• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dispelling the lies about Jim Ryan

Mabdia

SFV wasn't a 1st party? Yet, since I'll probably ditch Playstation 5, because the chances is that there will be no exclusives, I'm happy that they are releasing games on PC.

No, it does not hurt. But if I'll not get exclusives, why should I care about a overpriced plastic box that will not have hardware upgrades and I'll have to pay to play online, while I can have multiplayer for free on PC?

I'll give you that, they had to make game to Xbox and PC to keep the MLB license. Yet... while Xbox users will get the game for free, Playstation users will have to pay $60/70 for the game. You can't be serious trying to defend it.

MS can't put the game on gamepass without the developer/publisher deal. So...

7#

Censorship. Ok, it started before. But he had the power to stop it. Yet he does not.

When you say that you do care about something, you have to support your words. If you don't, every word that you say is the same of say nothing (witch to me is preferred).

#2 #3

Same thing as the censorship. He does not to keep the studio as it used to be. And don't tried to make as good as it used to be. And while I can accept that some of theirs games wasn't a big hit, even if it is just to add to the game catalog. Yoshida/House understand it.

Than, again, for the first time in more than 25 years is really easy just to ditch a Playstation.

Fredrik

What polls? Twitter?

If Sony offered a Game Pass equivalent on PS5 that offered all of their PS4, PS5 and even upgraded legacy titles on a single service literally every Sony fan here would be fucking singing from the rooftops.

This "game ownership" bullshit is only to damage control until Sony comes up with something. You don't own any game you purchase on PS5, $70 or not.

Doesn’t show no-Gamepass winning but it’s oh so close and I know I’ve seen polls with those results.
Never thought about it being damage control though...

Kuranghi

I'm not defending digital store closures but coming at it from a different angle:

I think its healthy for things to go away, possibly forever, appreciate the time you had with something and move on I say. Its like the fascination of people taking photos of everything ALL the time, can't you just have the memory and describe it to someone else if you have to? A photo isn't the real moment and neither is the memory.

I swear I'm not stoned.

Spacefish

I don't know why people hate Jim. He's been with PlayStation for years.
during his time as head of SIE Europe we saw the closure of a number of European studios including studio Liverpool and Evolution, both incredibly short sighted moves. Wipeout was a core part of PlayStation's identity and Evolution should have been used to form a forza horizon style spin off to their traditional Forza competitor GT. As soon as he becomes head of SIE we see the closure of their most interesting studio, Japan studio would have been key in the coming years when everything shifts to gamepass style services where variety and originality is key. They have successfully erased a massive part of their identity and he was in key positions for each one of these decisions.

Topher

Gold Member
I swear I'm not stoned.

yoda GIF

LMJ

Using bold on your font doesn't make your OP better you know? it's like shouting and expecting to be more eloquent.

Also
suck my dick GIF
yeah, I was on mobile and it was bolding everything regardless of what I did...annoying to put it kindly lol *fixed*

I will update if it when I have access to a PC...
also
Surprised Oh No GIF by LAIKA Studios

The same people complaining that Sony should have concentrated fully on the PS5 and ignored the PS4 are the same one shrieking loudest about the closure of the Vita and PS3 store. So you want Sony to support two gens ago but not last gen 🤔🤔🤔🤔 Anyone who has a Vita or PS3 (myself included) has already stripped them for the games we want. I doubt anyone new is coming in. Is it shit? Yes. Would I like more of an effort to incorporate BC into the PS5? Yes. Sony have behaved the same way to prior gens before Jim Ryan took over. Nothing has changed unfortunately.

There is alot of concern trolling in GAF at the moment. If we could ban threads about Jim Ryan along with all Gamepass is awesome/doomed threads for a week maybe we could get rid of alot of the shit on the board.
Yeah from a corporate level I can understand closing the PS3/Vita store, but Sony/Ryan were shit here to do it in such a rushed sloppy fashion, It should have come with a heads up months in advance to gamers and much more importantly Devs, many with Vita projects were screwed over by the news, ryan deserves ire for that shit, that and shutting down the old web PS store (forcing us into the PS3 and Vita stores respectfully)

I never understand why some grown as men get so emotional over random businessmen. Jim Ryan isn't a hellspawn nor is he a savior for everything good. He's just a skilled businessman who wants to maximize profits for the company he represents. He's not making posts on Twitter about how much of a gamer he is. He's in board meetings, figuring out what to cut, what the expand, and what to look for in the next fiscal year. He operates with a group of businesspeople who share the same goals as him (to make money). Everything that happens is under his control but he doesn't make those decisions, the people around him do the research and then come to conclusions for him. He isn't going to kill PlayStation or anything stupid like that. He's just there to make investors and big wigs at Sony Corporate happy.

Yeah I have no dog in this fight, if you check my post history I have also gone to bat for the big N and MS, I'm a gamer, but I have seen so many lies told lately I simply wanted to clear a few up and give my opinion on a few things as well (there's a reason "opinion" was tagged after all) but I agree with this post big time

Damn you guys are annoying, it’s starting to get entertaining. This is why I got banned on ResetEra. Because I couldn’t keep my mouth shut, and just called out everyone who is as dramatic as you OP.
Again, was going for tongue in cheek, did you read the OP? Don't give any real fucks about Ryan, if he's replaced tomorrow then so be it, (not going to happen though given the profits) I just get tired of BS being regurgitated on these forums ad nauseum, same goes for MS and Nintendo...

You can hate Ryans policies without resorting to lies, I have given a number of reasons myself to dislike him, I miss Shawn myself.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
And lastly, Sony releasing games on PC and Xbox hurts PS5 gamers because they no longer get the best version of the game they could if the devs had to focus on one platform. MLB The Show is literally the only sports game that comes with zero visual enhancements that take advantage of next gen hardware because San Diego studio, a tiny studio had to make 4 different versions for xbox alone. Horizon has likely been delayed because GG spent the last six months fixing the PC version of Horizon. How did this not affect PS gamers?
No. You realize that your PS5 is an x86-64 machine just like Xbox and PC, and is running literally the same architecture (Zen 2 and RDNA 2).

Quit acting like porting the game to Xbox or PC somehow effects the quality of the PS5 version.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No. You realize that your PS5 is an x86-64 machine just like Xbox and PC, and is running literally the same architecture (Zen 2 and RDNA 2).

Quit acting like porting the game to Xnox or PC somehow effects the quality of the PS5 version.
nonsense. it takes time and effort to port video games. time and effort that couldve been spent adding next gen upgrades.

no lies. i don't feel hopeful with jim so far.
besides he is as dry as a UK ox.

kutaragi has more gamer personality than jimbo.

search YT for kutaragi and giantbomb or kutaragi with Tekken director cafe

Seriously.

The leading suits after his tenure have been stiff to some degree or lacking creative foresight. They really don't give that vibe no matter how hard they try. At least they seemingly tried to carry forth Kutaragi's philosophy and legacy despite doing so in a somewhat half-hearted way.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
nonsense. it takes time and effort to port video games. time and effort that couldve been spent adding next gen upgrades.
The two moved to standardized architecture so making and porting games is much easier. This isn't the Cell vs PowerPC days.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: LMJ

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I have been gaming well before the Playstation was even a consideration, and I can't recall when a person...a single person has recieved the bile and hatred as much as Jim Ryan the current head of playstation, and yes that includes Mattrick and his silliness.

Ryan is being blamed for everything as if he's a madman pulling switches on his office wall like "kill Japanese support" and " make every PS title PC too", but people seem to either forget or ignore many a thing when it comes to this guy, so I thought maybe a thread that clears up some of the BS regarding Ryan's policies might be due if only to counter the fifty saying how he is gaming Hitler 2.0.

Let me be frank, I am currently VERY pissed with Sony due to the store closures, shutting down the webstore FORCING me to use the PS3 and Vita stores to purchase my games, so much in fact I am genuinely considering hacking both systems as a way to ensure my data is safe and get around Sony's shitty OS (seriously how many times do I need to RE-register my systems so I can use PSN Sony?!? That and the catering to the woke crap and the BS censorship has me leaning Anti-Sony as of late and don't even get me started on the 80 DOLLAR HIKE#@%$#%$@, but the hyperbole man OY it's bad,

#1 RYAN NEVER SAID THERE WOULDN'T BE CROSS-GEN GAMES

Ryan stated the following
, “We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.”
"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

That having been said, it was followed up by this

"We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan said. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s."

While potentially disingenuous, at no point did Ryan state the PS4 was to be forgotten (the opposite in fact) and we're ignoring the actual PS5 exclusives both here and coming soon

#2 JAPAN STUDIOS WAS STARTING TO DOWNSIZE BEFORE THE PS5 AND RYAN'S CONTROL BEGAN

Look, I'll be the first to admit that the recent news from Japan studios is disheartening, but the writings been on the wall for a while, after the Last guardian this has sadly become a trend and not only for Sony...
traditional gaming is dying in japan and mobile markets are king, Nintendo has proven that it can still hang in their homeland sales wise, but lets not pretend this isn't due to the Switches mobile capability. Japan studio's games simply aren't selling at home or abroad at necessary levels and those leaving are doing so by choice, it's not lay offs or firings its leaving to explore new options.

#3 JAPAN STUDIO'S IS NOT CLOSING, BUT RESTRUCTURING

Okay so the option is stay on with the team you know so well, but potentially work on something you're not feeling at all (let's be honest Astro Bots is great, but could you see some of these creative directors working on it?) Sounds like Sony is leaning into Astrobot hard and focusing less on the niche market, not saying there won't still be creative games, but that's news only the future will tell.

#4 THE PC SHIFT WAS STARTING WHEN HOUSE WAS STILL IN CHARGE

While it's true that hose stated that the PC and not the Xbox was Playstations greatest competition, it's also true that numerous games started to launch with PC cross-play and Exclusives such as street fighter were also released on the PC. Ryan may have accelerated the movement, but it was still underway before he took over.

#5 THE GAMES BEING ON PC DOESN"T HURT THE PSV EXPERIENCE IN ANYWAY! (JUST DICKHAT BRAGGING RIGHTS)

this is by far the most annoying point, if the PC see's these games how is the playstation experience hurt? Thus far the games have come out well after their original release... (whiny voice) "but the PC version comes with extra graphical features and modes" No shit sherlock, they're trying to get another sale out of it (PS IS a business after all) just like a deluxe edition the point is to make it desirable, and those with NICE PC's want to squeeze all the graphical juice they can from their beasts.

#6 THE SHOW GOING TO THE BOX IS PROOF THAT RYAN IS A SHITHEAD AND TERRIBLE PRESIDENT (Sign my petition)

No, it's proof the MLB (Major League Baseball) screwed Sony's studio and basically forced them to go Multi-plat, it's not even published by Sony on the Box, but the MLB. MS was brilliant to put it on Gamepass though lol X

#7 RYAN IS A CENSOR NAZI, CENSORING EVERYTHING AND IT STARTED WITH HIM!!!

Nope, well sort of anyway (a partial truth I guess) I despise censorship and while it's continued under him, that shit started in 2016-2017 with Japanese niche games, and it's only gotten worse, blame the woke "save the children" REEE crowd, but only partly blame Ryan if you must. (like I said that shits still going strong sadly)

and lastly a bonus one

#80085 :p IF YOU GIVE RYAN CREDIT FOR THE ALL THE SHIT, THEN YOU HAVE TO GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR ALL THE AWESOME! (it's only fair)

let's be honest here, Ryan likely isn't responsible for half of the shit that he gets blamed for, a President and CEO is dealing with a lot of shit and thus hires trustworthy people under them to make decisions, the same applies here, but hey...it's only fair

DEMON'S SOULS REMAKE - (cue Fry meme) So generous J.R

FINALLY BEING ABLE TO BUY OUR PLUS GAMES - Thanks Ryan

PS PLUS COLLECTION - Jim, you so nice to us :messenger_heart:

PLAY AT HOME INITIATIVE (Many free games) - Ryan san how did you know?

ASTROBOT ON EVERY V - A marketing ploy for the DualSense, a great game? Jim Ryan says "why not both"

THE DUALSENSE - Master Ryan feels your satisfaction

TWO DIFFERENT SKUS...SAME POWER - Ryan says no to a SERIESuS predicament (get it) :lollipop_tongue:

PS4 BC IS PRETTY MUCH FLAWLESS - Jim knows about great BC afterall (and shut up Box fans, nobody asked you)

ps4 playstation GIF

Okay, now that we've gotten that stupidity out of the way can we go back to arguing about which system has a minor resolution lead or a few frames advantage...you know like the civil forum we are :D

Another One Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA
I mean that's all fine and good, but I just don't like that muhfucca.

Ever since he exclaimed that Xbox One X and PS4 Pro would/should have parity even though the X1X was much more powerful left a sour taste in my mouth.

Instead of just putting efforts into making a better system, he bet on the devs to make sure Playstation wasn't left in the dust performance-wise. That shit is just plain lazy.

Yes the PS4 Pro came out a year before, but to suggest that somehow the devs are beholden to Sony when their mid-gen system is inferior in terms of specs is a slap in the face to gamers in general.

He should have said, "Xbox may have the power crown for now, but wait to see what's coming for Playstation" and then go on to clap back with their own beast. The PS5 is a great console, but still weaker than the XSX.

This is just a fact. Not all this is on Jim. That much is true. But to say he doesn't deserve a good amount of this vitriol is bonkers, He's the captain of the damn ship.

EDIT: To be clear...I didn't really like House either. I like Kaz, I tolerated Layden, I love Kevin Butler. I'm ok with Yoshida.

Last edited:
They're not getting many PC sales, and not a lot of money is coming in. It's not their bread and butter like it is Microsoft's, so it makes absolutely no sense to me that a company known for its first party lineup of games wants to kill its own gaming business. The positive thing is that more people get to enjoy those games and the exclusivity isn't completely "dead" as you can't play them on any other console. Killing the PS business would moreso be, in my eyes, going full on multiplat. Just become a publisher like Sega at that point, and make PC the main platform and kill off consoles. Isn't that what PC elitists want?

Street Fighter V, Persona 4, and FF7R aren't first party games, and porting Street Fighter to PC with PS funding was the only way it was going to be made.

Mr.ODST

Imagine being a grown adult and making a post like this ... wow

People losing their minds because of MS news

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The two moved to standardized architecture so making and porting games is much easier. This isn't the Cell vs PowerPC days.
Doesnt matter if its easier than it ever was, It's still time consuming. First party studios are far smaller than traditional multiplat studios because they dont need to do ports. If porting was so easy and automatic then you wouldnt need these third party porting studios like Nixxes. Sony hired another studio to port Horizon to PC. Same architecture so why did it even take a different studios months if not a year to port it over?

Why then even after launch did GG had to get directly involved and release 10 patches over the course of 6 weeks to fix all the bugs that were not issues on the PS4? Because its different.

I cant believe we are even arguing about this. Porting games takes time and resources. it's as simple as that.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Doesnt matter if its easier than it ever was, It's still time consuming. First party studios are far smaller than traditional multiplat studios because they dont need to do ports. If porting was so easy and automatic then you wouldnt need these third party porting studios like Nixxes. Sony hired another studio to port Horizon to PC. Same architecture so why did it even take a different studios months if not a year to port it over?

Why then even after launch did GG had to get directly involved and release 10 patches over the course of 6 weeks to fix all the bugs that were not issues on the PS4? Because its different.

I cant believe we are even arguing about this. Porting games takes time and resources. it's as simple as that.
I would just like to point out you destroyed your own logic there. You claim that the time and effort to port a game takes away from the studio, then state how Sony hires another company to do it.

In so far as next gen upgrades: buy a game/system for what it is, not what it could be. If you want better performance, perhaps the games will have them when they come to PC as HZD did.

Maybe Sony's going to bring back the Vaio.

SlimySnake

I would just like to point out you destroyed your own logic there. You claim that the time and effort to port a game takes away from the studio, then state how Sony hires another company to do it.

In so far as next gen upgrades: buy a game/system for what it is, not what it could be. If you want better performance, perhaps the games will have them when they come to PC as HZD did.

Maybe Sony's going to bring back the Vaio.
Go back and read the first post you replied to. I was talking about MLB The Show not getting next gen upgrades because their studio had to port the game to 4 xbox consoles. You took issue with that. They didnt hire any external studios to port MLB. And the PS owners got a shitty last gen version because of that.

In the case of Sony hiring a port studio to do the job, you can tell that even that shit didnt work out and GG had to step in and waste 6 months fixing the bugs. Six months that were taken from polishing and finishing horizon 2.

So in either case, sony games going multiplatform did not end well for PS owners.

no lies. i don't feel hopeful with jim so far.
besides he is as dry as a UK ox.

kutaragi has more gamer personality than jimbo.

search YT for kutaragi and giantbomb or kutaragi with Tekken director cafe
Kuturagi? You mean Yoshida? Hira?

Kuturagi really doesn’t have much to do with modern PlayStation.

assurdum

Banned
I don't want justify the haters of Jim Ryan but this man to be fair is terrible in PR communications and that's why people hate him for the most, imo. He seems out of touch too many times and it seems he has a sort of curse: whatever it piss off more the hardcore gamers, inevitably Jim Ryan does it, if I can say

Last edited:

LMJ

Not as impressive. Similar architecture.

Er...yeah it's sarcasm...

Cheezus people, you do get that the entirety of the end of my OP is a gag right?

I mean the fact number alone should be an indicator, but there is also emojis, in jokes (Ryan poo pooed BC with the PS4) and absurdities aplenty...

Again, the dude is a cut and dry corporate man, profits are clearly his forte he is as socially likeable as a turnip lol

Humdinger Humdinger
Nah, Ryan has earned some of the hate, but there is alot of BS out there like the constant "but he said generations" crap...

Last edited:

Keihart

I don't want justify the haters of Jim Ryan but this man to be fair is terrible in PR communications and that's why people hate him for the most, imo. He seems out of touch too many times and it seems he has a sort of curse: whatever it piss off more the hardcore gamers, inevitably Jim Ryan does it, if I can say
"Why would anybody play this" Jim Ryan about GT in a GT event with all the old games.
iu

Jim is Sony’s don matrick.....I’m sorry to say but his direction has pretty much been to ride the coat tails of the ps4 success and deliver a successor which was clearly unfinished with a typical sparse first party lineup sprinkled in with some very unconsumer friendly decisions

if there was not shortage issues on electronics the heat on him would be much more intense and as each positive announcement by Nintendo or ms comes out we get 2 bad ones from sony....this is not the way to keep your consumer base happy

LMJ

This is starting to get creepy. Hes just a corporate suit.

that he is, like so many it's all about profits with Jimbo

"Why would anybody play this" Jim Ryan about GT in a GT event with all the old games.
iu

hence why he can say that with a straight face Sony as a whole has been embarrassing with it's legacy support, and that's going back to Allstars having absolutely nothing to celebrate their history!

Nubulax

Jim is Sony’s don matrick.....I’m sorry to say but his direction has pretty much been to ride the coat tails of the ps4 success and deliver a successor which was clearly unfinished with a typical sparse first party lineup sprinkled in with some very unconsumer friendly decisions

if there was not shortage issues on electronics the heat on him would be much more intense and as each positive announcement by Nintendo or ms comes out we get 2 bad ones from sony....this is not the way to keep your consumer base happy

If this is your take what is your take on MS and Phil lol. Completely screwed up Halo which they were clearly depending on to carry them for a year + with barely any first party after that. Have had to walk back the most powerful console comment and they seem to be basically on par with eachother. If they hadnt had to have the larger MS corporation bail out their poor mismanagement XBOX as a brand with an 8 BILLION dollar studio acquisiton.. would prob be dead and never catching up to PS and Nintendo. Its great things are on gamepass but they would have been on the system regardless so...its not like people are GAINING new games only thing that changes is how much you might possibly pay.

Last edited:
What I find funny is that we know so little about PlayStation's future plans yet we have meltdown threads like this and many others calling Jim Ryan a hack or idiot for ruining PlayStation.

I swear, GAF has been a goldmine for LOL's for me these past few weeks. The carnival of stupid continues...

tenor.gif

This fucking forum man.

w1HjGYD.jpg
There must be cheap drugs on sale somewhere cause it's been like this for the past few weeks. Jim Ryan threads popping up everywhere.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
What I find funny is that we know so little about PlayStation's future plans yet we have meltdown threads like this and many others calling Jim Ryan a hack or idiot for ruining PlayStation.

I swear, GAF has been a goldmine for LOL's for me these past few weeks. The carnival of stupid continues...

tenor.gif

There must be cheap drugs on sale somewhere cause it's been like this for the past few weeks. Jim Ryan threads popping up everywhere.

that's the issue! ps future is as hazy as jimbo pale skin. 🤷‍♀️

with all the closures, from evo studios to japan studios to digital stores to multiplatforming. makes it more and more insecure to invest in his ecosystem

longdi

Banned
hopefully more gamers jump on the 3 years GP conversion hack. it's great value! forget about jimbo and his nonsense.

please spread the message!

graywolf323

why are you linking an article before the system launched? :pie_diana:

this is more accurate since it's based on actual testing instead of a list that labeled something as bootable instead of compatible

Top Bottom