• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Sarcasm

Okay this fight is bugged.

I can't see HP and armour. The cursor doesn't mention blocked path..but that should not matter as the dude is within kissing distance. No % shows up.

hummm.

Deleting my save. This mode blows when its just buffing the enemies and you get so little after pickpocketing and killing everybody.

The second arena.

This fight blows because the enemies can nearly one shot me. Sure I do 300+ damage on both mine but its meaningless when enemies can move way more than you AND attack way more than you in ONE turn.

This is not tactical. Especially since yea screwed at the start.

The dudes even have shit tons of HP way more than my characters lol. Stats too!

Driftwood arena seems impossible at first, but it's really not. Just keep everyone supporting each other. I had my party divided into two spots and stay there the whole fight and let the enemies come to me.

IINM the larger troll and arena champ will still fail.

Yeah, that's why I specifically said 99% of the times. There are persuasion checks that are actually impossible. There's also another one with the black
tiger in Act 3.

Sarcasm

I only have two people. Who can do a lot in one turn and wearing purples with 300 damage. I can only attack within like 1m.

Which becomes moot. Do these enemies stay at lvl 10? Because this isn't fun nor is tactical. Freaking staff of magnus hits my dude for 200 damage with armour still up. lol.

Can't be worse then the padding of enemies in Nioh but still.

Yea if they stay at 10 I have to come back..ohh tactical ohhhh.

These dudes can literally one shot my dudes from anywhere lol.

Xeteh

There needs to be a better way to craft a staff of a certain element aside from save scumming. Unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem to give a shit about what shell you use, the same one can give any elemental property.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I'm surprised there isn't a mod to revert the Initiative system back to the way it used to be in OS1, must be really hard-coded to the game. I look for it everyday on the Nexus and Steam workshop hoping to find it.

It's also interesting because some of the bosses have a HUGE amount of initiative + more than 6 AP + summon 'minions' which then disrupts the turn order even further, raising the odds against you.

Which becomes moot. Do these enemies stay at lvl 10? Because this isn't fun nor is tactical. Freaking staff of magnus hits my dude for 200 damage with armour still up. lol.

AFAIK enemy levels do remain static, yes, so you can come back at 16-18 and murder them if you've been good about upgrading gear and such.

Act 1 Gratina (sp?) Spoilers

Found her soul jar while exploring. Went back and visited her and no change to her dialogue options. Should i be able to do something with it?

sadblob

Found her soul jar while exploring. Went back and visited her and no change to her dialogue options. Should i be able to do something with it?

Yep, something should happen. Are you talking with the character that has the jar in their inventory?

Metroidvania

Hold onto it.

IIRC there's a bug(?) where
you have to rescue the seeker Gareth and get him back to camp before she will acknowledge it - as that area is also related to another quest that shows up after you rescue him

Sarcasm

AFAIK enemy levels do remain static, yes, so you can come back at 16-18 and murder them if you've been good about upgrading gear and such.

Thanks. I already pick pocketed everybody in town so I can't get anything else. Is there another town in this act? Everything I find is subpar to be honest. I am stuck at 466 HP while enemies seem to have 800+ more. Though I can get to them they go down fast.

What is stupid is sudden appearance of more enemies for some unknown reason.

Some of the fights are great, like the boss one in Act 1.

Then you got this junk that floats to the surface.

Metroidvania

Thanks. I already pick pocketed everybody in town so I can't get anything else. Is there another town in this act? Everything I find is subpar to be honest. I am stuck at 466 HP while enemies seem to have 800+ more. Though I can get to them they go down fast.

While money is an issue, inventory refreshes with NPCs every time someone levels up (and maybe after an hour of in-game time? Not sure on the 2nd one), so worse comes to it you should be able to scrape some upgrades.

And TBH, your base damage goes up pretty significantly based on level for a lot of skills, but half the hp does seem kind of low...have you been putting anything into constitution?

What is stupid is sudden appearance of more enemies for some unknown reason.

Some of the fights are great, like the boss one in Act 1.

Then you got this junk that floats to the surface.

Agreed, the enemies uncloaking and/or (not)summoning more minions is pretty dumb and seems designed for a 'hit reload and try over from the beginning' aspect.

Sarcasm

While money is an issue, inventory refreshes with NPCs every time someone levels up (and maybe after an hour of in-game time? Not sure on the 2nd one), so worse comes to it you should be able to scrape some upgrades.

And TBH, your base damage goes up pretty significantly based on level for a lot of skills, but half the hp does seem kind of low...have you been putting anything into constitution?

Agreed, the enemies uncloaking and/or (not)summoning more minions is pretty dumb and seems designed for a 'hit reload and try over from the beginning' aspect.

Heh no I been dumping my main stat (thinking it helps with the persuasion skill).

Yeah but you can't pickpocket more then once for some odd reason. Why? lol

Yes gold is an issue. =(

I've had that in my mind in lots of encounters. 'Shit, looks like I'll have to reload and restart'.

But most of the time, I refrain from doing that to see if I can actually overcome them on my first try.

It always feels good when I do.

sadblob

Heh no I been dumping my main stat (thinking it helps with the persuasion skill).

Yeah but you can't pickpocket more then once for some odd reason. Why? lol

Yes gold is an issue. =(

Don't know how it is with the new Lucky Charm, but I was able to buy pretty much every upgrade (when LC didn't provide me with one) in act 2 (and onwards) just by selling my found loot.

Sarcasm

Don't know how it is with the new Lucky Charm, but I was able to buy pretty much every upgrade (when LC didn't provide me with one) in act 2 (and onwards) just by selling my found loot.

I did this on my second toon =(

Guess I have to sneak and steal everything again. Then sell them all for 25g >.>

Which is why I don't understand, I don't get great gear at all. I checked every NPC and stole/bought. Still character is subpar (besides damage lol). Not rich even too.

Renekton

Wow I missed or failed a fkton of quests bungling through everything without looking things up, also lots of crafting potential. I think I'm kinda boned for endgame.

So...I got this game based on all the positive word of mouth on it and I spent about a half a day on it and I am getting Rocked.

I am fairly new to this type of RPG (mobile but turnbased.....rpgs that Im use to are shit like final fantasy, mmos, dark souls, etc)...i honestly dont know what the fuck I'm doing. All i know is....

I'm on the first area (After the ship wreck) and I keep getting owned. It's always some opening AOE spell the enemy does (Whether it's some fire shit or poison shit) that owns my whole team and I am in damage control right at the start. and I always have 1 or 2 people die before i kill the guy. Can I get some tips? I dont know what the fuck I'm doing wrong. Maybe I just dont have enough gear or items? but its the damn beginning. I dont have any money.

Zzzonked

So...I got this game based on all the positive word of mouth on it and I spent about a half a day on it and I am getting Rocked.

I am fairly new to this type of RPG (mobile but turnbased.....rpgs that Im use to are shit like final fantasy, mmos, dark souls, etc)...i honestly dont know what the fuck I'm doing. All i know is....

I'm on the first area (After the ship wreck) and I keep getting owned. It's always some opening AOE spell the enemy does (Whether it's some fire shit or poison shit) that owns my whole team and I am in damage control right at the start. and I always have 1 or 2 people die before i kill the guy. Can I get some tips? I dont know what the fuck I'm doing wrong. Maybe I just dont have enough gear or items? but its the damn beginning. I dont have any money.

Make sure you have 4 in your party. Early mobs that are easy to kill are the crocodiles and the assassin on the beach that tries to kill Red Prince. For easy early gear have someone with sneaking and thievery and steal some gear/spells from vendors. Teleportation spell is extremely useful early on for teleporting extra mobs away from you or over to your melee dudes.

Make sure you have 4 in your party. Early mobs that are easy to kill are the crocodiles and the assassin on the beach that tries to kill Red Prince. For easy early gear have someone with sneaking and thievery and steal some gear/spells from vendors. Teleportation spell is extremely useful early on for teleporting extra mobs away from you or over to your melee dudes.

i killed the assassin and the crocs.

AOE stuff is really giving me trouble though.

that one guy eating corpses literally rocks my crew. I have 4 in my party.

sadblob

To prevent AOE from wrecking you, you can try to unchain your party and approach every battle from different positions, trying to find high ground for your ranged guys to give you an advantage.

Arulan

I'll typically scout out ahead with my Wits/Sneaking character, who also happens to be a Ranger. If I see an area that looks suspicious I'll try to find high ground and move my caster somewhere safe.

Zzzonked

He's pretty tough early on, try complete a few quests that don't require combat to get another level up. Also as another poster said above, unchain your party before a battle and position them in different spots.

He's pretty tough early on, try complete a few quests that don't require combat to get another level up. Also as another poster said above, unchain your party before a battle and position them in different spots.

This. Tackle the arena later after you're confident with your party.

Reivaxe

The second arena.

This fight blows because the enemies can nearly one shot me. Sure I do 300+ damage on both mine but its meaningless when enemies can move way more than you AND attack way more than you in ONE turn.

This is not tactical. Especially since yea screwed at the start.

The dudes even have shit tons of HP way more than my characters lol. Stats too!

1- Have a summoner with 10 points in summon
2- Summon. Your summon and totems is not blinded.
3- empower it.
4- have it delete armor as your front line walks up.
5- CC chain ftw
6- Profit.

(also steal all you can from the dude you have to talk to to get the fight going. He's LOADED and his gear made it much easier. Wasn't hard after a few tries.)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I finished Ifan's story path and I just realized steam lists this achievement as being obtained by 0.28% of all people. Is Ifan not popular as a pick or is his quest line extremely buggy?
Basically the red price has a 1.1% completion rate, fane has like 0.3% and a lot of the other characters are listed as 0%.

Considering the game has been completed by at least 2.5% of all players you'd expect these to be a bit higher.

So I finished Ifan's story path and I just realized steam lists this achievement as being obtained by 0.28% of all people. Is Ifan not popular as a pick or is his quest line extremely buggy?

Basically the red price has a 1.1% completion rate, fane has like 0.3% and a lot of the other characters are listed as 0%.

Yeah, I think some of the Origins quests achievements are bugged.

I've completed everyone's quest but only Red Prince and Lohse registered, while Beast and Sebille's didn't.

Ryzaki009

1- Have a summoner with 10 points in summon
2- Summon. Your summon and totems is not blinded.
3- empower it.
4- have it delete armor as your front line walks up.
5- CC chain ftw
6- Profit.

(also steal all you can from the dude you have to talk to to get the fight going. He's LOADED and his gear made it much easier. Wasn't hard after a few tries.)

Yeah summoner makes that blind fight a joke. I had two summoners too so it was pretty much GG.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
i don't think i've ever used a barrel in any fight for any reason in both Divinity Original Sin's

In DOS1 classic my original strategy for killing Braccus Rex was to block off the entire area with boxes so the enemies could only trickle out one at a time lol. For enhanced edition i didn't need to. I swear larian probably realized "hey the 2nd major boss fight of the game PROBABLY shouldn't be sooooo hard"

In general I don't think anything in EE or DOS2 is as hard as the stuff in DOS1 classic, that game was just rough and I had to lay on the cheese hard.

Also fun fact, the DOS1 classic leech + blood letting combo works in DOS2 but you need rupture tendons and to run across the map to get it to work.

In general I think DOS1:EE was a better experience than DOS2. Every story beat and major moment seemed to flow much more naturally and the side quests felt like they were place so you'd do them on your way to the next major story beat. DOS2 is in dire need of an enhanced edition, the 3rd act is like ridiculously short and the 4th act feels like one big puzzle to figure out how to get into the final area where the final boss fight just kind of starts lol. Act 2 is definitely DOS2's strongest point. The rest of the game feels really messy by comparison.

Renekton

In general I don't think anything in EE or DOS2 is as hard as the stuff in DOS1 classic, that game was just rough and I had to lay on the cheese hard.
No fking way. For default difficulty, OS1 is a lot easier than OS2. For the first game, I was chilling with my friend, not min-maxing (like I am now) and doing random things for laughs. He just laid on no-brainer elemental combos and it's cruise city.

Sentenza

i don't think i've ever used a barrel in any fight for any reason in both Divinity Original Sin's
Me neither.
I appreciate that it's somewhat an option, something the game allows to a certain extent, but I couldn't be bothered to use that sort of "cheese" to solve a fight... And I don't think I would enjoy it either.

Lanrutcon

Explosives got nerfed due to the armor system. The new hotness is Deathfog.

I cleared Tactician in the original with only barrels and grenades, ending almost every fight before it began. In the sequel, you're lucky if 10 barrels gets through the magic armor of a mid game boss.

Sygma

Stuck as fuck on the ship and have No fuckin idea where to go. Would love if the game gave you pointers instead of having to Google shit. Had to google that i had to loot a certain corpse to open a door, would never find dumb shit that on my own.

This is old school crpg level obtuse.

Huh ? the game tells you straight that you can break doors. Just hold ctrl and click on it, otherwise you missed something as far as dialogue is concerned

In the sequel, you're lucky if 10 barrels gets through the magic armor of a mid game boss.

Pretty much. In the end rangers aren't really that op when you realise that Poly is completely whacked, my second playthrough will be a full villain + poly one

Lanrutcon

Huh ? the game tells you straight that you can break doors. Just hold ctrl and click on it

Pretty much. In the end rangers aren't really that op when you realise that Poly is completely whacked, my second playthrough will be a full villain + poly one

Oh, no. Rangers are OP as fuck :p Most broken build in the game, hands down. Way too many ways to synergize damage. They're badass in the first half of the game, and they turn the second half into jelly.

Pretty sure Warfare is going to get rebalanced at some point.

Sarcasm

He thinks you are his mommy!

It adsorbs source though...

Even follows me into the hall of echoes lol
___

Now its gone =(

Also getting tired of persuasion not working when I use my highest stat which is almost around 50.

I see what people meant about steam rolling chapter 3... The only challenge ive had so far is trying to target some ranger who managed to Tactical Retreat to some place my camera refused to see.

Are there any sub quests on this chapter? I just want to kill everyone here.

Lanrutcon

I see what people meant about steam rolling chapter 3... The only challenge ive had so far is trying to target some ranger who managed to Tactical Retreat to some place my camera refused to see.

Are there any sub quests on this chapter? I just want to kill everyone here.

There are actually! Chapter 3 had some well hidden quests. The order in which you do certain things also influence quest availability. Oh, and spirit vision everywhere!

GlamFM

Banned
I´m super intrigued, but I´m afraid this game could be too complex/deep for me and I might lose interest. (?)

For reference:

Burned out on:

-Witcher 3
-Dragon age 2&3
-Finaly Fantasy XV

Finished:

-Skyrim
-Diablo III

What should I do?

Sanctuary

Not only that, but the initiative stat is pretty neutered (the crit chance is still decent, but there's no point in stacking it for having your team go first due to the re-balance of you-enemy-you-enemy-extra enemies), so it's basically only 'primary stat > Con > memory/wits.

Even CON isn't really useful aside from shield requirements. It's more like main stat > non main stat requirements for gear that might have bonuses good enough to warrant wearing > WIT <> MEM (depending on build since most can go with the default, or at worst pick up Mneumonic).

But if nothing else, non-summoner magic needs a warfare equivalent, and/or some other way of closing the gap, especially given the longer cooldowns on most spells.

Currently playing a group of four elemental, non Summoning casters. I knew it would be quite a bit different than the all physical team of my last playthrough, but my god. It's not simply slightly worse, it's fucking awful. Of course, I'm only level six right now, and I know how "adequate" Pyromancy can get halfway through Act 2 and then later on with a high crit chance, but for now the struggle is real. This is just on Classic. I cannot fathom anyone doing this on Tactician.

There needs to be a better way to craft a staff of a certain element aside from save scumming. Unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem to give a shit about what shell you use, the same one can give any elemental property.

I just don't understand why the crafting system in this game is so anemic compared to the robust system in EE. Even the most basic shit like crafting wands or staves of an element you want isn't in, and there doesn't seem to be any legitimate reason behind it other than them not giving the system priority and intending to add stuff later. Boots, Gloves, Helms, Belts? Nope, and all you get for armor is...armor with 0 modifiers.

I´m super intrigued, but I´m afraid this game could be too complex/deep for me and I might lose interest. (?)

For reference:

Burned out on:

-Witcher 3
-Dragon age 2&3
-Finaly Fantasy XV

Finished:

-Skyrim
-Diablo III

What should I do?

If you are ok with turn based combat then it's a no brainer. Still in act 1 but I can definitely see why people are calling it the best rpg in years.

As I understand it the game doesn't really have level scaling, and Act 3 enemies tend to be 16-18?

Does anyone feel like there could be a benefit to having some light level scaling? My co op game has us at 17 at the end of Act 2 - waiting in the patch so hopefully today - and although that is on us it feels a little disappointing that we will start overlevelled for what comes next.

We've tried to do as many quests as possible so we were always going to be more powerful than the average player but I guess what I mean is, the game feels a bit simple in it's difficulty.

As we get higher levels, the enemies don't seem to grow more complex and rise to the challenge. Maybe that happens in Act 3 with new abilities etc but yeah..

Maybe this would be fixed if the stats (Warfare etc) were rebalance so more build variety etc was viable. That way it wouldn't feel like you were dumping points into a stat priority order and could do some wild things.

Tbh we do a pretty good job of making things difficult for ourselves at times but there's a general feel that the game is a bit less tense now than at Fort Joy

Reani

For reference:

Burned out on:

-Witcher 3
-Dragon age 2&3
-Finaly Fantasy XV

Finished:

-Skyrim
-Diablo III

What should I do?
its just as big as witcher 3, so chances are you gonna burn out.
i loved DOS1 and in second game i cant get myself to play past act 3. its been 50 hours and i am just overwhelmed (plus as of now its quite buggy)

Top Bottom