• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

do skillbooks work on a per character basis? Like if I want two characters to be able to use skill X and they both have the required stats, do I need two of the same book?

Question regarding the Act 2 cemetery, there's a
chest on fire related to Red Prince's quest where two Lizard head statues are burning the chest constantly. What do I do with it?

Sanctuary

Pretty sure that's
the lava realm you briefly enter when travelling between portals within the Gargoyle Maze.

That was the first thing I checked. Yet when I was in that area, it didn't show the same world map at all. It also looks really expansive compared to the few steps you wander in it.

I thought that was
the subterranean area of Fort Joy

With the
Fire Slug Queen?
. It might be, but it seems too far away to be. Guess I'll warp back and see if that's it.

edit: Nope, completely different map structure.

Tovarisc

These dialogue checks are so frustrating. Makes me wonder how much stat X (Str is in most if not all while Finesse barely in any?) and Persuasion you need to stack to pass that shit.

In Act 2 I failed check in
first towns inns that bartender woman about accessing her sons room upstairs.
Did I miss out on something awesome?

Arulan

489 heal compared to 183 over 2 turns for Restoration. Not bad ey

But what if we had non magic related 489 HP nuke for mage

Yea blood sucker is very good, its the type of ability you can build a killer squad around.

Does Blood Sucker scale off of the target's Hydrosophist?

These dialogue checks are so frustrating. Makes me wonder how much stat X (Str is in most if not all while Finesse barely in any?) and Persuasion you need to stack to pass that shit.

In Act 2 I failed check in
first towns inns that bartender woman about accessing her sons room upstairs.
Did I miss out on something awesome?

My Red Prince never failed a dialogue check since the first act. He has 4 points in persuasion and 14 wits. I mostly go with strength or wits.

I'm roughly at the same point as you. It's only a room with books and stuff upstairs which you can safely lockpick anyway (it's not a red door).

Speely

Banned
What are your thoughts on custom vs origin characters for the MC?

I've restarted about 5 times because I am not sure lol. I am leaning toward custom just because I like having control over every aspect of my character.

How does skill crafting work? I've read that you can combine an Aerotheurge Skill Book and a Teleportation Scroll to get a Teleportation Skill Book, but it's not working. What am I doing wrong?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Stealing is definitely the most useful non-combat skill, Jesus. Cleaning out so many skillbooks and pieces of gear.

It basically breaks the game imo. I have around 150k gold and can pick up upgrades nonstop. Enemies on classic don't stand a chance with high thievery.

It basically breaks the game imo. I have around 150k gold and can pick up upgrades nonstop. Enemies on classic don't stand a chance with high thievery.

Yup... At one point a quest gave me a chance to gift gold to an NPC. It was like, 15/50/150 for a slight/generous/opulent gift.

I had about 5,000 gold, so... yeah.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
So i have like 15 quests in Fort Joy but can't go anywhere else without escaping the place. Am i missing something or are these quests to be completed outside the place?

Pls bois

Whide

Sometimes after a battle dialogue starts instantly. However it doesn't automatically initiate it with your main character. Instead it usually initiates with the other party members. Is there any way for my MC to be the one to do the talking?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't fully understand this game, but I'm enjoying it for the most part. I'm not a massive fan of the combat still, this is my first real experience with turn based and I'm not fully sold on it yet, plus I still don't really get it, sometimes my players are just skipped over, I know stunned/frozen causes this but I couldn't see any debuffs (it happened a lot in the
Witch
fight which I just did). The story telling and characters are really what's keeping me playing, everything is so well done and interesting, I find myself getting lost for hours which I need right now.

wamberz1

I am getting absolutely destroyed by everything in the first area. Am I supposed to pick up more companions? I was going to wait till later in the game to get more and stick with just one for now but I'm getting curbstomped.

Can anyone share tips for playing Divinity Original Sin EE for the first time? Any must knows or something you recommend linking me to? Thanks in advance!

I still don't fully understand this game, but I'm enjoying it for the most part. I'm not a massive fan of the combat still, this is my first real experience with turn based and I'm not fully sold on it yet, plus I still don't really get it, sometimes my players are just skipped over, I know stunned/frozen causes this but I couldn't see any debuffs (it happened a lot in the
Witch
fight which I just did). The story telling and characters are really what's keeping me playing, everything is so well done and interesting, I find myself getting lost for hours which I need right now.

Yeah, I think the game needs a proper tutorial area like the first one.

There's somewhat a tutorial area in the ship, but it barely teaches anything about combat.

I am getting absolutely destroyed by everything in the first area. Am I supposed to pick up more companions? I was going to wait till later in the game to get more and stick with just one for now but I'm getting curbstomped.

Yes, you should pick up the companions as soon as you enter the fort. Choose the ones that you like the most and stick with them.

Will I regret not picking one of the origin stories, or is the plot pretty fulfilling with a custom character?

Origin characters have unique dialogue options, and some people recognize them when talking to them. I think that's about it.

You can also make a custom character but play as one of the Origins as your main, if you desire.

A tip: Positioning is key.

When you're in dialogue and it's definitely going to be a fight, switch to your other character and unchain everyone. Position them in appropriate spots that can fully maximize their potential. Lastly, cast a long-lasting party buff then immediately switch back to your main character to start the fight. You can also cast environmental spells like rain if it's necessary for your party combo. This way, you can save some AP at the start of the fight.

bati

Is there a way to transfer
Summon Familiar
spell to another character? In my case it was Red Prince who got it and I'd love to have it on my summoner instead.

Ryzaki009

Yup... At one point a quest gave me a chance to gift gold to an NPC. It was like, 15/50/150 for a slight/generous/opulent gift.

I had about 5,000 gold, so... yeah.

lol yeah a magister lost her head because I gave her a whopping 100 gold when I had 50k on my person ._.

That was the first thing I checked. Yet when I was in that area, it didn't show the same world map at all. It also looks really expansive compared to the few steps you wander in it.

With the
Fire Slug Queen?
. It might be, but it seems too far away to be. Guess I'll warp back and see if that's it.

edit: Nope, completely different map structure.

It's the cave where
you fight Radeka
. Right next to the wintery area.

aliengmr

Pretty sneaky waiting until act 2 to make it impossible. Literally wipe at every fight now. Although "fight" usually consists of the first enemy pummeling my group to near death and maybe taking out one of theirs if I'm lucky.

Also fleeing is fucking worthless, the game made it sound like if a fight is too tough "just flee" but I haven't been able to do it thus far.

The difficulty is already the lowest setting.

Couple questions for act 1:

1. In the cave in the back of Fort Joy
there is a girl that can sense the thing inside Lohse. I end up having to fight her. Can I avoid this? What is the best way to deal with this?

2. Where is the Aerothurge seller, I'd quite like to steal a teleport spell

Stiler

Can someone tell me regarding Beast:

Does he not have a personal story in the first act? I have been doing all the personal quests for the companions and I swapped the Red Prince out for Beast and he mentions a guy named Lohar in Driftwood, which I assume is not in the first act is it?

Couple questions for act 1:

1. In the cave in the back of Fort Joy
there is a girl that can sense the thing inside Lohse. I end up having to fight her. Can I avoid this? What is the best way to deal with this?

2. Where is the Aerothurge seller, I'd quite like to steal a teleport spell

Beat on Lhose for a while and she'll stop and snap out of it, everything is cool after that.

2. It's Gawain,
the guy that gives you the quest for stealing the teleport gloves off the crocodiles. He doesn't live long after that so get stealing/buying

Can someone tell me regarding Beast:

Does he not have a personal story in the first act? I have been doing all the personal quests for the companions and I swapped the Red Prince out for Beast and he mentions a guy named Lohar in Driftwood, which I assume is not in the first act is it?

Yeah it seems pretty short in Act 1. It picks up once you get to Act 2.

Question regarding the Act 2 cemetery, there's a
chest on fire related to Red Prince's quest where two Lizard head statues are burning the chest constantly. What do I do with it?

I dragged the chest out of the flames with a high STR character and then used a water spell on it. It's silly but works.

aravuus

How's the writing in this as compared to the first? Really wanting a new co-op game, but we got about an hour into the first before dropping it thanks to the horrible dialogue and overall cheesiness.

Infinitely better

They found the perfect balance between cheesy quirkiness and serious stuff, imo

Jesus fucking christ, I'm so glad I'm done with that fight. Beware of your framerate when you go into the Blackpits in Act 2.

dtp8bjn.jpg

Alastor3

So I have a Hunter with polymorph but it seems I do little damage compared to my friend with pyro/summoning. I did put a lot of point in Wit and Fitness (I want to see traps and i got glass cannon) but other than that, I don't know what to do to hit more, just put more point in fitness? Also, maybe it's because we play 4 players but getting money is very hard to come by.

Did the fire keep burning after the fight for you? Did for me and couldn't get out of it. Took three Rez scrolls...and yeah fuck that fight

It did, but it eventually faded away so I can continue the dialogue.
I had to Bless the fire so many times just to save that dumb NPC who kept running through the fire trying to attack the oil blobs

Sanctuary

It's the cave where
you fight Radeka
. Right next to the wintery area.

I guess that makes sense, although the map makes it look like it has lava or fire, but I guess that's just
the death roses?

edit: Yep, that was it. I never actually looked at the map of that area when I was inside each time though due to how linear and short it was.

Burt

The back end of Act 2 is definitely hitting me with some of those D:OS1 " everything doesn't quite work but go with it because it's the tradeoff for this sort of freedom" vibes. Questgivers have disappeared because I (I'm assuming) completed quests in contrary ways, people are failing to acknowledge my actions/narrative backstory, I'm not getting options I should get in dialogue, etc.

That being said, most of it is minor, and given how sprawling Act 2 is, it's a pretty fantastic achievement that none of this came back to bite me until I was wrapping things up at the end. I didn't get through a single act in the first game without breaking it horribly. To pass through the first act unblemished and not get (mildly) caught up until the second shows an incredible amount of refinement on Larian's part.

Animator

NEED HELP!

One of my characters don't follow the party anymore. I have to pick him individually each time and walk him separately to a location. Did I accidentally turn something on or is this a bug?

NEED HELP!

One of my characters don't follow the party anymore. I have to pick him individually each time and walk him separately to a location. Did I accidentally turn something on or is this a bug?

You probably unchained the character's portrait. Drag his portrait on the left side of your screen and connect it with the rest of your party.

Top Bottom