• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

J4g3r

Is there a way to move NPCs without freaking them out?

Feels impossible to steal from some of the vendors in Driftwood.

Ok nevermind, I just found the easiest way to move NPCs by accident.

I removed Fane's helm and the NPC ran away into an area where I could pickpocket him. (Just need to make sure no guards are near)

Shahadan

Okay, do not talk to Nicholas in Driftwood if you don't want to risk your character becoming mute until there is a patch

For fun I talked to him with the 4 characters, let's see what happens now, Larian !

Lanrutcon

Is there a way to move NPCs without freaking them out?

Feels impossible to steal from some of the vendors in Driftwood.

?

aVSUoyR.jpg

J4g3r

Talk to npc with character A.
Character B teleports npc.
Ensure the destination is far away from prying eyes to avoid repercussions.
Steal steal steal steal steal.

This is what I did:

Ok nevermind, I just found the easiest way to move NPCs by accident.

I removed Fane's helm and the NPC ran away into an area where I could pickpocket him. (Just need to make sure no guards are near)

Your way seems a lot easier though, will try.

Sanctuary

Glad to hear poly is a good combo with warfare. I took a point in it on my melee Red Prince last night, but haven't snagged any poly skill books yet.

Polymorph is a great combo with everything. Two points will let you use Flight, Invisibility and a bunch of other situationally useful skills. Those two alone are worth it on every character.

Wow, act 2 dungeon.

I totally didn't expect to encounter an 'impossible fight' ala JRPGs in this game. I thought I was screwed when these Voidwalkers wrecked my party and brought each of them to separate spots in the dungeon. After dealing with it, I could finally resurrect the one who got wrecked the hardest and get everyone together at last. It also leads to a quite unique dungeon/story development.

45+ hours in and I'm still impressed.

Vengal

Red Quest Act 1 question - Spoilers for act 1

I could have sworn that one of these guys decaying on the cross was part of the prince's storyline in early access. Is this no longer the case was his story changed or did I miss something? Getting close to the end of this act and haven't figured out how to cure any decaying people when i'm like 80% sure last year when i played this you could and I know you can't come back.

bati

The key to entering Fort Joy is teleportation. As soon as you can get the spell, you can enter it.

So yes, I think it's possible.

I mean the camp itself, I'm trying a dual lone wolf setup and I don't want to have the npcs level up without my input. Seems you can't move 2 feet on the beach without leveling up there.

Dipper145

Talk to npc with character A.
Character B teleports npc.
Ensure the destination is far away from prying eyes to avoid repercussions.
Steal steal steal steal steal.

I believe it was to you that I commented to about the difficulty I was having with the game, but I can't seem to find it right now. Either way I'd like to apologize, I was wrong about the difficulty being too hard on normal.

There are spikes here and there, but once you get enough points to put into varying abilities to have access to all the super useful ones like healing, teleport, and haste on each character it really helps improve the game. That and ensuring that gear on your character is of appropriate level, especially because of the vast fortune one acquires throughout the game if you don't particularly buy much. Another important factor is being sure you're at least of equal level of the enemies in the encounters (mostly important for difficult boss encounters).

I can now just run into battles on normal without any fancy pre-setups (except minor character spreading out for boss encounters) once I had the super useful utility skills of healing, haste, and teleport on every character in my party.

I mean the camp itself, I'm trying a dual lone wolf setup and I don't want to have the npcs level up without my input. Seems you can't move 2 feet on the beach without leveling up there.

I'm not sure if there is a way, but unless its super important for you to do that for personal head cannon reasons, I wouldn't worry too much about it as
once you get off the first island you can change all the spent points on your characters on your ship at any point during the game.

Nete

I got a weird bug while exploring the western area in Act 2, triggering a combat *but* Seville was left out of it even if she was there. I could move her all around and kill all the enemies without any problems or getting into the fight.

Ourobolus

Banned
Finally have a chance to play today. I played a little of the early access but never had the time to make it very far.

How viable are Rogues in this one? I remember Sneak being OP in battle in the original (and then nerfed quite a bit in the EE). Love Rogue-type characters, so hoping it's a good roll here.

carlsojo

Finally have a chance to play today. I played a little of the early access but never had the time to make it very far.

How viable are Rogues in this one? I remember Sneak being OP in battle in the original (and then nerfed quite a bit in the EE). Love Rogue-type characters, so hoping it's a good roll here.

My Rogue + Necromancer Fane fucks shit up.

Sneaking/Stealing/Lockpicking is always useful.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Wow, act 2 dungeon.

I totally didn't expect to encounter an 'impossible fight' ala JRPGs in this game. I thought I was screwed when these Voidwalkers wrecked my party and brought each of them to separate spots in the dungeon. After dealing with it, I could finally resurrect the one who got wrecked the hardest and get everyone together at last. It also leads to a quite unique dungeon/story development.

Huh, I'm on act 3 and don't recall this at all. This might be the dungeon everyone cheesed.

I got a weird bug while exploring the western area in Act 2, triggering a combat *but* Seville was left out of it even if she was there. I could move her all around and kill all the enemies without any problems or getting into the fight.

Reload a previous save. You spoke to Nicholas in town and he bugged her out. There is no fix yet.

Ryzaki009

Huh, I'm on act 3 and don't recall this at all. This might be the dungeon everyone cheesed.

Reload a previous save. You spoke to Nicholas in town and he bugged her out. There is no fix yet.

Yeah I used the teleporters cause aint nobody got time for that.

Zesh

Any tips on how to use Aerotheurge and Hydrosophist effectively (outside of the obvious Teleportation/Restoration/other utility spells)? I'm still at the beginning of act 2, but I feel like my Enchanter isn't as useful as my other characters. My Pyrokinetic/Geomancer mage can put out a lot of AoE damage, while my melees deal a lot of damage and can CC with knockdowns/Chicken Claw.

It seems difficult to get much use out the spells when I need to deplete magic armor and then chill or shock enemies before I can finally CC them. So far I've mainly had her on support duty, but then I figure that I may as well double up on some more useful trees instead of investing heavily into Aerotheurge and Hydrosophist. Could it just be a case of not having the useful spells yet?

Why is the camera rotation so stuttery when using the mouse to do it? Pressing the del and end keys to rotate is perfectly fine. But holding down the mouse wheel results in stuttering.

Wow, act 2 dungeon.

If you have the
teleport triangles
it's easy to get together again :)

Sanctuary

The feeling you get after you just spent some hard stolen gold on a crossbow upgrade, only to find this about thirty minutes later. The damage increase overall was massive.

20170920123551_1.jpg

Aaron D.

My Rogue + Necromancer Fane fucks shit up.

Sneaking/Stealing/Lockpicking is always useful.

image.php

EDIT:

Why is the camera rotation so stuttery when using the mouse to do it? Pressing the del and end keys to rotate is perfectly fine. But holding down the mouse wheel results in stuttering.

On a semi-related note, I'd like to know why you can adjust the WASD camera scrolling sensitivity, but there's no similar slider for camera rotation. I've got L/R rotation mapped to Q & E and using it in tandem with WASD navigation feels unbalanced as camera scrolling is faster than rotation.

Wonder if there's a Workshop mod or an .ini file I can edit to fix this.

JohnCYQ

Just started the game. Need some help with my party comp.

My main is Fane as the frontline str charater going mainly 2H Warfare + necro (stopping at lvl 3-5 for 30-50% hp drain + utility skills). Will probably splash in some utility from scoundrel and poly.

I'm designating Ifan as my summoner, although I'm not sure what else to pair him with.

Sebille will be doing a bow build, am considering doing a bow/dagger hybrid with some poly on the side as some kind of all-range assassin although I'm told its better to just concentrate on one weapon.

Red Prince is to be my main Mage, although I'm unsure which starter kit to pick. Pyro should have the highest damage potential right? But the starter skills for wizard (pyro/geo) seems pretty underwhelming compared emchanter (hydro/aero) and I figure that I should probably pick up teleport on someone, might as well be on the main mage, right?

Also, is there a recommended order of quests/encounters for Fort Joy? Like, I know I'm not gonna be able to beat the
frog encounter at fresh lvl 2 because of how my characters practically died in 1 turn while the frogs are sitting at 114+ hp each
. Same with attempting to kill
Migo and his daughter for their loot after finishing their quest

Oh, and a random question. Does Bartering interact with Thievery for stealing? If so, who needs to have bartering? The person talking to the npc, or the thief?

Any help is appreciated.

Tovarisc

Saves
  • Save file 2h in was 5MB
  • Save file 43h in is 12MB
No wonder saving and loading takes longer and longer as you progress through the game. Even on i5 6600K and game on SSD.

Also RAM usage has gone from ~3 GB to ~5 GB when progressed from Act 1 to Act 2.

About to go to nameless isle but I need to find gareth first. Anyone know where he is?
I've already done the quest to kill jonathan and showed him the ring
and he's not at the house anymore.

Something happened to me at the end of Act 1 that I am no longer used to in an RPG:
I played a jackass Fane and Ifan, the gentle soul that he is, had enough and left the party. He didn't come back. Ifan was my archer, and the strongest party member by a country mile, star barterer, and loot holder. I ended up recruiting Lohse instead and was able to steal back most of Ifan's possessions, but man... was not expecting that at all.

Party members with actual agency are such a rare thing these days. DOS2 stays winning.

Holy shit, what could you have done in Act 1 to piss him off that badly?

I'm just about to arrive in Driftwood- what's the deal with Nicholas? are you required to talk to him?

I feel like I'm seeing differing accounts for the bug. The most common seems to be that talking to him may break your ability to talk to other characters. But evidently reloading and redoing the talk will sometimes allow it go through normally.

But am I reading it right that talking to Nicholas can also break something else down the line?

HKA6A7

Question:
Can I enjoy this game if I didn't play the first OS? This one seems heavy on story, so I don't know if it's a good idea to start from here.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Question:
Can I enjoy this game if I didn't play the first OS? This one seems heavy on story, so I don't know if it's a good idea to start from here.

This needs to be in the OP as it's been answered like 5 times a page.

No, you don't need to play the first one, there is over a thousand years of time between them. However the first game is amazing and should be played because it's amazing.

EDIT: It is in the OP...

Question:
The OP gives a good overview of the situation:

kPpeQHV.png

8800 AR - Divinity: Dragon Commander
0004 AR - Divinity: Original Sin
1218 AD - Divine Divinity
Divinity: Original Sin 2 ← current timeline
1238 AD - Beyond Divinity
1300 AD - Divinity II
Q. Do I need to play the original Original Sin to understand this game?

A. Short answer: no.
This game takes place 1200 years after the previous game and as a result alot of the lore has been re-written,
added and taken away.
In other words, it's not necessary.
Holy shit, what could you have done in Act 1 to piss him off that badly?
Well...
When I say "jackass Fane," I mean, my Fane kills rather indescriminately, NPCs included; and is rather inconsiderate of others. Also one time when I attacked some NPC Ifan lost like -20 attitude for some reason. It was inevitable, in retrospect. (My Fane gets along great with Sebille though!)

HKA6A7

This needs to be in the OP as it's been answered like 5 times a page.

No, you don't need to play the first one, there is over a thousand years of time between them. However the first game is amazing and should be played because it's amazing.

EDIT: It is in the OP...

After+learning+about+what+solar+eclipses+were+i+spent+years+_b30806b901bfd852487adbc51f6fd145.gif

I couldn't find it there... sorry.

Alastor3

For my little hunter build, was thinking of hothead, exercutionner, phoenix dive

But now i was also thinking of getting Far Out Man (2 meters more to shoot arrow, wouldn't that be good?) or what about bigger and better or comeback kid?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm choosing Ifan as my main, having a hard time choosing my party. I decided not take Beast, definitely want to take Red Prince and Lohse, but can't decide between Sebille and Fane... Help?

Animator

Need help early Driftwood village quest:

The mafia dwarf told me to look for some dude, went to his home right next door and in the cellar there are two dwarves behind a wall. I can't find a way to get to them. How do I advance that quest? I already freed the Lich.

Tovarisc

Just started the game. Need some help with my party comp.

My main is Fane as the frontline str charater going mainly 2H Warfare + necro (stopping at lvl 3-5 for 30-50% hp drain + utility skills). Will probably splash in some utility from scoundrel and poly.

I'm designating Ifan as my summoner, although I'm not sure what else to pair him with.

Sebille will be doing a bow build, am considering doing a bow/dagger hybrid with some poly on the side as some kind of all-range assassin although I'm told its better to just concentrate on one weapon.

Red Prince is to be my main Mage, although I'm unsure which starter kit to pick. Pyro should have the highest damage potential right? But the starter skills for wizard (pyro/geo) seems pretty underwhelming compared emchanter (hydro/aero) and I figure that I should probably pick up teleport on someone, might as well be on the main mage, right?

Also, is there a recommended order of quests/encounters for Fort Joy? Like, I know I'm not gonna be able to beat the
frog encounter at fresh lvl 2 because of how my characters practically died in 1 turn while the frogs are sitting at 114+ hp each
. Same with attempting to kill
Migo and his daughter for their loot after finishing their quest

Oh, and a random question. Does Bartering interact with Thievery for stealing? If so, who needs to have bartering? The person talking to the npc, or the thief?

Any help is appreciated.

Hydro + Aero have some great CC potential where Pyro + Geo combo does quite nice burst damage. I'm already in Act 2 and still struggling with if I want keep my wizard as Pyro + Hydro or push him into pure Hydro + Aero CC and buffing side.

You should focus as Summoner to, well, summoning until you hit 10 to Summoning skill. Why? Well....
Then you could branch him into some support casting via Hydro, Aero, Warfare etc. Even then you will do a lot your summoning stuff each round as you want keep popping up totems.

When it comes to quests in Fort Joy area (first area + Fort itself) I don't think there is any specific order. You should tackle what you can, when you can so you keep climbing that XP and gear ladder early on.

"Does Bartering interact with Thievery for stealing?"
No.

Those should be on two different characters so you can keep them as up as possible for maximum benefits.

Glajummy

Neo Member
How useful is the sword-and-board tank archetype in this game? I'm maining Red Prince as this and it just doesn't feel that useful. I'm at the end of Act 1 and have yet to find a taunt skill so I feel like all my extra defenses go to waste as enemies walk past me and wail on my party members. At best I use him as constant harasser with a bunch of knockdowns once enemy armor is down.

Now that I have access to the respec thing, should I just go 2H?

Adnor

Banned
So I have a metagame question, is it better to steal gold instead of items, because then you can steal those items at a cheaper price thanks to bartering? So far I steal the items I want and the rest in gold.

Top Bottom