• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Decado

Good, quality mods take time. Perhaps even years.

Don't be so impatient, Decado!

Edit: Shengar also makes a good point. IMO you need to understand a game before you can mod it well... not that I've ever been a modder.

Nah, mods usually come fast and furious. I don't mean huge mods, but smaller ones like graphic upgrades, making things bloodier, new animations/spells etc. Usually if a mod scene is healthy there are a ton of those type of mods very quickly.

Amir0x

Banned
damn i had forgotten games could be like this. it's like getting cold water on your face, sometimes you forget that once upon a time games had options and you could make hard decisions about which way was best for you lol

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So I'm really interested in this game, but I'm afraid the bigness of how open it is might scare me off.

Anyone got some quick impressions they could type up for me to somewhat curb my fears?

KingKong

Haha I love how in the Boreas treasure room I can either
sneak by or turn invisible to pass the statues or... just burn the door down

Also does anyone else find that the summons make the game too easy? I've been trying not to use them for anything but boss fights (or fights where I'm up against like 12 enemies). Not that it matters too much, at this point my warrior just walks in, tanks all the damage and murders everyone with ease

Noaloha

Any news on the modding front for this game? I looked at Workshop...and there is almost nothing. Doesn't sound like modders are taking to this game, which I find very surprising. Would have thought many of the modders of old school PC RPGs and maybe some Skyrim modders would be all over this.

I'm following the D:OS modding community pretty closely as I'm playing around with my own Baby's First Mod. All the action is pretty much taking place on the official forum, http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=61&page=1. Unfortunately (though not unexpectedly), much of the work right now is simply being put into figuring out how the Divinity ENgine works and then brainstorming workarounds when eventual problems are hit. Larian have stated quite clearly that the user version of the Divinity Engine is still WIP and that it'll open up in time. As it currently stands, there's still lots of functionality locked behind the scenes. Some of that is modifiable thanks to a fan-made unpak tool, but there are still lots of roadblocks being found.

So in addition to the usual 'early days' factor, I'm guessing the mod-scene will pick up substantial amounts of steam (a) once the quirks and problems and utility of the Divinity Engine is solved and well-documented, and (b) once Larian return from their well-deserved vacation and resume work on updating the Editor and releasing more tutorials, etc.

Kind of stuck on the Mangoth + co fight. Spent like 2 hours trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Charm. It takes 2 enemies out, both the guy you charm and the guy who attacks the charmed guy instead of you.

Then Summon. Don't attack Mangoth he's really good at healing, try to stun him, and take down the others first.

Leezard

Kind of stuck on the Mangoth + co fight. Spent like 2 hours trying to figure out the best way to do it.
Yeah, that was tough.

I placed all my team on one side of the map, so I only had to deal with half his crew. I used someone with the invisibility spell to trigger the fight.

SRG01

Haha I love how in the Boreas treasure room I can either
sneak by or turn invisible to pass the statues or... just burn the door down

Also does anyone else find that the summons make the game too easy? I've been trying not to use them for anything but boss fights (or fights where I'm up against like 12 enemies). Not that it matters too much, at this point my warrior just walks in, tanks all the damage and murders everyone with ease

You're supposed to use summons in some encounters, or else you'll get stomped within 2-3 rounds. I typically open with Spider and Elemental to give my guys some time to set up, usually Rain from my spellcaster and some charming abilities from my other guys.

A lot of people had lots of trouble with this battle without cheesing it. Personally, I don't even know how such a battle is even possible without resorting to 'other' kinds of tactics like hiding the rest of your party.

Exuro

Charm. It takes 2 enemies out, both the guy you charm and the guy who attacks the charmed guy instead of you.

Then Summon. Don't attack Mangoth he's really good at healing, try to stun him, and take down the others first.
I always try to charm with my ranger but i was having next to no luck successfully charming. My last attempt I tried going straight on him but after getting him to 50% he started healing for 300 a pop so i found out that that wasn't a good idea.

I was trying to barricade the middle room with my melee + spider but that didn't work out very well either. I'll try some other things tomorrow and hope something works out better.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I always try to charm with my ranger but i was having next to no luck successfully charming. My last attempt I tried going straight on him but after getting him to 50% he started healing for 300 a pop so i found out that that wasn't a good idea.

I was trying to barricade the middle room with my melee + spider but that didn't work out very well either. I'll try some other things tomorrow and hope something works out better.

It's a pretty rough fight to be honest. It's the only fight in the game I needed to utilize the stupid amount of scroll and potions I had. Charm was ineffective for me and I had to rely on double summons to tank the debuffs. Even with all of that I only survived with my main tank and 2H warrior with barely and HP.

Party is decimating the West. Just got to the lighthouse and haven't run into anything yet that even poses a challenge since now my guys are wearing ok gear, rare quality type stuff and getting their stats boosted and everything.

Got my ranged bow user / healer / geomancer bringout out the Spider backup, freezing dudes from long range and hitting hard from a screen away. Got 2 2H wielding heavy armored maniacs who have resistances to any turn loss status effects. My main has 6 leadership already thanks to boosted stats from gear I keep finding and buying. So my group is massively boosted from the jump, plus then I just use encourage throughout the battle. The other Knight is purely offensive, and just decimating people with hits of 50-60 with 100+ crits. Then got my pure mage who can create massive water puddles with Rain, which I love to do at the start of a battle, then next turn use Lightning Storm to decimate a large group of the fighters while my 2H fighters use battering ram to jump into the middle of the crowd and get close / knock down the ranged / mage users on the enemy side.

Battle system is really fantastic. Fun to mix and match all the different skills, have to think about each turn, and use the environment against the enemy.

Has there ever been a Final Fantasy with a similar battle system out of interest?

Guessing not since my impression is that you're normally fighting 1,2 or 3 enemies at a time in FF

Ourobolus

Banned
Has there ever been a Final Fantasy with a similar battle system out of interest?

Guessing not since my impression is that you're normally fighting 1,2 or 3 enemies at a time in FF

FF1-3 had plenty of battles with up to 9 enemies.

But as for a "similar" battle system, no, not really. Bits and pieces have been done, like an AP-like system was used in FF:4 Heroes of Light, and tactical party combat is basically FFT except it's on a grid.

Finalow

should I invest in defensive abilities for melee and not melee characters? I'm not sure how useful they are and if you get immunity to those status at max level.

in any case, I finished the first world/island. that last fight was pretty intense, I tried to load the loot a couple of times and it was never great, the magical chest only had one legendary item + random crap all the time. meh//
I saw one guy from co-op that got the sword from the boss as a drop, he said that he was using a loot mod for that.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
should I invest in defensive abilities for melee and not melee characters? I'm not sure how useful they are and if you get immunity to those status at max level.

Absolutely, yes. At the very least get it for your melee champs. Enemies later on will debuff, knockdown, blind, etc etc at a much higher frequency and it can become a big problem real fast.

I don't know about the newer FF's, but Final Fantasy Tactics would be the closest you could get. It has a turn-based grid with lots of classes and strategies. It's an immensely cool game, clearly inspired by the SNES game Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.

FFT has a class called the Calculator. You're going to want that. (Seriously.)

Does anyone know if there's a mod or planned support to allow the rock paper scissors game when you're playing singleplayer? I'd love to play this game with my girlfriend on the same screen, and that would be made so much better if we could use RPS in game to settle our disagreements.

Does anyone know if there's a mod or planned support to allow the rock paper scissors game when you're playing singleplayer? I'd love to play this game with my girlfriend on the same screen, and that would be made so much better if we could use RPS in game to settle our disagreements.

Wait, isn't the Janken minigame implemented for both single-player and multiplayer?

I thought that was the whole point of it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait, isn't the Janken minigame implemented for both single-player and multiplayer?

I think he means they're both playing on the same computer and ghetto co-oping it through the game.

You guys could always play real RPS to settle disputes...

It's there, but you cannot input for both people, which makes local coop much less intriguing. The second player's choice will always be generated by the computer. I guess it doesn't matter much because it's still chance who wins. It's just less satisfying than getting to play both parts.

I think he means they're both playing on the same computer and ghetto co-oping it through the game.

You guys could always play real RPS to settle disputes...

Yeah I'm ghetto co-oping by actually playing singleplayer. Turn based combat and dual dialog options actually make it work pretty well, though. Actually playing RPS is also an option. Little less satisfying, but it would work.

danthefan

There's no sort of NG+ is there? I've finished the game, I know I can back up the save file (I'm about to delete it to free up space), is it worth keeping?

epmode

It may be worthwhile if expansions use the same characters but Larian hasn't said anything about it.

Anyway, PC save files are typically kept even when the game is installed. You can back it up to be certain but you should be OK either way.

Love the pace of this game

Found the
staff of Peragon
Destroyed
the Sparkmaster5000
Killed the
statue monsters, and just entered the cave

The battle system is fantastic

Don't think they should have bothered with the durability thing, all it does is make you switch items around all the time to the characters with blacksmithing ability

It's there, but you cannot input for both people, which makes local coop much less intriguing. The second player's choice will always be generated by the computer. I guess it doesn't matter much because it's still chance who wins. It's just less satisfying than getting to play both parts.

...Oh. That's the most disappointing thing I've heard about this game. I always just assumed it was player vs. player in co-op.

I am now a donkey.

Ourobolus

Banned
Don't think they should have bothered with the durability thing, all it does is make you switch items around all the time to the characters with blacksmithing ability

Based on what I've played so far, I don't understand the point of durability on anything other than chest armor and weapons.

Based on what I've played so far, I don't understand the point of durability on anything other than chest armor and weapons.

I think they were going for something like Fire Emblem, where weapon durability was a key thing to be aware of during lengthier battles. In FE, you always needed a backup weapon because there was no repairing, and weapons disappeared permanently once they hit 0; this could leave even your best warriors defenseless and useless for the duration of the battle unless there was a replacement weapon. This mechanic sometimes meant frantic item-transfers occurred in the later stages of a battle.

Unfortunately, Divinity's implementation of durability seems off-kilter. Weapon durability has only mattered when bashing objects, and at times it feels like that's the only reason it's there - to discourage very resilient doors from being destroyed. (I still managed in spite of this.) Armour durability has likewise been completely irrelevant. For instance, I've repaired the 10 durability Zandalor's Trunks item once so far - and that's been equipped on a front-line warrior for the majority of my playtime.

It really seems like Larian might have intended for something else earlier in development, perhaps an acid element that damaged equipment. But at the very least, they put it in so modders would have a crack at using it.

Bonus comment: ZOMGWTF you can resize the posting box on NEOGAF?
#gamechanger

My weapon still breaks from time to time, mostly because I don't repair it every time I go to town like I'd do in most other repair centric games since it's so infrequent, plus you can just repair it with 1pt blacksmithing anyway. It also seems to break faster on certain enemy types, those statues you can fight if you fail the charisma test for example seemed to break my dagger quickly(and they also do almost no damage, I switched to my repair hammer on my rogue and killed them like that, epic stuff).

But yeah it's something they didn't finish and instead of a crappy implementation they just made it a non factor, which is fine imo. There's a bunch of stuff you notice isn't finished or was changed without that much polish, but eh that's also similar to old school RPGs. None of them were bug free and a bunch had broken quests or unfinished content that modders then fixed and added. For all the stuff in the game I'm impressed at how little of it breaks when you do it out of order or stuff like that.

Torraz

Can I give the
staff you get from the guy in front of Evelyn's cave to anyone besides the major for a XP reward? He will not talk to me, because his daughter had caught an unfortunate case of death

Quick question, when you fight the first mechanical enemy, you encounter some NPC's who say that they are going to the Legion. Where are they so I can finish that part of the quest?

Maybe your level is too low? I did not have any issue charming in that fight.

bbd23

need boss fight HELP.

fucking king boreas. ive tried destroying all sentinels, ive tried using the sentinels ive tried standing in one area. I just cant. those fucking summons attack like 4 times each WTF BRUH

Nibel

I started Divine Divinity today and must say

4AEci7C.gif

Old game, yes, but damn: very impressed by it. If Original Sin is like this, then I'll explode and leave nothing but trails of joy powder.

Labadal

I was strolling down this place full of fire and whacking scorched skeletons left and right by weakening them with rain. All is well and good. Saved, and then kept doing the same thing over again for a few minutes. All is good. Reach the boss. Get it down to 5% hp and all minions dead. All is good. They get revived by an idol I didn't bother with because one hit will kill the boss. All is good. It's the enemies turn. They wipe me out. All is no longer good.

I'm struggling deciding between playing this or Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. I feel like I should play BG first since it is a all time classic. But Divinity just looks so good...arrrghhhh,

Ourobolus

Banned
I was strolling down this place full of fire and whacking scorched skeletons left and right by weakening them with rain. All is well and good. Saved, and then kept doing the same thing over again for a few minutes. All is good. Reach the boss. Get it down to 5% hp and all minions dead. All is good. They get revived by an idol I didn't bother with because one hit will kill the boss. All is good. It's the enemies turn. They wipe me out. All is no longer good.
The moment I saw that idol I thought, "that is gonna resurrect something, I just know it."

I guessed wrong on which thing it was resurrecting though -.-
Managed to still survive.

Ran into a massive group of those annoying undead with bombs strapped to em. Proceeded to create a rainstorm, extinguishing the fuses from the bombs. They run up and keep saying, " oh no, it won't blow! ". I then help em out by launching a flaming arrow their way. Kaboom.

Ran into a door that was lv. 20 I couldn't find a key for. Used magic unlock and it actually worked!

Took down this big fella.

ilrIWYLtgIenn.png

Thought I was toast!

Top Bottom