• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Exuro

Maybe your level is too low? I did not have any issue charming in that fight.
Same level as them. Ended up beating them without charming. Just changed up my positioning.

This game has seriously rejuvenated my passion for gaming in general. Over 50 hours in and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Just about everything works greatly. Right now my only thoughts are if Pillars of Eternity will have half the combat D:OS has. It's soooo good.

Same level as them. Ended up beating them without charming. Just changed up my positioning.

This game has seriously rejuvenated my passion for gaming in general. Over 50 hours in and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Just about everything works greatly. Right now my only thoughts are if Pillars of Eternity will have half the combat D:OS has. It's soooo good.

Ha, I said exactly the same in another thread. With the PS3 winding down, the PS4 still badly in need of something to kickstart it's libary, and me struggling to muster up the will to start any of the myriad games I have on Steam, Divinity has been wonderful

I've never played and old school isometric RPG before so I was somewhat sceptical to the point that I balked at the £30 RRP. I'm not playing for trophies, I'm not looking for the critical path, I'm not playing to fill bars. I'm not even sure what the big hook is tbh. Probably a combination of the wonderfully wacky, but not obnoxiously so, world,and the fantastically balanced combat system, and appeal to the explorer in me. If there's a path leading off of the road I'm walking, I'll take it. Not for XP, or a collectible, or to unlock a waypoint. But because there could be a cool item, a fun quest, or a quest objective though. If there was an objective marker, I wouldn't go down that path, as I'd assume a quest would send me there eventually anyway

Having put 20 hours in so far, I'd have paid £80 for it if I'd known

pls don't fall apart

finally beat the game after 3 hours trying to figure out which stone i was even missing. beat the boss and was mad
that i couldn't keep playing afterwards or see what they dropped..what's the point of them dropping anything anyway?
the
madman
was still the best part of the entire game

-MD-

I got to the 2nd town and completely stopped playing, the story was going nowhere fast.

I need to jump back in, hate leaving games unfinished.

epmode

I got to the 2nd town and completely stopped playing, the story was going nowhere fast.

Honestly, story isn't the reason to play this game.

It does some interesting stuff.. I like how the quests in each zone are intrinsically tied to one another, for instance, and I appreciate RPGs that don't take themselves seriously. But compared to traditional examples of good stories or writing, it doesn't stand up.

THANKFULLY, everything else about the game is brilliant.

oh man!

This would be the perfect distraction until Destiny comes out. my gaming budget is slim right now.

its $40 dollars pretty much everywhere correct?

/sigh

If I can find a way to grab this baby I will post some impressions in here. it looks really really great.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
oh man!

This would be the perfect distraction until Destiny comes out. my gaming budget is slim right now.

its $40 dollars pretty much everywhere correct?

/sigh

If I can find a way to grab this baby I will post some impressions in here. it looks really really great.

9-10 keys or $20 paypal through a trader seems to be the going rate.

Torraz

Is there a constitution / HP threshold that one should wait for before getting glass cannon? Not sure if I want to grab it immediately at level 7...

rugioh

Banned
Question: Do vendor's inventories change every time I load? I'm looking for some +Sneak gear in the first chapter and I've heard I could load the game multiple times to get different inventories from vendors. Is that true?

Torraz

Question: Do vendor's inventories change every time I load? I'm looking for some +Sneak gear in the first chapter and I've heard I could load the game multiple times to get different inventories from vendors. Is that true?

I think vendors inventories reset when you level up. So, the first time after you level up, you can quick save / quick load until you get what you want?

Brakke

Banned

Isn't this literally the easiest thing to test on your own? It takes like 8 seconds to quicksave/quickload in front of a vendor...

What do you even need sneak for though? I basically never use it.

rugioh

Banned
Isn't this literally the easiest thing to test on your own? It takes like 8 seconds to quicksave/quickload in front of a vendor...

What do you even need sneak for though? I basically never use it.

Well yeah... I'm at work though. Wanted to see if anyone knew for sure before I get home to test it. I'm tinkering around with a sneak/guerilla/glass cannon ranger build and want to get an early 5 levels in sneak.

tokkun

Is there a constitution / HP threshold that one should wait for before getting glass cannon? Not sure if I want to grab it immediately at level 7...

Besides HP, keep in mind that if your max AP (determined by constitution) is less than your turn AP, the extra AP goes to waste. So you need to raise constitution to use glass cannon effectively regardless of whether the character takes any damage in combat.

Brakke

Banned
Sneak is useful for setting up for combat without actually triggering it. It's especially useful with high telekinesis.

TK is the way to go. The way I do robberies is I talk to NPCs to get them to face away from the mark, blind someone if I can't turn them (haven't had anyone aggro in response to Witchcraft Blind spell), then sneak just to get the sightlines. With 3 or for sure 4 TK, you can pretty much steal anything in a typical room from one spot. Plus TK is useful for moving boxes onto switches from a safe distance.

Torraz

Besides HP, keep in mind that if your max AP (determined by constitution) is less than your turn AP, the extra AP goes to waste. So you need to raise constitution to use glass cannon effectively regardless of whether the character takes any damage in combat.

Did not even consider that. Thank for the warning!

You can see your AP stats in the char screen, but to sum it up:
Your max AP is 7+CON+2 if Lone Wolf. With a base of 5 CON, that means your max is 12 or 14 with Lone Wolf.
Your per turn AP is 3.5 + (SPD/2) + 2 for Lone Wolf, rounded down. The tooltip on that is confusing it shows base as 4 instead but you only get +1 when you get an odd number of speed, so 7/9/11 etc. Anyway with base SPD of 5 that's 6 or 8 with Lone Wolf.

Glass Cannon just multiplies that by 2, so that's 12 or 16. In short, unless you have Lone Wolf or have more speed than constitution(which you shouldn't if you go glass cannon), you won't be capped. Even if you do get more than you can hold, it's still worth it because going from 6-8 per turn to 12 is a huge difference(and for Lone Wolf it's even better), and it'll increase once you start finding good items with CON or when you're done maxing your main stat, they cap at 15 so at some point you'll have to invest in other stuff, unless you hybrid then you don't have spare points.

As for the sneak discussion, the point of getting Sneak up is if you play a rogue character. Guerilla does double damage when you attack from Sneak, having Sneak at 5 makes it cost only 1 AP, so 3AP to sneak+attack with daggers and do double damage, it's very strong. To get 5 asap, start with 2(remove points from stuff or just do it on level 2), get the Cautious trait from Fabulous Five recruiter guy or somewhere else and get boots/helm with +sneak, mostly check the captain of the ship and the rogue/witchcraft vendors, make sure to save before you check their inventories, then check, if they don't have anything, reload. Find one on each to make it easier as finding both items on the same vendor is rough. Vendor inventory is generated whenever it's opened(pickpocket or vendor window) and resets every level. If you want specific spells and stuff make sure to save before you check a vendor so you can reload if they don't stock it. A bunch of spells are unique static drops in the world or are only made from scrolls with Crafting though.

Finalow

As for the sneak discussion, the point of getting Sneak up is if you play a rogue character. Guerilla does double damage when you attack from Sneak, having Sneak at 5 makes it cost only 1 AP, so 3AP to sneak+attack with daggers and do double damage, it's very strong. To get 5 asap, start with 2(remove points from stuff or just do it on level 2), get the Cautious trait from Fabulous Five recruiter guy or somewhere else and get boots/helm with +sneak, mostly check the captain of the ship and the rogue/witchcraft vendors, make sure to save before you check their inventories, then check, if they don't have anything, reload. Find one on each to make it easier as finding both items on the same vendor is rough. Vendor inventory is generated whenever it's opened(pickpocket or vendor window) and resets every level. If you want specific spells and stuff make sure to save before you check a vendor so you can reload if they don't stock it. A bunch of spells are unique static drops in the world or are only made from scrolls with Crafting though.
everytime I used sneaking in battle with my rogue it failed right after the first attack because the enemy notices you, that makes the whole thing pretty damn useless. am I missing something?

rogue was shit for almost all the first half of the game but now if you manage to go behind the enemy and still have a lot of AP you can murder anyone with that backstab + 2 hits attack made with just 2 AP. still, I find other classes much more useful.

Moonstone

everytime I used sneaking in battle with my rogue it failed right after the first attack because the enemy notices you, that makes the whole thing pretty damn useless. am I missing something?

You don't sneak around in battle.Just move/teleport to someones back. When you can backstab him, you use sneakjust for the attack. Sneak and attack etc. pp. It won't work, if another enemy is directly near you and looks in your direction. But in that case, you should take out this enemy first. Or charm him.

My level 12 rogue has 18 max AP and gets 17 or 18 AP per round thanks to glascannon. Total killing machine. Even the defense is pretty good, because you can use a shield with a dagger.

rogue was shit for almost all the first half of the game but now if you manage to go behind the enemy and still have a lot of AP you can murder anyone with that backstab + 2 hits attack made with just 2 AP. still, I find other classes much more useful.

Well mobs see in a straight line in front of them. The angle of the cone of vision is reduced by higher levels of sneak but not the range so as long as any enemy is facing you, you can't sneak. But that's fine, you don't need to sneak until you're behind them. You just move straight behind them or use the Marksmanship Retreat skill, it's lvl 1 and since you're dex based it doesn't fail, it costs 4AP to move you 15meters in almost any direction, it's a teleport too so you don't get opportunity attacked on the way. You jump all the way behind, or run there, then you sneak and end your turn. Generally due to starting AP being so low, that's all you do the first turn until you have enough to do Haste+Retreat+Sneak(think it's 9 starting AP for that).

Anyway yeah you just go behind enemy lines and hide, so mobs don't turn around. Then next turns you just go behind whatever you want to kill, sneak attack sneak attack etc until you have 1 or 2 AP left then sneak and end turn hidden so again mobs don't turn around.

There's very few situations where I get hit on my rogue, charm is the messiest when you charm a mob and it turns around to fight whatever you're next to because for some reason you can't sneak in front of charmed mobs. If you get caught in a bad spot you can invis then sneak(it doesn't break invis and since you're invis you can sneak 100% of the time).

If you get the 5sneak right away using the vendor reload trick, Rogue is really strong right from the start, even before Glass Cannon. It's extremely AP efficient and it never misses(if you have Heartless trait that is) even on hard mode, even on skeletons daggers still do decent damage with backstabs+sneak attacks.

Torraz

You can see your AP stats in the char screen, but to sum it up:
Your max AP is 7+CON+2 if Lone Wolf. With a base of 5 CON, that means your max is 12 or 14 with Lone Wolf.
Your per turn AP is 3.5 + (SPD/2) + 2 for Lone Wolf, rounded down. The tooltip on that is confusing it shows base as 4 instead but you only get +1 when you get an odd number of speed, so 7/9/11 etc. Anyway with base SPD of 5 that's 6 or 8 with Lone Wolf.

Glass Cannon just multiplies that by 2, so that's 12 or 16. In short, unless you have Lone Wolf or have more speed than constitution(which you shouldn't if you go glass cannon), you won't be capped. Even if you do get more than you can hold, it's still worth it because going from 6-8 per turn to 12 is a huge difference(and for Lone Wolf it's even better), and it'll increase once you start finding good items with CON or when you're done maxing your main stat, they cap at 15 so at some point you'll have to invest in other stuff, unless you hybrid then you don't have spare points.

Thanks!

---

Which vendors should I check (save scum) for cloth / leather armor in Cyseal? Unfortuantely the skillbook vendors do not seem to sell equipment for the various classes.

Just made my way into Silverglen. I am trying not to use any sort of guides or anything so I am basically in adventuring mode right now.

Now that I have
opened the first portal to the Homestead in the End of Time area
I have decided to try out this Lone Wolf mode. I thought it would make you solo but looks like I have both the starter companions which is cool. They compliment each other quite well but don't have much powerful magic anymore, which will likely become a problem. But one is ranged and one is melee so that could be good.

Loving this game. But it seems the activities in Silverglen are going to be pretty much a copy of the stuff in Cyrael(sp?). Havent spent much time here though so i could be wrong about that.

I still have no idea what I am doing quest wise beyond the main storyline and gathering these stones. The side quests can be a tad confusing at times and it really doesn't tell you if you are finished with a quest line or not. So I don't even know if my journeys so far have closed the door on anything.

So far I have

talked to a man who out of jealousy did not activate the lighthouse lights and ended up destroying the ship his wife was on, thinking she was cheating on him. I found his wife, and she has run to the lighthouse to confront him. I forgot where I found the lighthouse though so can't remember how to get there lol. Will have to run around I think out west of Cyrael again sometime

also found this cats collar which allowed him to marry the mayors cat ... not sure what purpose that had, but the dialogue between the 2 was funny

i did something that made the 5 companions or whatever that groups name leave ... that sucks because that chick inside the tavern was my go-to weapon/armor vendor in town! I dont know why they left or where they went ... sucks

Oh and I also found something called a Buffalo Amulet. It pretty much says it belongs to something. Well I was off running between vendors when I ran into that chick who is suspected of killing her husband. I barter and there is a weapon that has an opening that is likely meant for the amulet since it also has the same gold trim. 8K gold. Well, I am able to do 5K so I start messing around with my inventory. I accidenly choose Equipped instead of Equipment and take my gear off during the bartering. When I notice and put my gear back on, Windows throws an error at me and closed the game. Well it had been atleast half an hour since I had saved so I lost a ton of crafting and just general town stuff. I load my game back in, catch up to where I was and talk to her again, but that item is no longer there. Was so pissed.

iqRVKcuMAkyOK.png

Finalow

Well mobs see in a straight line in front of them. The angle of the cone of vision is reduced by higher levels of sneak but not the range so as long as any enemy is facing you, you can't sneak. But that's fine, you don't need to sneak until you're behind them. You just move straight behind them or use the Marksmanship Retreat skill, it's lvl 1 and since you're dex based it doesn't fail, it costs 4AP to move you 15meters in almost any direction, it's a teleport too so you don't get opportunity attacked on the way. You jump all the way behind, or run there, then you sneak and end your turn. Generally due to starting AP being so low, that's all you do the first turn until you have enough to do Haste+Retreat+Sneak(think it's 9 starting AP for that).

Anyway yeah you just go behind enemy lines and hide, so mobs don't turn around. Then next turns you just go behind whatever you want to kill, sneak attack sneak attack etc until you have 1 or 2 AP left then sneak and end turn hidden so again mobs don't turn around.

There's very few situations where I get hit on my rogue, charm is the messiest when you charm a mob and it turns around to fight whatever you're next to because for some reason you can't sneak in front of charmed mobs. If you get caught in a bad spot you can invis then sneak(it doesn't break invis and since you're invis you can sneak 100% of the time).

If you get the 5sneak right away using the vendor reload trick, Rogue is really strong right from the start, even before Glass Cannon. It's extremely AP efficient and it never misses(if you have Heartless trait that is) even on hard mode, even on skeletons daggers still do decent damage with backstabs+sneak attacks.
You don't sneak around in battle.Just move/teleport to someones back. When you can backstab him, you use sneakjust for the attack. Sneak and attack etc. pp. It won't work, if another enemy is directly near you and looks in your direction. But in that case, you should take out this enemy first. Or charm him.
My level 12 rogue has 18 max AP and gets 17 or 18 AP per round thanks to glascannon. Total killing machine. Even the defense is pretty good, because you can use a shield with a dagger.
yes that's what I used to do, sneaking after I'm behind the enemy and usually after invis. I guess that it never worked since there always was some enemy near the one I was attacking that spotted me after the first attack.
I'll try to use it more and see if I can manage to avoid failing the sneak right away, but I still think that it's not doable in every battle. in any case normal backstabs are usually enough.

you can use shields too but you need strength for that, going for both dex and strength isn't the best idea I think.

Thanks!

---

Which vendors should I check (save scum) for cloth / leather armor in Cyseal? Unfortuantely the skillbook vendors do not seem to sell equipment for the various classes.

Armor is pretty random, best bet usually is the captain of the ship in the harbour he has a good selection of stuff. Daggers and sometimes leather armor at the rogue/witchcraft vendor but quite often has no items other than whites/weapons. Magic gear at the air/water book vendor on the market. Vendors are overall a poor source of gear though, they're nice to check especially early on to get stuff like Loremaster/Barter/Perception gear to swap to when needed but once you start questing outside the city and opening thousands of chests you'll find plenty of stuff there, even though some classes just don't get a whole lot of useful stats in some slots(for example bracers don't roll anything useful for mages other than maybe dex for the very small bonus to dodge).

On Sneak, it is usable every fight, but you have to work your way from the back, you can't just walk up to the first mob you see and try to sneak since the mobs behind it will reveal you while moving during their turns and stuff. Rogues excel at killing casters/archers since those tend to stick in the back so there's rarely anything behind them. It's also a matter of making sure you don't have your warriors charging behind your rogue or whatever, all the mobs should be going one way(towards your starting point) while your rogue goes straight through the battlefield then work his way back to the rest of the group picking mobs off on the way.

Ourobolus

Banned
The Buffalo Amulet
is a piece that goes with the "Old Sabre," a weapon that you can randomly find/buy. It makes the Buffalo Sabre (badumtish) and is actually a pretty mediocre weapon. Just an Easter Egg

Ourobolus

Banned
Is there an easier way to do the bartering?

Getting exact gold amounts right is tiring.
The scales button in the top middle of the window automatically adjusts the deal with the gold on either side of the equation...
So if you put your stuff up and are short 432 gold to satisfy the deal, pressing the button will add 432 gold of yours to the trade window.
Vice versa for the other party.

Be careful when you equip a shield on a rogue. Most of the time, they don't attack twice anymore. Although sometimes they still do, so I assume one or the other is a bug.

it is frustrating how many turn loss moves there are sometimes. So many different attacks you have to worry about. It is of course awesome when you freeze an opponent or stun them or shock them or trip them or whatever, but boy can some fights be utterly frustrating.

I was going to finish off one dude with a battering ram and ended up putting it through some ice which tripped him mid rush lol.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
OH MY GOD LMAO THE FREEDOM THIS GAME GIVES YOU

Spoilers for resolution of the murder story line:

Against evelyn me and my friend could not for the life of us figure out how to kill her without getting murdered, the party was him being a super powered tank with lone wolf, me an elementalist and jahan being jahan. Well after 4 or so attempts and making literally no progress my friend had the idea of using teleport to warp her up the stairs where we could fight her before the enemies got to us. It sort of worked until they caught up. It was at that point I realized I had +4 to telekinesis so in a moment of pure genius I got every box in the area and WALLED OFF the enemies while my friend was talking to Evelyn. As soon as the fight was about to begin I would pump him up with oath and wildfire and then we would teleport her up the steps then jahan would warp her up the second set of stairs and we murdered her with all of her back up being unable to reach us. The taking our swet time we'd just plunk each dude up one by one till it was over. Here is a shot of our barricade http://i.imgur.com/MBy4nxA.jpg

statham

okay in the first town, lots to do
supposed to find a killer of some dude, how important is that? I really just want to leave the town and explore, does it kill the story if I start murdering people behind close doors for the loot?

Finalow

okay in the first town, lots to do
supposed to find a killer of some dude, how important is that? I really just want to leave the town and explore, does it kill the story if I start murdering people behind close doors for the loot?
you can do quests in any order so there really is no problem, also the boss at the end of that quest is the hardest of that first part of the game so killing the other ones first isn't a bad idea.

statham

you can do quests in any order so there really is no problem, also the boss at the end of that quest is the hardest of that first part of the game so killing the other ones first isn't a bad idea.

Well, then, I have a agenda tomorrow.

it is frustrating how many turn loss moves there are sometimes. So many different attacks you have to worry about. It is of course awesome when you freeze an opponent or stun them or shock them or trip them or whatever, but boy can some fights be utterly frustrating.

I was going to finish off one dude with a battering ram and ended up putting it through some ice which tripped him mid rush lol.

Just to point out but if you have 5 crafting(which is fairly easy to get, +2 from gear starting lvl 6-7 or so when belts start dropping, bracer and belt for crafting/blacksmithing items, +1 from trait and 2 base or 1base and Scientist which also gives +1 blacksmithing) you can combine Nine Inch Nails with any boots to add Immune to Tripping. It's a lifesaver once you get to the frozen area for melee characters. Otherwise if you don't do crafting, that area starts dropping boots with the mod, they just have no stats however.

Other than that, you don't trip if you walk through ice, only if you run. In combat that means moving only 1AP at a time or so, your character will move slowly this way and not trip. Out of combat you just move by clicking close to your char, but ooc tripping is just annoying, doesn"t actually get you killed so it's fine.

That's the main downside of ice/lightning, they often hit blood that pools under mobs/your party while they're fighting and end up stunning/tripping them. Fire instead just burns so it's better but it also often explodes when fighting mobs with poison so you can take ridiculous damage bursts, earth is really the only "safe" one since poison tends to be pretty crappy damage anyway, but that also makes it crappy at killing enemies.

Kinan

Damn i think I messed up. I have declined a Brandon's quest in Silverglen (cause it was sounding shady) and now I found out that this was the quest that gives all your party tenebrium skill. :/ He doesn't give the quest option anymore. :p There is one skill book somewhere it seems, but only one? Any other ways?

Damn i think I messed up. I have declined a Brandon's quest in Silverglen (cause it was sounding shady) and now I found out that this was the quest that gives all your party tenebrium skill. :/ He doesn't give the quest option anymore. :p There is one skill book somewhere it seems, but only one? Any other ways?

Unless you edit saves yeah that's all you get, one book. You can add Tenebrium damage to normal weapons without causing Rot though, and the skill bonus doesn't stack with normal skills(so 2H Tenebrium weapons only benefit from Tenebrium bonus, not from 2H bonus), so it really doesn't make too much of a difference if you only have 1 char with the skill versus all of them.

Edit: In fact scratch that, hadn't noticed but if you add Tenebrium damage to a weapon it counts as a Tenebrium weapon for skill bonus, at least if the tooltip is accurate, so it does kinda matter since you lose on an additional mod if you don't have the skill(or on whatever % you have in your weapon if you do add the mod). So pretty annoying if you have several weapon users.

Top Bottom