• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Division Targeting Destiny Community w/ Marketing

EL CUCO

i'm excited for the divison, and i think it's going to be a very good game, but i just don't see this game possibly having the staying power that destiny does.

the current state of destiny means nothing. when new content drops, everyone will be back.
If they want to charge me a penny for another year 1 "expansion", I aint coming back till Destiny 2

I bought into Bungie's sad song of "MT are to help fund the live team...blah blah" and the only thing they've done are 2 measly temporary events that are simply used to propel more MT. They can't even update their game properly in a timely matter, having to wait periods of 6 months up to a year for any substantial fixes, changes, or balancing that need to be done.

ksdixon

I don't understand how/why there is talk of a Destiny 2? Didn't Bungie release some statement saying they have like a 10 year content rollout plan for Destiny?

Klyka

Banned
I don't understand how/why there is talk of a Destiny 2? Didn't Bungie release some statement saying they have like a 10 year content rollout plan for Destiny?

For the franchise, yes. The franchise "Destiny" has a 10 year plan. In those 10 years you will see multiple "full sequels"

It is because it's a new game but once destiny releases new content all those players will be back.

Division to me is a good distraction as I wait for Destiny to bring out new stuff.

exactly.

Nah. Some will be back, sure. But I'm done with Destiny until Destiny 2 comes out and I'm sure I'm not alone with that. Little events covering the same areas in the base game aren't going to retain anyone. The only people playing Destiny right now are those that are addicted to it. I was there at one point so I get it.

Nah. Some will be back, sure. But I'm done with Destiny until Destiny 2 comes out and I'm sure I'm not alone with that. Little events covering the same areas in the base game aren't going to retain anyone. The only people playing Destiny right now are those that are addicted to it. I was there at one point so I get it.

This. Unless there is a significant content addition, I'm not going back to Destiny. Will wait for 2.

LTWood12

Nah, a lot of us are still having fun because of the solid mechanics and the fantastic community. It has a lot of problems, and the lack of meaningful content has caused a lot of hardcore players (myself included), to play less; but we still have a good time when we get on and raid, play iron banner, etc.

Looking forward to seeing what the Division has in store. Competition is never a bad thing.

Animator

I played Destiny for 1000+ hours and I am never going back. Division is better in every way from what I have played and seen.

Yeah but it will probably be hated by a lot people who don't get that loot games don't always give you awesome loot all the time. Look at the history of loot recent games:

Diablo 3 - People ripped into this at launch. Had a loyal fan base.
Borderlands 1/2 - People ripped into this at launch. Had a loyal fan base.
Destiny - People ripped into this at launch. Had a loyal fan base.
Fallout 3/4 - People ripped into this at launch. Had a loyal fan base.

There will be some harsh reviews on the Division at launch but it will have a loyal fan base.

i dont know why people compare this to destiny. they're not even the same type of game.

Seriously? Sure if you want to point out details but the gameplay loop is the same.

1) Kill bad guys.
2) Get loot to kill bigger bad guys
3) Goto Step #1

i'm excited for the divison, and i think it's going to be a very good game, but i just don't see this game possibly having the staying power that destiny does.

the current state of destiny means nothing. when new content drops, everyone will be back.

Depends on what the content is. If it's just recycling the old raids, I'll play once or twice but that's not going to sustain my interest.

Doesn't matter when there is nothing to do in Destiny.

Yup. Destiny may have a great gameplay mechanic, but it hits a wall super fast. Probably faster than any other FPS I have ever played. Probably because it's such a shallow experience. Just the social interactions alone were a huge step backwards for gaming, while The Division is heading in the correct direction.

farisr

I hear this so much from Destiny defenders, it should be a meme. Saying this over and over again does not make it a fact. (And I've played through every Destiny expansion)
Frankly, I have played Destiny, for 30 hours. And I am disappointed in the game, content, story, progression wise. I did not feel it was worth it to reward the developers by shelling out money for Taken King either. And I have played Division Alpha and beta quite a bit.

Despite my disappointment in Destiny, I hold the same opinion actually. I find the core gameplay of Destiny better than The Division's (and this is coming from a person who prefers TPS over FPS). But yes it can be a subjective thing, but there's also such a thing as generally agreed upon statements, and I honestly think (based off what I've seen) if you took a poll asking people which game's gameplay do they find better I could see Destiny winning by a decent margin.

Aside from the gameplay part I can see The Division turning out to be the better overall package though, especially thanks to its developers having decent tools to work with.

Well it's true. I've put well over 600 hours in destiny. Haven't played it for more than 5 hours in the past three months. Destiny vanilla comes out then vault of glass which is great! A few months later Crota which I actually enjoyed more than others. Then after 4-5 month and the game is just Ina lull house of wolves comes out which is ok back in a lull for a couple months. Taken king comes out and is good for a few months. But now there is nothing on the horizon anytime soon except maybe a taken King like expansion In the fall? We are talking a year between last release of anything worth while. I don't know if mask,pod racing, and red stuff does it for people but I have no interest in the game as it is now. So yeah the division is coming at a good time and yeah I will be playing it. So imo it is coming out at a good time.

Nah, a lot of us are still having fun because of the solid mechanics and the fantastic community. It has a lot of problems, and the lack of meaningful content has caused a lot of hardcore players (myself included), to play less; but we still have a good time when we get on and raid, play iron banner, etc.

Looking forward to seeing what the Division has in store. Competition is never a bad thing.

However you want to frame it the point still stands. There is nothing going on in Destiny that's appealing to anyone beyond the hardest of hardcore willing to keep playing the same content over and over. I like playing games with my friends too, who doesn't? But I like playing games with my friends that give us a reason to actually play them beyond our individual interactions with one another. I can Skype/party chat with my friends while we all play different games and get the same thing out of it. We've had great times playing a number of different games. Destiny isn't special in that regard.

Is it bad that I think both Division and Destiny have good gameplay mechanics for the genres they are in which are TPS and FPS respectively?

Cause I enjoy shooting guns in both and I'd say both feel pretty good for what they are doing.

This...so this. I love Destiny(over 1000 hours now) and I still play it quite a bit even though I hAve no reason to since all 3 of my toons are 318 plus. Why do I keep playing though? Because the fps gameplay is the best on current gen consoles. I love crucible and trials even with all the issues Bungie has had with SBMM in Year 2. It has hit a content wall for sure and in Pve regards it's been pretty disappointing in year 2. I enjoyed year one more in that aspect.

I preordered the Division gold.edition yesterday and am.super stoked about it. I loved the beta and imo the TPS gameplay is awesome. I think in regards of how they are including Match making for everything plus loot trading like a Diablo 3 plus other things they are doing better then Destiny. I love how it's a full blown RPG too.

Imo there is room for both games and I thibk thr biggest thing Destiny/Division fans can be happy with is that each game is going to help each franchise out imo. Bungie can learn a lot from what The Division is doing right for Destiny 2 and I really think Bungie will come through but until then, I will be really into the Division then when Bungie decides to finally drop new content for Destiny I will return.

There is room for both franchises for me.

elohel

Why would Ubisoft care about Destiny 2?

Also, this "Destiny had a better gameplay" trope is way too overused

nope it is definitely worth mentioning because the first thing that didn't stick out to me in the division was the gameplay and the pve stuff

Top Bottom