• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DKC Trilogy And Donkey Kong 64 Return Ties Into Rare's 30th anniversary Anniversary?

Durock

EDIT: Incidentally put anniversary twice in the title of a mod could fix it. Thanks and sorry!

With the DKC trilogy returning and DK64
coming out of nowhere, it has me pondering if this is part of Spencer and Nintendo's way of celebrating Rare's 30th anniversary. As you may recall, early last month Spencer said he was aware of their anniversary and it's a good time to celebrate their heritage. Interview here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-05-battletoads-in-xbox-one-version-of-shovel-knight-sets-tongues-wagging

Think of just DK64. Of all the Nintendo published 64 games they could have brought back, they chose one of the first ones to be by a studio that their competition now owns and had potential legal issues because of Jetpac's inclusion in the game. I don't find thad to be just a coincidence.

Let's also just look at all of the Rare IP we've seen so early on this year that has already released and coming...

-Donkey Kong Country
-Donkey Kong Country 2
-Donkey Kong Country 3
-Donkey Kong Land
-Donkey Kong Land 2
-Donkey Kong Land 3
-Donkey Kong 64
-Conker's Big Reunion (Project Spark)
-Battletoads in Shovel Knight with hints of another Battletoads game on the way
-Killer Instinct still going strong

What do you think GAF? Think part of the reasoning behind their releases ties into the 30th anniversary? And how about all this awesome Rare stuff we've been receiving and that's still coming? Can't wait to see what the rest of the year may bring!

Probably a coincidence that DK64 is on VC this year, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling if MS asked Nintendo to make it available.

Rare will probably tweet about it being available on release, I imagine.

Neiteio

I think they chose DK64 because it's fucking Donkey Kong. If you're looking at the N64 lineup and picking a Nintendo property that hasn't already appeared on the Wii VC, the DK name stands out.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
anybody know if they're putting DK64 on Wii VC too?

I mean I'm 95 percent certain they aren't, but literally the only reason I ask is that they re-released the DKC games on Wii VC when they released them on Wii U.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I mean I'm 95 percent certain they aren't, but literally the only reason I ask is that they re-released the DKC games on Wii VC when they released them on Wii U.

Putting it on the Wii virtual console would require time and money, so no.

Durock

Probably a coincidence that DK64 is on VC this year, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling if MS asked Nintendo to make it available.

Rare will probably tweet about it being available on release, I imagine.

They would have had to have come to terms on something. Because of Jet Pac, they couldn't ever just release it otherwise.

Rich!

I think you mean More Fucking Fucking Donkey Kong.

More Fucking Dong Expanding Fucking Donkey Kong Banging.

Really, I don't think there's any real link to a Rare anniversary. I have a feeling Nintendo would have released it on the Wii if they were able to, but its a notoriously buggy (hence the expansion pak use, purely required to solve a bug) and complicated game to emulate. They already had to use a few hacks and tricks to get stuff like Majoras Mask running well on the Wii.

ramparter

Banned
I don't think Nintendo would celebrate Rare's 30th anniversary.

Probabaly nintedo figured out those games belong to them and not Rare.

Rich!

I hope the emulation of DK64 on Wii U improves the frame rate Frame Rate.

Nah, it will be the same. Even right down to us in the UK/EU getting the shitty 50hz version. Which means I'm not buying it.

To our European friends: is it confirmed Donkey Kong and Jetpac are in this release?

Game only came out this morning and its 8am here in the UK right now. There's not a chance in hell anyone has got that far in the game yet lol

Donkey Kong Arcade is in the third world so that's not too far, but Jetpac is right near the end of the game, like 30+ hours in.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nah, it will be the same. Even right down to us in the UK/EU getting the shitty 50hz version. Which means I'm not buying it.

Game only came out this morning and its 8am here in the UK right now. There's not a chance in hell anyone has got that far in the game yet lol

Donkey Kong Arcade is in the third world so that's not too far, but Jetpac is right near the end of the game, like 30+ hours in.
For speed runners probably 1 hour in?

No, and for once, there apparently is a good technical reason for that. For performance reasons, the VC Wii N64 emulator is incompatible with games that run custom code on RCP, which supposedly includes this.

Trying to think of how you can have an anniversary of an anniversary. Like it would be both the 31st anniversary and the 30th anniversary's 1st anniversary. I'm too drunk for this shit.

Also I'm excited to give DK64 a shot. I liked the country series but was totally turned off by the expansion pack and the cheesy DK Rap.

Rich!

No, and for once, there apparently is a good technical reason for that. For performance reasons, the VC Wii N64 emulator is incompatible with games that run custom code on RCP, which supposedly includes this.

Yeah. Rare loved their custom ucode.

Durock

Trying to think of how you can have an anniversary of an anniversary. Like it would be both the 31st anniversary and the 30th anniversary's 1st anniversary. I'm too drunk for this shit.

Also I'm excited to give DK64 a shot. I liked the country series but was totally turned off by the expansion pack and the cheesy DK Rap.

I accidentally typed it in twice unawares :p

Nintendo get's to still use Jetpack in the game. In return, Microsoft have Goldeneye as a secret unlockable in the new Rare game.

Simples.

Top Bottom