• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
As always it's a bunch of graphics "enthusiasts" making a big deal about a bunch of screens.

It's nothing to worry about in this game, the textures are fine it's just in some areas some far distance textures look off. The game looks and performs fine on PS4 especially when playing in person. It's a damn good action game.

Alright then! I think I'll try picking it up tomorrow.

Relique

It's been getting good buzz from the hardcore fans and the media reviewed it well (slightly better than the original).

I feel like this game will not have as much buzz at start but it will build over time and the game will have legs on current gen consoles. Like if you are about to buy a new PS4 game and you look up the Metacritic scores of PS4 games... DmC DE is like #5 and is also one of the cheapest among them. If you haven't played the game it's a no brainer.

The main issue with DmC is that it was available on PS+ on PS3 and a lot of people got to try it out (or they played the demo). Most people probably don't want to play the game again and most people cannot appreciate the changes unless they have played both versions.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I underestimate how important metacritic is for the longevity of games. I think DMC4SE will sell a lot better than this remaster. Whatever the case may be, I hope they sell enough between the two to greenlight a new one.

Hack and slash games are my favorite next to fighting games but the genre seems to be dying... and it sucks. We had a good couple of years but there seems to be nothing on the horizon.

I'm about to play for the first time. Should I enable hardcore mode? I'll be playing on easy or normal. I don't think I've played DMC since the first one, if that matters.

Nephilim + Hardcore + Turbo.

Said it before and I'll say it again, it's how you should roll even as a DMC non-veteran.

You have to remember the game has many healing items, revival after death items, and a very lenient checkpoint system that gives you a checkpoint for every new encounter.

This is me playing on those settings Dahbomb and I recommended. And I'm playing with a cast on my thumb. What you see is something that is fun, not hard. If you see that video and you think to yourself, fuck that. Than maybe choose Devil Hunter. But turbo mode hardcore mode is a must. Hardcore mode also sounds more scarier than it is. They should have just called it "properly balanced mode." Also, it's actually more easier when you play it at 60 fps, PS4 upload to youtube only does 30 fps so the youtube video looks harder than it really is due to the lack of fluidity.

Sevyne

Hack and slash games are my favorite next to fighting games but the genre seems to be dying... and it sucks. We had a good couple of years but there seems to be nothing on the horizon.

I wouldn't go that far. May not be much yet on the horizon, but these gaps in genres aren't that uncommon. As long as companies such as Platinum (amongst a few others) exist, you don't have much to worry about really.

PowderedToast

i really would not recommend turbo for a first time playthrough. it's not how the game was designed to be played, it feels like a mod because it is. great for returning visits but seriously...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
i really would not recommend turbo for a first time playthrough. it's not how the game was designed to be played, it feels like a mod because it is. great for returning visits but seriously...

I will play and turbo and like it since the vanilla speed feels slow to me really.

Dahbomb

For newcomers I recommend getting Angel Dash and Trickster Dash as soon as they are available. It will make dodging multiple enemies and big boss attacks much easier.

There's no downside to it. All you're going to be doing by playing the slower speed is getting yourself accustomed to the slower timing.

I disagree. In an interview with the lead combat designer and project lead (she got promoted for the Definitive Edition) she stated that the reason why they didn't do turbo mode for the original release is because the combat would feel too janky and hard to follow considering the game is at 30 fps. And that the increased speed of the enemy attacks wouldn't be appropriate considering at 30 fps, the player has longer controller latency than if the game were to be at 60 fps.

So the combat system was designed around 30 fps tech.

Now, the Definitive Edition is 60 fps. But the core combat speed / pace is still set as if the game was at 30 fps.

So in my opinion, turbo mode actually makes the most sense to activate to take advantage of the higher framerate. You get a better sense of balance. Also, playing an action game that's paced for 30 fps tech, but with the controller responsiveness that 60 fps gives you, further gives the player even -more- of an advantage. 30 fps games have longer controller latency than 60 fps games.

I still say turbo mode is a must. Without it, the game looks super fluid but the pace of combat is discordant with the given response and fluidity benefit that 60 fps brings.

But, you know - opinions so go with what works.

Dahbomb

Game was "designed" for 30FPS and the speed was tuned for it. Playing the base game with 60FPS on default speed feels like its running on molasses. Turbo mode at 60FPS feels like the game's real speed.

Edit: Basically what LHK said.

nikos

Nephilim + Hardcore + Turbo.

Said it before and I'll say it again, it's how you should roll even as a DMC non-veteran.

You have to remember the game has many healing items, revival after death items, and a very lenient checkpoint system that gives you a checkpoint for every new encounter.

This is me playing on those settings Dahbomb and I recommended. And I'm playing with a cast on my thumb. What you see is something that is fun, not hard. If you see that video and you think to yourself, fuck that. Than maybe choose Devil Hunter. But turbo mode hardcore mode is a must. Hardcore mode also sounds more scarier than it is. They should have just called it "properly balanced mode." Also, it's actually more easier when you play it at 60 fps, PS4 upload to youtube only does 30 fps so the youtube video looks harder than it really is due to the lack of fluidity.

Thanks! Playing on those settings now and it feels great. Going to have a lot of fun with this game.

Game was "designed" for 30FPS and the speed was tuned for it. Playing the base game with 60FPS on default speed feels like its running on molasses. Turbo mode at 60FPS feels like the game's real speed.

Edit: Basically what LHK said.

PC version without turbo mode felt fine to me. To each his own.

105.Will

Just finished HC Nephilim.
I forgot how anti-climatic the Vergil "oh btw i'm evil"
was. But that aside from that the changes in this game made it way more enjoyable than the original. I'm probably gonna jump right into Vergils Downfall

Sevyne

Just finished HC Nephilim.
I forgot how anti-climatic the Vergil "oh btw i'm evil" reveal was.
But that aside from that the changes in this game made it way more enjoyable than the original. I'm probably gonna jump right into Vergils Downfall

Might want to spoiler tag that. You are gonna piss off a lot of first timers if they read that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Might want to spoiler tag that. You are gonna piss off a lot of first timers if they read that.

People have always been really bad about spoilers for this game. I remember there were no tags for people discussing the final boss on a stream before the original release even came out.

Sevyne

People have always been really bad about spoilers for this game. I remember there were no tags for people discussing the final boss on a stream before the original release even came out.

So it would seem. Kind of strange how that seems to be a frequent thing with this game.

Hugstable

Banned
About to start a first time playthrough and gonna have a go at it on Nephelim Turbo mode. What are the good skills to go for or upgrade with the points early on here?

Dahbomb

About to start a first time playthrough and gonna have a go at it on Nephelim Turbo mode. What are the good skills to go for or upgrade with the points early on here?
Stinger the classic. You should get this move first in every single DMC game. It's a tradition.

Trillion Stab (combined with Stinger allows you to chase down opponents while keeping Style meter up)

Angel Evade -> Trickster evade when those unlock for you (makes evading a lot easier)

Drive (powerful ranged option)

The pause aerial combos for Osiris and Rebellion (to extend your air combos and give you easy air time)

Arbiter Trinity Smash (huge damage output)

These are good starting moves to invest in. It doesn't really matter as you can try out moves and then refund them for full cost if you wish.

It powers up faster and remains powered up longer but the actual damage boost is slightly lower than before.

Otherwise it's the same.

Bah, that's kind of a bummer. Handy for totally fresh players, though, especially since it's your first alt weapon, but kinda further diminishes its utility next to Aquila (which is of course pretty overpowered) imo.

Dahbomb

Bah, that's kind of a bummer. Handy for totally fresh players, though, especially since it's your first alt weapon, but kinda further diminishes its utility next to Aquila (which is of course pretty overpowered) imo.
Aquila does no damage where as Osiris at full Feed does decent damage while being very safe.

Aquila is also completely useless against certain enemy types.

Aquila does no damage where as Osiris at full Feed does decent damage while being very safe.

Aquila is also completely useless against certain enemy types.

I suppose it's true that the changes to color-coded enemies are a much bigger buff for Osiris than they are for Aquila, yeah, given that Aquila's utility is 100% about stunlocking enemies.

Likewise, probably a bigger buff for Arbiter than for Eryx, given that the risk/reward factor of charged-up attacks is severely diminished when you're not going to get any hitstun out of them.

Dahbomb

I suppose it's true that the changes to color-coded enemies are a much bigger buff for Osiris than they are for Aquila, yeah, given that Aquila's utility is 100% about stunlocking enemies.

Likewise, probably a bigger buff for Arbiter than for Eryx, given that the risk/reward factor of charged-up attacks is severely diminished when you're not going to get any hitstun out of them.
Eryx is still pretty good in this.

It's the most reliable way to parry in this game.

It can launch heavy armored enemies or take them out of super armor.

It can fight very well against Dreamrunners.

Arbiter is the slowest weapon in the game and thus the riskiest.

Eryx is still pretty good in this.

It's the most reliable way to parry in this game.

It can launch heavy armored enemies or take them out of super armor.

It can fight very well against Dreamrunners.

Arbiter is the slowest weapon in the game and thus the riskiest.

Yeah, definitely not gonna claim that it'd make Arbiter *better* than Eryx.

Dominator

Played until Chapter 7, this game is great. Having a lot of fun with this. I love how you can take away experience points and move them around wherever you want.

Dahbomb

My opinion on the weapons haven't changed much since the original DmC game.

Rebellion: Best all around weapon to use in the game. Great for bosses, great for any type of enemy. Relatively safe, good damage, good speed, good style gain and good parry. Drive and Trillion Stabs are godly moves. Helm Breaker is now even better because it counts as a "finisher".

Osiris: Great reach and crowd control, safest weapon in the game to use, decent speed, good to great style gain (not on air hits though), Raze is an excellent launcher as it can launch heavy enemies too and it hits all around you, Rake is a safe way to get enemies up.

Aquila. Best crowd control weapon in the game but the worst damage in the game. Great style gain, Buy In makes trash enemies completely irrelevant (Buy in -> Go ham with Osiris for easy Feed then pile on damage with Rebellion/Eryx Slam). Caliber good as a mobility tool. Round Trip is a godlike at locking out a single mid size enemy and for breaking Witch shields safely.

Eryx. Decent speed for the damage. Charged attacks hit for a lot of damage and can stagger/knockback/break guard. Has best parry window with Snake Eyes because it's active all across the move with a beefy hit box. Air Triangle and O are great moves all around. However the biggest weakness of Eryx in DE is that charged attacks aren't as useful because charging attacks eats up precious Style meter. The only charge moves worth using then are charge Uppercut and charge Slam. Air Triangle counts as a finisher so you will end up using it more.

Arbiter. Trinity Smash is still the hardest hitting move in the game. Decent range but still too slow and unsafe for higher difficulties. Tremor/Drop are good moves for controlling shield enemies and launching them safely. Tremor is a finisher move so it has that extra utility now.

E&I: Still has pitiful damage but you kinda have to use it more often because of how Hardcore mode works to keep the Style bar from dropping too much. Ricoshot is a godlike combo move and a good crowd control move. Rainstorm/Inverse Rainstorm are good style/combo moves as well although provide very little help against bosses. Their speed has been upped though.

Shotgun: The most effective weapon in the game to deal with flying enemies. Breaks the wings of Harpies and 1-2 shots those cherubs at close range. Fireworks not a bad panic move although has limited combo utility. Solid all around weapon.

Kablooey: Charged explosion still does a lot of damage and great for doing damage to bosses and larger enemies. Kinda bad for everything else. Good style gain overall.

As you can see all the weapons are useful in some situations.

Tempted to pick this up, I've been craving an action game for awhile and I like the two levels I played back when it was free for PS3 as part of Plus.

I bought a Wii U a few weeks ago and haven't touched my copy of Bayonetta 2, I should probably play that before grabbing this.

Slaythe

Tempted to pick this up, I've been craving an action game for awhile and I like the two levels I played back when it was free for PS3 as part of Plus.

I bought a Wii U a few weeks ago and haven't touched my copy of Bayonetta 2, I should probably play that before grabbing this.

I doubt we ll get an action game with that quality and replayability anytime soon. For that price too.

Dahbomb

I doubt we ll get an action game with that quality and replayability anytime soon. For that price too.
kdkqsd.gif

Apparently they also increased the fire-rate of kablooey?
Yeah but it's whatever as you can just use enemy step cancel to make it fire faster anyway. It's a change that helps casual play.

OniBaka

Thought the original was bland but this definitive edition makes it feel like the older games and I'm having a blast.

Sesha

The fact that speed increases once you get to S rank is quite cool and a feature I keep forgetting about. Another feature they need to copy in DMC5. DmC is like a little buffet table of cool little ideas, sadly with some large overcooked dishes that often overshadow the cool ideas.

Speaking of, any of you guys that have seen this before? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q7YuoybBEk

I need to try this out.

V_Arnold

All I have to say is that if DMC5 does not borrow DmC's level variety, traversal (the floating platforms levels are AMAZING even in subsequent playthroughs!), and at least partially the CC-aspect of some weapons, well... then I will be disappointed.

Following the footsteps of DmC in level design is a must. Doing otherwise would mean DMC still is stuck in RE3-like level mentality.

Drewfonse

After having played it on the 360, I'm loving it all over on Nephilim/ Turbo. Game feels so smooth. I know that Hardcore mode makes it harder to maintain and gain style levels, but does it make the enemies hit harder? I'm kind of scared.

cheesekao

I'm kind of surprised at how many people gave the definitive edition another shot and liked it even though they did not like the original version of the game. Kudos to NT I suppose.

Dahbomb

After having played it on the 360, I'm loving it all over on Nephilim/ Turbo. Game feels so smooth. I know that Hardcore mode makes it harder to maintain and gain style levels, but does it make the enemies hit harder? I'm kind of scared.
Enemies are only slightly harder. A bit more aggressive and do a bit more damage (it's a 5% difference I believe). Another main change in Hardcore is that the DT does not auto launch enemies and doesn't last as long either. Plus parry windows and dodge windows are shortened.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I'm a bit excited to pick this up in about an hour. Still kinda iffy on the AF issue with the PS4 version but I'm sure it'll get patched.

I really can't figure out a good control scheme, but I'm thinking of something like this:

Angel/Demon on L1 and L2

R1 and R2 will have lock on and either evade or gun

face buttons normal except evade on square possibly if gun is on the R's

Down D-pad for gun special maybe?

Can anyone comment on how often/bad screen tearing is on xbox one version? eurogamer recommended X1 over PS4 but mentioned it had more tearing (I hate tearing)

BadWolf

All I have to say is that if DMC5 does not borrow DmC's level variety, traversal (the floating platforms levels are AMAZING even in subsequent playthroughs!), and at least partially the CC-aspect of some weapons, well... then I will be disappointed.

Following the footsteps of DmC in level design is a must. Doing otherwise would mean DMC still is stuck in RE3-like level mentality.

Can't say I agree, I much preferred replaying the levels in DMC3/DMC4 than DmC. And the less platforming the better.

Less/no recycling of areas is a must though.

Sesha

Nope nope and nope. Platforming have no place in DMC5. It would be a waste of time, and the effort spent on trying to make the platforming fun will steal resources away from the combat. Enemy design in current DMC is the biggest issue that needs to be fixed. We still haven't had a game in the series that even comes close to DMC1s superlative enemy design.
Exploration, with a focus on atmospheric environments, is the only secondary game mechanic that should have any prominence in a DMC game. Think Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Puzzles should be no more complicated than the light puzzles in DMC3, and platforming should be as simple as "jump up on a higher ledge".

Level variety, maybe, but the modern day urban aesthetic is ill-fitting for classic DMC. The surrealism of the environments is something they should try to emulate, though. The upside down prison in the water is the kind of level concepts DMC needs.
Aesthetically, we need more of the gothic and pulpy stuff from DMC1. Hellboy is a good example of the kind of stuff DMC should aspire to. Decrepit castles, Nazi occult science labs, Avalon, stuff like that.

Top Bottom