• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
All I have to say is that if DMC5 does not borrow DmC's level variety, traversal (the floating platforms levels are AMAZING even in subsequent playthroughs!), and at least partially the CC-aspect of some weapons, well... then I will be disappointed.

Following the footsteps of DmC in level design is a must. Doing otherwise would mean DMC still is stuck in RE3-like level mentality.

I think there are plenty of ideas and concepts that mainline DMC should borrow from DmC. I don't find the platforming or travesal a marked improvement at all, personally, but I do think that streamlining the UI in general, and other user oriented features/additions to the shop and training should definitely make it in. I'm also not a fan of the combo pause retained while weapon switching, which is I think what you might be referring to with the CC-aspect?

OSHAN

Picked it up yesterday after already playing through the PS3 version a couple of times. It really does feel like a new game. I was reluctant to pull the trigger but this thread convinced me. Glad I did.

Sesha

I think there are plenty of ideas and concepts that mainline DMC should borrow from DmC. I don't find the platforming or travesal a marked improvement at all, personally, but I do think that streamlining the UI in general, and other user oriented features/additions to the shop and training should definitely make it in. I'm also not a fan of the combo pause retained while weapon switching, which is I think what you might be referring to with the CC-aspect?

CC is crowd control. He's referring to Aquila and Osiris.

Personally I like the pause combo switching, and I don't think they necessitate "combo finishers" like in Bayonetta.

Gbraga

Ok, I think I'm set with:

L1 Shoot
R1 Hold Lock-on
Square Evade
D-pad down Gun Special
R3 Devil Trigger

It's still very weird to use the grapple thingies with L1, but I guess I can get used to it.

So I really really want to pick this up, but A) I think there will be a PC version later, which is preferred. And B) I gave up buying new video games for Lent, which doesn't end until April 3rd

Basically not playing this is killing me

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Rewarding Ninja Theory's hard work trying to please OG DMC fans with a purchase.
zmlmu0zl.jpg

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
CC is crowd control. He's referring to Aquila and Osiris.

Personally I like the pause combo switching, and I don't think they necessitate "combo finishers" like in Bayonetta.

Ah, I see.

DMC had crowd control options, even if they were weapon specific and not quite as enormous as DmC or Bayonetta. I rather like the more restricted nature of the hitboxes. A weapon like A&R is good for crowd control, but it's not a dumb weapon that hits everything around the player character.

Dahbomb

The final boss is ridiculous in this game. I want to see how people are going to beat him on GMD because even on SoS he whooped my ass (died 3 times to him, didn't die to any other boss fight in SoS). That last phase of his he just turns on XF3 and goes ham on you.

FreeMufasa

Rah.....this game is great. I know this version has a shit ton of improvements but the original can't have been that bad to garner such negative reactions. I'm assuming the core game is the same.

Turbo mode is sick.

D-VoN

Picked it up yesterday after already playing through the PS3 version a couple of times. It really does feel like a new game. I was reluctant to pull the trigger but this thread convinced me. Glad I did.

I'm still on the fence but I'm thinking about getting it as well. Loved it on PS3 and I need something to tide me over until Bloodborne. Plus I can get it for $32 at Best Buy with GCU.
I think I just talked myself into it.

Dahbomb

Alright it's been a while so whats the optimal button mapping for this game?
"Most optimum" setting is Square for Melee attack and O for Special attack so that those buttons are close to the jump button for jump cancelling. Triangle for Gun Special.

L1/L2 for Angel/Demon modes, R1 for Gun shoot (to charge shots) and R2 for dodge.

Down on D-pad for Devil Trigger.

Lock on to R3 and set it to Toggle. That will free up one button for you while still giving you the lock on advantages.

This setting will allow you to do most of the advance combos that people online will do but it's definitely not the most comfortable or the most intuitive.

Are the difficulty modes supposed to be in roughly the order they're presented in? So the new Gods Must Die is harder than Dante Must Die but not as hard as Heaven or Hell?

ezekial45

Banned
Are the difficulty modes supposed to be in roughly the order they're presented in? So the new Gods Must Die is harder than Dante Must Die but not as hard as Heaven or Hell?
Not necessarily. Heaven and Hell/Hell and Hell modes are tuned with the Nephilim difficulty, IIRC. While Gods Must Die is in factor harder than DMD mode, Heaven and Hell mode might be relatively easy for folks who made it past DMD.

Gbraga

Heaven or Hell and Hell or Hell are gimmick difficulties, Gods Must Die is the hardest difficulty.

Dahbomb

Difficulty peaks at Gods Must Die. When you beat Son of Sparda you unlock DanyeD AND Heaven or Hell. Heaven or Hell is stupidly easy and after you beat Heaven or Hell you unlock Hell or Hell which is hard but not that hard.

After beating DMD you unlock Gods Must Die. You can also stack the modifers.

GMD + Must Style + Hardcore is going to be downright UNFAIR. I personally will not even attempt that, just GMD + Hardcore.

Not necessarily. Heaven and Hell/Hell and Hell modes are tuned with the Nephilim difficulty, IIRC. While Gods Must Die is in factor harder than DMD mode, Heaven and Hell mode might be relatively easy for folks who made it past DMD.

According to the DMC Wiki they're tuned around the Son of Sparda difficulty

Heaven or Hell and Hell or Hell are gimmick difficulties, Gods Must Die is the hardest difficulty.

Difficulty peaks at Gods Must Die. When you beat Son of Sparda you unlock DanyeD AND Heaven or Hell. Heaven or Hell is stupidly easy and after you beat Heaven or Hell you unlock Hell or Hell which is hard but not that hard.

After beating DMD you unlock Gods Must Die. You can also stack the modifers.

GMD + Must Style + Hardcore is going to be downright UNFAIR. I personally will not even attempt that, just GMD + Hardcore.

Thank you everyone for replying!

All I have to say is that if DMC5 does not borrow DmC's level variety, traversal (the floating platforms levels are AMAZING even in subsequent playthroughs!), and at least partially the CC-aspect of some weapons, well... then I will be disappointed.

Following the footsteps of DmC in level design is a must. Doing otherwise would mean DMC still is stuck in RE3-like level mentality.

Yes to DmC's general variety and generally fantastic environment art quality, no to the platforming. I'd rather have a game with platforming that gets a D- but just about never forces you to do it than a game with platforming that gets a C+ but has huge and frequent forced platforming segments.

And the floating platform levels reeeeeeally aren't that great on subsequent playthroughs, not really on the initial one. They're functionally QTE platforming like Prince of Persia 2008.

Gbraga

If it's true that Itsuno himself wanted to get rid of lock-on, I hope he's convinced now that he should keep it for DMC5.

Even a game designed entirely around not having a hard lock is better with it.

And thankfully Ninja Theory not only understood that it was missed, but went further and gave us input method options, as well as toggle vs hold.

Dahbomb

Hope someone is cooking up some GMD vids.
Unlikely, on the GMD Hardcore PS4 Leaderboards there's a total of ONE person who has actually completed a mission and he has completed 2 missions.

We still got a long way to go. I am personally 5 missions deep into DMD Hardcore, looking to complete that mode by tomorrow so I can enter GMD for first time.

Did some testing today on Style meter and dodges etc.

*You need to do 4 different moves after a move to not count as a repetition. In old DMC games it used to be 2 moves in between. On Hardcore mode that is but it's probably the same as normal.

*You need to complete a move for it to register as doing the move in the Style bar and get full credit. Last hit of combos are very important now.

*It goes without saying but the lock on is extremely useful in managing enemy health so you hit them with a finisher at the correct health range.

*Dodge and parry have similar timing. Not just frame timing but tighter than before. If you are having trouble with the timing, you need to input later than what it appears.

Gbraga

Unlikely, on the GMD Hardcore PS4 Leaderboards there's a total of ONE person who has actually completed a mission and he has completed 2 missions.

We still got a long way to go. I am personally 5 missions deep into DMD Hardcore, looking to complete that mode by tomorrow so I can enter GMD for first time.

Are you streaming more?

EDIT: I still don't have angel dashes, can you demon dodge into 3 angel dashes or did they remove using both?

OniBaka

Ok, I think I'm set with:

L1 Shoot
R1 Hold Lock-on
Square Evade
D-pad down Gun Special
R3 Devil Trigger

It's still very weird to use the grapple thingies with L1, but I guess I can get used to it.

Pretty much my setup and its working pretty good, I wish the angel and demon pull weren't on shoot button though.

Dahbomb

Are you streaming more?

EDIT: I still don't have angel dashes, can you demon dodge into 3 angel dashes or did they remove using both?
You can still chain Demon Dodge into Angel Dashes.

I want to stream more, maybe Friday morning. I just don't want to be in a situation where I start a stream and something comes up which I have to attend to.

I kinda want to be among first 5 person's to beat GMD Hardcore. I feel like I can easily do it if I had a couple of crack sessions. I have gotten a feel for the game and boss wise there is no insanely difficult fight except for Vergil and there are only a few enemy configurations that can present a problem at GMD.

SeanTSC

Heh, just got an email from Best Buy that my DmC:DE order is back-ordered and I put my pre-order in well over a month ago. They either sold a shit load or didn't have much stock.

Pein

Banned
I was a huge fan of the original release on the 360, loving this remaster. The upped frame rate, the improved difficulty and turbo mode, they're all so good.

The club level is still stunning and goddamn do I like the boss fights. I wish we get a sequel so bad.

Sesha

I want to play this game so bad. I'm not gonna resort to port begging but you fucking know what I want. Pls Capcom pls.

Ah, I see.

DMC had crowd control options, even if they were weapon specific and not quite as enormous as DmC or Bayonetta. I rather like the more restricted nature of the hitboxes. A weapon like A&R is good for crowd control, but it's not a dumb weapon that hits everything around the player character.

Not fond of crowd control either. I much prefer 1v1 combat. It works in DmC, but I don't want it in future DMCs, outside of a weapon or two.

yea I hate tearing as well. wondering how bad the X1 version is.

It's not bad at all. My roommate bought it for xbox one and I bought mine for my PS4. If I knew he was interested in it I would have told him to just use my copy.

I saw him play a mission with a lot of combat and to be honest I didn't notice that much tearing. Maybe just a few instances per mission.

mackmoney

I picked up the PS4 version as I was a fan of the original, having been introduced to it on PC. The game is worth owning but the DE is not worth a double dip if you are coming from the PC version.

Fjordson

So I got the PS4 version and my friend said to turn on turbo mode asap, but that seems kinda weird. The whole game is just straight up 20% faster? Is this ideal for a first playthrough?

I apologize if this is a dumb question or treading old ground, but I don't play many character action games like this, so the idea of just speeding everything up is a little foreign to me.

Dahbomb

Not being able to auto parry enemy/bosses for easy crumples or easy demon dodge for big damage boost alone makes the game a lot tougher.

I was watching a vanilla DmC DMD SSS rank run and like half of that guy's strats wouldn't work in DE neither would the combos for high Style rank.

The level of play that would get you SSS ranks/bar in vanilla would probably won't even get you an A in Hardcore DMD. I know this because I got SSS ranks all day on vanilla DMD with cheese tactics but now I am struggling to get even single Ss.

So I got the PS4 version and my friend said to turn on turbo mode asap, but that seems kinda weird. The whole game is just straight up 20% faster? Is this ideal for a first playthrough?

I apologize if this is a dumb question or treading old ground, but I don't play many character action games like this, so the idea of just speeding everything up is a little foreign to me.
That's fine for first playthrough. Once you get used to Turbo you will probably never go back to default speed.

ship it

It's not bad at all. My roommate bought it for xbox one and I bought mine for my PS4. If I knew he was interested in it I would have told him to just use my copy.

I saw him play a mission with a lot of combat and to be honest I didn't notice that much tearing. Maybe just a few instances per mission.

thanks for the impressions. guess I'll be picking up an XB1 copy.

sn00zer

Did Ninja Theory have anything to do with this release?...Gah I need to play this game....been waiting to play DmC before it got 60fps on consoles...played a bit of DmC my impression was

World: DMC1>>DmC>>DMC4=DMC3
Gameplay: DMC4 >DMC3 >DmC >DMC1
Dante: DMC1>DMC3>DMC4>DmC
Dante Design: DMC2> DMC1 >DmC>DMC4>>>>>>DMC3

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Did Ninja Theory have anything to do with this release?...Gah I need to play this game....been waiting to play DmC before it got 60fps on consoles...played a bit of DmC my impression was

It's all them listening to fan feedback pretty much since Itsuno is working on DMC4SE and something else.

ezekial45

Banned

What do you mean? Ninja Theory did the design and gameplay. Though it seems Q-Loc did the work on the engine and technical aspects. Not sure, but yes Ninja Theory did all the gameplay on this one.

sn00zer

What do you mean? Ninja Theory did the design and gameplay. Though it seems Q-Loc did the work on the engine and technical aspects. Not sure, but yes Ninja Theory did all the gameplay on this one.

Oh it was just weird their name isnt on the DE box and I didnt see any Ninja Theory prmo vids from them, only from the Capcom side. Basically are the fixes Capcom side or from Ninja?

Dahbomb

NT designed DmC DE (the game play changes) while QLOC handled the porting. Capcom is too busy with DMC4SE and DMC5 at the moment.

So yea this is NT's game. Most of the changes were based off of fan feedback.

And yea it's weird that NT's name isn't on the front of the box though it's on the backside.

Most have already saw this but when Ezekial sees this maybe he can put it up on the OT.

The complete change list .pdf:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/go/document/download/d0526eeff7499beb0202f6fde35edb89

Thanks for posting this! I hadn't seen it yet. They really changed a lot in this game, and it improved the experience a lot.

I have one question though; did they add more collectables, or just change the locations of some of them? I can't remember how many secret missions and souls there were in the vanilla game, so I can't tell if these collectables in different locations are new or just old ones that were moved.

Thanks for posting this! I hadn't seen it yet. They really changed a lot in this game, and it improved the experience a lot.

I have one question though; did they add more collectables, or just change the locations of some of them? I can't remember how many secret missions and souls there were in the vanilla game, so I can't tell if these collectables in different locations are new or just old ones that were moved.

No, the collectible count remains sames. Lost Souls, Keys, Secret Missions.

They did (as they admit in the change log) simplify the trophies, and relocated the collectible stuff in easier to find locations because they wanted collectible 'hunting' to be less annoying. Which makes sense in an action game.

Also, key locations are generally more easier to find and obtained because the idea is for people to play the secret missions, not spend hours trying to find the fucking key that lets them attempt it to begin with.

Good changes, IMO.

Also, to get the Bloody Palace trophies you can do this even with the timer off.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played the first few missions of Vergil's Downfall, which I hadn't played before. Took some getting used to since Vergil feels quite different but I really like playing as him. I can combo much easier with him than with Dante. I mess up the platforming all the time with him, though. No double jump wrecks my flow.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

:/

My ideal DMC game would feature zero platforming at all. The missions leading up to Bob Barbas are the worst in the game for that reason alone.

Exploration, with a focus on atmospheric environments, is the only secondary game mechanic that should have any prominence in a DMC game. Think Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Puzzles should be no more complicated than the light puzzles in DMC3, and platforming should be as simple as "jump up on a higher ledge".

Bloodborne is the follow-up to DMC1 I've always wanted from a purely artistic standpoint. Those creature designs are just incredible. I would love if Capcom borrowed what they could from the Souls series while retaining DMC's gameplay.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

You made that DmC "worthy" thread and have been pushing DmC hardcore since the original release and you haven't even beaten the base game?

And yeah, as people have stated above, NT's combat designer Rahni Tucker took feedback from the hardcore community and implemented the changes. Itsuno is busy with DMC4SE.

Dahbomb

5 players have beaten GMD on PS4 leaderboards (Non Hardcore) and each of those players is from a different country. GMD Hardcore remains unconquered.

I'm torn between double dipping this and getting Xenoverse in a few hours....
I LOVED DmC. With all this new stuff I'm pretty sure its a game I'll keep around for a LONG time.

Hell, if they're going back to the old characters this will be the only dmc game I'll replay lol

Top Bottom