• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

Demoskinos

Anyone having issues with leaderboards on PS4? I'm just doing a standard playthrough to get my feet wet after not having played the game since its original console release and rolling through the game on Devil Hunter at the end of the mission it says score submitted but then I just get this....
B__8fqcUkAEQ0pY.jpg:large

You can obviously see a score at the bottom but nothing is showing up on the actual leader boards and I finished this level like over 24 hours ago so I don't think its just a matter of waiting for the servers.

Demoskinos

Press the triangle button. It's filtering to show only your score.

I know which is what I'm saying its not uploading my scores. Or the server isn't posting them or something. Even switching to the "Global" filter and searching where I should be viewing with that filter nothing shows.

I just got this today, and after like an hour or 2 of playing I feel as though I could play this for the next month and still not master it. this is a great feeling lol

This game is awesome. I don't think I'm quite ready yet for turbo mode. I've been playing too much FF14 and I'm not used to normal non-mmo games. It's throwing me off lol

ezekial45

Banned
I know which is what I'm saying its not uploading my scores. Or the server isn't posting them or something. Even switching to the "Global" filter and searching where I should be viewing with that filter nothing shows.

My bad. Not sure what the issue is for that, it worked fine for me earlier.

Demoskinos

My bad. Not sure what the issue is for that, it worked fine for me earlier.

Yeah, I don't know either its frustrating. Have at least one other friend that apparently its happening to as well so I'm not alone but doesn't seem widespread so not sure what the issue is.

Wow really impressed, looks gorgeous at 1080/60 gameplay/environment wise and plays so much better than PS3 version, some cutscene character models look bad but its very small amount of screen time

On chapter 5 and only had 1 situation of noticeable tearing on X1 - glad I bought that version from Eurogamer comparison since I love some of the colorful textures (felt odd passing up PS4 version on multiplat)

My favorite DMC as someone who is just a casual fan of the series

Ghazi

Wow really impressed, looks gorgeous at 1080/60 gameplay/environment wise and plays so much better than PS3 version

On chapter 5 and only had 1 situation of noticeable tearing on X1 - glad I bought that version from Eurogamer comparison since I love some of the colorful textures (felt odd passing up PS4 version on multiplat

My favorite DMC as someone who is just a casual fan of the series
Maybe I'm unlucky, but I've noticed a decent bit of tearing. I think the game looks ugly in some parts and good in others, really spotty quality. Gameplay is fun, but not on previous DMC levels. Can't wait for 4SE, it will be amazing.

ezekial45

Banned
The only technical issues I've had so far are in the church on Mission 4. When I launch the Tyrant and do the air combo, the FPS drops like a rock. I tend to a air combo Tyrants so it's happen pretty consistently for me at that particular spot.

Other than that, it's been smooth sailing.

Maybe I'm unlucky, but I've noticed a decent bit of tearing. I think the game looks ugly in some parts and good in others, really spotty quality. Gameplay is fun, but not on previous DMC levels. Can't wait for 4SE, it will be amazing.

Oh cool will get that, didn't realize that was coming, we also have bloodborne and dark souls scholar coming too, plus witcher 3

ZeroX03

Banned
One part in Vergil's Downfall gets really choppy. Talking sub-30fps. It's only for a few seconds and non-combat though.

ArcLyte

Man, not at all digging the characters or the angsty, teen fantasy tone of the story, despite the solid gameplay. Completely lost interest.

Carbonox

Anyone having issues with leaderboards on PS4? I'm just doing a standard playthrough to get my feet wet after not having played the game since its original console release and rolling through the game on Devil Hunter at the end of the mission it says score submitted but then I just get this....
B__8fqcUkAEQ0pY.jpg:large

You can obviously see a score at the bottom but nothing is showing up on the actual leader boards and I finished this level like over 24 hours ago so I don't think its just a matter of waiting for the servers.

It takes a while for the score to register on the list. I notice that any time I get a score, it won't update until I do another mission and get a score in that. I go back and the previous one has been posted. This happened to me in the vanilla version too.

ezekial45

Banned
One thing I appreciate with the HCM is that it's now harder to get upgrade points. I maxed out everything in Vanilla DmC pretty quick, but now I'm about halfway through DMD mode and I still have plenty of stuff to upgrade.

Ghazi

Seems like it would have cost more money to reserve a mocap studio and record new mocap. Most of the changes they made were gameplay tweaks using existing animations (like triple angel evade).

Sure, but it's dumb that it wasn't in the original game.

Dahbomb

One thing I appreciate with the HCM is that it's now harder to get upgrade points. I maxed out everything in Vanilla DmC pretty quick, but now I'm about halfway through DMD mode and I still have plenty of stuff to upgrade.
Upgrade points are given based on mission ranking and style ranking during combos. Because Hardcore is so stingy with everything you get less Upgrade points as a result of getting lower mission rankings.

I think I have 5 more upgrades to go and I am 4 missions away from beating DMD.

Dazzyman

Please add me on both xbox1 versions and ps4 as double dipped.

Ps4 Dazzy_man
Xb1 Dazzyman

Loving the frame rate over original vanilla 360, I love this game :)

ezekial45

Banned
I definitely would've liked to have had taunting in. NT said they didn't include it because of it conflicting with narrative, which I flat out disagree with. Having costumes and later weapons early on conflicts with the narrative, but those are okay because its purely a gameplay and design attribute. Taunts should be no different.

However, I do kinda see the challenge of integrating taunts, not only in terms with control scheme (where you gonna put it) but also how it'd play into the Style-meter.

They really over did the style ranking nerf. Not only is it really difficult to keep up, you lose it way too fast and what you get more or less points from is way too imbalanced.

I honestly hope they get at least one patch in, balancing the style ranking and doing a little something more regarding the color coded enemies

Dahbomb

They really over did the style ranking nerf. Not only is it really difficult to keep up, you lose it way too fast and what you get more or less points from is way too imbalanced.

I honestly hope they get at least one patch in, balancing the style ranking and doing a little something more regarding the color coded enemies
Style ranking is fine, it's just tuned for high level play which is how it should be anyway.

I have been getting S ranks more consistently now that I get the style ranking system even on Hardcore. Of course it's still very hard to get those high style ranks in DMD mode when enemies attack more frequently and can kill you quickly.

I do however agree with the color coated enemies thing, even with the tweak you are still basically forced to use the correct weapons especially on higher difficulties.

Edit: Back on Style rankings and how to optimize style... you have to basically optimize every aspect of your play. This means performing more parries, performing more Demon Dodge/last second dodges, being more aggressive, stringing Demon Dodge into Angel Dodge to keep the pressure up, using cancels to decrease down time, finishing moves (the last hit of combos actually build a lot of style if you complete them), using more guns, killing enemies with finishers and of course variating attacks as much as possible.

Because stuff like Demon Dodge and parrying has been "nerfed" in terms of the timing plus the Style goes down faster it has increased the skill cap of DmC dramatically as all of these things work in tandem with each other.

Things get pretty damn difficult in GMD mode when enemies spawn with DT and the only way to do real combos on them is to break their DT which for most enemies means parrying them. There comes a big pressure on constantly parrying and of course if you miss the parry you will lose half life.

Quick question: is it better to finish a combo before starting another? Been trying to throw launchers inbetween for some air combos to boost my ranking. some times I wind up with SSS a lot, and sometimes I can barely maintain S-SS rank. I'm trying not to reuse any combos.

Dahbomb

Quick question: is it better to finish a combo before starting another? Been trying to throw launchers inbetween for some air combos to boost my ranking. some times I wind up with SSS a lot, and sometimes I can barely maintain S-SS rank. I'm trying not to reuse any combos.
You should finish a combo when it will lead into a kill. Otherwise keep stringing together different attacks and keep an eye on the opponent's life (the lock on displays their health).

The longer your combo is, the bigger bonus your combo finisher will do. You know you did it right when you do a really long combo, you finish the air combo with like a Helm Breaker which kills the enemy and you are rewarded with "Awesome Combo" below the Style meter. If you are getting a lot of these "Awesome Combo" accolades then that means you are doing it right.

You should finish a combo when it will lead into a kill. Otherwise keep stringing together different attacks and keep an eye on the opponent's life (the lock on displays their health).

The longer your combo is, the bigger bonus your combo finisher will do. You know you did it right when you do a really long combo, you finish the air combo with like a Helm Breaker which kills the enemy and you are rewarded with "Awesome Combo" below the Style meter. If you are getting a lot of these "Awesome Combo" accolades then that means you are doing it right.

To be honest, it's still very easy to exploit the style meter.

Pseudo-notation:

Launch(no rank)
Rebellion air combo one (3/4 D Rank) >
Rebellion air combo two (1/4 C rank) > J/C >
Osiris air combo one (B Rank) >
Rainstorm > J/C
Helm breaker > (A Rank)
Full Stinger xx Trillion Stabs (S Rank)

Means you can make Must Style mode that much easier since you can do damage relatively easily.

Not sure how you would get around this but acknowledging repeated combos would be possible.

Also, on the fly switching and jump cancels don't give you any rewards as the game doesn't consider a jump cancelled combo to be completed. The level of technical skill in combos isn't rewarded :(

Demoskinos

It takes a while for the score to register on the list. I notice that any time I get a score, it won't update until I do another mission and get a score in that. I go back and the previous one has been posted. This happened to me in the vanilla version too.

Some of my scores are updating but not all of them. I've got scores now for 1,2,3 and 8 yet I'm on mission like...12 or something now? Not horribly worried about it yet as I'm still just doing my initial run. But once I get around to SSS ranking everything it would be nice if the scores actually posted. =\

Sesha

Because stuff like Demon Dodge and parrying has been "nerfed" in terms of the timing plus the Style goes down faster it has increased the skill cap of DmC dramatically as all of these things work in tandem with each other.

Things get pretty damn difficult in GMD mode when enemies spawn with DT and the only way to do real combos on them is to break their DT which for most enemies means parrying them. There comes a big pressure on constantly parrying and of course if you miss the parry you will lose half life.

Stuff like this is why we need a more elaborate stun system in DMC games.

Stuff like this is why we need a more elaborate stun system in DMC games.

DMC4 had the same thing. You couldn't juggle enemies as easily and they had a guard break.

Yes, there are some prerendered cutscenes, though most are rendered in-game.

Mission 4 is a good example
Start mission 4
Opening cutscenes is "pre-rendered". Kat saying "The camera spotted you" is in game. That being said some cutscenes were changed from 360 to Xbox One.

ike_

Biggest surprise for me playing through casually on Nephilim was the final boss fight
not requiring Devil Trigger to finish
! I seriously thought I glitched it until I read more about the changes.

It did seem harder to achieve SSS rank in combos too (not playing on combo remix mode), but I wasn't sure if that was just in my head.

Carbonox

Some of my scores are updating but not all of them. I've got scores now for 1,2,3 and 8 yet I'm on mission like...12 or something now? Not horribly worried about it yet as I'm still just doing my initial run. But once I get around to SSS ranking everything it would be nice if the scores actually posted. =\

Oh wow haven't encountered that before.

I'm going through regular Dante Must Die mode now (on final mission) and I'm up to 5th in the world Total. That's the scrub leaderboard though, my Hardcore mode run of DMD is where the JUICE is.

RyzeWiR.gif

I'm going to fail spectacularly

Happy to have returned to DmC. I've always said I would not be against a sequel to this but it's very unlikely at this point and I do want a DMC5 first and foremost. As an action fan I'd take both universes running alongside eachother but yeah, that's not happening.

Dahbomb

To be honest, it's still very easy to exploit the style meter.

Pseudo-notation:

Launch(no rank)
Rebellion air combo one (3/4 D Rank) >
Rebellion air combo two (1/4 C rank) > J/C >
Osiris air combo one (B Rank) >
Rainstorm > J/C
Helm breaker > (A Rank)
Full Stinger xx Trillion Stabs (S Rank)

Means you can make Must Style mode that much easier since you can do damage relatively easily.

Not sure how you would get around this but acknowledging repeated combos would be possible.

Also, on the fly switching and jump cancels don't give you any rewards as the game doesn't consider a jump cancelled combo to be completed. The level of technical skill in combos isn't rewarded :(
I know all of this but good luck trying to complete that combo on DMD or higher when enemies are attacking non stop.

Also ranking gets tougher beyond S rank and it's tough to maintain.

Enemy step isn't rewarded and it shouldn't be. The reward is in the fast cancelling itself as long as you use it sporadically. Spamming Calibur enemy step Calibur shouldn't be rewarded anyway.

So doing stuff like Drop ES Helm Breaker is it's own reward.

ezekial45

Banned
Oh wow haven't encountered that before.

I'm going through regular Dante Must Die mode now (on final mission) and I'm up to 5th in the world Total. That's the scrub leaderboard though, my Hardcore mode run of DMD is where the JUICE is.

RyzeWiR.gif

I'm going to fail spectacularly

Happy to have returned to DmC. I've always said I would not be against a sequel to this but it's very unlikely at this point and I do want a DMC5 first and foremost. As an action fan I'd take both universes running alongside eachother but yeah, that's not happening.

The only regular mission I've tried was the first one, which was automatically set when you boot up the game. I've been on HCM this whole time. But yeah, I'm on the club mission now, and I've been getting my ass kicked the whole time. I've had a few missions that went really well, and that's me without dying. I fucking love it though.

I'm just happy to see this game become even better. I was really into the last game, faults and all, and seeing it evolve into this version was a joy. I'd LOVE to see a sequel, because I feel they've left it a point that is different than regular DMC, but also leaves a lot of room for its own growth on combat. I'm not putting out too much hope, as NT seemed to have moved on to HellBlade and some other title they've got in the works. But then again, I didn't think we'd even see a remastered port like this.

I'd totally love to have the franchise to have two pillars (DmC and DMC), one they could switch off from every so often, but I'm not holding out too much hope for that. I'm just glad we did get this game, however. Despite how the reception turned out upon reveal, it was probably the best thing to happen to the studio, as it seriously upped their gameplay design skills, and they managed to also make a good Western-centric version of a JPN title -- which are often of varying quality. This game is definitely in the circle of titles that live up the series they're based off of.

Dominator

Loved the game, just beat it. Started Virgil and got stuck here:

I'm probably being incredibly dumb, but I have no clue how to get through this gate. I walk into it and its like I'm just walking into a wall.

Top Bottom