• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

Kade

The moment of truth. We will finally know if the 12 year old DMC fanatics who plague the comment section of DmC videos on YouTube are right about the game being awful.

I'm personally waiting for the PC version because of 60FPS and better visuals but I'll be using a 360 controller anyways so hopefully that version of the demo is good.

sleepykyo

And the PASBR review thread the same day too. That one could be potentially worse. Especially if the reviews are mixed/negative.

I think I'd better just stay away from NeoGaf tomorrow.

Disagree. Uncharted 2 aside, seems like Uncharted 3 was pretty tame. The RE6 thing on the other hand was amazing. Capcom threads always get the most heated.

Dahbomb

Rebellion:

New_Rebellion_DmC.jpg

Combo I Hacker: /\/\/\/\
Standard combo for Rebellion. Last hit sends enemy flying.

Combo II Death Coil: /\/\,(pause)/\/\
Alternate combo that adds more hits and more horizontal coverage.

Drive: /\ (hold and release) /\
The charge move of Rebellion. Releases shockwaves up to 3 depending upon button pressed (Overdrive)

Hightime: O
The DMC signature launcher. Your passport to combat heaven.

Rising Hightime: O (press and hold)
Launcher follow that allows you to rise with your enemy for aerial follow ups.

Air Rave Base 1: In air: /\/\/\
Basic 3 hit air combo sends opponent flying

Roulette Spin Base 2: In air: /\/\ (pause) /\
The alternate aerial combo from DMC4's Nero. The extra spins launches the enemy even higher.
Stinger: Forward, Forward /\
The classical sword lunge moves that allows you to get in and close the distance between you and your opponent.

Trillion Stab: Forward, Forward /\ (mash /\)
Remixed follow up to Stinger allows you to keep the combos going after knockbacks.

Helm Breaker: In the air O
A vertical downward slash

Dodge: R1
The basic dodge of the game.

Air Dodge: In the air, R1
A simply flip in the air that is neutral in direction. Pressing a direction will allow a very short dash in the specified direction.

Osiris: (L2 must be held at all times during these set-ups)

osiris_zps3ec1ad9e.png

Combo I Karma: /\/\/\/\/\
Standard Osiris combo lots of horizontal coverage.

Combo II Cleaver: /\/\ (pause)/\/\/\
Alternate Osiris combo that delivers even more hits.

Raze: /\(press and hold)
A chargeable move that creates a swirl of slashes around Dante and launches all enemies around him while launching himself. Charge increases number of hits and damage.

Prop: O
Standard launcher for Osiris as Dante spins the scythe and keeps the opponent juggling. Can be canceled during the spins.

Shredder: O then O
Follow up to Prop that shreds the enemies with more spin but in the opposite direction.

Streak: Forward Forward /\
A swirling lunge forward with the scythe to keep the combo going across long distances.

Air Combo I Hangar: /\/\/\
Standard air combo for Osiris

Air Combo II Double Up: /\/\ (pause)/\/\
The alternate air combo that has more hits and sends your opponent even higher

Rake: In the air O
A vertical scoop that allows you to pick up enemies below you straight into an air combo

Feed: passive ability of Osiris that powers up the weapon as you attack and hit more frequently with it.

Angel Lift: []
Dante uses his angel powers to pull himself towards the enemy. The application of this move is similar to a teleport.

Kicker: During Angel Lift tap [] an additional time
After a pull Dante delivers a kick that sends opponent flying

Leap: During Demon Pull tap X an additional time
After a pull Dante delivers a beastly uppercut that launches the opponent.

Angel Dodge: R1 or L1 timed to an enemy's attack
A phasing teleport dodge that allows you to phase through enemies unharmed.

Arbiter: (R2 must be held at all time during these set ups)

arbiter_zpsed4e4470.png

Combo I Judgment: /\/\/\
A powerful 3 hit combo with the Arbiter.

Combo II Trinity Smash: /\/\ (pause) /\ (or hold for last hit)
The last hit of this move is extremely powerful and leaves after images of Dante for extra impost.

Flush: Forward – Forward /\
Dante tosses the axe like a projectile, delivering solid long ranged damage

Tremor: O
A devastating vertical hit that sends a shockwave forward. The shockwave can launch enemies.

Aerial Flush: In the air /\
Dante tosses the axe from the air.

Drop: In the air O
Essentially a Tremor that brings Dante to the earth delivering a powerful strike.
Launches enemies straight up.

Demon Pull: []
Dante pulls the enemy towards him like the Devil Bringer from DMC4.

Can use Kicker and Leap after Demon pull as well.

Demon Dodge: R1 or L1 timed with opponents attack
A timed dodge that if successfully pulled off powers up the Arbiter's next attack.

Weapon Changing:
If you initiate the paused combo of one weapon, and switch to the other, you will automatically go into the alternate timed combo of the other weapon.

Example:
With Rebellion: /\/\, (pause) L2+/\
You will go straight into Osiris alternate timed combo ender. You can take this mentality from any one of the three weapons to an other. It doesn’t have to start with Rebellion.

Ebony and Ivory
:

f46b69da76ae9967c78c32b2a7720d06.jpg

Ricoshot: [] press and hold [] then release
The new charged shot variant of E&I. Bullets ricochet off of surfaces.

Rainstorm: In the air []+X (press and hold)
The Gunslinger move from DMC3/DMC4 that sees Dante spiraling down while firing his guns aimed downwards

Inverse Rainstorm: [] + X on ground (press and hold) to extend duration. (or it might be mash, not sure)
As the name describes it, this is the Rainstorm going in the opposite direction upwards

If the shotgun is enabled in the demo, fireworks is preformed via []+X as well.

And finally, as a note – you want to demon pull enemy shields off. Judging by the footages I’ve seen, trying to break them with Rebellion and Osiris seems like a lost cause.

** These are PS3 controls.
/\ = Y
O = B
R2/L2 = Triggers
Square = X

The controls are one to one conversion between the ps3 and xbox 360.

This reminds me when DMC4 demo dropped. Just like now people were waiting for it to be uploaded on XBOX live. I created a JPN PSN account just to play it early, only to find out the demo was timed lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is DMC4 worth playing? I never got around to playing it mainly because when it came out I didn't own a 360/ps3

Absolutely. There are some pacing issues, the boss repetition was excessive, and the game overall felt like it needed more development time, but with those things in mind the game is great.

iavi

Absolutely. There are some pacing issues, the boss repetition was excessive, and the game overall felt like it needed more development time, but with those things in mind the game is great.

It's hard to keep all that in mind and find any enjoyment in the game. Personally, I couldn't stand dmc4 because of it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's hard to keep all that in mind and find any enjoyment in the game. Personally, I couldn't stand dmc4 because of it.

Eh, I didn't have an issue with it. A lot of people recognize the incredible potential that DMC4 had if only it had more time in the oven.

BadWolf

Is DMC4 worth playing? I never got around to playing it mainly because when it came out I didn't own a 360/ps3

The fighting system is solid but other than that it is completely forgettable I feel. The backtracking you do in this game is downright embarrassing.

Don't go in expecting the overall package to be nearly as good or memorable as DMC1 or 3.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The fighting system is solid but other than that it is completely forgettable I feel. The backtracking you do in this game is downright embarrassing.

Don't go in expecting the overall package to be nearly as good or memorable as DMC1 or 3.

It's not the back tracking so much that annoyed me as much as how shitty dante felt in dmc4 compared to how fluid everything Nero did was.

Dahbomb

Dante and shitty in the same sentence....

I guess we are in that part of the DmC thread cycle aka talk smack about DMC4.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dante and shitty in the same sentence....

I guess we are in that part of the DmC thread cycle aka talk smack about DMC4.

Nah I loved dmc4 it's my favorite in the series. I just hated dante's gameplay. He can kill shit about 3x faster than nero though on lots of stuff. He just felt a lot more stiff and even though he was technically more complex he gave me the old school basic feeling. Maybe I'm just weird

Dahbomb

They both complimented each other very well, I love them both. The game was just so clearly designed around Nero. You realize this when you Hightime a Frost with Nero vs Hightiming with Dante.

Esura

Banned
I never actually thought much about DMC4's backtracking until years later and seen a few people on another message board complain about it. While it wasn't as blatant as DMC4, I'm pretty sure there was backtracking in other DMCs too. Never bothered me personally, I liked fucking up Nero's bosses with Dante.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
They both complimented each other very well, I love them both. The game was just so clearly designed around Nero. You realize this when you Hightime a Frost with Nero vs Hightiming with Dante.

I realized it when I fucking blew up the toad boss in about 10 seconds :lol

Dahbomb

There was definitely backtracking in every DMC game. DMC1 a 6 hour game has you backtracking for 2 hours of it. DMC3 was the DMC game with the longest legitimate campaign. DMC2 is basically DMC4 levels bad.

ezekial45

Banned
I never actually thought much about DMC4's backtracking until years later and seen a few people on another message board complain about it. While it wasn't as blatant as DMC4, I'm pretty sure there was backtracking in other DMCs too.

Of course, when you find items and or keys and have to head back to close objective, but nothing like what DMC4 did. They literally had you retrace your footsteps all the back to the beginning of the game. At least the other games changed the layout and atmosphere a lot when doing it. Temin-negru (spelling?) expanded and tore apart the levels about halfway through which made some of the earlier places almost unrecognizable, and DMC1 added the night time sequences and the hell version of the castle. DMC4 did not do that. It was like playing mirror mode with another character.

There was definitely backtracking in every DMC game. DMC1 a 6 hour game has you backtracking for 2 hours of it. DMC3 was the DMC game with the longest legitimate campaign. DMC2 is basically DMC4 levels bad.

Isn't DMC4 Chapter 12-18 backtracking? In DMC3 I swear had you starting to backtrack around the same point (11/12ish) for like 5 chapters. I think they are honestly kinda comparable.

Nero's boss rush is obnoxious in DMC4 though if you are playing through game straight through (and doesn't even have the best boss, Credo).

Isn't DMC4 Chapter 12-18 backtracking? In DMC3 I swear had you starting to backtrack around the same point (11/12ish) for like 5 chapters. I think they are honestly kinda comparable.

Nero's boss rush is obnoxious in DMC4 though (and doesn't even have the best boss, Credo).

In DMC1 and DMC3, the atmosphere changes, as does the level layout, and enemies. You also fight unique bosses during those segments. In DMC4, it was a literally retread with Dante through Nero's levels.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Nero's boss rush is obnoxious in DMC4 though if you are playing through game straight through (and doesn't even have the best boss, Credo).

Nah, I wouldn't say they're comparable. In DMC3, the layout is completely changed, levels are turned on their side, and there are shortcuts.

Dahbomb

In DMC1 and DMC3, the atmosphere changes, as does the level layout, and enemies. You also fight unique bosses during those segments. In DMC4, it was a literally retread with Dante through Nero's levels.
The atmosphere and layout changes in DMC4 too (fog portals in the jungle area, poison gas area) plus Dante's campaign had 3 extra enemies and a different boss fight. A couple of genuinely new areas too.

Worst parts of DMC4:

4-gyroblade3.jpg

Devil-May-Cry-4-small-489.jpg

(The best cutscene in the game is the one where Dante enters the Dice room and goes lolno)

I'm hoping NT will improve the non combat portions of this series overall. No more fixed cameras please. And hopefully the characters movement speed will be less slow. Seriously, first upgrade I got was speed.

Dahbomb

DMC4 doesn't have a fixed camera and the dice puzzle was awesome once you learned how to rig it.

The Gyro portion is admittedly terribad..

Esura

Banned
Of course, when you find items and or keys and have to head back to close objective, but nothing like what DMC4 did. They literally had you retrace your footsteps all the back to the beginning of the game. At least the other games changed the layout and atmosphere a lot when doing it. Temin-negru (spelling?) expanded and tore apart the levels about halfway through which made some of the earlier places almost unrecognizable, and DMC1 added the nighttime sequence and the hell version of the castle. DMC4 did not do that. It was like playing mirror mode with another character.

I think that's probably why I didn't mind too much. If it was just me retreading through all that as Nero again I probably would of raised an eyebrow but since I was playing with Dante it felt pretty fresh.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DMC4 doesn't have a fixed camera and the dice puzzle was awesome once you learned how to rig it.

The Gyro portion is admittedly terribad..

Dice puzzle should of been known how to rig with'n the 3rd time you rolled the dice if the player has any sense of experimentation

Dahbomb

Dice game was the only way you could fight bosses without having to beat entire levels. I agree there should've been a legitimate boss gauntlet mode (the one in DMC3 was amazing, you can choose your bosses).

Top Bottom