• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

ezekial45

Banned
All games have difficulty running at 60fps. That isn't an engine issue. WB managed to do it for MK and MK v. DC, albeit noticeable compromises. If you personally feel that NT made the right call, you're perfectly entitled, but it was their call.

Let's be fair here. MK vs DC and MK2011 are fighters. Design wise and on a structural level, they're nothing like DMC, which is a full on action game with extended periods of gameplay.

Moreover, those two games were actually both 30FPS AND 60FPS. For MK2011 in particular, the only part of the game running at 60FPS were the fights (what mattered). But everything else had a substantial and noticeable drop in FPS. Just go back and play through MK again. You can see it clearly when playing in the game's story mode and messing around in the menus.

You cannot do something like that for DMC. The only way for them to get DMC at constant 60FPS on UE3, they'd have to strip the environments bare and lower the texture quality.

Did you get confused and think you were making an OT? A demo thread doesn't need to be up this early or be as bloated. But what would I know, it's not like I'm the viral marketer here.

sleepykyo

You cannot do something like that for DMC. The only way for them to get DMC at constant 60FPS on UE3, they'd have to strip the environments bare and lower the texture quality.

This is the second time in a row you've just admitted it was possible.

Or put it differently you're blaming UE3 in which case, which engine out there could have done it? If the answer is none, then we're back at NT's choices made it impossible on current, outdated (happy?) hardware.

If you name an engine, I'm really curious as to what makes you think this engine is somehow that far superior to the current gold standard for middleware.

Even though I personally hate the choice, I don't deny that is a common one. But it is still a choice as opposed to limitation of the engine. Everyone even had this discussion a while back about how NT and Capcom should just own up to choosing to go 30fps.

Did you get confused and think you were making an OT? A demo thread doesn't need to be up this early or be as bloated. But what would I know, it's not like I'm the viral marketer here.

I think he's just passionate...this game's development history has been rather rollercoaster and finally a demo is here...

To be fair, just as many people are excited for this demo for a chance to shit on this game as get hype for it. I'm sure many people who stopped going to DMC threads are eager to see a demo coming out. Also, if Ezekial is too...well, obvious to be a viral marketer. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Dahbomb

I have played my fair share of demos over the past few years or so and I can say that this is probably the most important demo for a game in recent memory. Like make or break status.

ezekial45

Banned

I just like to overcompensate. :p

But really, I felt that the clarity was needed. Considering how hot the discussions about this game can get.

This is the second time in a row you've just admitted it was possible.

Or put it differently you're blaming UE3 in which case, which engine out there could have done it? If the answer is none, then we're back at NT's choices made it impossible on current, outdated (happy?) hardware.

If you name an engine, I'm really curious as to what makes you think this engine is somehow that far superior to the current gold standard for middleware.

Even though I personally hate the choice, I don't deny that is a common one. But it is still a choice as opposed to limitation of the engine. Everyone even had this discussion a while back about how NT and Capcom should just own up to choosing to go 30fps.

I'm not blaming or belittling UE3 for anything. It's very capable engine, and a game like this seems to be a perfect fit engine. It looks smooth and it renders all the details well. I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing so far.

And yes, I do agree that they should own up to 30FPS. All this backtracking and defending is making them look bad.

I'm not blaming or belittling UE3 for anything. It's very capable engine, and a game like this seems to be a perfect fit engine. It looks smooth and it renders all the details well. I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing so far.

It's an overused engine. I personally would have preferred MT Framework.

Dahbomb

Anyone know what engine Dante's Inferno was made on?

I have played that game. Graphically it looked decent, has a lot of stuff going on in the background, has great art and runs at 60FPS (most of the time although it does have occasional slow downs). Too bad mechanically the game was a mess.. it was a lesser God of War at best in terms of combat.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I have played that game. Graphically it looked decent, has a lot of stuff going on in the background, has great art and runs at 60FPS (most of the time although it does have occasional slow downs). Too bad mechanically the game was a mess.. it was a lesser God of War at best in terms of combat.

Pretty sure it was Visceral's own engine.

I thought that Digital Foundry had it at a pretty flawless 60fps (except for the cutscenes) but I suppose they might not have gone through the whole game.

As soon as DmC went to Ninja Theory it was never going to be 60fps on consoles. They aren't technical wizards, the HS engine was made by Sony Cambridge and Enslaved's performance (especially with the frame rate and tearing in the PS3 version) show this too. MT Framework's documentation and tools are in Japanese and I would imagine that Capcom would be pretty protective of it too and unwilling to just share it with just any 3rd party. There doesn't seem to be a middleware for 60fps games and few developers want to pare down their art and design to achieve this. It's irrelevant to me what frame-rate the PC version could run at as it's obviously not going to be same as a game designed around it like the original DMCs.

V_Arnold

I cant wait for this :)

In anticipation, I started Bayonetta again, then I had to realize that my 360 controller's X button is SLIGHTLY worn off (perfectly reading inputs, but showing signs of being just a tiny bit..."loose"), so I decided to wait for DmC and MG:Rising to really wear that button down like there is no tomorrow :p

Dante's Inferno looks like crap.

It's not pretty but I think Visceral did a great job as far as console parity and performance are concerned. Sometimes I wonder how GoW would look if SSM pushed for a solid 60fps since they seem to get the best out of the system.

There's some good criticism to be made of DMC4 but I think it's aged phenomenally well for a game that came out in early 2008 because of the IQ and frame-rate. It's a pity that since them it seems that Capcom have more of a priority on pushing effects at the expense of performance.

Not owning up to choosing 30fps? Every time someone mentions it, they always say the same thing: "we wanted it because of the dynamic environments". How is that not owning up to choosing it? If you're worried about them changing their answer a lot, guess what? That's what happens when you keep asking the same goddamn questions.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Not owning up to choosing 30fps? Every time someone mentions it, they always say the same thing: "we wanted it because of the dynamic environments". How is that not owning up to choosing it? If you're worried about them changing their answer a lot, guess what? That's what happens when you keep asking the same goddamn questions.

60fps is bad for my eyes.

ezekial45

Banned

More so for the fact they're always on the defensive about it. 30FPS is solid and can work very well. At times I feel like they're just caving in to fan pressure, which they shouldn't be. That's all I meant by it.

Dahbomb

That's what they said initially which was acceptable but recently Itsuno said some garbage stuff about 60FPS hurting the eye so that's why they didn't opt for it. It was just a stupid thing to say.

zlatko

Banned
I'm excited to try this. Negative publicity about it aside, I really like the final look of new Dante they landed on.

My bigger issues with what I've seen lay in the environment and enemy design, so hopefully it isn't too dull and repetitive. Really disliked DMC4 and 2, but have big hopes for this one from a pure game play perspective. Story I feel will be fuck awful though.

Reiko

Banned
Yep. God of War II HD looked much better.

Dante_360_017.jpg.jpg

Dante_360_021.jpg.jpg

GoW_1_3_collection.jpg.jpg

GoW_2_2_collection.jpg.jpg

GoW_2_1_collection.jpg.jpg

No it did not. And Dante's Inferno was not a looker.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Those are all awful screenshots if you're trying to prove that either game looks better than the other.

Technically speaking, though, Dante's Inferno HAS to look better because of the assets. As a matter of taste, I think GOW looks better.

Reiko

Banned
Those are all awful screenshots if you're trying to prove that either game looks better than the other.

Technically speaking, though, Dante's Inferno HAS to look better because of the assets. As a matter of taste, I think GOW looks better.

I mean the art direction of DA was just not good, but damn... a PS2 game?

I didn't even have to look at the name of the poster to know who made the OT for the fucking DEMO of DmC a week before release. Does ezekial45 work for NT? I am seriously wondering it.

Yes but the "superfluous background shit" is what they are hoping is going to draw in a bigger audience and give the game its unique look. It's a sacrifice that they consciously made so they have to sell the audience on it.

Do crazy backgrounds really help sales that much? I don't remember it helping El Shaddai....

Honestly without the Devil May Cry name this game looks like it has about the same sales appeal as usual for a Ninja Theory game - that is to say absolutely none.

Gbraga

Nice thread, very excited for the demo. I hope the PS3 version is good, don't feel like waiting god knows how long for the PC version.

Green Yoshi

I played the game for about twenty minutes at the gamescom. Great art design, but I died a few times and there were no consequences. I hope there will be a Game Over screen in the retail version, so it's not too easy.

ironcreed

Banned
This one is certainly going to be a curious case. Looking forward to trying it out. I know I definitely am digging the art.

Does anyone know what the demo will give us all the weapons? No hard lock seems weird. but i am looking forward to trying this.

ezekial45

Banned
I played the game for about twenty minutes at the gamescom. Great art design, but I died a few times and there were no consequences. I hope there will be a Game Over screen in the retail version, so it's not too easy.

Do you mean on the platform sections? Cause the game over screen is still there when you die in combat.

Does anyone know what the demo will give us all the weapons? No hard lock seems weird. but i am looking forward to trying this.

I'm gonna say that the starters are what you get in the demo (Rebellion, Ebony & Ivory, Osiris, and Arbiter).

ezekial45

Banned
I guess the PS3 version will lack some effects to keep the framerate up, you can notice how bad it gets during cutscene, but as soon as the gameplay kicks in it's smooth.

Yeah, that's I saw that. Thankfully the gameplay looks good.

This seem to be the GC/TGS/Eurogamer build. Hopefully it's been fixed in the demo version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRZ8MHDTpGo

Here's some footage of the PS3 version. It's apparently from an older build of the game. Regardless, it runs pretty well.

Also, don't look at the comments. Seriously.

I am looking at them, and they are hilarious. I mean It's one thing to pitch the game, but to say the first is 'alright' and that this one guy doesn't like the letter grade ranking (even though it was introduced in the first game), tells me that it's time to hire some new community guys.

Top Bottom