• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC4 PC Demo now available.

Haunted

The game is much better optimised than Lost Planet. Looks like Capcom is really getting the hang of their Framework engine on the PC. This bodes well for Resi 5. :D

Vegeta said:
How did you get it to run at 1280x1024?

I can't even select that resolution even though my monitor supports it and it can be selected in other games just fine.
It's my desktop resolution and the game actually started up with 1280x1024 selected already >_< I didn't try to change it cause that's the res I always play at anyway, sorry.

Attention people with low resolution monitors!!!

If you run at max 1280 x 1024, turning on MSAA is pointless. There is no difference other than scoring a lower rank at the end of the test. My friend was able to score an S rank at 1280 x 1024 with everything on super high with no MSAA with his 9600GSO (which is actually the same card as mine). There is no discernible difference with AA off.

Also... maybe really stupid question but... how do you play this game? All I see is the benchmark, but I can find an option that'll let me play. Or am I missing another download?

Xdrive05

sevenchaos said:
Was able to get around 60 fps constant through all the tests except the last one where it dipped down to the low 40s. Got Rank B. Still all kinds of awesome though. Looks really nice.

1680x1050 @ max settings (no aa)
Athlon 64 3200+
8800GT 512 factory OC'd to 700mhz
1gb RAM

On a single core? Niiiiice. Now THAT's awesome.

Cow Mengde said:
Attention people with low resolution monitors!!!

If you run at max 1280 x 1024, turning on MSAA is pointless. There is no difference other than scoring a lower rank at the end of the test. My friend was able to score an S rank at 1280 x 1024 with everything on super high with no MSAA with his 9600GSO (which is actually the same card as mine). There is no discernible difference with AA off.

Makes no sense, wouldnt it be the higher res you are running at, the less AA you need?

That's why I said lower resolution monitors. This is for people with a monitor that can ONLY go up to 1280 x 1024. That's as high as you can go and there's absolutely no difference other than getting a lower score with AA on.

sevenchaos said:
Was able to get around 60 fps constant through all the tests except the last one where it dipped down to the low 40s. Got Rank B. Still all kinds of awesome though. Looks really nice.

1680x1050 @ max settings (no aa)
Athlon 64 3200+
8800GT 512 factory OC'd to 700mhz
1gb RAM

Is that just a vanilla Athlon 64? Or X2 dual core? I'm on an OC'ed 4200+ skt 939 system and was thinking of getting the 8800GT. I've been back and forth on upgrading. But I just grabbed a PS3 and DS3 for some upcoming MGS4 action so I probably won't be buying PC bits for a while.

Anyway here's mine with no AA.

25yvz3l.jpg

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Cow Mengde said:
That's why I said lower resolution monitors. This is for people with a monitor that can ONLY go up to 1280 x 1024. That's as high as you can go and there's absolutely no difference other than getting a lower score with AA on.

Pay attention: The HIGHER the resolution, the LESS aa you need.

AA is for resolutions that doesn't have enough pixels to do a proper vertial line. If you have a HUGE ASS resolution, you have enough pixels to make up for the jaggyness.

If you have a lower resolution, you need a filter to make up for the lack of pixels (less detail).

Is your friend using a LCD monitor that only goes up to 1280x1024? I had a REAL hard time telling if AA made any difference on my CRT monitors. On my 24inch LCD tho, it's impossible to play anything with lower than 2x aa.

Filefront link:

http://files.filefront.com/DevilMayCry4+Trialexe/;10504189;/fileinfo.html

I have a pretty sub-standard PC, and I can still get the game at a bit above 60 fps. I had to turn vsync off and a few things, but capcom did a great job of optimizing this game.

First PC game I buy? Quite possibly so.

The Berial boss fight still amazes me so much. It looks a lot better than the console version.

Anyone can take screen-caps who is running this game fully maxed out?

ToastyBanana said:
Is that just a vanilla Athlon 64? Or X2 dual core? I'm on an OC'ed 4200+ skt 939 system and was thinking of getting the 8800GT. I've been back and forth on upgrading. But I just grabbed a PS3 and DS3 for some upcoming MGS4 action so I probably won't be buying PC bits for a while.
It's vanilla. Built my PC about two or three years ago. The only thing I've recently upgraded is the video card. Blows everything away but Crysis. I would like to get everything else up to speed though.

drizzle said:
You have a PC that can run Devil May Cry 4 with an A ranking, but never bought a pc game ever?

Arrrrr...

My brother is the one who will get me the occasional PC game, but I always figured my PC was too ass to bother playing games like Crysis etc., so I never even bothered downloading demos or anything.

We have some really kick ass comps at the computer lab at my med school, I'm going to download this sun-ov-a-bitch on those things later today.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I've got everything on Super High with no vsync or Msaa. Got an S ranking ranging from 100-200 fps. I think if I turn on vsync and 2xmsaa I might drop to an A or B. Playing at 60hz 1280x720. :D

r7lz0w.jpg

I think i'm going to settle for the A or B and play with everything max at 60.

Edit: I turned on MSAA and...:O good god. This is gorgeous.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Narag said:
Oh for fuck's sake. Is this necessary?
My opinions have been dismissed for much less (for instance, on a DS discussion when I mention I have an R4).. so.. yes?

C- Warrior said:
My brother is the one who will get me the occasional PC game, but I always figured my PC was too ass to bother playing games like Crysis etc., so I never even bothered downloading demos or anything.
Not much of a PC gamer then. I don't see where some people get that notion that PC Gaming is hard.

sevenchaos said:
It's vanilla. Built my PC about two or three years ago. The only thing I've recently upgraded is the video card. Blows everything away but Crysis. I would like to get everything else up to speed though.

Nice, looks like I'll be getting one of these eventually then.

Danj

Xdrive05 said:
I want to take out my 8800gt just to give it a nice long hug.

Sooooo much bang for the buck. :D

8800GT cards are even more crazy good value now that the price has gone down some (at least here in the UK). They came out at around £180 and can now be had for £130 or so.

Minsc

Gold Member
Xdrive05 said:
Does RE5 use the same engine?

All their titles for 360/PS3/PC are using the same Framework engine. It seems they can continue to optimize it further as time goes on, so perhaps RE5 for the PC may be even more efficient than this.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

Chairhome

Cow Mengde said:
Also... maybe really stupid question but... how do you play this game? All I see is the benchmark, but I can find an option that'll let me play. Or am I missing another download?

There are 2 files. The Benchmark test and the Demo. Look for the jp link someone put up on the first page and download the Demo to play.

So 1080p and 60FPS RE5 is a very real possibility now? Yeah, Capcom just gave console gaming a major bitch slap here. Long reign the superior gaming platform.

SarBear

brain_stew said:
So 1080p and 60FPS RE5 is a very real possibility now? Yeah, Capcom just gave console gaming a major bitch slap here. Long reign the superior gaming platform.

Please, man. Spare us.

"Devil May Cry PC Demo passed Games for Windows certification. It supports Windows LIVE unlock achievements."

From press release...whatever that means.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
j0cuxd.jpg

yeah um lol had everything on super high

i was planning on upgrading to 8800GTS, wonder how much ill get with that and if i could turn up MSAA for 60 fps @ 720P.

hm...

Danj

The gamepad config window seems to be designed for 360 controllers.. what configuration do I want to pick if I have a dual-stick USB pad with 6 face buttons but only 2 shoulder buttons? (it's a Saitek P2500 Rumble, if that makes any difference).

aznpxdd

Impressive demo. Looks much better than Lost Planet and runs better too. Everything was smooth on my end, ran it 1280x1024 with 4xMSAA and everything on super high.

Danj said:
The gamepad config window seems to be designed for 360 controllers.. what configuration do I want to pick if I have a dual-stick USB pad with 6 face buttons but only 2 shoulder buttons? (it's a Saitek P2500 Rumble, if that makes any difference).

You basically want the higher most face button to be melee. The most right oriented face button to be the hand attack (buster, blue thing)

The left face button to be shoot, and the botton face button to be jump.

You want one of the left shoulder to be "rev" and most importantly one of the right shoulder buttons to be target lock/attack modifier.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
6_dmc4_1.jpg

All settings maxed (very high, stuff), vsync is off (wouldn't go past 60 fps with it, obviously) and 2x MSAA. 1920x1200

Edit: CPU is a QX6700

GHG

Gold Member
Xdrive05 said:
I'd also like to know how an 8600GTS runs this demo if anyone here gives it a shot.

With 2xAA and everything maxed:

dmc4_bench461.jpg

Can easily get a B or A rank if I dropped the AA and set everything to just 'high'.

BTW, maxed out this looks noticably better than the 360 version.

Danj

Here's mine:
288z4he.png

E6600 2.4GHz
2.75Gb DDR2-667 RAM (4Gb physical but only 2.75Gb seen in Windows)
8800GT 512Mb

drizzle

Axel Hertz
IO didn't manage to get a ScreenCap of the DX10 test i made, but i didn't notice any massive FPS drops. I got the same score and pretty much the same FPS curve at the end (with different valleys and peaks here and there).

Funny how the OP machine is pretty much the same as mine, but gets double the speed (with only a difference in resolution, 1920x1080 vs 1920x1200).

What is wrong with my computer?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Hot damn, I am rusty. It took a second to get use to the keyboard controls, but, Bariel hit me like twice. >.< (destroyed him fast as hell, otherwise) Other than that, its not nearly as hard to play with the keyboard as I thought it was going to be heh.

Yea, looks a bit better than the 360 version. If I wasn't so lazy and didn't have to leave soon, I would make a comparison video.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I cant take a damn screenshot. The thing will be black. Weird.

Anyways, for some reason wheter I put variable framerate or not, mine just stays at 60.9 or so. I have tried turning 4xAA and everything DX10 superhigh, but it will stay at that framerate and thus I will only get a "B".

Top Bottom