• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC4: PS3 Vs. Xbox 360 Comparison Vid

Dire said:
I sure am glad they utilized the HDD. Now maybe console games can start performing more like PC games which instantly load everything just because there's an HDD. Awesome!

RLY? Why not just buy a PC then?

I want a console to be a console myself, I dont mind caching to speed up load times but having to install games and manage HD space every time I buy a game is not something I want to deal with on my console personally. I've yet to play a game on my 360 where the loading has interfered with my enjoyment of the game (touch wood).

I'm more looking forward to seeing the NPD split for this game, for me the Split will tell me if my theory that Hardcore gamers have migrated to the 360.

Games like COD4 and AC (due to its mainstream advertising) have sold in similar percentages to their respective userbases in part because they appeal to a more casual audience but I suspect this game will be weighted more heavily in favour of the 360 due to it being more of a hardcore game.

Yoboman

mr_bishiuk said:
I'm more looking forward to seeing the NPD split for this game, for me the Split will tell me if my theory that Hardcore gamers have migrated to the 360.

Games like COD4 and AC (due to its mainstream advertising) have sold in similar percentages to their respective userbases in part because they appeal to a more casual audience but I suspect this game will be weighted more heavily in favour of the 360 due to it being more of a hardcore game.
360 has a larger userbase, especially in the US :\

sinnergy

Wollan said:
Can the X360 version be installed if you have a (large enough) HDD?

Probably not, even if you have a Elite. MS has a policy against this (you know this Wollan ;) )

Anyway no one has played either version, maybe the X360 version is about as fast streaming from DVD as the PS3 version.

Snah

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:

lol? what?

I expect DMC4 will sell in line with the usual hardware split, and have a slight PS3 boost due to the title being a "traditional" playstation franchise.

CoD4/AC are no less 'hardcore' than DMC.

Xater

I don't see any differences. I will let the load times stuff decide which version to although I kinda like achievements.

Snah said:
lol? what?

I expect DMC4 will sell in line with the usual hardware split, and have a slight PS3 boost due to the title being a "traditional" playstation franchise.

CoD4/AC are no less 'hardcore' than DMC.

We shall see, thats my theory and I stand by it!!

watership said:
You hate it? I can understand for a FPS, but for DMC it's perfect.

IMO The PS3 controllers are horrible for any type of game especially FPS and Action games.

Barnolde said:
Good luck playing DMC with the 360's triggers.

I've had NO PROBLEM whatsoever playing DMC3 on the PC with a 360 controller. SO 360 version for me.

Yoboman

mr_bishiuk said:
My post did take account of that "similar percentages to userbase"
Well if Anihawk's anecdotal pre-order posts are anything to go by, the percentage should definitely favour PS3

And I'd say even moreso if we go World Wide

beerbelly said:
No difference.

72rj8nb.png

Although it looks like the 360 version has a tad bit higher contrast (not judged by this pic).

The button on Dente's jacket has more polygons on the triple!!!
round buttons >>>>>>> octagon buttons. :Bow

Wollan

sinnergy said:
Probably not, even if you have a Elite. MS has a policy against this (you know this Wollan ;) )
I'm being totally honest here, I did not know this. I just assumed no one bothered so far (for the games I know about) due to smaller percentages.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
sinnergy said:
Anyway no one has played either version, maybe the X360 version is about as fast streaming from DVD as the PS3 version.
Capcom already stated in an interview that the PS3-version will be the only version without loading times, thanks to the HDD install.

The funny thing about having to install the game on the HD on the PS3 is that if a 360 game came out on two DVDs and one DVD had to be installed on the HD. The people saying how important it is to them that the game can be installed on the HD for this game would be then screaming about the necessity of blu ray!

Yoboman said:
Well if Anihawk's anecdotal pre-order posts are anything to go by, the percentage should definitely favour PS3

And I'd say even moreso if we go World Wide

Yer obviously, my theory is based on whats happening in the US. 360 owners have had a lot on their plates to worry about Preordering DMC4 but after the holiday I anticipate it being the next big game on it.

Xater

neorej said:
Capcom already stated in an interview that the PS3-version will be the only version without loading times, thanks to the HDD install.

Well then it's settled PS3 version for me.

Yoboman

mr_bishiuk said:
The funny thing about having to install the game on the HD on the PS3 is that if a 360 game came out on two DVDs and one DVD had to be installed on the HD. The people saying how important it is to them that the game can be installed on the HD for this game would be then screaming about the necessity of blu ray!
Fucking fantastic reasoning right here

mr_bishiuk said:
Yer obviously, my theory is based on whats happening in the US. 360 owners have had a lot on their plates to worry about Preordering DMC4 but after the holiday I anticipate it being the next big game on it.

So do PS3 owners

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I see a slightly bit more contrast and detail in the 360 version, but really, this is the best multi-platform work done so far - barring any unforseen delays, it'll be day and date together on both consoles and look practically indentical...

Good job Capcom - you guys really are kicking ass this gen...

About the controllers, it's all about preference - why argue that? I can't stand FPS's on the Dual Shock, but there are obviously people that can play with it - what'll be the difference here?

Yoboman

mr_bishiuk said:
Thanks! I assume you are not being sarcastic!

I bet you the average 360 owner has bought 2 or 3 more games in the last 3 months than the average PS3 owner.
Of the same demographic buying DMC4? I doubt it. They've had the same games in the last three months aside from Uncharted, Mass Effect, Ratchet and Clank and UT3

Wollan

In reality (in retrorespect) the perfect system for this gen when it comes to profability/cost and performance would be a console where every game came on dvd's and every game was fully installed on a 200GB (exchangable) HDD that came with every system. That combined with a Steam like service from which you could buy (pre-load) every game online as well.

ram said:
ps3 version supports the HDD -> should result in faster loading times.

Impressive....You must be the brains of the family?!

Wollan said:
In reality (in retrorespect) the perfect system for this gen when it comes to profability/cost and performance would be a console where every game came on dvd's and every game was fully installed on a 300GB (exchangable) HDD that came with every system. That combined with a Steam like service from which you could buy (pre-load) every game online as well.

Wow a comprimise solution, everyone has something to take away!!

Close the thread quick!

Onions

so capcom did not screw up the 360 version :D

ng2 and dmc4 on one platform = onslought of hack n slay juggernauts.

Yoboman said:
Of the same demographic buying DMC4? I doubt it. They've had the same games in the last three months aside from Uncharted, Mass Effect, Ratchet and Clank and UT3

But no one bought R&C and Uncharted I hope DMC4 does better first month sale sthan those games even though it does not come out in a holiday month. If the PS3 had more of a hardcore userbase i'm sure those games would have done a lot better.

I'm not saying that the PS3 does not have hardcore users just that proportionaltly there are more in the 360 userbase, I feel this may show itself with this game when the NPD's are released.

Yoboman

mr_bishiuk said:
But no one bought R&C and Uncharted, if the PS3 had more of a hardcore userbase i'm sure those games would have done a lot better.

I'm not saying that the PS3 does not have hardcore users just that proportionaltly there are more in the 360 userbase, I feel this may show itself with this game when the NPD's are released.
They've sold a few hundred k each, that is certainly "someone" not "no one"

Monmin

neorej said:
Without loading times???

Even if it is installed on hdd it still must load. It will load faster, but load it will. I imagine there must be an initial load time on either version, just to move the data to memory. PC games still require loading no?

After the initial load, additional data can be streamed from the disc or hdd.

For instance Assasins Creed. You initially wait for the game to fill up the 512mb of memory, although clearly the entire city requires more than 512mb of memory, however once you enter the city you don't notice any additional load times. Thats because it streams the data from disc before you enter the next region of the city.

I don't think DMC is an open world like AC is, so the streaming should be even easier to accomplish (you would know further in advance what data will need to be streamed in).

But to say there is no load time at all just because of the hard drive doesn't make sense.

I will wait to get more information before coming to a conclusion one way or the other.

FFChris

Wollan said:
Can the X360 version be installed if you have a (large enough) HDD?

No chance, MS won't let you do that.

I think you've also pointed out what the big difference could be between these games. With the PS3 you can install the game, giving no load times, we don't really know about the load times in the 360 version yet.

I don't see how the controller is a positive for the PS3 though, the 360 controller is much better. In my opinion anyway.

In the end, I'm just happy that both games look utterly fantastic.

Yoboman

Monmin said:
Without loading times???

Even if it is installed on hdd it still must load. It will load faster, but load it will. I imagine there must be an initial load time on either version, just to move the data to memory. PC games still require loading no?

For instance Assasins Creed. You initially wait for the game to fill up the 512mb of memory, although clearly the entire city requires more than 512mb of memory, however once you enter the city you don't notice any additional load times. Thats because it streams the data from disc before you enter the next region of the city.

I don't think DMC is an open world like AC is, so the streaming should be even easier to accomplish (you would now further in advance what data will need to be streamed in).

But to say there is no load time at all just because of the hard drive doesn't make sense.

I will wait to get more information before coming to a conclusion one way or the other.
Loading or not, it's been described as instantaneous by those who've played the PS3 version with it installed

Yoboman said:
They've sold a few hundred k each, that is certainly "someone" not "no one"

Ok you know what I mean, they have sold a couple of hundred thousand units, those titles shouldn't have majorily impacted on the ability of other PS3 game to sell well as they have simply haven't sold that many.

sinnergy

Yoboman said:
Loading or not, it's been described as instantaneous by those who've played the PS3 version with it installed

The PS3 version has also been described to be better looking (1up) :lol Sorry doesn't mean jack shit. Ill just wait till I have both demo's PS3/X360.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Monmin said:
Without loading times???

I don't think DMC is an open world like AC is, so the streaming should be even easier to accomplish (you would know further in advance what data will need to be streamed in).

You haven't played Uncharted, have you?

Yoboman

mr_bishiuk said:
Ok you know what I mean, they have sold a couple of hundred thousand units, those titles shouldn't have majorily impacted on the ability of other PS3 game to sell well as they have simply haven't sold that many.
Actually I would say it's the abundance of games on PS3 right now that has them not doing as well as they should. AC and COD4 definitely stole some of their thunder

Yoboman

sinnergy said:
The PS3 version has also been described to be better looking (1up) :lol Sorry doesn't mean jack shit. Ill just wait till I have both demo's PS3/X360.
They said it has the difference was subtle, but the 360 version had tearing and a slightly lower framerate, and judging by the videos I'm seeing - they are completely right. Still, it's not a big difference

Yoboman said:
Actually I would say it's the abundance of games on PS3 right now that has them not doing as well as they should. AC and COD4 definitely stole some of their thunder

Agreed but those titles did not effect the ability of 360 owners to buy other games quite as much and I put that down to 360 owners generally being more hardcore. Thats my theory anyway.

Monmin

Yoboman said:
Well I've never played a game that loads instantaneously, so excuse me if I don't jump on this hype train quite so fast.

Vibration and Achievements. 360 for me.

All in all, when the game comes out, big chance the 360 version will have the edge anyway... PS3 Lost Planet looked a bit iffy. I don't have uber confidence in the engine on PS3 atm.

Top Bottom