• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do all Xbox controllers have this annoying stick drift?

Boss Man

I'm on my second wireless 360 controller (for PC, not that it matters I'd guess) and I'm wondering if I'm fighting a winnable battle with trying to luck out on one that works properly.

This is the best example I can give in photo form:
QpG9WBu.jpg

That is a brand new controller, just took it out of the box. Everyone seems to recommend the 360 controller without second thought, am I just unlucky? If not, is there another good wireless controller for PC?

L Thammy

Just to make sure, when you say "stick drift", you mean how it doesn't quite return to a neutral position? I had that problem on a brand new 360 controller, but it only seems to have an effect when I play older games using JoyToKey. In that case, I just increase the input threshold.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm going to level with you, if you want an Analog Stick that has no drift, you are going to need a Gamecube Controller and an adapter for it. When I tested a bunch of console controllers a while back, everything else had some drift (Though I think the 360 controller was really the worst)

No joke. Literally every single 360 controller I've ever had has had this problem. It's never been an issue with any other system.

360 controllers may be ergonomically amazing, but they're built like shit.

FairFight

Banned
They're out there. I went through 4 before I got one that didn't have drift on the left stick. Used to drive me nuts.

Mine is fine but I only got the XB1 controller in June when the PC drivers came out and mainly use it for its great D-pad for fighting games.

I have used it a bit for replaying Dark Souls 1. It's fine for me but it very well could be I haven't broken the sticks in yet.

Boss Man

Just to make sure, when you say "stick drift", you mean how it doesn't quite return to a neutral position? I had that problem on a brand new 360 controller, but it only seems to have an effect when I play older games using JoyToKey. In that case, I just increase the input threshold.

Yes that's what's going on. It wants to rest in a position that is not in the center.
Usually it's the left sticks that end up drifting.

Does the drift show up in game?
Yes, playing Dragon Age my old one would randomly spin the camera. I sent it back and got one that's worse.

They're out there. I went through 4 before I got one that didn't have drift on the left stick. Used to drive me nuts.
Guess I'll just keep trying.

Fisty

I grabbed a new DS3 on black friday because of stick drift. Controller was about 4 years old though, started noticing the creep last year in Deadly Premonition, now you cant even play FPS games with it.

Id say keep trying, theres no way every 360 pad has stick drift

I can't play Ikaruga on 360 because all of my controllers do this and its hard to sit still when my controller keeps trying to push me forward.

My Titanfall XB1 controller starts to do this too and I use it the least. I have to use it when playing 4 player MCC or else the menus will be unusable because nobody else realizes why it keeps going up lol

Duxxy3

If you're thinking about getting another controller, perhaps consider the Xbox One controller maybe? I haven't heard of drift being an issue on it yet. Only problem is that it isn't wireless on PC.

That or a dualshock 4. Dualshock 4 is more difficult to set up and doesn't have the right button prompts though.

I thought this was a normal thing with controllers?

After extended use of course.

If you're unlucky you'll find it within a couple months of playing on a wireless 360 controller. It's a damn shame too, because it's the only real problem on what would be a near-perfect controller.

I can't play Ikaruga on 360 because all of my controllers do this and its hard to sit still when my controller keeps trying to push me forward.

My Titanfall XB1 controller starts to do this too and I use it the least. I have to use it when playing 4 player MCC or else the menus will be unusable because nobody else realizes why it keeps going up lol

If you're thinking about getting another controller, perhaps consider the Xbox One controller maybe? I haven't heard of drift being an issue on it yet. Only problem is that it isn't wireless on PC.

Mine has done it on my Titanfall controller way sooner than any 360 controller. It really sucks. I was hoping these controllers wouldn't have these issues. I do travel with my XB1 and have no real way to carry it around so the controllers are kinda thrown into my backpack with my console, and it could've gotten messed up that way.

That being said, I'm not 100% sure, it might just be the way MS makes their sticks.

Wizman23

Banned
Most of my 360 controllers had this problem. Some worse then others making games unplayable. My 2 Xbox One controllers work flawless though

Apex_Predator

Neo Member
Yes, all xbox controllers have had it since the original. Usually, a game masks it and in some cases like TitanFall, you have the option to turn it off.

L Thammy

Huh... never had this issue so bad that it did something in-game, and I've had 6 360 controllers.

I've have a controller that has had this effect right out of the box. I think most games compensate for this, so it isn't noticed by the player.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This could be fixed so easily if Microsoft would just put a goddamn deadzone adjustment in the device control panel.

It drives me crazy that they don't.

Unicorn

so the xbone controller is 40$ with free shipping from eBay, Amazon, and Best Buy. Is that the lowest price? How is the controller overall? I also have three xbox 360 controllers that have drifting problems.

Anion

so the xbone controller is 40$ with free shipping from eBay, Amazon, and Best Buy. Is that the lowest price? How is the controller overall? I also have three xbox 360 controllers that have drifting problems.

I got the "PC" version of it which came with a 9 foot mini usb. Its actually really nice. The sticks are a bit looser, but nothing insane. The build quality is pretty good. There are no screw holes in it. Some people have gripes with the bumpers, but I havent had any major issues.

I also suspect that they did a redesign cause my launch day one controllers' bumpers were harder to press in the "inside" area, but the new one I got is pretty easy...

You kidding? This has been a thing since the original Xbox controller.
My Xbox one stick doesn't always go back to centre either. Luckily it's so minor it doesn't affect anything in game.

Unicorn

You kidding? This has been a thing since the original Xbox controller.
My Xbox one stick doesn't always go back to centre either. Luckily it's so minor it doesn't affect anything in game.

My right analog on a 360 controller for PC drifts so badly I had to stop playing Dark Souls because the camera would constantly try to drift above my character. I was fighting the controller more than enemies in the game. Tried things to adjust the deadzone, but nothing ever worked for me.

LiK

360 controllers will eventually get that over time. The newer ones that were made with the new d-pads weren't as prevalent with this issue.

Unicorn

Just ordered a 99 cent 6 foot cable from Monoprice and the $40 xbone controller from Amazon.

Let's see how this goes.

Also, for those that use Smile.Amazon how much do they donate to the chosen charity? Is it a percentage of the sale or a flat rate?

rjc571

Banned
I tried three different brand new 360 controllers when I bought my PC and all three of them had it out of the box.

Now that I think about it, I did notice some stick drift, but only in one game out of the dozens that I've played, BioShock. I suppose some of them are more sensitive than most.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, mine has stick drift. I'm pretty sure it also has it on the left trigger. I was playing Isaac and had it mapped to "Drop" and the game would constantly drop any picked up pill 2 seconds after picking it up. Once I unmapped it it was working again. I'm afraid to map it to anything else.

Problem is I'm on OS X and the driver doesn't have any way to set a dead zone. Thing is it doesn't register or show up in the testing screen of the Preferences pane as being offset. But the stick is noticeable as not becoming centered again.

GavinGT

Banned
They do occasionally drift right out of the box. More often, it develops over time.

Both can be fixed with an electrical shunt, but I'm sure that's not the answer you're looking for.

Yup, this is a major issue with the 360 controllers. Most have it right out of the box. It sucks that the Xbox One controller isn't an option for you, because it is way better.

Ursiform

Banned
There's an Indie game on the store that can check it. Slowturn Checker iirc. I've only had the problem with one stick on a 360 pad but it made Dark Souls unplayable. Some games have less generous dead zones than others.

I got two bone controllers in early April iirc, haven't had any issue with them despite moderate to heavy use.

It's going to happen eventually to any controller as the elasticity changes.

Duxxy3

There's an Indie game on the store that can check it. Slowturn Checker iirc. I've only had the problem with one stick on a 360 pad but it made Dark Souls unplayable. Some games have less generous dead zones than others.

I got two bone controllers in early April iirc, haven't had any issue with them despite moderate to heavy use.

It's going to happen eventually to any controller as the elasticity changes.

Dark souls hard mode is to finish blight town (coming from upper) with severe stick drift.

In my experience the left stick has always ended up having a drift after a while. It just stays slightly stuck in a position so if a game has a small dead zone it causes problems.

Lemonte

360 controllers last for me about 6months before they are useless in Trackmania. Right stick becomes too loose.

Elixist

im used to it, it doesnt bother me at all for some reason and i just nudge it a tiny bit. never had drift with my ds3 and thats actually a legit pc controller. the xbone sticks are loose and kinda crap imo, playin halo mcc felt weird and try to play gta free aim with it and u can see how bad the aim with it really is. i'd love to use a 360 controller on the bone.

Everyone seems to recommend the 360 controller without second thought, am I just unlucky? If not, is there another good wireless controller for PC?

No, build quality of the sticks always sucked. Dead zones only get worse after a few months of usage. I always asked myself if people simply didn't care or are fine with buying new controllers two times a year.

I've had it on every single one of my sticks. Thankfully, most PC games I played recently have some sort of drift guard built-in.

No joke. Literally every single 360 controller I've ever had has had this problem. It's never been an issue with any other system.

360 controllers may be ergonomically amazing, but they're built like shit.

Same here. I had 4 (maybe 5) 360 controllers over the course of the generation and they all had this issue.

My packed in black controller for my 360 slim was rather good, my expensive limited edition chrome controller had some bad left stick drift but I put up with it like a fool.

Genio88

I've got this problem with my first Xbox 360 controller from 2006, and now i had it again with my Xbox One day one controller after less than a year, microsoft changed me that pad pretty quickly, i hope it won't happen again soon

Top Bottom