• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do gamers actually like helpless women?

JordanN

Banned
Is there really a market for this trope?

It might be my own bias but I've never had any interest in liking female characters portrayed as weak and don't fight back. When I play games like Mario, I pay little attention that Peach is suppose to be my "reward" at the end of the game. I actually find it annoying when she screams "help" going from world to world.

Same goes for Zelda. I actually prefer when in Wind Waker she
helps you take down Gannondorf using the light arrows

I don't "like it" but I do think media has gotten so far away from damsel in distress situations that it would be actually refreshing if someone brought it back. To me this modern trend of badass dudes like Batman and Iron Man getting rescued by their girlfriends is just as bad as the old sterotype if not worse.

Canon

Banned
No. I don't care. Nobody thinks about the plot when playing Mario, it could easily be an actual peach that was stolen from Mario and he's pissed off killing turtles about THAT.

Whoever says no has never played ico, the blind girl makes for the most endearing companion in any videogame, ever.

Strong female chars are just as cool though, doesn't really matter which way as long as it's done well (see Ico vs bayonetta)

When it's done wrong it's shitty though, the lame woman that follows you around like a dog in bioshock infinite is a poor attempt, such a cynical and manipulative design.

The only thing I dislike more than the helpless women in some games, is the games that try to turn women into men with boobs. That is to say women who are portrayed to be "just like the doodz"... It's unimaginative, lazy, and is just the developers way of trying to skirt controversy instead of making an indepth and enjoyable female character.

For a good (probably the best) example, see Alyx Vance from Half Life 2.

Games are really bad at finding a middle ground.

ogmaster

Banned
Nope. The "trope" was a way to create a storyline with some tension with the most minimal amount of effort since arcades games had very little room for storyline. Once stories became more of a focus and had the means to convey a fair amount of plot, we saw less "saving the princess" and more "you were destined to save the world" plots since the idea of a random kid was destined to become a hero and save the universe was far more attractive to young men.

Something about generalizing gamers etc.

For Mario, it doesn't really matter because that's just a rather thin excuse for Mario to go on an adventure. For anything else with a heavier story emphasis, tropes are good when they're applied well like with any trope in existence.

s_mirage

I really don't care, they're a plot device and that is all. It's not even that common a stereotype these days.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'll always fight for a just cause, whether it be a cat stuck in a tree, or someone in distress.
However, I don't have an inferiority complex where I need to actively seek-out someone weaker than myself, and then comfort them by saying they are the lone survivor of what used to be their village.

Makes for a cliché premise.

Depends on how its done. If its a necessary part of the plot and its legitimately believable and not shoved in with a stereotypical demeanor like Princess Peach, then yeah its fine with me.

Two words:

Ashley Graham.

or

"LEON HEEELLLPPP!!!"

In other words, no.

Alyx in HL2, in comparison, is a much better companion. But perhaps this specific complaint is more against worthless partners rather than helpless women. Or maybe a bit of both.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I love exercising my privilege to help helpless women. We need more of them in video games.

(I don't really care. If it's a serious game and they're hammering on just how helpless a lady is, it's stupid. If it's a joke or a tongue in cheek game it's whatever, I don't think anyone really cares about these kind of games using the trope.)

Er...sometimes? I don't want my characters to be homogeneous if that's what you're asking. That applies to princesses in peril and toughgirl tomboys both.

Riposte

I dislike it when I can see through the author trying to manipulate certain emotions out of me, which is easier to do when they rely on a (potential) love interest being captured and even easier when it when they have to reduce the competency of a character to accomplish it. Whether I'm offended enough by it to care even a little bit is entirely situational.

However, I think I further dislike the idea of thinking through tropes (brain poison) and phrasing this question like you did.

Roto13

No. I don't care. Nobody thinks about the plot when playing Mario, it could easily be an actual peach that was stolen from Mario and he's pissed off killing turtles about THAT.

Someone mod all of the Mario games so that Bowser has stolen Mario's sack of peaches.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I have'nt played a game with "Weak" women in a looooooong time

i dunno why this topic is getting so much attention now particularly. I think there's been a big change in that aspect.

Someone mod all of the Mario games so that Bowser has stolen Mario's sack of peaches.

Kirby's Squeak Squad is essentially exactly that story. The mouse gang stole Kirby's strawberry cake, so he goes on a rampage and fucks everybody up. He even goes to Dedede's Castle and beats the shit out of him just because he's used to beating Dedede.

KingFire

Banned
This thread is going places...

I personally don't give a fuck if the girl is helpless or not. The more important part for me is whether the character is well written and is making sense in the game world. Whether she is a helpless lady who needs protection or a wonder woman who kicks ass is irrelevant to me.
In the real world, we got helpless women and we got women who can take charge and do what needs to be done. I don't see why it should be different in video games.

I still remember the whole Tomb Raider thingy. People were going ape shit over how the character was written because it is "sexist." My view is that the character sucked because it didn't make sense. One moment you are a killing machine and another moment you seem so weak and helpless. It was not well done in that game.

I believe mature themes should be discussed in video games. Themes like love, rape, sex with minors, sex with animals, drugs, religions, politics, and yes, women. I am sure some games touched on these themes, but it is usually very superficial and predictable. Not interesting at all.

I am personally tired of the Killzone's and the COD's. I am an adult gamer and I want games that surprise me and make me think about the characters, their motives, and their looks on the world. It is really sad because with all the technology we have, game developers choose to make Micheal Bay's farts instead of Stanley Kubrick's masterpieces. We as gamers are responsible because we buy the farts and leave out the art.

Top Bottom