• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do gamers actually like helpless women?

Eusis

It's a pretty broad question, but companies do still have weak female characters in their games, so either we're buying it up, or we have no interest in it, which doesn't seem to be the case.
To some degree it may be rigidly sticking to tradition, which is why I think it sticks out the worst in Nintendo's games: works for a few games and every now and again, but does Mario and Zelda really need to revolve around this? Even earlier on in the series they dumped that for other plots, so no, apparently not.

Doesn't change the fact.

It's an easy 'reason' for an 'adventure'. What people fail to realize is that an 'adventure' doesn't need 'reason' to exist if it is good enough. It can definitely help, but a good 'adventure' can stand alone- as proven with truley timeless classics of all manner of media through the test of time.
What a piece of trash that Iliad is.

I love the "they're just video games" excuse. Maybe I am off here, but it seems really hypocritical to be a member of a video game message board and then try and act like what goes into video games aren't important to them. If people really didn't care, why would they post this issue in the first place? And why would somebody who disagreed feel the need to post something at all? It feels like people are just trying to silence a conversation at some point.

Oh, and the whole "it's just fiction, it doesn't matter!" is just bullshit. Acting like fiction doesn't derive from a real place, and doesn't reflect on the society that helped create it comes off as just being in denial.

Anyway, helpless women in video games is up there with QTEs as things that only endure because devs are too lazy, don't care enough, or don't know how to change it for the better.

And why would somebody who disagreed feel the need to post something at all? It feels like people are just trying to silence a conversation at some point.

To give input? After all that's what a discussion is for. It seems like you're trying to silence it.

Anyway, helpless women in video games is up there with QTEs as things that only endure because devs are too lazy, don't care enough, or don't know how to change it for the better.

I can't really disagree but what's your solution to it? Make all men helpless instead? That be equally stupid. Insert a helpless man for every helpless female character?

At this point I find this topic to be blown out of proportion and that's why I asked what a bizarre question this is. Gaming is not there to change social phenomena and behaviours, and it certainly doesn't influence people as much as some make it up to (the whole gun / killing discussion the past few years).

SmokyDave

I don't mind if they're helpless or not, but if I'm going to great lengths to 'save' someone, they'd sure as shit better have magnificent boobs.

NinjaBoiX

When I play games like Mario, I pay little attention that Peach is suppose to be my "reward" at the end of the game.
Erm, what?

I don't think that's the idea, I've saved Peach, so I "get her" as a reward. You're just a friendly plumber, helping a damsel in distress.

Also, I think you're reading way too much into this.

Erm, what?

I don't think that's the idea, I've saved Peach, so I "get her" as a reward. You're just a friendly plumber, helping a damsel in distress.

Also, I think you're reading way too much into this.

I don't get that either.

Saving the princess is no different than saving the president.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Let's see some of the female characters i like:
Amazon_psd_jpgcopy.jpg
1445692-liara_super.jpg

tumblr_md5d4f54uS1qd9o7so1_500.jpg
mila-doa5-5.jpg
(i would not call marie helpless :p )
Nah, i don't care.

Ikael

We also need stronger presidents that do not get kidnapped by ninjas all the time. It is yet another shameful trope that has perpetuated old steretoypes and has dire real world consequences, as a generation of weakling presidents adopts these shameful patriarchal values spouted by our media that perpetuates the (obviously invisible) ninja privilege.
Is there a vacant writting post on Kotaku yet?

Can you save a not helpless person?
Isn't it basicaly the point of saving a person?

-

Ico is an interesting example because it makes normally more sense to run away with Yorda to the end of the room/level than fighting the shadows with your stick.

Ico is the active person but weak and Yorda is passive but strong.

Sothpaw

Some women are helpless irl and some fly helicopters in the marines.

Some women are princess peach in games and some are Laura Croft.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Eh... I'm more bothered by useless people rather than helpless people. If I am going to pick a concern about inclusion/disinclusion, I'd like having a lot more options for including other ethnicities in games beyond "thug", "kung fu guy", or "terrorist", but that's another thread.

My real pet peeves are amnesia, post-prologue depowering, and cutscene power/incompetence.

Top Bottom