• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do games make you feel motion sickness?

Hostile_18

Banned
Only game for me was Kane and Lynch 2. Luckily there was a setting that took off the handheld camera bob... good god it was bad.

rhoq

This is why I can't play first person shooters. I get nauseous after 15 or 20 minutes. I'm fine with third person (though if the camera is a mess I will sometimes get a disoriented feeling that passes pretty quickly).

Motion sickness happens due to two things:

1. An FoV that doesn't give your eyes what your brain is expecting to see. Play a console shooter up close on a desktop monitor and it's like trying to walk down a street with binoculars strapped to your head. You'll puke before you know it.

2. A camera which, during character movement, the focus-point deviates from the same spot infinitely far away. A lot of devs will try to make cameras look "cinematic" by programming them to seem as if they're being carried by some klutz who can't keep it focused on anything. Developers: please stop this. It's awful. Feel free to make the camera shake around as much as you want as long as the screen's middle-pixel stays locked on the same point infinitely far away. In other words, make that infinitely far-away pixel the pivot point on which the camera rotates. If the virtual camera rotates on a pivot point located inside the virtual camera, you're going to make people puke.

Thank you for these explanations. I experienced #1 many years ago while playing Golden Eye up close on a monitor. More recently I experienced #2 with Bioshock Infinite with all the cinematic fluff going on. Needed fresh air and a nap to clear out the queasiness from playing a session. Cold ginger ale helped too.

Amey

You can reduce Tomb Raider's camera movement in options. Didn't get motion sickness from it but it was a very annoying effect.

Drake

Mario Galaxy did this to me big time and it's the only game to ever do this to me. It's a shame because I really enjoyed what I played.

DonF

the only game that has ever had an effect on me is guitar hero. I don't play the series, but once I played for like 20 minutes in a friend's house, and when I finished playing, I felt like the constant movement of the keys was still there, I felt like everything was moving, imitating the game...It lasted for like a minute, I felt dizzy but it was just weird.

Wizeguy21

Happens to me with FPS.. last game was the new resident evil game... But its happened to me before with Call of Duty... I can build up my tolerance tho. I just have to keep playing and ill eventually beat it!

The trigger for me is a wide camera angle.

Ether One made me sick because of this, as well as many other walking simulators using wide angle to let you explore around you. And Mirror's Edge was the worst experience for me.

First time I experienced this was with Mario 64 when flying with the cap, because of the fast rotations of camera and the wide view.

As for VR, I can only cope with games where you are sitting/fixed point of view, like Statik, the Danganronpa VR demo or RE "Kitchen" demo. But speaking about RE and VR, I felt sick the first time I walked in Resident Evil VII (VR) and with the firsy turn driving in DirtRally VR. Sick for the rest of the day !

Shame because I really wanted a PSVR... But my brain says no.

gschmidl

Like you wouldn't believe. All first person games do; worst of all were the fisheye-lens style adventure games that existed for a while, which made me so ill I had to go lie down.

Other than that, mostly no, except Ubisoft Reflection's Ode due to its camerawork.

HBP

Yes plently

Examples:

Halo(s) on the OG Xbox when not on an HDTV

Halo ODST (Halo 3 was fine somehow)

The 3DSXL in general (changed it for a regular New 3DS no issues)

The new Doom was really bad.

I think it just has to do with the speed of the game and the resolution for me, not sure though.

No way am I trying VR, I am sure it won't work for me very well.

Sleepydays

Banned
The one and only time this has happened to me was with Titanfall 2 on PS4. Played it for half an hour and was so, so nauseous from it.

It varied with me... I first found out about it in the mid-late 90s thanks to the WCW games and DooM on the playstation. Doom was a funny one.... played it for months previously and was fine, played a system link up session that had sun glare thanks to tv position and it hit me (did enough to the point that I had motion sickness every time I'd play it in the future regardless of room lighting).

Then I realized I had the same feeling with a few games on the NES (Ren and Stimpy) and Mega Drive (Fatal Fury series).

Other games of note...

K1 Arena Fighters psx
Smackdown Just Bring It on ps2
TimeShift on 360

Woltaire

Neo Member
Dying Light. I really wanted to play it, but for some odd reason it gave me a headache even after turning off motion blur and chromatic aberration.

Breakage

Some FPS games certainly do.
N64 shooters, Half-Life 1 and 2, and the original Medal of Honour on PS1 to name a few.

Halo on the original Xbox was the first FPS I could play without feeling sick.

Top Bottom