• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do not upgrade to Windows 10 (yet) if you are using DualShock 4

Paz

Can you use the touchpad without any extra drivers? All the games I've played that support it natively don't seem to use that.

Yeah non standard direct input stuff isn't part of that and would be nice to have by default, but then you run in to people needing the driver on their machines and problems across operating systems (like 360 pads have on OS X for example) etc, it's hard to make something a standard the way Microsoft has when you don't own the operating system. Making a driver to access more complex parts of the hardware is actually a significant hindrance to people adopting it as a controller compared to the current solution.

In terms of basic control pad functionality though the DS4 works fine as is across windows/osx/linux so long as you tell your game to look for it, but for many reasons a ton of games just aren't set up for anything other than xinput control pads.

i already had the double input problem on windows 8.1 with ds4windows so i swapped to inputmapper

aw damnit looks like that's affected too :'(

I've been on Windows 10 for months and just played through all of The Talos Principle using my DS4 and InputMapper. I didn't have any problems - I have the controller wired, if that makes a difference.

That sucks if some people are having a problem, but there must be a way around it if I'm not having any difficulties, right?

They also don't because it's not necessary. If most developers aren't supporting it as a dinput device, no way would it pick up more momentum under another api.
If it supported Xinput it would already work with all the same games the Xbox controllers work with. Developers could then put in an option to switch between Playstation and Xbox buttons.

ZalXII

Don't most games and game engines support directinput? Why is that DS4Windows necessary?
Not really, at least not based on my experience. Only one of my games i tried without additional software works natively and that is Assassins Creed Unity, even with Playstation icons. On the other hand, The Crew didn't, Project CARS didn't. Though, these are my newest examples, i suppose most older games have no native support as well, because every other game from my libary i tried worked only with DS4Windows or a different support software.

bananas

Banned
Can you use the headset jack on the PS4 controller on Windows 10? Because the Xbox One controller lets you use the adapter to play audio and the mic for chatting, which is a real plus.

And since you can now join Xbox parties through the Windows 10 app, it's a whole lot more convenient. I can play Rocket League on my PC and still chat with Xbox One friends.

Bossti

Neo Member
That sucks, but since I'm mainly gaming on PS4 anyway I'm fine using my old XBox controller for Windows 10. Would love to see this sorted out soon though.

Durante

It should work as well/bad as DS4Windows/Inputmapper, since all three of them are using SCP as a backbone
I didn't know that, never had any reason to use anything other than SCP.

The option of hiding a controller was using some system routine that got removed in a recent Win10 build. By the looks of things, it doesn't look like it will be coming back to RTM.
That still leaves my question of why not simply intercept/replace DINPUT.dll

So then it is entirely down to preference.

The touchpad can be a game changer. I like the 360 pad, but being able to select all my signs in Witcher 3 with swipes and touches is amazing. There's not an answer for that.

I do like the MS analog stick position better though.

Shame, I'll hold off on upgrading till it's fixed since the DS4 is my primary PC controller now.

Are there any benefits to using DS4 on PC over Xbox One Controller? Or is it just purely down to preference.

Preference and not needing some silly proprietary dongle.

Touch pad as mouse is also incredibly convenient.

Maybe Sony secretly blocked this so DS4's wouldn't get additional use so they wouldn't wear down fast. Based Sony not doing things for their wallet but doing stuff #ForThePlayers.

Sucks for those that use it but personally I think the DS4 is a bit shitty. Hopefully this is resolved soon.

And it doesn't hurt that the dongle doesn't exist yet.
It most certainly does, unless you mean it's not out yet.

pants

Good thing I'm not upgrading on my gaming PC day 1. I'm only doing the upgrade on my laptop and once all issues there are cleared will I move over. Not being able to play with my DS4s are a deal breaker.

LewieP

The PS4 controller is preferable to the Xbox One controller for PC gaming for me because I own a PS4 but I don't own an Xbox One.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only issue is using the "hide ds4" option? When you need that option, the game can support the ds4 natively so you wouldn't even need ds4windows running. I might be confused here though..

Kagami

Am I missing something or is this not really a big problem?

Games that are Xinput-only will not suffer from the double-input issue because they don't recognize the directinput inputs in the first place.
If a game does demonstrate double inputs, that means it's recognizing the DS4 directly so you just need to disable DS4Windows (or whatever xinput wrapper you're using).

So it'll be a minor hassle to switch the software back and forth and deal with configuring buttons in the game, but it's not like you won't be able to use a DS4 to play games in Win 10 that you could use it for in Win 7/8.1.

Right?

EDIT: Beaten by halopower67
Correct me if I'm wrong but the only issue is using the "hide ds4" option? When you need that option, the game can support the ds4 natively so you wouldn't even need ds4windows running. I might be confused here though..

Knurek

I've been on Windows 10 for months and just played through all of The Talos Principle using my DS4 and InputMapper. I didn't have any problems - I have the controller wired, if that makes a difference.

That sucks if some people are having a problem, but there must be a way around it if I'm not having any difficulties, right?

The problem doesn't affect all games.
Just some of them, especially those that can alternatively use the deprecated DirectInput gamepads.

I didn't know that, never had any reason to use anything other than SCP.
That still leaves my question of why not simply intercept/replace DINPUT.dll

I'm not the author of DS4Windows/Inputmapper/SCP so I can't really answer that. Just pasted what was said about it on DS4Windows webpage.

Your expertise might be required - it seems Dark Souls is one of the affected games:

The controller registers in Dark Souls 1 prepare to die edition, but none of the buttons are correctly mapped nor will the camera stop spinning (I also have to replug the controller once the game starts for the controller to work in-game). This is kind of frustrating.

Uh, no it's not irrelevant. I would still like to now which is better, regardless...

DS4Windows is free.
Inputmapper is ad supported, and requires a PayPal donation to remove advertisement.
Both are just wrappers for free SCP.
Your choice, really.

FLAguy954

Preference. For me there's no comparison. The Xbox One controller (and 360 controller) are simply far superior. And both of those will go in the trash once the Elite comes out in October. I'll be upgrading to Win 10 day 1.

This. Every other controller is going to be irrelevant once the Steam and Xbox One Elite controllers are on the market.

I honestly didn't know the Xbox One controller couldn't connect via bluetooth or work with the 360 wireless adapter.

lfJIQIE.gif

klee123

Welp, PC gaming becomes even less and less appealing for me unless the game is tailored for KBM.

Hope it gets patched.

Gyossaits

Banned
Do not upgrade to Windows 10 yet, unless you want to be a test monkey.

Irrelevant statement. Microsoft is doing a staggered release.

Win10 is launching on the 29th but that doesn't mean everyone is getting it.

For what it's worth, most games work just fine. The big things that required "hide ds4 controller" for me are just Steam BPM and Dark Souls 1.

Literally one step away from people who say 7 is better than 8.1.

Hey, some people just don't want to do all of the extra work of typing in classicshell.net into their web browser, or clicking off the extra radio button when choosing their ninite package.

Point still stands, a couple months difference or not it's still basically 3 years, for a dongle.

How has 2016 been? Any hot stock investment tips?

With the battery life of the DS4 being so horrendous, I am sure most would choose to use it plugged in anyway. Calling this a wash ATM ��

I've never had to plug in my DS4 to play a game. If I had to I'd just use a 360 controller instead of playing wired tbh.

But yeah there is no excuse for its battery life, but it hardly makes it a wash.

Synth

I've never had to plug in my DS4 to play a game. If I had to I'd just use a 360 controller instead of playing wired tbh.

But yeah there is no excuse for its battery life, but it hardly makes it a wash.

How about not having its functionality broken, due to not actually having official driver support? :D

Orayn

How about not having its functionality broken, due to not actually having official driver support? :D

"Official driver support" wouldn't fix this, because an "official driver" would have to do functionally the same thing as InputMapper and DS4Windows and would thus encounter the same problems.

Native Xinput support for the DS4 would probably require a hardware revision and getting certified by Microsoft to actually use the API.

Synth

Yeah, not to mention not even working properly on the PS3 nevermind the PC, Sony really dropped the ball.

Don't think I can fault them too much there. I haven't had a whole lot of luck plugging my X1 controller into a 360.

(still kinda bitter about the whole arcade stick thing, with 360 sticks being proven to work with Killer Instinct prior to launch)

"Official driver support" wouldn't fix this, because an "official driver" would have to do functionally the same thing as InputMapper and DS4Windows.

Native Xinput support for the DS4 would probably require a hardware revision and getting certified by Microsoft to actually use the API.

Ah, so making an XInput compatible joypad actually requires creating a literal Xbox compatible joypad? Fair enough then.

Top Bottom