• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do not upgrade to Windows 10 (yet) if you are using DualShock 4

Circinus

Why doesn't Sony offer official drivers for the DS4? presumably something that is not very complicated or expensive (correct me if I'm wrong), and it will be a gesture of goodwill for the community and can only increase their mind-share and exposure with those DualShock buttons showing up in more places

Weird how these companies operate sometimes..

I agree. It can only be positive for DualShock 4 sales and mindshare.

qko

I really doubt MS give a shit, this is down to the developers of DS4.

Seriously, DS4 devs had half a year to download the preview and test things out. I know the people working on the GameCube adapter drivers have been trying their drivers out and have been suggesting workarounds until they make a native driver.

Sinistral

Ah lol. Was wondering why people were praising this. Wanted to use it for a few games I bought from the Steam Summer sale but ran into these issues and just switched back to my wired 360 controller.

Works fine in Rocket League though!

Don't think I can fault them too much there. I haven't had a whole lot of luck plugging my X1 controller into a 360.

I mean, It's not really directly comparable wirelessly since both PS3 and PS4 use the same blutooth while 360/xbone use different proprietary wifi things.

But yeah it's a bit silly you can't use it wired.

Does the wireless Xbox 360 controller + dongle work? Some people had problems with it when upgrading to Windows 8 (I didn't thankfully) so I'm curious to know if it works without any problems on Windows 10?

I was thinking about buying the DS4 as a second controller but I guess I'll stick with another 360 one (I prefer it anyway, it was just a case of having a different controller, I guess) if it is trouble free on W10.

I'm sure MS will fix this. No sense in breaking the Steam controller and pissing off Valve when they apparently want to progress Windows gaming together collectively.

Synth

It does have official support, for directinput.

Surely you know what I mean.

I mean an actual Dualshock 4 driver, so the PC actually reports it as a Dualshock 4, rather than a generic "Wireless Controller" when I connect it, and the configration utility would acknowledge the trackpad, etc.

Not just the standard inherent driver support that any random supermarket own brand joypad would have.

If it had something like XInput of its own, then it would probably be a popular choice in terms of game support, like the Xbox pad is.

stryke

Surely you know what I mean.

I mean an actual Dualshock 4 driver, so the PC actually reports it as a Dualshock 4, rather than a generic "Wireless Controller" when I connect it, and the configration utility would acknowledge the trackpad, etc.

Not just the standard inherent driver support that any random supermarket own brand joypad would have.

and what makes you think that has any more chance of success of support from devs who don't even bother with Direct input right now?

SRTtoZ

Are there any benefits to using DS4 on PC over Xbox One Controller? Or is it just purely down to preference.

Not really. I mean, if you prefer the shape, touchpad, better d-pad and whatnot, but I think mostly people use it because they own a PS4 and a PC, and don't feel like going to buy an xbox controller when they already have a DS4. If I had a choice i'd pick up an XB1 controller for PC due to native drivers and button prompts in games, but I honestly don't use a controller that much on PC to warrant a purchase, so I just deal with the DS4.

Sanctuary

What about the free Windows 10 upgrade, can you simply have it sitting, waiting to be downloaded or does it need to be downloaded before a specific date? I have two PCs that are getting it, but I use DS4W on both as well.

Also, the DS4 is way more comfortable, has a better D-pad and is lighter unless you're using a wired 360 controller. For emulators, there's no comparison between the two controllers.

Saikyo

Direct Input controllers work on Windows 10? And Xboxce? Want to know if the SCP works on W10 with DualShock 3.

Kinda forgot about this, wanted to upgrade but now I am not sure.

Jays2Kings

Neo Member
Hey guys Im the dev of DS4Windows, basically the case is that there was a local service on Windows 7 - 8.1 that made sure the System didn't grab every device the moment it connected. Now that it's missing, the system keeps the DS4 Controller (Wireless controller) visible and still active, and being the system, it notices the controller before DS4W can hide it.

It won't affect every game, just games that support dinput, such as Dark Souls 1, Distance, and pretty much every game made in Unity. Like I said on the site, I have no idea how to fix this yet, when Windows 10 officially comes out I'll look into this more, but having tried the build of WIndows 10 likely to be the official RTM build, it seems like it will remain to be a problem.

Also sorry for the lack of updates, I've been pretty busy. I'll will be (hopefully) try to add Chinese support and some new features soon, but being perfectly honest, if I or anyone can't find a way to hide the controller on Windows 10, I can't say I'll be supporting DS4W for much longer.

Synth

and what makes you think that has any more chance of success of support from devs who don't even bother with Direct input right now?

Well, at some point DirectInput was the standard option whenever a game actually supported a joypad (dark days those were). XInput became popular mostly because it was a standard input API that perfectly matched a very popular controller (I guess it being by MS probably helped a bit, but whatever, lol). The DualShock controllers are even more popular than the 360 controller though, and with the existence of something similar to actually describe the device, I would imagine that not only would it be a comparably popluar inclusion in PC games... but the games would probably also match the button prompts to the controller used as well.

As per DS4Windows website:

It's possible that MS really wants you to use XBone controller instead of Sony's offering.
You might want to hold off with upgrading to see if the issue gets resolved. It's not like you don't have a year to do so.

Are you kidding? You actually think Microsoft purposefully designed Windows 10 to break DS4Windows?

Note that it doesn't say anything about this preventing you from using the DS4 natively if the game supports it. If Microsoft was going to do anything, they'd strip out DInput and only recognize Xinput (read: Xbox controllers) devices.

I seriously doubt anyone that works for Microsoft even knows DS4Windows exists. OP, please take off your tinfoil hat.

Durante

Like I said on the site, I have no idea how to fix this yet
How about intercepting all DINPUT accesses and not reporting the controller when it is used in Xinput mode?

Seriously, DS4 devs had half a year to download the preview and test things out.
How much are you paying them? You act like you deserve some kind of ongoing and even predictive support, must be quite the sum.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Also sorry for the lack of updates, I've been pretty busy. I'll will be (hopefully) try to add Chinese support and some new features soon, but being perfectly honest, if I or anyone can't find a way to hide the controller on Windows 10, I can't say I'll be supporting DS4W for much longer.

Ah man that is heart breaking. I really do hope you get it figured out. Your software has been great thus far and I appreciate the work you have put in to it.

Calling everyone cynical about everything seems like a pretty cynical point of view tbh

I mean, there's the thing I quoted, and then recently people are still convinced that Rocksteady always knew they were going to delay Arkham Knight, even at its announcement, which has already been shown to be false, there's people who still think that the ntkrnl leak was a controlled leak by MS even though that makes no sense, and then there's still people who believe that the Witcher 3 downgrades were Ubisoft-level fake footage shown off earlier rather than CDPR aiming high and then realizing they couldn't hit that goal.

It just seems that whenever something bad happens gamers immediately start to think cynically and blame the nearest entity who might remotely gain from it.

stryke

Well, at some point DirectInput was the standard option whenever a game actually supported a joypad (dark days those were). XInput became popular mostly because it was a standard input API that perfectly matched a very popular controller (I guess it being by MS probably helped a bit, but whatever, lol). The DualShock controllers are even more popular than the 360 controller though, and with the existence of something similar to actually describe the device, I would imagine that not only would it be a comparably popluar inclusion in PC games... but the games would probably also match the button prompts to the controller used as well.

There are already games that show the correct button prompts when DS4 is detected natively. Some are even indie games so obviously it's not hard so I don't know what yet another API thrown in by Sony is going to achieve. Touchpad and audio support? I doubt that's what's keeping devs from supporting DS4.

Synth

It just seems that whenever something bad happens gamers immediately start to think cynically and blame the nearest entity who might remotely gain from it.

It actually still occurs when anything good happens as well... it's always got to be some sort of trap, lol.

There are already games that show the correct button prompts when DS4 is detected natively. Some are even indie games so obviously it's not hard so I don't know what yet another API thrown in by Sony is going to achieve. Touchpad and audio support? I doubt that's what's keeping devs from supporting DS4.

Yea, I know there are some... but that's more them making a special effort, rather than them just doing something that's expected (as is the case for the Xbox pad). Creating a PlayStation config for DirecInput just isn't really the same thing, and is probably just not even something many devs even give any consideration to.

Mifec

I prefer xp. harhar. Opinions. Place is crawlin with em.

I wasn't talking about preferences though, 8.1 is factually better than 7. There are people who think it isn't because they only look at metro and have no clue about the OS at all and spread misinformation.

Which is similar to the post I quoted.

Oppo

besides, the button prompt don't actually mean shit. It's not like you stare at your controller while you're playing. If you have experience with the dual shock and the Xbox controller, then you just have the mental map ready to go.

i've been using the windows Xbox 360 controller up until recently, but I have to admit the trackpad on the DS4 is very handy.

As per DS4Windows website:

It's possible that MS really wants you to use XBone controller instead of Sony's offering.
You might want to hold off with upgrading to see if the issue gets resolved. It's not like you don't have a year to do so.

Seriously? In your mind, youd ratger believe that Microsoft wants to block something people use ratger than assume that the company who makes this hack to allow the DS4 to work on PC hasn't fixed their software to be compatible for Windows 10? Do you really hate MS so much that you have to create such a ridiculous scenario to make them out to be the bad guy?

Smh

Are you playing any games that would be affected?

I played just a bit of The Witcher 3 before realizing I really should try to play through the second one first. Everything controlled fine.

It is a rather old build of the preview though, I think I disabled updates some time ago for some reason.

Jays2Kings

Neo Member
How about intercepting all DINPUT accesses and not reporting the controller when it is used in Xinput mode?

This sort of already happens when using bluetooth, dinput isn't sent to games, however it still shows up as a controller, and messes with the order of controllers, so games like Dark Souls is pretty much unplayable with the controller on Windows 10, however Distance and some unity games you can manage mostly fine. However via usb still sends input so that's not so great.

TSM

The DualShock controllers are even more popular than the 360 controller though

No one actually believes this is true on PC, do they?

The issue is that the standard is xinput and Sony doesn't want to spend the money for licensing and support on PC. So your options are to go with the PC standard and buy a 360 or One controller or to rely on third party xinput wrappers for generic dinput controllers like the DS4/DS4. Any anger at Microsoft for this problem is misplaced.

Synth

No one actually believes this is true on PC, do they?

The issue is that the standard is xinput and Sony doesn't want to spend the money for licensing and support on PC. So your options are to go with the PC standard and buy a 360 or One controller or rely on third party xinput wrappers for generic dinput controllers like the DS4/DS4. Any anger at Microsoft for this problem is misplaced.

No, not on PC... just in general.

The 360 controller is massively more popular on PC because.... it has proper official support!

It's kinda my point. :)

Elsolar

So I'm a bit late to the party, but wouldn't this be really simple to work around? DS4Windows supports game-specific profiles, so all you'd have to do is make a "Silent mode" profile that sets all the the DS4 buttons to NULL. Then when you launch the appropriate game it would only see one set of inputs since DS4Win wouldn't be forwarding the DS4 inputs to Xinput presses.

Valnen

Is DS4Windows better than InputMapper?

I've used both, I prefer inputmapper.

I wish games would just offer native support, complete with the correct button icons. So few games on PC let you choose your button icons. Thankfully FFXIV is one of them.

TSM

I've used both, I prefer inputmapper.

I wish games would just offer native support, complete with the correct button icons. So few games on PC let you choose your button icons. Thankfully FFXIV is one of them.

It's because Sony won't support the current PC standard xinput. It should be on Sony to properly support the PC and not the other way around.

I personally don't want dinput support to go away though because it's used by so many peripherals.

Knurek

This sort of already happens when using bluetooth, dinput isn't sent to games, however it still shows up as a controller, and messes with the order of controllers, so games like Dark Souls is pretty much unplayable with the controller on Windows 10, however Distance and some unity games you can manage mostly fine. However via usb still sends input so that's not so great.

Looking at DARKSOULS.exe, how about creating a bogus DINPUT8.dll, which will intercept game queries and sent them to /dev/null (or whatever the Windows equivalent)?

Durante

Well, my point was that you could intercept e.g. IDirectInput8::EnumDevices at the dinput.dll level and prevent it completely from even showing games the controller as a device.

This is really frustrating, I very much don't want to have to buy an Xbone controller and use it wired. Are there performance gains with Windows 10?

Top Bottom