• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Do we have the right to buy a Toyota at a Ford dealer?" Epic’s Tim Sweeney Defends Epic Games Store Exclusives Politic

Kadayi

Banned
Maybe I don't, but I'm sure whoever is looking at that at Epic knows what they're doing a lot better than us.

There's no maybe about it.

Also, your ardent faith in the wisdom of the wise heads of Epic is pretty amusing tbh. I mean what exactly is that that they've done so far for you to consider them beyond reproach? I mean what's you're criteria here?

demigod

MK 11 Preorder on Fanatical 27% off. Goodluck getting those types of preorder discounts with Epic Games Store.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Didn't this all start when Epic hit paydirt with a cartoonish, f2p version of PUBG? Just prior, they were really pushing Paragon and Fortnite on equal footing. Then when the bucks from the cash-kids started flowing they cancelled their own game and put everyone on making Fortnite skins. Hahaha.

If they fuck their own people and games over like that, why should a consumer trust them? They were just lucky and now they go around waving their dicks like they're heroes. I'm sure there's a chart in some Epic boardroom showing typical fad cycles compared to how long it would take Tencent to moneyhat PC gaming.

Kadayi

Banned
It shouldn't be. They, pretty obviously, know how to foster products into success.

I think CrustyBritches CrustyBritches sums it up nicely. Without copying PUBG, Epic wasn't exactly dominating up until now. They've sense enough to know that the Fortnite money won't last, so they're attempting to capitalise on it and strong-arm their way into the digital distribution market for the long term, but they're operating under the delusion that exclusivity alone is going to buy long term loyalty and a natural transition to their mediocre featureless store. To quote the bard Morrissey 'It says nothing to me about my life'

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I think CrustyBritches CrustyBritches sums it up nicely. Without copying PUBG, Epic wasn't exactly dominating up until now. They've sense enough to know that the Fortnite money won't last, so they're attempting to capitalise on it and strong-arm their way into the digital distribution market for the long term, but they're operating under the delusion that exclusivity alone is going to buy long term loyalty and a natural transition to their mediocre featureless store. To quote the bard Morrissey 'It says nothing to me about my life'

Really? So Epic is really only here because of Fortnite, you say? So Unreal Tournament was nothing, right? Unreal Engine, also a big flop, right? Gears of War, that wasn't a thing, right?

To say Epic is only here because of a PUBG ripoff either tells me you're 12 or that you haven't been paying attention. Which is it?

At this point, you're only here because you feel a need to win this argument, which isn't going to happen. All you got is that Epic has a store which is currently lacking in features, which is meaningless. #1, because they'll continually update it and believing otherwise is ridiculous. #2, because they're trying to make up for it by having exclusive games on their store and, no matter how much that hurts your feelings, that's not a crime.

Kadayi

Banned
Really? So Epic is really only here because of Fortnite, you say? So Unreal Tournament was nothing, right? Unreal Engine, also a big flop, right? Gears of War, that wasn't a thing, right?

To say Epic is only here because of a PUBG ripoff either tells me you're 12 or that you haven't been paying attention. Which is it?

At this point, you're only here because you feel a need to win this argument, which isn't going to happen. All you got is that Epic has a store which is currently lacking in features, which is meaningless. #1, because they'll continually update it and believing otherwise is ridiculous. #2, because they're trying to make up for it by having exclusive games on their store and, no matter how much that hurts your feelings, that's not a crime.

Get over yourself. Fortnites success is what has given them the necessary war chest.

HyGogg

Banned
Yeah but the car industry is kind of fucked up and really you should be.

But honestly I don't have a huge problem with what Epic is doing. Steam has become a virtual monopoly. My issue is that the Epic Store feels very beta right now.

Roni

Gold Member
Get over yourself. Fortnites success is what has given them the necessary war chest.
You sure I'm the one who needs to get over himself? I'm not the one asking for a company to stop doing something profitable because it rubs me the wrong way.

ethomaz

Banned
this is the positive side of capitalism. competition. I see nothing wrong with buying exclusives as long as its temporary.
There is nothing wrong even if it is forever exclusive.

If you are helping to fund a game you have the rights to choose where it will be available no matter how "consumers" get angry.

The fact you are funding a new game is a positive thing for both the developer and consumers.

Exclusivity is basically a pro-consumer move... it drivers the industry for more and better games for consumers.. give budget to developers reach their goals... it is a win-win-win move (publisher, devs and consumers).

PS. Before the warriors come... no matter if you are helping with 10% or 100% of the budge or even just helping with the marketing budget... in the end you are helping to create a new game that is basically what makes the industry more healthy.

Last edited:

JCK75

His me

The last Unreal Tournament that anyone played with UT2k4 , they even named it so you can see how long it's been since they made a good game.
Gears is a perfect example of how Tim said FU to the PC community that built them up and went exclusive to Xbox consoles, now he is trying to come back and take over, so fuck him.

ethomaz

Banned
What's this, 1984's Newspeak?
What that even means?

Exclusivity is indeed a move that give more and better games to consumers... how that can't be pro-consumer? lol

You guys perhaps lives in a bubble.

It is a petty easy to understand:

- Dev has $x million to make a game
- Dev has $x million to make a game plus more $y million due the exclusivity deal

What situation is better for consumers?

The better for me, consumer, will always be a health industry where devs have more money to aim for more and better games and not a industry where a devs is near bankrupt because they didn't have a exclusive deal to help they reach their goals with a game.

Think a bit about.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
You sure I'm the one who needs to get over himself? I'm not the one asking for a company to stop doing something profitable because it rubs me the wrong way.

Please, you've brought nothing to the thread. Not the even the ability to present a cogent argument. Keep stanning for Sweeney though. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

No I think the engine was, to be honest. They nearly abandoned game development altogether because the engine was so much more lucrative.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/27/e...NvbS8&guce_referrer_cs=eXL4ZknxgrN8Inu0oXX0rA

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Maybe if we put this in non-digital terms ppl will be able to better understand this issue.

Let's say there is no Internet. A new game is coming out and typically you would be able to buy this game at any store. However, this game will only be available for 6 months at a store called Cheap R Us (the publisher wants to make more $$ so they are stripping out a few features) . When you buy it from that store it does not come with a case, instruction manual and the disc may even be scratched. If you wait 6 months you can get the game anywhere with a case, instruction manual and the disc will work perfectly.

This is the issue with the Epic store.

Greedings

What that even means?

Exclusivity is indeed a move that give more and better games to consumers... how that can't be pro-consumer? lol

You guys perhaps lives in a bubble.

It is a petty easy to understand:

- Dev has $x million to make a game
- Dev has $x million to make a game plus more $y million due the exclusivity deal

What situation is better for consumers?

The better for me, consumer, will always be a health industry where devs have more money to aim for more and better games and not a industry where a devs is near bankrupt because they didn't have a exclusive deal to help they reach their goals with a game.

Think a bit about.

No development is in a vacuum. You have to take into account all the previous sales, all the fans who will now ignore the game because it's exclusive, and whether that $y money will actually be spent on development, or just marketing and bonuses.

Releasing multi-platform (or in this case store), increases the user base, meaning that the dev will make more money per game, much of which will be reinvested into the next product.

I'm no economist, but it's not as simple as you (or I) are making it out to be.

Roni

Gold Member
Please, you've brought nothing to the thread. Not the even the ability to present a cogent argument. Keep stanning for Sweeney though. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Really, is that the best you got for getting out of this argument? 'Cause I can keep shutting you down for thinking a company owes you anything.

Also, nice job telling someone they can't present a cogent argument using a poorly written sentence.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
#1, because they'll continually update it and believing otherwise is ridiculous. #2, because they're trying to make up for it by having exclusive games on their store and, no matter how much that hurts your feelings, that's not a crime.

I'm a PC gamer, not a console warrior. I prefer my games to be on as many platforms as possible, so that everybody can enjoy them. I really don't care about exclusivity, in fact I despise it. Epic really isn't doing me any favor with their exclusives, on the contrary and I find it really ridiculous how you are trying to spin that as a positive.

Kadayi

Banned
Really, is that the best you got for getting out of this argument? 'Cause I can keep shutting you down for thinking a company owes you anything.

Also, nice job telling someone they can't present a cogent argument using a poorly written sentence.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
1*p-wcR8W3W2LKXKqYLQeaxg.gif
0043_mvrms.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.webp
iu
gina-carano.gif

Roni

Gold Member
I'm a PC gamer, not a console warrior. I prefer my games to be on as many platforms as possible, so that everybody can enjoy them. I really don't care about exclusivity, in fact I despise it. Epic really isn't doing me any favor with their exclusives, on the contrary and I find it really ridiculous how you are trying to spin that as a positive.

You like less games in the market?

Because Epic isn't stopping you from getting any games. They're just stepping up and saying you can only get that game in their store, you can buy it, but only from them. They keep this up and their store becomes not so featureless, Valve has a problem. Because now Epic's store is no longer missing features and they sell all of Valve's games plus others they don't have. Now Valve needs to start spending money to generate just as much value as Epic does. Now Valve has to figure out a way to close the gap in value for the customer.

And one of those ways is making games that are just as good or better.

Let me put this simply for you: before Epic entered the market, Half-Life 3 was never coming out and Left 4 Dead 3 had maybe a 50% chance of ever surfacing. In the future, as Epic gets a greater foothold, those odds are gonna get a lot higher.

It's the same console dynamic. Xbox will start to invest in more high-quality games because PlayStation started kicking their asses so bad, they had no other choice.
If Epic keeps getting exclusive games, in time Valve will be under the same pressure.

And I can't believe I have to explain this...

Last edited:
And I can't believe I have to explain this...

Look, I'll make it simple, exclusivity is never a good deal for the consumer. Even on consoles, it only means that you either need to buy all systems or that you're missing out on nice games. How's that in our interest as gamers? It's one of the reasons why I've stopped bothering with consoles altogether. Say what you want, but Steam never forced publishers and developers into exclusivity deals. Meaning that the customer could always choose where he is buying his games or get better deals.

What Epic is doing right now is not in the interest of PC gamers and I certainly won't let their stupid exclusives lure me onto their barebones and shitty storefront, because in the end I'd like to decide for myself where I get my games from. I don't like their store, I don't appreciate how their client is mining my system for data on the competition and I certainly don't approve of their business practices. This to me is more important than having a couple of shiny exclusives in my library. As I said, I want the games that I like to be enjoyed by as many people as possible.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Look, I'll make it simple, exclusivity is never a good deal for the consumer. Even on consoles, it only means that you either need to buy all systems or that you're missing out on nice games.

Please read your own words again, very carefully...

THIS IS NOT HAPPENING ON CONSOLES.

In this situation, IN SPECIFIC, exclusivity is not making you dish out another $400 you don't have to play that game. ALL of these clients can be installed on the computer you already have.

YOU ALREADY HAVE ALL THE SYSTEMS.

The only difference is who gets to bill your credit card.

AM I REALLY THE ONE BEING ARBITRARY ABOUT PROTECTING A COMPANY'S INTEREST HERE?

I'm not the one here saying EPIC shouldn't use their money to make games exclusive just because I want VALVE to keep getting money from as many people as possible, for as long as possible.

Last edited:
In this situation, IN SPECIFIC, exclusivity is not making you dish out another $400 you don't have to play that game. ALL of these clients can be installed on the computer you already have.

You're not getting it. Epic is taking away my consumer choice by forcing me on their cretinous store, giving me no other choice but to support their shitty business practices if I want to play a game I like. That's not something I wish to support as a PC gamer and I certainly don't like them taking away my freedom of choice.

Exclusivity is not and will never be in the interest of the consumer. If Epic wants to win me over, they should do so by offering a quality service, not by forcing me through exclusivity.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
You're not getting it. Epic is taking away my consumer choice by forcing me on their cretinous store, giving me no other choice but to support their shitty business practices if I want to play a game I like. That's not something I wish to support as a PC gamer and I certainly don't like them taking away my freedom of choice.

Exclusivity is not and will never be in the interest of the consumer.

Well... People who chose to be arbitrarily loyal to Xbox in the beginning of this generation, as you're all choosing to be for Valve, do have to wait until the beginning of the next one to start getting the new batch of first party titles, so... Guess you'll be waiting for a few months for some of these then.

See you on the other side.

Last edited:
Well... People who chose to be arbitrarily loyal to Xbox in the beginning of this generation do have to wait until the beginning of the next one to start getting the new batch of first party titles, so... Guess you'll be waiting for a while then.

That doesn't even make sense in the context of this discussion. As I said before, this exclusivity bullcrap is the exact reason why I avoid consoles in the first place. You were the one who vehemently disagreed with me in capital letters on bringing consoles into this:

THIS IS NOT HAPPENING ON CONSOLES.

YOU ALREADY HAVE ALL THE SYSTEMS.

Now you're suddenly coming up with the exact same sh*t that I'm opposed against, desperately trying to levy it as an argument against me. Don't be ridiculous.

See you on the other side.

Contrary to you, I don't need everything right now just so that I can brag about it or because I'm an impatient brat who can't stick to his principles for the sake of shiny new things. I can wait.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
That doesn't even make sense in the context of this discussion. As I said before, this exclusivity bullcrap is the exact reason why I avoid consoles in the first place. You were the one who vehemently disagreed with me in capital letters on bringing consoles into this:

Now you're suddenly coming up with the exact same sh*t that I'm opposed against, desperately trying to levy it as an argument against me. Don't be ridiculous.
OH HO HO HO...

No, I'm not the one coming up with this. I have both stores installed on my PC. You're the one arbitrarily making your PC into a Steam machine. I'm not waiting.

You're the one waiting. And simply because you want to.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Let me put this simply for you: before Epic entered the market, Half-Life 3 was never coming out and Left 4 Dead 3 had maybe a 50% chance of ever surfacing. In the future, as Epic gets a greater foothold, those odds are gonna get a lot higher.

image.jpg

HL2:EP3 coming 2009 =

giphy.gif

HL2:EP3 coming 2019 =

giphy.gif

This idea that the appearance of the EGS is somehow going to galvanise a developer whose largely gone off the boil of late to get their shit together and push out the SP conclusion to a franchise they'd basically abandoned for 12 years and the bulk of whose player base has largely moved on is at best wishful thinking. The collective audience for that game is already on Steam, so where's the gain? All they'd be doing is seeing out something that should have been delivered at least 10 years ago according to their own estimates. No one applauds the chef for delivering a late neal, regardless of how tasty it may turn out to be.

I have both stores installed on my PC. You're the one arbitrarily making your PC into a Steam machine. I'm not waiting.

Have fun, I guess. I'd rather stick to my principles and not embrace consumer hostile business practices for the sake of shiny new toys to play with. I'm an adult not a spoiled kid who needs to brown-nose Epic's rear end for his desperate gaming fix.

Roni

Gold Member
Have fun, I guess. I'd rather stick to my principles and not embrace consumer hostile business practices for the sake of shiny new toys to play with. I'm an adult not a spoiled kid who needs to brown-nose Epic's rear end for his desperate gaming fix.

LOL, you do realize you're talking about the same videogames you play, right?

This stoic adult shit is not flying. You're in a videogame forum, just like me, posting in a topic about this very subject. That you care is a given.

Roni

Gold Member
This idea that the appearance of the EGS is somehow going to galvanise a developer whose largely gone off the boil of late to get their shit together and push out the SP conclusion to a franchise they'd basically abandoned for 12 years and the bulk of whose player base has largely moved on is at best wishful thinking.

You already lost the argument at the GIF-ful post.

Oh, and you also failed to realize the names I used in the example were just for show. My argument was for MORE games, not THOSE games. As I said in the sentence, I was putting it simply.

Last edited:
This stoic adult shit is not flying. You're in a videogame forum, just like me, posting in a topic about this very subject. That you care is a given.

I never said that I didn't care, on the contrary. Otherwise I'd just jump on the Epic bandwagon like the little consumerist sheeple that you are. The fact that I'm on a video game forum doesn't mean that I can't have reasoned discussion. Contrary to you, I don't need to brag about the games I play and I certainly don't need to be a day one consumer only to rub it into other people's faces. Because that's about the level of your pitiful discourse. If you think I'm impressed by that, think again.

Roni

Gold Member
I never said that I didn't care, on the contrary. Otherwise I'd just jump on the Epic bandwagon like the little consumerist sheeple that you are. The fact that I'm on a video game forum doesn't mean that I can't have reasoned discussion. Contrary to you, I don't need to brag about the games I play and I certainly don't need to be a day one consumer only to rub it into other people's faces. Because that's about the level of your pitiful discourse. If you think I'm impressed by that, think again.
Maybe you don't need to brag about the games you play, but you sure like bragging about those good ol' principles of your. In a videogame forum.

Kadayi

Banned
No, I'm not the one coming up with this. I have both stores installed on my PC. You're the one arbitrarily making your PC into a Steam machine. I'm not waiting.

I''m on all the stores. I'm just not buying anything from EGS.

You already lost the argument at the GIF-ful post.

Oh, and you also failed to realize the names I used in the example were just for show. My argument was for MORE games, not THOSE games.

I do like it when posters tell me that they're winning. It's so convincing. :unsure:

Maybe you don't need to brag about the games you play, but you sure like bragging about those good ol' principles of your.

Yeah man, at least I have some, contrary to you. Now if you have any other arguments to make your case, please do so. Otherwise go enjoy your Epic games and leave this discussion to the adults who actually care about business practices and consumer interests.

Roni

Gold Member
... adults who actually care about business practices and consumer interests.

Yeah, you see. An adult with any understanding in economics (and capitalism) wouldn't be desperately screaming at the clouds angry that a newcomer to any market is making moves to get a lead on the competition. So, again. This act isn't flying.

Yeah, you see. An adult with any understanding in economics (and capitalism) wouldn't be desperately screaming at the clouds angry that a newcomer to any market is making moves to get a lead on the competition. So, again. This act isn't flying.

The only reason why crappy business practices like exclusives, micro-transactions and p2w are so profitable is because of fools like you who are easily parted from their money for their shiny new toys. Nobody is screaming at clouds here, merely presenting reasoned arguments as to why they prefer not to support the way how Epic is competing. Simply because, in the long run, this is not in the interest of gamers and consumers alike.

There are things more important than being an early adopter and playing games on day one just so they can establish their silly gamer cred.

Roni

Gold Member
The only reason why crappy business practices like exclusives, micro-transactions and p2w are so profitable is because of fools like you who are easily parted from their money for their shiny new toys.

Man, it's my hobby. I do it for entertainment. I don't care who gets my money. If I really want it, I go out there and get it. They only have to worry about getting my attention, making the best game. I'll judge and I'll buy if I'm interested. Stop having such a huge chip on your shoulder. You're not saving the world here, you're just whining because you're not getting your games on your favorite stores.

You're complaning because you have to write an additional URL, log into an additional client and download the game. Look around you, we live in 2019. You're living wherever in this world talking to me using, using plastic and electricity... Just stop complaining about everything. We live in the best time. If you really want the game Epic has, bite the bullet and go for it.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
You're in a videogame forum, just like me, posting in a topic about this very subject. .

In a videogame forum.

I'm amused by this idea that the venue someone means all participants are somehow equal in the strength of argument and position.

tenor.gif

The only reason why crappy business practices like exclusives, micro-transactions and p2w are so profitable is because of fools like you who are easily parted from their money for their shiny new toys. Nobody is screaming at clouds here, merely presenting reasoned arguments as to why they prefer not to support the way how Epic is competing. Simply because, in the long run, this is not in the interest of gamers and consumers alike..

TBH. it wouldn't be half as bad if they came out of the gate with a decent client from a user perspective, but as is they came out of the gate with one that would look dated in even 2005. The abject lack of features is woeful in the extreme.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, your patience is truly commendable. I gave up a while back, you can't educate pork.

Kadayi

Banned
Man, it's my hobby. I do it for entertainment. I don't care who gets my money. If I really want it, I go out there and get it. They only have to worry about getting my attention, making the best game. I'll judge and I'll buy if I'm interested. Stop having such a huge chip on your shoulder. You're not saving the world here, you're just whining because you're not getting your games on your favorite stores.

And if you really wanted the game, you'd go get it.

Principles how do they work?

Guys, your patience is truly commendable. I gave up a while back, you can't educate pork.

The bacon keeps insisting he's alive, and that he's winning? Just like Charlie

Last edited:
Man, it's my hobby. I do it for entertainment. I don't care who gets my money. If I really want it, I go out there and get it.

We get it, you just want to play games and don't really care about all this silly consumer nonsense. Which only begs the question as to why you are participating in this discussion in the first place?

And if you really wanted the game, you'd go get it.

Has it ever occurred to you, that even in the context of our shared hobby, there are more important things than just running after the games you want? If given the choice between violating my consumer interests or playing a shiny new game, I prefer the former. Is that really so hard to grasp?

TBH. it wouldn't be half as bad if they came out of the gate with a decent client from a user perspective, but as is they came out of the gate with one that would look dated in even 2005. The abject lack of features is woeful in the extreme.

Yes, I'd have no problem with Epic if they had chosen to compete on quality, not by taking away my choice.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
We get it, you just want to play games and don't really care about all this silly consumer nonsense. Which only begs the question as to why you are participating in this discussion in the first place?

My point is simple. You guys are overreacting. BIG TIME.

Has it ever occurred to you, that even in the context of your shared hobby, there are more important things than just running after the games you want? If given the choice between violating my consumer interests or playing a shiny new game, I prefer the former.

Yeah, there are. And they don't involve videogames at all.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

I'm sure he's only on this videogame forum to educate us videogame players about how unimportant videogames truly are as a sovereign citizen or something.

My point is simple. You guys are overreacting. BIG TIME..

tenor.gif

He registered all the way back in 2015 all to build up to this moment. I hope it was worth it. ,

giphy.gif

If only everyone would just lie down and accept the shitty practices of Epic and this POS EGS client, everything would just be a lot easier you know

uVVrCMZ.gif

Last edited:
My point is simple. You guys are overreacting. BIG TIME.

That's neither a point nor an argument, but a subjective value statement. These things may not be important to you, but they are to other people. If you don't like it, well that's your frikkin' problem. Also, how are we even overreacting, by simply refusing to buy games from the Epic store? That's just silly.

Yeah, there are. And they don't involve videogames.

Me and by the looks of it, other people, like their hobby, which not only includes playing games, but also enjoying their options and freedoms of choice as a consumer. After all, this is a consumer and product orientated hobby, so it's really no wonder that these aspects are considered to be important.

Roni

Gold Member
Also, how are we even overreacting, by simply refusing to buy games from the Epic store? That's just silly.

You're overreacting when you scream bloody murder. You're overreacting when you try and paint this situation as an assault on god given right of choice and freedom in the free market of this great blah blah blah blah...

It's overreacting because you can't just not like it. You need to say it's shit. And you need other people to believe it too.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Me and by the looks of it, other people, like their hobby, which not only includes playing games, but also enjoying their options and freedoms of choice as a consumer. After all, this is a consumer and product orientated hobby, so it's really no wonder that these aspects are considered to be important.

Hold up there bud, you're not saying that videogames of all things should be held up to the same standards as any other consumer products? They're just videogames !!! And you're on a videogame forum of all things.

It's overreacting because you can't just not like it. You need to say it's shit.

How is the EGS not shit compared to Steam in terms of features? Beyond the exclusives what positives does it offer me as a client? List them.

SynNfar.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom