• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider a burrito to be a sandwich? What about hot dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Because the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance considers both of them to be sandwiches for sales tax purposes.

Ran into this link while browing through Eater:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/sandwiches.htm

Introduction

Sandwiches are generally subject to sales tax. This bulletin explains what is considered a sandwich for sales tax purposes. Additional resources relating to sales of food and beverages (e.g., sales by restaurants or food stores, sales from vending machines, or sales of candy) are listed at the end of this bulletin.

What is considered a sandwich

Sandwiches include cold and hot sandwiches of every kind that are prepared and ready to be eaten, whether made on bread, on bagels, on rolls, in pitas, in wraps, or otherwise, and regardless of the filling or number of layers. A sandwich can be as simple as a buttered bagel or roll, or as elaborate as a six-foot, toasted submarine sandwich.

Some examples of taxable sandwiches include:

• common sandwiches, such as:
    • BLTs (bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches);
    • club sandwiches;
    • cold cut sandwiches;
    • grilled cheese sandwiches;
    • peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
    • salad-type sandwiches (e.g., chicken, egg, ham, and tuna);
  • bagel sandwiches (served buttered or with spreads, or otherwise as a sandwich);
  • burritos
  • cheese-steak sandwiches;
  • croissant sandwiches;
  • fish fry sandwiches;
  • flatbread sandwiches;
  • breakfast sandwiches;
  • gyros;
  • hamburgers on buns, rolls, etc.;
  • heroes, hoagies, torpedoes, grinders, submarines, and other such sandwiches;
  • hot dogs and sausages on buns, rolls, etc.;
  • melt sandwiches;
  • open-faced sandwiches;
  • panini sandwiches;
  • Reuben sandwiches; and
  • wraps and pita sandwiches.

However, back in 2006 in Massachusetts a judge ruled that burritos are not sandwiches!

http://loweringthebar.net/2006/11/judge_rules_bur.html

The dispute arose because the Panera Bread Company’s Shrewsbury location has a clause in its lease that prevents the White City Shopping Center from providing space to any other "sandwich shops." In what was either a highly clever exploitation of a legal loophole by talented lawyers or a failure to read the lease, White City signed a lease with Qdoba Mexican Grill. (Considered but rejected at this point: a number of joke analogies to current immigration controversies.) Panera sued to enforce the sandwich-exclusion clause, which placed the issue of what constitutes a "sandwich" squarely before Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Locke.

"A sandwich is not commonly understood to include burritos, tacos, and quesadillas," wrote Judge Locke, since the latter "are typically made with a single tortilla and stuffed with a choice filling of meat, rice, and beans." As I have not yet read the decision itself, the use of the word "choice" may indicate some anti-sandwich bias on the judge’s part or it might simply be a description of the evidence, which was extensive. Judge Locke received testimony on the issue from expert witnesses including a Cambridge chef, a "former high-ranking federal agriculture official," and a number of other unnamed "food experts," as well as consulting Webster’s Dictionary.

Expert chef Chris Schlesinger may have turned the tide for Qdoba with his dramatic affidavit testimony. "I know of no chef or culinary historian," he stated, "who would call a burrito a sandwich. Indeed, the notion would be absurd to any credible chef or culinary historian." I doubted there was such a thing as a culinary historian until I remembered France, but this testimony still seemed vulnerable to a counter-affidavit from an incredible chef, but I guess Panera was not able to find one of those.

Just a moment of levity in the midst of current events. :p

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Hot dogs are sandwiches

Burritos aren't sandwiches

What about sandwich wraps?

wrap.jpg

I would say they are not sandwiches.

I would also say that taxing a food item differently depending on whether or not it fits someone's arbitrary definition of sandwich is super fucking dumb

Poppy

imo a burrito is a wrap and a hot dog is a roll, but this is just culinarily speaking

if they are gonna tax it under that definition it seems reasonable to me

jobrro

No. Didn't even know burgers were considered sandwiches in America until a few years ago. In Australia they are never referred to as such.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Neither is a sandwich..

A burrito is an entire cylindrical wrap around stuff/filling, not a sandwich.

A hotdog is a half split long cylindrical bun with a cylindrical piece of meat in it, not a sandwich.

These would never be sandwiches in my book.

riotous

Banned
No. Didn't even know burgers were considered sandwiches in America until a few years ago. In Australia they are never referred to as such.

It's not really "referred to" as a sandwich in the US either; it just... is a type of sandwich technically.

Poppy

Make a hot dog patty and eat it. I dare ya!

sounds alright, would basically be like a spamburger or something wouldnt it

like if you grind up some dogs and reconsitute them into a patty and fry it up, whatever, i would eat it

Jokes about quality aside, if you don't think hot dogs count as sandwiches, then you shouldn't think the sandwiches from Subway count either.

I thought, "A hot dog isn't a sandwich."

Then I thought, "A sandwich is two pieces of bread with some stuff between them."

And then I realized that's what a hot dog is.

It was a journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom