• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge rules that burritos are not sandwiches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Panera has a clause in its lease that prevents the White City Shopping Center in Shrewsbury from renting to another sandwich shop. Panera tried to invoke that clause to stop the opening of an Qdoba Mexican Grill.

But Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Locke cited Webster's Dictionary as well as testimony from a chef and a former high-ranking federal agriculture official in ruling that Qdoba's burritos and other offerings are not sandwiches.

The difference, the judge ruled, comes down to two slices of bread versus one tortilla.

"A sandwich is not commonly understood to include burritos, tacos and quesadillas, which are typically made with a single tortilla and stuffed with a choice filling of meat, rice, and beans," Locke wrote in a decision released last week.
This is important

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The judge is only partially right. What about the "whole quesadilla"?

Wiki sez:

(...)Another variation found outside of Mexico is a "whole" quesadilla, which is made of two tortillas sandwiched with the filling between rather than one folded over. (...)

I feel a new lawsuit coming up if the Mexican place should sell those.
a smart tenant would have opted for a "no other snackbar" clause instead of that mushy one first hand

Edit:

EXHIBIT A
10027.jpg

GhaleonEB

"A sandwich is not commonly understood to include burritos, tacos and quesadillas, which are typically made with a single tortilla and stuffed with a choice filling of meat, rice, and beans," Locke wrote in a decision released last week.

Words of wisdom to live by.

GilloD

Banned
BlackMage said:
what a greedy ****ing company trying to get them from opening a mexican grill near their vicinity.

My brother in law used to draw up contracts from Starbucks and the like and there were ALWAYS clauses along the lines of, "Landlord shall not lease to other coffee/bakery/bar/sandwich resturant/cafe within 20 miles" etc. It's really not uncommon.

Joe Molotov

This ruling will surely go down in history books right beside Brown v. Board of Education, Scopes v. State, and Godzilla v. Megalon.

way more

****ing Activist judges. I hope that Jerry Falwell prays for him to die like he did for the supreme court justices.

Verboten said:
Is it true that a sex sandwich is better than a sex burrito? A sex burrito sounds like it has to do with fecalphilia.

That idea sounds like a rip-off of the movie American Burrito.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Time to waste some more money and take this to a higher court!
Those backwash Sammich apologists will never prevail. NEVER. Taco is the future.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
this reminds me of the classic case deciding the difference between fryers and broilers among chickens sold in markets.

MetalAlien

Banned
All of my work to prove otherwise and one Judge ruins it. 10 years of my life I will never get back!

Oh well, on to prove soda should be included in the coffee family!

Xzior

Thank god they cleared that up. Now I have to call an old friend to say that we don't have to be enemies anymore... the Burrito - Sandwich War is over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom