• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer to constantly try new games or stick to mastering/grinding a select few?

Personally, i'm always moving on one game to the next in my backlog as I like to expand my horizons as much as possible and try out new things to keep gaming exciting and interesting. Then I can decide which games I enjoy the most so I can come back to it later on. I used to platinum games during my tryhard teen phase but now I only go back to replay it if I genuinely want to, if i'm interested enough in its systems to want to get as much as possible out of it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Always new things, but also I've played WoW on-and-off for 18 years as my comfort blanket.

I used to grind for days in MMOs and I missed so many other good games. I don't recommend sticking to one unless you are a speedrunner, streamer, or you truly only want to play one game for as long as possible.

Right now I have a rotation. 1 online/Co-op game. 1 offline game. When I feel like I've been fulfilled enough all that the co-op game has to offer, I move on. With the offline games I move on faster unless it has an easy Platinum like the Spiderman games on PS5.

I used to grind for days in MMOs and I missed so many other good games. I don't recommend sticking to one unless you are a speedrunner, streamer, or you truly only want to play one game for as long as possible.

Right now I have a rotation. 1 online/Co-op game. 1 offline game. When I feel like I've been fulfilled enough all that the co-op game has to offer, I move on. With the offline games I move on faster unless it has an easy Platinum like the Spiderman games on PS5.
i usually play an offline and online game in conjunction then if im finished with the offline game, replace it iwth another offline game if im finished with the online game, replace it with another online game.

i usually play an offline and online game in conjunction then if im finished with the offline game, replace it iwth another offline game if im finished with the online game, replace it with another online game.
This is what I actually do and I realized my first post is poorly worded, so my apologies. I have a rotation of 2 games, one offline and one online, like yourself. I mainly play the online ones during peak hours and for the older games out there peak hours sometimes works.

Hohenheim

I only play single-player games, so yeah. Always something new when the credits roll. A few titles gets a second playthrough, but very few.

Now that I'm older and have less time, as soon as I've finished a game I move on. There have been a couple of exceptions with games that I really enjoyed and started playing them over again, but this is pretty rare. Then I usually just have one MMO or something I can dip in and out of whenever.

Robb

Gold Member
I usually just move from game to game. There’s a few I tend to re-play from time to time, like ALTTP for example. I also re-play past titles in series in preparation for sequels. But usually I just play new stuff.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I play games almost exclusively to master them.

Jumping between things is just not for me, if I like a game I'm going to get maximum enjoyment and satisfaction from it.

I usually do a bit of grinding and second playthroughs for trophies, but don't consider any of my playing mastering something. Around average in all games.

I like to stick to a handful of games for ages. I also like to stay within a narrow band of genres. I'm jealous of people who obsessively play just a single game for a decade.

Fbh

I usually move from one game to the next.
I'd rather experience new games I never played before than sticking with a game I already beat.
I rarely replay games for the same reason, like I've though about replaying The Witcher 3 but when I think about the 80+ hours that would take I'd rather use those 80 hours of my limited gaming time to experience new games I've yet to play like Baldur's Gate 3 or Dragons Dogma 2 or RE4R

SJRB

Gold Member
I absolutely hate mastering/grinding games. I play games for fun and when it's over, it's over.

The only games I spent >100 hours on are open world games where I can just casually roam around and enjoy the world, like RDR2 or Cyberpunk 2077.

Gandih42

I like to get deep into the games I play so tend to stick with them for a while. On PS5 I'll go for a second playthrough (hard mode/ng+) /platinum if the gameplay is fun and i can get more out of it.

So I only go through a few games every year, but I choose them very selectively and get really into them.

FF7R was really fun on hard, so for Rebirth I can see myself doing a hard mode playthrough.

Somewhere inbetween. If I'm really into a game, I want to see it all and complete everything. If the game is just OK, I can finish it and move on to something else.

Griffon

I'm old enough to know that my time is too valuable to force myself into finishing a mediocre game, let alone doing 100% runs.

I only finish games I truly enjoy. I only ever 100% the games I love.

BlackTron

I usually try a variety of different games while sticking to a few long time stalwarts that never go away. For me those are Starcraft, Halo, Mario and Sonic

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Unless a game gives me a reason to continue playing after the credits roll, I’m onto the next game. I’ve got way too many games waiting to be played.

Last edited:

Korso

It is possible that we are the same person...

Bartski

Gold Member
I master games I love, especially those that demand mastery to make the most out of them. I love the challenge. I also get rusty real fast so if I move on there is usually no going back.

Top Bottom