• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you remember the very first time you ever saw a video game?

Carnby

I do. It was Pitfall for the Atari 2600. I must have been 2 or 4 years old. I had no idea what I was seeing at the time. I only remember walking into my cousin's bedroom and being mesmerized by it. I will never forget the day. It was beautiful.

Side note: Also remember that when ever I wanted to play a game on the Atari, it wasn't available, there wasn't enough time, or I heard the excuse "Video games ruin television screens!"

So,do you remember the very first time you ever saw a video game?

Cess007

My oldest memorie about watching someone else playing a videogame, was watching my brother play this:

s_Basketball_1.png

At that time, that looked so awesome!

I may have seen my cousins' Atari before and don't remember it, but my first memory of seeing a video game was getting NES for Christmas at age 4 and playing Super Mario Bros. Now that's a hell of a first impression!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
No, but the first one we got at home was a Pong unit. It was a prize from a Halloween costume contest. 2600 had just come out, but it was still expensive as fuck.

No. My earliest memory of gaming is playing SMB1 on Christmas morning, but I know that wasn't the first game I played or saw. I just can't remember exactly what it was.

Zoc

Seeing Super Mario Bros. 1 in my friend's basement when I was three or four. He offered to let me play, but I was too terrified of falling in a pit.

I don't really remember, but I know it was an Atari game because that was my brother's first console (he is 2 years older than me). The first game I remember playing is Duck Hunt and Mario, though. lol

I can't remember exactly either sadly, but my first games were Commander Keen, Aces of the Pacific, and Hugo III: Jungle of Doom for PC.

Daingurse

Nope, not really. First game I owned was Sonic 2, I know this, but I frankly can't remember stuff too well. My childhood memories feel fabricated, not true memories, but generated from me watching old home movies and shit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I really don't.

I got a NES when I was 5.... but my parents tell me I had been asking for it for awhile, so I must have seen at friends' places or on TV?? Who knows.

The Cowboy

Yes, it was when my dad brought home a weird box with 2 controllers with twistable knobs on it, it was PONG!.

superpong.jpg

I was hooked onto gaming for life.

Steel

Banned
I just looked up a screenshot for the first game I ever played. I can't find any. It was taskmaster on my father's black and white laptop. Fairly fun RPG. The computer still works too, built in trackball and all.

CF22

I know it was Super Mario but don't remember when. I do remember the time my dad gave me a plastic Tetris handheld when I was 4 or 5. I still have it somewhere, must be like 20 years old.

Novak

+1 for Atari 2600

It was River Raid, Grand Prix or Pacman. Not sure which one was first but I got those 3 games with the system. I played River Raid the most.

neos

Excluding arcade machines, i think it was prince of persia or willow on a 386 at friend's house. can't remember the exact order they showed me the games. That's a day i won't forget

Puru

Rick Dangerous but it definitly wasn't the first i played (if i remember well it was Rodland but not 100% sure).

Either watching my brother play through MGS, or Resident Evil 2 on PS1. Good times :D

edit: Scratch that, playing Donkey Kong on SNES. Also good times :p

Loxley

Back around 1993 when I was in day-care, a bunch of kids were playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on a SNES - that's the first time I ever recall seeing (and eventually playing) a video game.

Steel

Banned
You know it's funny. The game I was talking about, Taskmaster, was actually Taskmaker. That word was the only voiced thing in the entire game and I always thought it said master not maker....

Either case, found a screenshot:
ThroneRoom-550x368.png

ghibli99

Can't remember the very first time I ever saw one, but remember the first few:

Pong cocktail machine at my friend's house when I was there for a Cub Scout meeting. I was blown away that someone had an arcade machine in their house.

Some rear-projection racing game at (I think) the Redondo Beach, CA pier. It had a crash picture that scared me as a kid. I think the fiery engine looked like a burning body or something. Don't know what that game was, but I'm now feeling compelled to find out!

Asteroids... again at a beach arcade. Died pretty quickly, but it made a very positive impression on me. Now that I think about it, I still suck at that game.

dumbyugi

I remember watching my Dad play Sonic 1 when I was 2 or 3. The first game I remember playing myself was Kirby's Dreamland when I was 3 going on 4.

mothball

The first one I ever saw was also the first one I ever played, Rodent's Revenge on my mom's Win 3.1 machine when I was 2.

Zimbardo

it was either Pong or possibly a game from Sega called 'Killer Shark' ...which was also shown in the trailer for Jaws.

the first game i really remember playing at an arcade was Space Invaders ...and i was so small that my father had to hold me up so i could reach the controls. :)

FOOTE

No. I do remember my parents being serious NES gamers when I was less than 5 years old. They had all sorts of games. :lol

I got a Genesis with Sonic 2 when I was 4 or 5, although I'm pretty sure I had at least seen someone playing a game before. I also played a lot on my dad's old Mac back then, but I can't remember what (some Broderbund mouse game? Amazing I still remember the company name after so along, considering how crappy my memory usually is) or even if it was before the Genesis.

SJRB

Gold Member
My mom likes to tell stories of how my dad was playing Pitfall on the Atari 2600 and when he'd fall in a pit and die I always cried because I didn't want my dad to die. Videogame immersion man, part of life since the earliest years.

I was only a little kid, I remember the game but I cannot remember the title.

Commodore 64 [or Atari? I'm having doubts now haha]. It was a two-toned game [I think?] where you play either a knight or an archer, it was one-screen stage based [no scrolling] and it had an Frankenstein-esque setting and I thought it was creepy.

Leflus

My earliest memory is probably Super Mario World on the SNES. The game clicked with me from day 1.

My father bought the SNES and the game for my sister and I as a shared birthday present. Iirc, we were on vacation in Denmark and Germany at the time.

Probably some N64 game when I was at my friend's house when I was like 3.

I think I probably made some people here feel old....

Something on the Commodore 64 my dad brought home when I was 5. I know that much, we got a NES that Christmas. Ice Climber was my first play.

Top Bottom