• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you remember the very first time you ever saw a video game?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
1979, Asteroids machine in Farrell's in San Mateo, CA. Even at the time, I knew that "TV you can control" was going to be important.

I'm pretty sure it was this, which was in a local mall:

118124218469.jpg

Turbo_-_1981_-_Sega.jpg

probably sometime in the mid 80's, I think.

Nakor

It was either a friends greyscale pokemon game, or a game where you guided soldiers or worms or something to the exit by doing stuff :| i dont have the best memory, anyone know what I'm talking about?

Dawg

I'm thinking Joe & Mac myself

joe-mac-caveman-ninja-gameboy-g-boy-005_m.jpg

Ah yes. Makes more sense.

To be honest, I actually think it is the game in the video. It's certainly not Joe & Mac. I'm not 100% sure about the game in the video but looking at related videos, there's also a black/white version and that one rings a bell. Especially the music.

It was a game without color, that much I know. It probably is that adventure game, although I keep thinking it's a similar but slightly different game :p

It was my brother playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES, which is actually one of my first memories of anything. I also remember him not letting me play. -_-

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
1984, saw a Commodore 64 advert on a comic book with pictures from the 1942 game. Love at first sight and practically forced my parents to buy me one the very same week. That's how it all started :)

My first memory involving a video game was Ultima 4 for the Atari 800 in 1986. I was 4 years old at the time. I loved playing it with my dad even though I had no idea what was going on at the time =P

To answer the OP, I'm not sure exactly what game is was, but I remember being very "meh" about it. The appeal of games grew on me the more I played.

OmarLexus

The first video game I ever witnessed was Super Mario Bros. for NES on a tiny black and white television. I was just 4 years old when my older brother came home with an NES Action Set high on his shoulders in 1990 and my mind was blown when I finally saw world 1-2 and the goombas were blue.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the first ever game I saw, but the first game I can actually remember seeing was the Atari 2600 version of Dig-Dug.

It was either a friends greyscale pokemon game, or a game where you guided soldiers or worms or something to the exit by doing stuff :| i dont have the best memory, anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's not much to go on, but pretty much anytime somebody describes a game as being about guiding things to an exit I assume Lemmings.

Nakor

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the first ever game I saw, but the first game I can actually remember seeing was the Atari 2600 version of Dig-Dug.

It's not much to go on, but pretty much anytime somebody describes a game as being about guiding things to an exit I assume Lemmings.

It was Lemmings :)

It must have been the SNES my father bought, he played the Super Mario World that came with it. He was showing it to absolutely everyone and we were all impressed. We had DKC too

Was 5, I think.

EDIT: It must have been something else, but I simply can't remember anything before that.

iJudged

Banned
This, at a friends house. A few months later I went over there and they'd just got a C64, Hover Bovver was on the screen. My jaw was on the floor.

hah C64, awesome memories. Head adjustment and cassette loading games, OMG SYNTAX ERROR...nightmares lol, love it.

I think I was 2 or 3 years old. I watched my older sister play frogger on the 2600. Don't think she's touched a video game ever since.

Milennia

The youngest i remember ever seeing a game was probably around 4-5 when i would play street fighter/streets of rage on my snes... Honestly cant remember much up until my ps1/n64 days as well as going over to my neighbors house as he was the only person i knew that had a saturn so i could play sonic.

Man streets of rage was great.
Also donkey kong country, but i was terrible.

I remember when I was like 3 hiding, and watching my babysitter, and her husband play Pole Position. Oh my god I was mesmerized. I have never stopped playing games since.

PsionBolt

I'm not absolutely positive it was the first, but the one that immediately comes to mind is this:

Uvz8D0d.png

Atari Empire Strikes Back. I couldn't figure this thing out at all back in the day... I'd like to try it again sometime.

I dont remember the name, but I had always grown up with computers in my house(born 87) and I think the very first game was an educational one involving a seal and a ball. It was on an old Amstrad computer.

First console game was most likely Mario on the NES at a friends or cousins house.

By around the age of 6 I defo had video games on my mind and got a SNES with allstars around that age.

Rafterman

Banned
It was Christmas of '77 and my parents bought my older brother a 2600. He didn't like video games so he gave me the console. This is the game that came with it, was the first I ever played, and it was glorious.

Combat32_in_1AtariPAL.png

SaviorX

I don't remember what came first, but the year was most likely 1996.

I think a cousin let us use a Nintendo. Our parents never liked "tic tac toe" but allowed us to play once they saw how quiet we were once engaged with it.

Super C, Super Mario Bros/ Duck Hunt, and Teenage Mutant Ninja hard-as-shit turtles. Super C was so dope. We thought we were playing as swarchzeneggar and Stallone.Then this wondrous Game Boy showed up with gas guzzling batteries and had Bonks revenge and Tetris. It was just Nintendo, my computer spelling game, and watching Martin. Mostly All I remember.

First 16 bit experience was all sega Saturn. Legend of oasis, virtual fighter, virtual cop, VECTORMAN, and that terrible Aerosmith game.

Cyrus_Saren

I do. I remember watching my sister play Super Mario World. At the time, I never even wanted to play; I just enjoyed watching her play. Eventually, though, I started sneaking into her room and playing it when she was at school or hanging out with friends.

CLEEK

I was born in 1975. My parents had a home Pong machine, which is my earliest exposure to games. I grew up in a seaside resort town, so had plenty of arcades. Arcade games were everywhere then as well, with pubs, fish & chip shops and other places often having a cab or two in the corner. So I saw (but didn't play) all the earlier arcade games like Space Invaders, Defender, Asteroids and Pac-Man.

Outside of the aforementioned home Pong machine, my parents bought a VIC-20 in 1981 when I was 6. The first game I ever played was Blue Meanies. The VIC-20 was the real kick start to my life long love affair of games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byM5vh3mzfA

Sobriquet

It was Christmas of '77 and my parents bought my older brother a 2600. He didn't like video games so he gave me the console. This is the game that came with it, was the first I ever played, and it was glorious.

Combat32_in_1AtariPAL.png

This is what I was going to post, except the Atari was for me. I don't have siblings. :D

Griss

I distinctly remember my parents getting a NES and my dad playing SMB1. He'd only play after I went to bed, and I would always sneak out of my room and hide behind this indoor tree we had and watch the screen from like 20 feet away. He never got the hang of it and never made it past 1-4. That was the end of videogames for him.

I begged and begged to be allowed play but they wouldn't let me for months. I must have been around 4 or 5, I'd say. That Christmas they bought me The Legend of Zelda and allowed me to play it for the first time.

I will never forget that game.

Nope. I've been playing computer games (as I knew them then) for as long as I can remember.

Putt-putt. So much Putt-putt. I don't think I ever did recover all of the things he lost in that god-forsaken time-machine.

Top Bottom