• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you still consider the Halo Master Chief Collection to be a scam?

E92 M3

This is a problem with 343 Industries, there are a lot of things the company does. They make books, comics and lots of mixed media products, and they also make games. 343's name is all over Halo Wars 2, but they didn't develop that game. MCC was developed by many 3rd party developers, a lot of them were silent developers, who we didn't know about until many months later.

As supervisors of multiple Halo projects, it's their responsibility to make sure everything is done. They purposely deceived us by claiming this game will let us relive all of our Halo memories perfectly.

What we got was a hot turd and the fact some of you are justifying it further increases the problem.

danmaku

It was a scam and there should've been lawsuits about it. Sadly, nothing happened so we'll keep getting broken games and deceiving marketing.

shoreu

This. It's a scam in that it was advertised as being a way to play the old Halo games online with playlists.

Shit didn't work a single time for me. Just stayed searching forever.

343 name on the box and they were the ones doing the publicity for it at E3 and in previews.
I get what your saying but they didn't develope it.

RPG

No, but I'm prolly an outlier given that I bought it with the MCC/Halo 5 bundle last year and was my first time playing the series.

Ascenion

Well, it was made by a whole bunch of developers. If I remember correctly...

Certain Affinity: Halo 2 Anniversary, Multiplayer
Ruffian Games: Halo 4
Saber Interactive: Halo Anniversary, Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 3
Blur Studio: Halo 2 Anniversary cutscenes
United Front Games: Unified UI

343 pulled it all together and handled the backend. They are ultimately responsible.

Waaaaaaay too many cooks in the kitchen. No surprise it was half baked. MCC is the biggest missed opportunity of the generation.

Kill3r7

Digital preorder here. So I was extremely disappointed with it but I got a few of my friends a copy from CDKeys and we have been playing through the games whenever we are in the mood for Halo. It is a decent product today but still such a massive letdown from what it should have been.

iMax

Certain Affinity only made the remastered H2A maps and had literally nothing to do with the faulty networking/UI layer. Those were made externally, but not by CA and regardless it was 100% our responsibility. The issues were caused by a cascading combination of problems including faulty assumptions about code behaviors in retail rather than test environments, bad "ticket" tracking information and a number of other even more baroque issues. And yes I still owe people a technical explanation and I will provide the best one I'm able/permitted to at some point. That point, for a number of reasons beyond my control, is not now.

How is the MCC now, Stinkles? Been a while since I played it but from 343's perspective, is it now operating at a stable level?

robotrock

Banned
I bought it on launch and played through four mediocre halo campaigns for the first time. totally worth the price of admission

I had completely written off this game because of what people had said about it, but after I got my Xbox one this last Christmas and my brother lent me a copy, I played it and it was totally fine. I didn't really have any major problems and have had a blast with it

One of the biggest blunders of the Xbox One that's gaming related. Almost got me to buy the machine, because having all Halos in one place would be amazing. Yet they fucked it up.

Really, really sad situation.

Maybe they release another Halo collection in the future gens that isn't fucked up, Halo Anthology or whatever.

Certain Affinity only made the remastered H2A maps and had literally nothing to do with the faulty networking/UI layer. Those were made externally, but not by CA and regardless it was 100% our responsibility. The issues were caused by a cascading combination of problems including faulty assumptions about code behaviors in retail rather than test environments, bad "ticket" tracking information and a number of other even more baroque issues. And yes I still owe people a technical explanation and I will provide the best one I'm able/permitted to at some point. That point, for a number of reasons beyond my control, is not now.

Master Chief Collection on PC/Scorpio patch with Halo Reach remastered available this holiday confirmed!

watership

As supervisors of multiple Halo projects, it's their responsibility to make sure everything is done. They purposely deceived us by claiming this game will let us relive all of our Halo memories perfectly.

What we got was a hot turd and the fact some of you are justifying it further increases the problem.

Wait wait.. I'm not justifying it. It was a hot broken mess, at launch. But the core developers at 343 have never made a buggy, shitty game. Some may have issues with the multiplayer in Halo 4, or dislike the campaign in Halo 5, but those are technically excellent performing games and not buggy messes. And yes, it was still 343's responsibility. They never shied away or denied that.

I just keep wishing there was more distinction. If there was something called 343 industries, that controlled the group, and 343 publishing that make the outsourced games, and 343 Media that make the books/comics/videos, and then 343 Core that made the games, people could direct their hatred better :)

tmac456

It was the main reason I bought an x1. It was also the main reason my friends bought an x1. We bought it for multiplayer so yeah, not real thrilled. The scan was them talking up every patch like it would fix it. Also the alleged dedicated servers.

And yeah the failure of Frankie to not keep his promise to explain what happened is still a joke.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
"Scam" is some hyperbole for sure

They knowingly sold a product the knew to be faulty and did their best to avoid this being made known to the buying public prior to launch. What do you call that?

Scam implies a certain deliberacy in trying to decieve the consumer and the handling of the reviews implies that much.

Compare it to something like Driveclub where insufficient testing allowed an undetched fault with the netcode to pass QA is at worst incompetancy. What happened with HMCC seems considerably more conniving.

Mp was certainly shotty and fucking frustrating for the first couple months, i remember being really dissapointed about not being able to play mp for a very long time but i still have combined across the four games 300 hours of multiplayer because when it worked it was just great halo multiplayer. Thankfully halo 5 was a massive step up with net code and the beta testing helped. I dont think ms will be making a mistake on this scale again with one of their core franchises (hopefully)

SirNinja

How is selling a broken game not a scam lol? I never got refunded and the multiplayer didn't work as they advertised.

That's not a scam?

No, it isn't.

A "scam" implies a baseline intention by a product's maker to deliberately mislead the people they're selling it to. If you put MCC in your Xbox and all it turned out to be was, e.g., a cheap Tetris clone, that would be a scam. The developers had every intention of releasing the game with all its advertised features, but it didn't happen. If you seriously think the developers wanted the game to be a big mess at launch and afterward, I really don't know what to say to that.

Gestault

For people looking for the improved, unified multiplayer experience that they were promoting, it was basically an unmitigated disaster. For people looking for campaign/co-op, even in its launch state, it was a solid deal (with caveates). Particularly with the bonus ODST as apology for launch players.

Gwyn

Yep still salty about MCC

I really don't understand 343 and in general the xbox team...phil spencer or the ones responsible for that shit
I heard so many times from MS "halo is what made xbox what it is today...", yet here we are they give 0 shit about halo history.
Also we heard that halo is "5 billion or whatever franchise" and you can't spare couple millions to fix it? I really don't get it...

I mean what's the worse case scenario about fixing MCC?
Just throw some money or even start again from scratch and give it for free to people that bought it

What i want but probably never get:
Patch MCC
Add H3A and Reach in MCC
Release it on PC
Scorpio 4k

Also to OP i don't think it was scam more about rushed job

Also kind of off topic...but the fact that they(xbox team) spent 40 million on a fable game no one asked for yet leave MCC in that state triggers me even more

yeah, I don't think its a scam I doubt 343/MS went in knowing the mp was a broken mess. They just assumed a contracted dev knew what they were doing and didn't bother doing a large beta test. Well, that blew up hard in their face, ala Driveclub. I have no idea if they ever really fixed it or not, I assume not.

I even bought the game at launch (physical), played a bit and traded it in and rebought digitall when it was like $10 a year down the road. I found the SP just fine, so from that perspective I got my money.

It did lead them to creating a huge public beta test for Halo 5 and presumably future MP games so that was good at least.

Uhh no? "Still"? The matchmaking was shit, and that is unfortunate. But issues were resolved later on and nobody stuck around to play it. It's still the best way to play Halo with friends. Lots of stuff to do, you can really kill an hour on MCC. I mean, just the idea, of having all of those games AND their multiplayer actually happening is something I never expected. It doesn't work like I imagined, but it's still manageable!

spootime

No, it isn't.

A "scam" implies a baseline intention by a product's maker to deliberately mislead the people they're selling it to. If you put MCC in your Xbox and all it turned out to be was, e.g., a cheap Tetris clone, that would be a scam. The developers had every intention of releasing the game with all its advertised features, but it didn't happen. If you seriously think the developers wanted the game to be a big mess at launch and afterward, I really don't know what to say to that.

If developers advertise a product as having features they know that it doesnt have then it is a scam. If someone sold you a red ringed xbox 360 they said was brand new, what would you consider that? Its about the purposeful misrepresentation of their product. They even tricked the journalists covering the game into thinking it was working correctly.

Apathy

The reviews were held in a closed off environment to give the press a false impression that the games worked. So yes I still consider it a scam.

This is actually a really good point . Cause a lot of people bought it off the positive reviews but did not receive what they were told in those reviews, even people that waited for reviews to buy the game.

I didn't get my money's worth for sure. Expected better and was let down. I really have to say that it took the wind out of my sails in regards to the franchise overall. I was really pissed because I purchased my Xbox just to play it. Couldn't get into matches for months, couldn't even do online co-op with my pal. Needless to say, we both weren't too enthusiastic about 5 because of it.

dieter

Neo Member
I got it for the campaigns and played through all of them in coop with 2-4 of my friends, never had any problems. It was amazing value for me, even though I understand that someone buying it just for multiplayer with matchmaking might not feel the same way.

I think the fact that the matchmaking issues were never fixed is what leaves people sour. And honestly, I don't blame them. As a first party Microsoft title, it's embarrassing that it's still in such a poor state.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I enjoyed it for being able to replay the single player campaigns. Though in hindsight I wish they would've used the original Halo for the campaign as opposed to Halo: Anniversary.

I never jumped into multiplayer because of how split the user base was between all the titles and instead just played Halo 5.

E92 M3

Wait wait.. I'm not justifying it. It was a hot broken mess, at launch. But the core developers at 343 have never made a buggy, shitty game. Some may have issues with the multiplayer in Halo 4, or dislike the campaign in Halo 5, but those are technically excellent performing games and not buggy messes. And yes, it was still 343's responsibility. They never shied away or denied that.

I just keep wishing there was more distinction. If there was something called 343 industries, that controlled the group, and 343 publishing that make the outsourced games, and 343 Media that make the books/comics/videos, and then 343 Core that made the games, people could direct their hatred better :)

If their name is on the box, it's their responsibility as far as I'm concerned. Don't put your name on products you don't believe in then.

No excuses.

No, it isn't.

The developers had every intention of getting the holiday cash. How is selling a game with BROKEN multiplayer not a scam? They specifically advertised the multiplayer and it's the reason many bought it.

VDenter

Banned
Not really surprised it ended up being a mess considering they had to launch it in time for the Halo 2 anniversary. Online was and still is a mess. but at the very least the Campaigns were as good as one would hope for. So no its not a scam just a horrible disappointment. If you are a player who never cared about the online multiplayer portion in Halo then this might be a fantastic package for some.

What i want but probably never get:
Patch MCC
Add H3A and Reach in MCC
Release it on PC
Scorpio 4k

Also to OP i don't think it was scam more about rushed job

I don't think Halo 3 Anniversary is really necessary as it looks good enough and runs well to me, but all that other stuff NEEDS to happen. MS is leaving money on the table by not releasing this on PC, and it'll give them a chance to fix some stuff and have another Scorpio update to highlight.

Scam? No; but a terrible product.

The game still does not work properly. Fans wanted the original three games with working online multiplayer. Instead we got bad ports of the PC versions of the games which had several differences from the console games. The product should have been recalled and relaunched. Honestly I have no idea how it even made it through testing.

Original three games plus Reach with a launcher to switch in between them battlefield 1/4 style would have been much better. No universal UI to worry about.

Still pretty bad that 343 hasn't properly addressed the situation. Honestly no idea why Phil never addressed it either.

http://www.halobugs.com/
The game is far from "Fine" as some people who say it is

And that's just 1 of the 4 games not to mention the UI etc.

Thanks Frankie. As a fan of the series and a dev lead myself I want to understand what lessons can be learned out of personal and professional curiosity.

Woffls

I played hundreds of hours of single player campaign from day one and have encountered very few issues. Money well spent, and I still intend to revisit occasionally.

Caayn

Scam? No, that word carries a lot more weight. Serious lack of QA? Now those are the words you're looking for.

m23

The multiplayer was a mess. I was able to play matches when I wanted to for the most part but that required a lot of patience. Had trouble partying up with friends, finding matches, UI issues etc.

The campaigns and coop were fine though.

I still think it was worth day 1 because I got to replay all the games in 1080p60 but for people who only wanted it for the mp, it was terrible.

I wouldn't go so far as calling it a scam.

RowdyReverb

I enjoyed my time with the game. Spent more time in it than other $60 titles I've purchased. The campaigns always ran great and the local split screen multiplayer was fun. They even got the online multiplayer working pretty well after a couple months of work and I had a good time playing with other people from GAF

I love campaigns just as much as multiplayer so I always got my $60 worth.

And I think people overstate how "broken" the game still is. I mean, it's held together by bandages and Elmer's glue sure, but it still gets the job done most of the time nowadays.

The only dodgy part of the collection I truly hate is how it keeps resetting my MP achievement progress. I'll never get some of those since my progress keeps being lost...

Top Bottom