• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you still consider the Halo Master Chief Collection to be a scam?

Caayn

2759553-ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
I wish that more interviewers/journalist dare to ask these kind of questions.

It worked perfectly fine by the time I played it around a year or so after release. I don't know what the fuck your're talking about, OP. Scam? Christ, talk about hyperbole. They had issues that lots of over games have had.

You wanna talk scams? Talk about No Man's Sky.
Truth!! Especially about NMS.

Certain Affinity only made the remastered H2A maps and had literally nothing to do with the faulty networking/UI layer. Those were made externally, but not by CA and regardless it was 100% our responsibility. The issues were caused by a cascading combination of problems including faulty assumptions about code behaviors in retail rather than test environments, bad "ticket" tracking information and a number of other even more baroque issues. And yes I still owe people a technical explanation and I will provide the best one I'm able/permitted to at some point. That point, for a number of reasons beyond my control, is not now.

Hey Frankie!
Is there any chances to have a last update to MCC? (for scorpio maybe?) At least for the playlist; I would love to play Halo CE at 4vs4 and more often BTB for H2.
Do you think it's manageable regarding the population of MCC to have 4VS4 & 8vs8 playlist for each games with diverse gametypes as vote option? Because right now MCC is only an H3 machine and while I love H3 I would love to play a bit more of other games.

CE:
4vs4
8vs8

H2 + H2A:
4vs4
8vs8

H3:
4vs4
8vs8

H4:
4vs4
8vs8

Just if we could have a definitive answer about any update or not for MCC would be nice. I still consider MCC as the best collection ever made for fans, yes it has issues but damn the whole package is incredible.

LowSignal

I never thought of it as a scam. Single player was great but still it was disappointing that it was never fixed to where multiplayer worked as intended.

TrounceX

Absolutely it was a scam. How anyone disagrees with this is baffling to me. The game simply DID NOT WORK at launch. This is not hyperbole, it literally didn't work.

Broken product, false advertising, half a dozen updates that did nothing or made it worse. Finally it works ok after like 6 months but is still unacceptably riddled with bugs.

How is this anything but a scam? What other product but a video game can ship broken without there being a recall or mass refund? Imagine a company shipping a phone that doesn't make phone calls! This is the situation, they shipped a Halo game where the multiplayer didn't work.

Not to mention when it did work, it's not even halo 2 for Xbox, it was the PC port. Huge fucking difference. I could go on and on.

Jesus Christ I get so heated talking about MCC.

SpartanN92

Banned
It worked perfectly fine by the time I played it around a year or so after release. I don't know what the fuck your're talking about, OP. Scam? Christ, talk about hyperbole. They had issues that lots of over games have had.

You wanna talk scams? Talk about No Man's Sky.

I think you're the one who doesn't have a clue what you are talking about... you just said you didn't play the game at launch (almost a year later you picked it up) so you weren't there for months and months of bugs, glitches, crashes, baby step updates, and terrible communication over a nearly unplayable game.

No you are definitely the one who has no fucking clue because you weren't there.
So what if it works now? It ruined the population of the game and greatly harmed the brand.

Cranster

Banned
It's not a scam per say but it was a disappointment at launch with how much of a mess it was. There are still issues with the game but overall it is definitely worth a purchase today as matchmaking is fairly consistent and the game rarely crashes.

Certain Affinity only made the remastered H2A maps and had literally nothing to do with the faulty networking/UI layer. Those were made externally, but not by CA and regardless it was 100% our responsibility. The issues were caused by a cascading combination of problems including faulty assumptions about code behaviors in retail rather than test environments, bad "ticket" tracking information and a number of other even more baroque issues. And yes I still owe people a technical explanation and I will provide the best one I'm able/permitted to at some point. That point, for a number of reasons beyond my control, is not now.
I do hope that a actual fully working version is relaunched at some point (at no charge to current owners of the collection). I think that would help gain support and fans back after that fiasco.

E92 M3

Absolutely it was a scam. How anyone disagrees with this is baffling to me. The game simply DID NOT WORK at launch. This is not hyperbole, it literally didn't work.

Broken product, false advertising, half a dozen updates that did nothing or made it worse. Finally it works ok after like 6 months but is still unacceptably riddled with bugs.

How is this anything but a scam? What other product but a video game can ship broken without there being a recall or mass refund? Imagine a company shipping a phone that doesn't make phone calls! This is the situation, they shipped a Halo game where the multiplayer didn't work.

Not to mention when it did work, it's not even halo 2 for Xbox, it was the PC port. Huge fucking difference. I could go on and on.

EXACTLY. They release a broken game:

"It's not a scam, you scrub. Learn what a scam is."

What? I never considered it a scam in the first place. Paying $60 to have access to the campaigns for Halo 1-4 felt like an incredible value to me. That they even attempted the multiplayer stuff felt like an insane value.

However, if you bought in solely for the multiplayer I guess I could see how you'd be annoyed. Personally, I had no real interest in re-visiting those games online so I only played a few times. Never had any issues when I did.

mcrommert

Banned
It's not a scam per say but it was a disappointment at launch with how much of a mess it was. There are still issues with the game but overall it is definitely worth a purchase today as matchmaking is fairly consistent and the game rarely crashes.

I do hope that a actual fully working version is relaunched at some point (at no charge to current owners of the collection). I think that would help gain support and fans back after that fiasco.

Every 6 months my mind goes here - first I heard about a pc version which never materialized... And now with Scorpio I think this would be a great time for a overhaul with 4k

Dont go here... There is only heartbreak

Hurts even more with Halo 5 being so good 🙁

Less a scam, more a colossal fuck up that severely damaged the series reputation.

The 1-2 punch that was Halo 4 followed by MCC was what fully damaged 343's rep for me. I've become so unweary of all their future products despite Halo 5's MP being good and enjoying their take on Halo Wars 2

Phloxy

This would probably still have huge numbers if they hadn't completely ruined the launch of what should have been the feel good game of the holiday for Xbox that year.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
As someone who doesn't do multiplayer, it would have been perfectly fine by me as I would have only been interested in the campaigns.

It contains the best versions of 2 of the top 3 FPS campaigns in history, so by default it's the best piece of software available on Xbox One.

I played this for hundreds of hours. I loved playing it, but it still disappoints me to this day of how broken it was. It was a really sad, squandered opportunity.

mcrommert

Banned
Dont forget features still missing, like Assault, oddball, 1 flag, etc.
Assault exists along with oddball in the ball game system

343 does not have reproduce every game type that has ever existed in halo

Good for them too because otherwise I would be more upset at the loss of juggernaut

PeterGAF

Banned
I just have higher standards for $60 products from MULTIBILLION dollar companies.

lol at the "I guess I just have higher standards than all of you" comment. Stop jerking yourself off, you're not better than anyone else.

There is nothing wrong with having high standards. You should have high standards for a $60 halo game(s). Everyone had high hopes for this game, and we were all very disappointed in how it launched and how long it took 343 and Microsoft to bring the game's multiplayer to a playable state. MCC got railed hard and it deserved all of the criticism it received.

This thread isn't about whether or not MCC was a let down. It absolutely was. It's pretty much a fact. Instead this thread is about whether or not the MCC was a scam. A scam would have intent, and I can't imagine that 343 or Microsoft intended to release MCC in a broken state as a quick "take the money and run" scheme. They're too big and the PR hit would be too bad.

Navy Bean

Really bad campaign with an OK multiplayer, but the game suffers from aiming issues that haven't been resolved.

--

Also, just because you bought it for campaign and not MP doesn't mean it's not a scam anymore. Half the product "working" isn't some excuse.

So how long exactly did you suffer this "scam" before getting a refund?

I never felt like it was as scam, I just felt that they massively underestimated the realities of bundling so many different games together under a uniform U.I. and let the cart get ahead of the horse so to speak. I bought it day 1 and had my fun with it. Put it down and came back a few months later and had my fun with it still.

I lost my Xbone in a fire, but when I eventually replace the one I lost with a Scorpio I plan on re downloading it and enjoying it with my buddies again.

Van Bur3n

I wouldn't go so far as to dramatically call it a scam or false advertising. I don't think they deliberately tried to mislead consumers into buying a shoddy product. We're it truly false advertising, there would have been a serious case going for it.

However, that's not the case. It launched poorly and it remained in such a state for a ridiculous amount of time. A massive disappointment and they deserve all the flak they get for their incompetence, but not the devil slapping your mother as it's made out to be.

That said, I was incredibly disappointed in the poor multiplayer, but I got a lot out of playing through all the Halo campaigns again all in one game. If anyone has any interest in playing Halo for the first time, the MC is the best experience for it.

Some tinfoil hat theory but the only reason imo why MCC is not fixed yet if ever is because it doesn't have microtransactions

They need to find a way to add MTs so it will get approved by higher ups within MS and release the game for free obviously so they can get something back for fixing it

Every major AAA game released from MS has them:

Halo 5 req packs
Gears 4 loot crates
Forza 6 and horizon 3 have multiple car packs + more (expansions etc)
Killer Instinct seasons/skins

So if they ever find a way to add skins or more customization options then they will probably fix it and release it on PC too

And i bet Sea of thieves/Crackdown/State of Decay will have MTs aswell this year
Yeah. And probably for the Scorpio launch as well.

thecrunked

From Merrian Webster
Definition of scam
: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation an insurance scam
The game was advertised to have online matching matchmaking; if you bought the game for that reason you were deceived. Comments like "well i bought it for campaign so no" are pointless. I bought it primarily for online mulitplayer which remains unplayable. I really only bought the xbox one for the MCC collection, I was so salty over the garbage mcc release that I never bought halo 5 and eventually sold my xbone. I disliked reach (despite logging hundreds of hours and having a l33t pwnage level kd ratio) and absolutely hated halo 4 so im totally out on the series. maybe one day if 343 drops it.

Kadin

The entire game didn't work as you're implying? Of course not. A portion of the game was broken. I played with a friend via co-op just fine at launch.

I don't think I've ever seen an OP work so hard to defend himself even though it's proven time and time again the word scam is used incorrectly in this example. Shipping a game with a part of it not working is not intentionally deceiving people and committing some type of fraud. The games been working fine for me and my friends for a long time now.

The_Dama

I still play MCC but the game is a fucking disgrace to Halo. MS, 343 and whoever else worked on this game need to come out and tell us what the fuck happened. The game did not work at all on lunch day and a few months after that. It still barley works. They dont even acknowledge the existence of MCC.

They knew the game was not ready but MS needed something for the holidays and it just happened to be Halo 2s anniversary. So they always used that excuse why it was released that early.

E92 M3

lol at the "I guess I just have higher standards than all of you" comment. Stop jerking yourself off, you're not better than anyone else.

There is nothing wrong with having high standards. You should have high standards for a $60 halo game(s). Everyone had high hopes for this game, and we were all very disappointed in how it launched and how long it took 343 and Microsoft to bring the game's multiplayer to a playable state. MCC got railed hard and it deserved all of the criticism it received.

This thread isn't about whether or not MCC was a let down. It absolutely was. It's pretty much a fact. Instead this thread is about whether or not the MCC was a scam. A scam would have intent, and I can't imagine that 343 or Microsoft intended to release MCC in a broken state as a quick "take the money and run" scheme. They're too big and the PR hit would be too bad.

And how do you know they didn't haven intent to make cash money during the holidays? The multiplayer was BROKEN and you're claiming it wasn't a scam?

Shut the front (and back) door.

So how long exactly did you suffer this "scam" before getting a refund?

For a half hour before it wasn't worth wasting my time trying to get a refund.

Gator86

This is along the lines of where I fall too. It was absolutely a complete fuck up, but a fuck up that happened for the reasons things go south when you have giant organizations working on a complex product. I consider scams something like No Man's Sky where they had a small team that knew they were selling something that doesn't exist. When your studio head is telling people not to read reviews or pre-release coverage of a game because it will spoil the secrets, of which there were none, you know you it's a scam.

The only way I can categorize it for myself is that it was by far the most frustrating experience I have ever had trying to play a video game online. I can't even think of anything that was remotely close to it. It was a broken mess that did not deserve to see the light of day in the state it was in, felt like a huge slap in the face from Microsoft to it's consumers and to the Halo series. I still cannot fathom how you release something like this in your number 1 franchise in this sorry of a state.

spootime

The entire game didn't work as you're implying? Of course not. A portion of the game was broken. I played with a friend via co-op just fine at launch.

I don't think I've ever seen an OP work so hard to defend himself even though it's proven time and time again the word scam is used incorrectly in this example. Shipping a game with a part of it not working is not intentionally deceiving people and committing some type of fraud. The games been working fine for me and my friends for a long time now.

Right. OPs argument is that they did know it was broken and shipped it anyway. Personally I don't possibly see how they couldnt have known this game was broken.

mcrommert

Banned
From Merrian Webster
The game was advertised to have online matching matchmaking. I bought it primarily for online mulitplayer which remains unplayable. I really only bought the xbox one for the MCC collection, I was so salty over the garbage mcc release that I never bought halo 5 and eventually sold my xbone. I disliked reach (despite logging hundreds of hours and having a l33t pwnage level kd ratio) and absolutely hated halo 4 so im totally out on the series. maybe one day if 343 drops it.

e88bbece274835f07586725e11f2ddbd_-ew-gross-animated-gif-gif-ew-gross_200-150.gif

gweemz

Assault exists along with oddball in the ball game system

343 does not have reproduce every game type that has ever existed in halo

Good for them too because otherwise I would be more upset at the loss of juggernaut

No way to play assault in the playlists unless its a playlist type they choose to give us. It's annoying playing team arena and only having slayer, strongholds, and 2 flag ctf. Also theres no team objective gametype, even as a social playlist.

I can't speak for what goes on in another's mind and whether this was a scam or not but it was a botch of the highest order and one i think that came from up top.

What we know was that an anniversary edition of Halo 2 was in the works. Months before it's supposed leaked date, Spencer comes out and announces all games are included. My feeling is, rightly or wrongly, Phil wanted to come out swinging and in the last minute delegated teams to include the other games. Had the focus been centered squarely around Halo 2, this whole thing would have been avoided.

From a brand standpoint, it was disappointing on such a high level. You do not rush a project such as a Master Chief Collection.

Top Bottom