• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

do you think a lion could fuck up a grizzly bear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artdayne

I had this discussion at work a couple months ago and nobody really made a great argument for either:

wolf vs trained pitbull

who wins?

somebody will post the terrible rapper

A wolf would destroy a pitbull. A male grey wolf ranges from 66-180 lbs vs a male pitbull that weighs 35-65 lbs. So they are anywhere from twice to about three times the size. I don't think a pitbull has any appreciable advantage in speed and its not like a cat which has much superior agility and claws as weapons. I don't think a pitbull would stand a chance unless it got a bit of a lucky bite in on its throat.

Agremont

Yep. Lions historically have beat up tigers. Tigers are solitary creatures that rarely get into skirmishes, make lions are built to eat, fuck and fight... All tgeyre good for.

From what I've read, they're fairly even matched depending a bit on what type of tiger.

I remember watching a video on Grizzlies and their strength and it showed them casually knocking over dumpsters and boulders with the backs of their paws

S.Holmes

Banned
Anyone watch the lion whisperer aka Kevin Richardson ? He got a channel up on youtube and it's glorious. Astonishing to see the individuals (lions, tigers) up close all with different personalities.

Tigress

Nah. Grizzly can take SO much more abuse than a tiger can, and dish out more. Tigers are definitely the baddest cat out there, and stand a better chance than any vs a grizzly, but its attacks would be much more mitigated by the bear's thick hide and fur while the grizzly's attacks would shatter a tiger's bones and rip straight into it. Maybe if the tiger stalked the bear and got the jump on it... Maybe. Bears are tough. Cats are not. They are just glass cannons. Bears are tanks.

This concludes my MMO role analysis of animal combat :p

Except cats have strategy. Tigers do hunt bears and kill them. But, we are talking grizzlies which are some of the bigger/stronger bears (and I think bigger than the ones local to tiger habitats). So that still makes it harder for the tiger even with hunting strategies.But they stalk and surprise and also are hard to pin down (very agile and can twist around on you even if you try to hold them down).

I think the most reasonable response I heard was if you let the tiger hunt naturally where the tiger can use his natural hunting instincts, good chance for the tiger (especially as tigers are obligate carnivores and must have good hunting skills to survive where bears hunt suplementally but do a lot of gathering so hunting doesn't need to be as strong a skill). But just stick them in an arena where it's a match of strength/power, bear wins. Anyways, don't mess with grizzlies, anything that can take on a tiger is nothing you want to mess with. And really don't mess with Polar Bears... (I'm pretty sure polar bear vs grizzly bear, polar bear wins).

Speely

Banned
Except cats have strategy. Tigers do hunt bears and kill them. But, we are talking grizzlies which are some of the bigger/stronger bears (and I think bigger than the ones local to tiger habitats). So that still makes it harder for the tiger even with hunting strategies.But they stalk and surprise and also are hard to pin down (very agile and can twist around on you even if you try to hold them down).

I think the most reasonable response I heard was if you let the tiger hunt naturally where the tiger can use his natural hunting instincts, good chance for the tiger (especially as tigers are obligate carnivores and must have good hunting skills to survive where bears hunt suplementally but do a lot of gathering so hunting doesn't need to be as strong a skill). But just stick them in an arena where it's a match of strength/power, bear wins.

Agreed. In an arena, it's a structured situation that favors the bear, who obviously has superior tools. In a natural setting, I would not put anything short of an elephant up against a tiger since they are so good at setting up vicious killing situations. The difference between them and other members of the Panthera genus is that they have immense strength combined with cunning. Other big cats (like jaguars) have the same cunning, but not the tiger's crazy strength, which makes them uniquely suited among cats to take down bigger prey that would otherwise be able to shrug off surprise big cat attacks. Tigers are on another level.

Mumei

Yep. Lions historically have beat up tigers. Tigers are solitary creatures that rarely get into skirmishes, make lions are built to eat, fuck and fight... All tgeyre good for.

I'm not sure this is right. At least, looking at the Wikipedia page for it gives me the impression that there's quite a bit of history of tigers killing lions in captivity.

\(I'm pretty sure polar bear vs grizzly bear, polar bear wins).

Perhaps if it actually came down to it, though polar bears tend to be rather submissive:

The scientists observed a total of 137 encounters between the two bear species, polar bears reacted submissively, even though the grizzlies did not obviously act aggressively toward them; in roughly 50 percent of the encounters, grizzlies displaced the polar bears completely, writes Rosen, even though, in Miller’s words, “they look like they’re about half the size of the polar bears.”

The reason why can perhaps be determined from differences in the two species’ behavior and ecology. Brown bears are naturally territorial, fiercely defending areas that have food and females from interlopers whose areas have less of either. Polar bears are not, given that they inhabit a constantly shifting mosaic of ice floes. Indeed, although polar bear males will occasionally cannibalize cubs, and older males will display dominance over younger ones should they converge at a kill, instances of intraspecific aggression in polar bears are rare — outside of mating season, when males will fight ferociously over females.

Markoman

Well, also depends on what time of the year the fight takes place.
A skinny summer Grizzly without the thick fur at least gives the lion a small chance
to get that throat bite. A Grizzly in full clothing though...

Grizzlies also tend to stand on their hindlegs when entering attack-mode.
This is a huge advantage, because they can deal more damage with their pawn swipes and the Lion is already in a lower ground position.

Next question: who would've won Muhammed Ali or Bruce Lee?
I'd say Bruce. He was one quick and clever motherfugger.

entremet

What type of Grizzlies are we talking about?

Because there's a huge difference between regular California grizzlies and Kodiak grizzlies.

Are people missing just how much bigger a Bear is than a Lion?

The size of adult lions varies across their range with those from the southern African populations in Zimbabwe, the Kalahari and Kruger Park averaging around 189.6 kg (418 lb) and 126.9 kg (280 lb) in males and females respectively compared to 174.9 kg (386 lb) and 119.5 kg (263 lb) of male and female lions from East Africa.[56]

Most adult female grizzlies weigh 130–180 kg (290–400 lb), while adult males weigh on average 180–360 kg (400–790 lb). Average total length in this subspecies is 198 cm (6.50 ft), with an average shoulder height of 102 cm (3.35 ft) and hindfoot length of 28 cm (11 in).[16] Newborn bears may weigh less than 500 grams (1.1 lb). In the Yukon River area, mature female grizzlies can weigh as little as 100 kg (220 lb). One study found that the average weight for an inland male grizzly was around 272 kilograms (600 lb) and the average weight for a coastal male was around 408 kilograms (900 lb). For a female, these average weights would be 136 kilograms (300 lb) inland and 227 kilograms (500 lb) coastal, respectively.[17] On the other hand, an occasional huge male grizzly has been recorded which greatly exceeds ordinary size, with weights reported up to 680 kg (1,500 lb).[18] A large coastal male of this size may stand up to 3 metres (9.8 ft) tall on its hind legs and be up to 1.5 metres (4.9 ft) at the shoulder.[19]

.JayZii

Banned
If my time playing a feral druid in WoW taught me anything, the lion would stun lock the bear after a stealth attack, stack some DoTs and end it with a finishing move after stacking 5 combo points.

Lmo911

I think this conversation suffers from the illusion that lions and tigers are "exotic" creatures and therefor plain ole local animals can't compare. You have to remember our animals look just as freaky to other cultures as their's are to us.

Bears are freaking huge and while you can spook them, if they want you dead it's gonna happen.

Bear vs Croc? Bear. Always bet on Bear until you run into truly heinous creatures like Hippos or stuff like Rhinos or Elephants.

Bear_56565d_2324540.gif

Kalentan

I hope you realize it's a man in a suit and a trained bear

Looks like a human dressed as a gorilla to me, don't gorillas have longer arms and shorter legs than that?

I was thinking it was a guy in a suit, but then I thought the bear might have broken their neck in an instant if it was just a human in a suit, but the movement seemed more human than gorilla and then I got confused. :/

I originally had in my post asking if it was a guy in a suit, but then second guessed myself and deleted it. I thought I would look dumb if I thought it was a guy in a suit if it wasn't. Guess I looked dumb either way. :(

I was thinking it was a guy in a suit, but then I thought the bear might have broken their neck in an instant if it was just a human in a suit, but the movement seemed more human than gorilla and then I got confused. :/

I originally had in my post asking if it was a guy in a suit, but then second guessed myself and deleted it. I thought I would look dumb if I thought it was a guy in a suit if it wasn't. Guess I looked dumb either way. :(

HA ha! *points*

I was confused too

Apt101

Seeing as grizzly bear corpses have been found with slugs in their skulls and multiple healed rifle wounds, I doubt an average lion could do enough damage to "defeat" it, but I'm sure one would be fast and powerful enough to scare it off.

ajim

A grizzly would destroy a lion. Like destroy.

The scariest creatures to me are great white sharks. Absolute nightmare material.

I think they're beautiful but the power they have and the teeth and the size of their mouths... Fuck me.

This isn't an answer, but I just remembered something my friend said in a job interview once. When the guy said if he had any questions, he replied with "who would win in a fight, a bear or 100 ducks?"

He got the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom