• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think a stronger competition from MS's part this gen will also boost Sony's exclusive games output and quality?

sublimit

Banned
Or did they reached their limit this gen?

In this current generation Sony's 1st/2nd party studios and collaborations had an insane output of 15 new IPs! And that is not even including small games like Resogun,Bound and others.

Driveclub
Knack
Bloodborne
The Order 1886
Until Dawn
Detroit Become Human
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush
The Last Guardian
Death Stranding
Astro Bot
Dreams
Concrete Genie
Days Gone
Ghost of Tsushima

But that's far from it. They also released some of the best and most favorably received sequels/remakes and reboots of all time. Spiderman,God of War,Ratchet & Clank,The Last of Us 2,Uncharted 4,Gran Turismo Sport,Shadow of the Colossus etc.

Having an output like that with zero competition from MS it's kinda crazy that Sony bothered to invest that much into their first party output.

But can they do more next gen with MS also (hopefully) raising their output or do you think they have reached their limit and we will see the same output next gen as well?

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I personally do not consider a game a true gaming IP, until it starts making sequels and give me the impression it's here to stay and prosper. Horizon for me, is an ip. Bloodborne and Detroit aren't.

And yes ms upping their game can only be seen as a good thing.

Bryank75

Banned
What PlayStation has done is build a relationship with their customers, consistently providing excellent games till the very end of the generation.

FFVIIR, Nioh 2, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams and Persona 5 Royal this year alone so far.

PlayStation gamers are going to be very loyal in 90% of cases. So I do not see Xbox upping their game as something that can take many customers away from PlayStation but Xbox can get more people to buy their system by making great exclusives.

So if XBox put in the work, they could get to 60 million or maybe even 70 million next gen.
But I think PS5 will be well over 100 million again, dunno how much over, depends how long the gen is.

I do hope it spurs PlayStation on, they were willing to buy a shit group of studios for over 1 billion when they could have bought Kadokawa for the same money and added loads of manga and From soft to PlaySTation studios.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Exclusives are completely counter to what gaming is about
It's extremely important to have exclusives, they are part of competition. Without PlayStation exclusives and Nintendo exclusives all games would be filled with microtransactions, unpolished and very exploitative.

They both literally save the industry every year by offering options to the consumers that are less predatory.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Healthy competition usually makes for better results yes.

It's in everybody's interest that Xbox Game Studios step up their game and start scoring points on those game of the year lists. It will be a boost to Xbox, to the industry, and will keep Sony invested.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
We're probably gonna get less from Sony and Microsoft this up coming gen, development cost and game complexity is increasing along with consumer expectations.

We got four games from Naughtydog on PS3, think about that for a second.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Just compare Sony during PS3 vs Sony during PS4, it's a night and day difference. So yeah, some serious competition would be welcome.

In this current generation Sony's 1st/2nd party studios and collaborations had an insane output of 15 new IPs! And that is not even including small games like Resogun,Bound and others.

Driveclub
Knack
Bloodborne
The Order 1886
Until Dawn
Detroit Become Human
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush
The Last Guardian
Death Stranding
Astro Bot
Dreams
Concrete Genie
Days Gone
Ghost of Tsushima

But that's far from it. They also released some of the best and most favorably received sequels/remakes and reboots of all time. Spiderman,God of War,The Last of Us 2,Uncharted 4,Gran Turismo Sport,Shadow of the Colossus etc.

Having an output like that with zero competition from MS it's kinda crazy that Sony bothered to invest that much into their first party output.

But can they do more next gen with MS also (hopefully) raising their output or do you think they have reached their limit and we will see the same output next gen as well?

Competition is always good and i hope that sony get back into the multiplayer focused titles as they are fun....ms pretty much owned this area this gen
i dont think its going to be a run away success like the ps4 this time around so hopefully we get some risks like they did with the ps2

MrS

Banned
We're probably gonna get less from Sony and Microsoft this up coming gen, development cost and game complexity is increasing along with consumer expectations.
1) Game prices are increasing which should offset some dev cost
2) Aren't the new consoles supposed to be easier to develop games on than current gen?

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

It's extremely important to have exclusives, they are part of competition. Without PlayStation exclusives and Nintendo exclusives all games would be filled with microtransactions, unpolished and very exploitative.

They both literally save the industry every year by offering options to the consumers that are less predatory.
Should have added /s at the end

Thirty7ven

Banned
Competition is always good and i hope that sony get back into the multiplayer focused titles as they are fun....ms pretty much owned this area this gen

Can't agree at all. Sony took over a neglected part of the market and became the industry leader there. Microsoft did neither one. They are competing in a crowded part of the market and they are not the industry leader there.

All the biggest multiplayer games are also on Playstation.

Bryank75

Banned
I don't think a $10 spike is gonna cover that much.
Last generation was PlayStations most profitable... so even though game production costs are going up, it seems to be working in PlayStations favor.

They can add studios in Non-US countries that have lower costs too....

The one thing I'm worried about is studios like Supermassive, Quantic Dream and RAD being bought or PlaySTation cutting ties with them... they made valuable titles that filled a niche.

What takes their place?

Evolution and Guerrilla Cambridge are gone too.

It's a lot to lose for just one addition.... even though Insomniac is awesome.

Media molecules output has also been very low this gen, even though dreams scored well and San Diego Studio will be putting MLB on Xbox.....

They need some substantial additions. Bethesda / Kadokawa / Capcom or a cambination of smaller studios.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Can't agree at all. Sony took over a neglected part of the market and became the industry leader there. Microsoft did neither one. They are competing in a crowded part of the market and they are not the industry leader there.

All the biggest multiplayer games are also on Playstation.
Totally agree with this. The third parties are so much better at making MP games than Sony/MS/Nintendo. Sony have found a winning formula with third person action adventure games. I'd like to see PS studios keep iterating and refining what they currently do because it's sublime.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Totally agree with this. The third parties are so much better at making MP games than Sony/MS/Nintendo. Sony have found a winning formula with third person action adventure games. I'd like to see the studios keep iterating and refining what they currently do.

And now with crossplay third parties have an even bigger advantage when it comes to multiplayer games.

Reactions: MrS

Amiga

Driveclub
Knack
Bloodborne
The Order 1886
Until Dawn
Detroit Become Human
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush
The Last Guardian
Death Stranding
Astro Bot
Dreams
Concrete Genie
Days Gone
Ghost of Tsushima

But that's far from it. They also released some of the best and most favorably received sequels/remakes and reboots of all time. Spiderman,God of War,The Last of Us 2,Uncharted 4,Gran Turismo Sport,Shadow of the Colossus etc.

MS is bottom of the worry list. the real challenges that are steadily creeping on Sony are mobile device games, PC gaming migration and the persistent Nintendo.

Sony

Nintendo
Games, not really. Services, definitely. Sony is in a very comfortable position and in a good place regarding game quality.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When has SONY ever had a problem with exclusives? Exclusives are what lead console sales and is why something like Google Stadia is fighting a losing battle.

Ellery

I hope so, but Sony has set the bar pretty high. I actually hope for Microsoft and Nintendo to improve their output so I have more great Microsoft and Nintendo games to play.

The main reason for that is that Sony wouldn't be able to react within that generation if Microsoft somehow magically increased their quality and quantity of outputs by a lot. It would happen at the very very end of the PS5 or PS6

Guilty_AI

They'll need a boost in their services rather than their games, thats the point MS is capitalizing on as well as the area the PS platform falls behind.

sublimit

Banned
When has SONY ever had a problem with exclusives? Exclusives are what lead console sales and is why something like Google Stadia is fighting a losing battle.
I didn't say they have a problem i was just wondering if they are able to raise their output even more in terms of both quality/quantity due to a (hopefully) stronger MS next gen.

Guilty_AI

The third parties are so much better at making MP games than Sony/MS/Nintendo.
That's just not true. Both MS and Nintendo have put out excellent games with strong multiplayer components. Sony has some too but i'd say they've been lagging behind in that area compared to the other two.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Sony is going on a 3rd party timed exclusive buying spree.. likely mostly indies. Potentially in response to MS beefing up their output.

But I doubt they'll expand their first party output. They have a ton to manage right now, great studios pumping out work.. didnt' they also shutter some studios? There's only so much one company can really manage and keep the quality high. Sony have become really focused on quality, at least for first party.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
They'll need a boost in their services rather than their games, thats the point MS is capitalizing on as well as the area the PS platform falls behind.
Naaa services are a losing hand in gaming. It's product based. Streaming will never be able to keep up or be dependable enough to depend on for gaming..... just look at the bandwidth restrictions due to Covid....it would be a disaster if people had no consoles or PC's.

Games are the content that sells....you just have to look at Nintendo and Sony to realize. Most fiancially successful generation ever for PlayStation.

Vawn

Banned
No.

Sony has had their foot fully on the gas as far first-party exclusives are concerned since about 2 years into the PS3 generation. I don't think they're holding anything back because of Xbox One's struggles.

sublimit

Banned
That's just not true. Both MS and Nintendo have put out excellent games with strong multiplayer components. Sony has some too but i'd say they've been lagging behind in that area compared to the other two.
Love it or hate it but MP games like Fortnite,Destiny 2 and GTA 5 Online had no competition from any platform holder's 1st party studio.

Rayderism

I'm hoping XBOX's stance on BC will make Sony offer better BC for older PS systems. And I mean like physical support, not just that inevitably limited library of the cloud stuff.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony is going on a 3rd party timed exclusive buying spree.. likely mostly indies. Potentially in response to MS beefing up their output.

But I doubt they'll expand their first party output. They have a ton to manage right now, great studios pumping out work.. didnt' they also shutter some studios? There's only so much one company can really manage and keep the quality high. Sony have become really focused on quality, at least for first party.
I was just saying.... Guerrilla Cambridge and Evolution were shuttered, they also cut ties with Quantic Dream, Supermassive and RAD was bought by Facebook.

Others are gone too..... it's time to buy a few high quality studios....

cause San Diego studio is gone multiplatform now and Media Molecule output is slow.

IntentionalPun

Naaa services are a losing hand in gaming. It's product based. Streaming will never be able to keep up or be dependable enough to depend on for gaming..... just look at the bandwidth restrictions due to Covid....it would be a disaster if people had no consoles or PC's.

Games are the content that sells....you just have to look at Nintendo and Sony to realize. Most fiancially successful generation ever for PlayStation.
Personally think Sony learned with PSNow that streaming if it hits is a far off thing.

And that doing the tech in-house is expensive as hell if you aren't already a cloud services provider.

They'll let MS waste money on it for a while until the tech is better and the jump back in lol*

* If it ever actually takes off... I have serious doubts it will.. I actually could see a future where 20 years from now game streaming still is not a big part of this market, or existing at all.

Guilty_AI

I'm not talking about streaming. I'm talking about stuff like Terms of Use for digital products, regional pricing, the paid online services like PS+, etc.

If MS put out more games, it will definitely put some pressure on Sony. I dont think Sonys quality will be affected though. It doesnt get much better than what they already do.

But they might feel the need to buy some more studios, just to have more games.

IntentionalPun

I was just saying.... Guerrilla Cambridge and Evolution were shuttered, they also cut ties with Quantic Dream, Supermassive and RAD was bought by Facebook.

Others are gone too..... it's time to buy a few high quality studios....

cause San Diego studio is gone multiplatform now and Media Molecule output is slow.
Yeah I'd say if you add it all up they are slightly smaller 1st party than they were a few years ago.

So even if they do bulk up a bit, it's not some expansion to combat MS.. it's to replace what was lost.

But I half suspect they are fine with the size they are; especially with being the market leader by a wide margin.. they have 3rd parties bending over backwards to do exclusive or timed exclusive contracts with them. They also seem to really like doing the "2nd party" thing and then buying those studios eventually if it makes sense. So we could see more medium sized studios basically become a part of Sony while being independent.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Love it or hate it but MP games like Fortnite,Destiny 2 and GTA 5 Online had no competition from any platform holder's 1st party studio.
Don't we have stuff like Splatoon 2 and Mario Party selling close to 10M units each on the switch? It's not necessarely competition for those but its far from something that can be considered irrelevant.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah I'd say if you add it all up they are slightly smaller 1st party than they were a few years ago.

So even if they do bulk up a bit, it's not some expansion to combat MS.. it's to replace what was lost.

But I half suspect they are fine with the size they are; especially with being the market leader by a wide margin.. they have 3rd parties bending over backwards to do exclusive or timed exclusive contracts with them. They also seem to really like doing the "2nd party" thing and then buying those studios eventually if it makes sense. So we could see more medium sized studios basically become a part of Sony while being independent.
I agree, that's the picture at the moment and if they expand too much it could impact quality or the investment might not be worth it.

They can wait for a clearer picture to emerge and respond accordingly.... if MS buy WB Studios, they might want to fire some shots back.

There are some great independent studios still out there... iOi, Remedy, Level 5 etc. or they could go for a full publisher buyout and leave them operate independently just creating exclusives as needed and other games being multi-platform.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I don't think the individual PlayStation studios need motivation from Microsoft. In many ways they motivate each other. What I do see is Sony being more motivated to acquire a couple more AAA studios or build them from scratch, particularly to build the kinds of games that are missing in their first party portfolio.

Last edited:
Going by games showcased in reveal, I think they will at least match output of current gen.

MS could really take off though, going by some rumours for July event. Even with barely minimum output, ms could sell 50 million consoles which isn't bad at all. Its a good success.

And no your competition outselling you doesn't make you unsuccessful. They proportionally made less investment.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Driveclub
Knack
Bloodborne
The Order 1886
Until Dawn
Detroit Become Human
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush
The Last Guardian
Death Stranding
Astro Bot
Dreams
Concrete Genie
Days Gone
Ghost of Tsushima

Both Sony and Microsoft must contend to supply exclusives this generation; otherwise, it makes purchasing more divisive. That's also a small factor during the 6th-Gen, consumers were buying all both XBOX original and PS2.

Top Bottom