• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think a stronger competition from MS's part this gen will also boost Sony's exclusive games output and quality?

ToadMan

Given the lead time of games these days they’re both pretty much locked in now.

Even if they set up a new studio tomorrow it’d take getting on for 5 years to see a product going by PS4/xb1 turnaround times. If they take even longer on next gen there won’t be time to get a game out before the PS6 and Xbox-PI/2 or whatever it’d be called.

If the content isn’t there for these consoles this gen it’s because the company didn’t plan far enough back into last gen to be ready.

This is why MS are talking about 2 years of cross gen titles. Of the 14 XGs studios 9 of them have been formed since 2018. It’s not enough time so MS will cross gen the games that were supposed to be for Xb1 so there’s something other than BC stuff for Xsex.

For Sony, their problem is that the studios they have are still in recovery/retool from the PS4 games they’ve produced so they’ll be waiting on a 5 year turnaround for their next gen stuff which is why the launch list is looking light so far. They supposedly are hiring for second teams at ND amongst other but again - it’s way too late for that to be useful to PS5 unless those teams are well advanced into their projects already.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
1) Game prices are increasing which should offset some dev cost
2) Aren't the new consoles supposed to be easier to develop games on than current gen?
Idk about the Series X development but Jim Ryan did say developers are getting code up and running on PS5 faster than any Playstation console before

Ms hasn't really been competition for Sony this gen and we've still had some great games ontop of all the third party stuff aswell it's been a good gen at least for me but that's what I've come to expect from Sony from the PS1 right through to the PS4 .

NahaNago

I'm going to say no. Like what Toadman said earlier games are taking 5 years to make it seems for Sony and they have only bought one studio in preparation for next gen. I think like at most the majority of Sony's studios released 2 games for PS5. They should have been expanding earlier a lot more this gen when they found out how long games were taking to make plus what if a studio cancels a game like the Santa Monica did at the beginning of this gen.

Last edited:

Graciaus

All the Xbox games will be on PC day one, won't they? This is going to negatively effect the number of people willing to buy boxes.
I wasn't going to buy a Xbox or Playstation though. But MS can still make money off me potentionally.

Reactions: MrS

WellSheet

What PlayStation has done is build a relationship with their customers, consistently providing excellent games till the very end of the generation.

FFVIIR, Nioh 2, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams and Persona 5 Royal this year alone so far.

PlayStation gamers are going to be very loyal in 90% of cases. So I do not see Xbox upping their game as something that can take many customers away from PlayStation but Xbox can get more people to buy their system by making great exclusives.

So if XBox put in the work, they could get to 60 million or maybe even 70 million next gen.
But I think PS5 will be well over 100 million again, dunno how much over, depends how long the gen is.

I do hope it spurs PlayStation on, they were willing to buy a shit group of studios for over 1 billion when they could have bought Kadokawa for the same money and added loads of manga and From soft to PlaySTation studios.

Totally agree.

I believe Sony has really solidified their brand as synonymous with these big budget, high-quality AAA experiences. I think that we’ve seen the mindset on those types of games shift, even just this generation - remember a few years again single player games were dead again -

I believe Sony understands the quality bar that it’s set and has to meet. The scary aspect is that it’s going to continue costing more. These games do not come cheap - TLOU 2 and Ghost probably cost 100mil easy just to produce. So, keeping the quality high is paramount to their success. That’s a huge investment and a huge risk/reward. I have faith though!

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Or did they reached their limit this gen?

In this current generation Sony's 1st/2nd party studios and collaborations had an insane output of 15 new IPs! And that is not even including small games like Resogun,Bound and others.

Driveclub
Knack
Bloodborne
The Order 1886
Until Dawn
Detroit Become Human
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush
The Last Guardian
Death Stranding
Astro Bot
Dreams
Concrete Genie
Days Gone
Ghost of Tsushima

But that's far from it. They also released some of the best and most favorably received sequels/remakes and reboots of all time. Spiderman,God of War,The Last of Us 2,Uncharted 4,Gran Turismo Sport,Shadow of the Colossus etc.

Having an output like that with zero competition from MS it's kinda crazy that Sony bothered to invest that much into their first party output.

But can they do more next gen with MS also (hopefully) raising their output or do you think they have reached their limit and we will see the same output next gen as well?
Sony will do amazing things this gen. I just hope they diversify a bit. I know they were saying before they want less but biigger games this coming gen. I'd prefer more and more diverse games personally. Keep the staples obviously. Horizon, God of War, TLOU(?), etc. But I want them to keep pumping out the new IPs as well. I don't think there really is a limit. Project Athia, Returnal are just a couple of examples that shows they haven't reached their limit.

Bryank75

Banned
Totally agree.

I believe Sony has really solidified their brand as synonymous with these big budget, high-quality AAA experiences. I think that we’ve seen the mindset on those types of games shift, even just this generation - remember a few years again single player games were dead again -

I believe Sony understands the quality bar that it’s set and has to meet. The scary aspect is that it’s going to continue costing more. These games do not come cheap - TLOU 2 and Ghost probably cost 100mil easy just to produce. So, keeping the quality high is paramount to their success. That’s a huge investment and a huge risk/reward. I have faith though!
Absolutely, 50K is about average for an employee and some much higher for over 200 people and for 5 years... is 50 - 60 million. Then add keeping the studio building heated and other overheads, equipment, voice actors and contractors and finally the marketing....... easily up to 100 million.

This will sell very well though.

All purchases from here on out will have to be very justified.... From would be.... they have a huge following, Bethesda would be too since they have Elderscrolls, Fallout and Doom.

Hobbygaming

I'm going to say no. Like what Toadman said earlier games are taking 5 years to make it seems for Sony and they have only bought one studio in preparation for next gen. I think like at most the majority of Sony's studios released 2 games for PS5. They should have been expanding earlier a lot more this gen when they found out how long games were taking to make plus what if a studio cancels a game like the Santa Monica did at the beginning of this gen.
Only reboots or new IPs take 5 years

This generation Naughty Dog released
Uncharted 4
TLOU 2
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Uncharted Collection

Insomniac
Spider-man
Ratchet and Clank
Sunset Overdrive, some indies and VR games too

Hobbygaming

Last generation was PlayStations most profitable... so even though game production costs are going up, it seems to be working in PlayStations favor.

They can add studios in Non-US countries that have lower costs too....

The one thing I'm worried about is studios like Supermassive, Quantic Dream and RAD being bought or PlaySTation cutting ties with them... they made valuable titles that filled a niche.

What takes their place?

Evolution and Guerrilla Cambridge are gone too.

It's a lot to lose for just one addition.... even though Insomniac is awesome.

Media molecules output has also been very low this gen, even though dreams scored well and San Diego Studio will be putting MLB on Xbox.....

They need some substantial additions. Bethesda / Kadokawa / Capcom or a cambination of smaller studios.
Agreed and I think it shows why the Insomniac purchase was so smart as Insomniac makes great games and they make them fast

I think Sony will buy a few more studios to help with their output

NahaNago

Only reboots or new IPs take 5 years

This generation Naughty Dog released
Uncharted 4
TLOU 2
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Uncharted Collection

Insomniac
Spider-man
Ratchet and Clank
Sunset Overdrive, some indies and VR games too

I'd only consider Insomniac for this since the Uncharted stuff was extra content and a port. Which is probably why Sony was so eager to aquire them since they are able to release a good number of games a gen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think that the experience on ps4 is gonna help people like bend, sucker punch and guerrilla to grow even more, not sure about this supposed microsoft pressure...

Hobbygaming

I'd only consider Insomniac for this since the Uncharted stuff was extra content and a port. Which is probably why Sony was so eager to aquire them since they are able to release a good number of games a gen.
The extra content is a full game though, it's bigger than any DLC

Great Hair

Banned
Driveclub✅✅✅
Knack ✅
Bloodborne ✅✅✅✅✅
The Order 1886 ✅✅
Until Dawn ✅✅✅
Detroit Become Human ✅✅
Horizon Zero Dawn ✅✅✅✅
Gravity Rush ✅✅✅
The Last Guardian ✅✅✅✅
Death Stranding ✅✅✅✅
Astro Bot ✅✅✅✅✅
Dreams ✅✅✅✅✅
Concrete Genie ✅✅✅
Days Gone ✅✅
Ghost of Tsushima ✅✅✅✅
All but 3 games on that new IP list were duds great!
But that's far from it. They also released some of the best and most favorably received sequels/remakes and reboots of all time. Spiderman,God of War,The Last of Us 2,Uncharted 4,Gran Turismo Sport,Shadow of the Colossus etc.

FTFY

I think its the opposite. I think PS4 dominance this gen has pushed MS into significantly investing in 1st party studios. 7 in the past few years with MS in talks in acquiring WB games divisions and still looking to acquiring more studios according to Phil.

Bryank75

Banned
I think its the opposite. I think PS4 dominance this gen has pushed MS into significantly investing in 1st party studios. 7 in the past few years with MS in talks in acquiring WB games divisions and still looking to acquiring more studios according to Phil.
Any word on how the WB thing is going?

I really don't think it will matter much other than making Sony moneyhat more third party games that would otherwise release on Xbox.

Sony is in a good position and I feel they should essentially continue with their current strategy. Sony seems to be doing better than ever focusing on single player games and the other companies can create multiplayer games since they are most likely better and more experienced at it.

There is one thing I REALLY wish Sony would give some more attention to though and I know this is asking for a lot. Japanese games. I understand a good portion of their Western games make the most money, but Japanese games is still a profitable market and is sorely lacking this generation from first party studios.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony is in a good position and I feel they should essentially continue with their current strategy. Sony seems to be doing better than ever focusing on single player games and the other companies can create multiplayer games since they are most likely better and more experienced at it.

There is one thing I REALLY wish Sony would give some more attention to though and I know this is asking for a lot. Japanese games. I understand a good portion of their Western games make the most money, but Japanese games is still a profitable market and is sorely lacking this generation from first party studios.
What would you like to see them do? In regards to Japanese development...

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
I sure as hell hope so to be quiet honest. I wouldn't mind if MS took a bit of marketshare and make Sony try harder.
At the end of the day PlayStation fans would profit when it comes to entertainment.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Here's hoping.

Imagine both next gen consoles on fire, releasing top quality exclusives, pushing each other to do better & better. On top of that, Nintendo still doing their thing. PC still rocking. Great games everywhere.

Sounds good to me.

Bryank75

Banned
I sure as hell hope so to be quiet honest. I wouldn't mind if MS took a bit of marketshare and make Sony try harder.
At the end of the day PlayStation fans would profit when it comes to entertainment.
They closed and cut ties with too many studios this gen.... they need to get some decent studios to make up for the shortfall.

stitch1

I hope both camps have their best generation yet. It can only be a good thing when the two are both firing on all cylinders. As they compete we the consumers win.

What would you like to see them do? In regards to Japanese development...

Mostly some fairly high budget, quality content and more if it. What did we really get from Sony’s first party this generation? Bloodborne, Last Guardian, an ICO port, a Gravity Rush port, Gravity Rush 2, Death Stranding(?). I just feel like they are ignoring the Japanese games market which is one of the reasons they became popular in the first place and I embraced the PlayStation brand. I feel more Japanese games can really enhance their already impressive portfolio. Now with them in California, this is one particular area that I feel will get even more neglected.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Mostly some fairly high budget content and more if it. What did we really get this generation? Bloodborne, a Gravity Rush port, Gravity Rush 2, Death Stranding(?). I just feel like they are ignoring the Japanese games market which is one of the reasons they became popular in the first place. I feel more Japanese games can really enhance their already impressive portfolio. Now with them in California, this is one particular area that I feel will get even more neglected.
I actually wish management was back in Japan still... I want them to buy Kadokawa, same price as the Chinese chicken company but they can integrate the Manga into Sony pictures and add From Soft to PlayStation Studios.

Then maybe get Level 5 as 1st party, iOi and Kojima.... or Remedy if they can't get one of them.

People forget that Team ICO is gone too.

Vol5

I think your right to an extent. If MS kill it on the hardware side and start to claw they way back to the heights of 360, then that's good competition for Sony, obviously. Honestly though, I don't think that's MS's aim right now. I think they know they have no real way of tackling Sony's output. A purchase of studios seems like shoring up the defences if they get pummelled at retail and have the talent to release games across PC and "other" platforms...the first 2 years of next-gen will be key for XBOX. It's curtains for MS as a console manufacturer if they don't impress next week and initial sales of Series X are poor.

Last edited:
Absolutely IMO there is a reason Sony hasn’t shown Silent Hills and it’s other exclusive games yet. They know this time around MS is trying harder.

Microsoft on the other hand... contrary to popular beliefs I think has to show all it’s cards. At least 95%. It’s a loose loose situation for them sadly. Show too much, Sony will clap back with unannounced classics. Show few, Sony will get the lead this gen again.

Chromata

It could increase the output if they buy/form more studios, but I doubt it will impact the quality.

It's not like devs held themselves back on purpose just because Xbox output wasn't great. People set out to make the best games they can.

Last edited:

Vaelka

I don't really care about the console war, but I really like Microsofts approach where they don't seem to want to be hoarders and play into the toxic and annoying console war too much.
It's just a box you play games on, games that weren't even made by Sony but by a studio they own or bought exclusive rights for.

Mostly some fairly high budget, quality content and more if it. What did we really get from Sony’s first party this generation? Bloodborne, Last Guardian, an ICO port, a Gravity Rush port, Gravity Rush 2, Death Stranding(?). I just feel like they are ignoring the Japanese games market which is one of the reasons they became popular in the first place and I embraced the PlayStation brand. I feel more Japanese games can really enhance their already impressive portfolio. Now with them in California, this is one particular area that I feel will get even more neglected.

So much this, I have absolutely 0 interest in either the playstation or the xbox and the main reason for that is because I find the exclusives from western studios to be incredibly boring. I play games for escapism and fun and I think that they try too hard to be serious and cinematic.
Bloodborne is an exception to this, but even then the souls series still is a lot more fantastical than western games in general I feel. Even if they're still quite dark and all that they're still a bit whimsical and don't feel like they're trying to copy too much from real life. I never felt like the devs for Souls games held back because they were thinking too much about realism.

I'd like to see more games like Gravity Rush too and I'd also like to see some more '' Anime '' games being given the chance with a really high budget.
I don't mean the stereotypical stuff but something like Astral Chain or Bayonetta for example.
Not every damn game and exclusive needs to be sad dad and misery simulators or try really hard to be artsy farsty. I'd like to see them adopt the Nintendo mentality a bit more of just having fun.

Sony is not letting up that's for sure.

They won't make the same mistakes they did going from PS2 to PS3 by offloading that huge userbase over to Xbox 360 which had both good services and content.

That said having strong competition from Xbox is good as well. I'm especially keen to see what new IP's they come out with. If Series S is cheap enough, i may get one instead of Series X.

Absolutely IMO there is a reason Sony hasn’t shown Silent Hills and it’s other exclusive games yet. They know this time around MS is trying harder.

Microsoft on the other hand... contrary to popular beliefs I think has to show all it’s cards. At least 95%. It’s a loose loose situation for them sadly. Show too much, Sony will clap back with unannounced classics. Show few, Sony will get the lead this gen again.

Sony still has a Silent Hills coming? I thought it was only a rumor and it turned out to be that Dead by Daylight Silent Hill collaboration?

Sony still has a Silent Hills coming? I thought it was only a rumor and it turned out to be that Dead by Daylight Silent Hill collaboration?

Oh sorry for not clarifying. Yes it’s still a rumor.

But several reliable insiders has mentioned a team working on the IP. I think it’s happening for sure but that’s my 6th sense.

Microsoft wants to put quanity over quality, the game pass day 1 xbox exclusives wont be anything as big as sony in house.

My opinion

But competition is good, this might force sony to go back to some old ips like syphon filter etc

dDoc

Didn't Shaun Layden state that games are too expensive because they are too long?

Hope Sony doesnt drop the quality of its SP titles just to make more monies.

WellSheet

I actually wish management was back in Japan still... I want them to buy Kadokawa, same price as the Chinese chicken company but they can integrate the Manga into Sony pictures and add From Soft to PlayStation Studios.

Then maybe get Level 5 as 1st party, iOi and Kojima.... or Remedy if they can't get one of them.

People forget that Team ICO is gone too.

I love this idea

I think there’s the train of thought that if you desire a system/manufacturer to have exclusive games that you’re wrong because you’re inherently trying to keep the biggest amount of people from playing those games...

While I wouldn’t disagree that, yes, something being exclusive to a console
Limits it’s potential reach I feel the trade off in the quality of product we get is undeniable.

Do you really think we’d have The Last of Us (regardless of what people think of it or its sequel) or God of War (originals or reboot) Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon etc etc that hit the levels of polish and quality they do without sole dedication to one platform?

You could argue that we would. That a developer would have made these quality games regardless...hell we do have Rockstar and Bethesda (arguably) and it seems like CDPR is poised to join those ranks over the next decade if they keep up the good work they’ve done since Witcher 3.

I tend to feel we wouldn’t have the exclusives we have on Sony’s ecosystem without Sony funding them. The risk vs investment vs reward wouldn’t occur

Bryank75

Banned
I love this idea

I think there’s the train of thought that if you desire a system/manufacturer to have exclusive games that you’re wrong because you’re inherently trying to keep the biggest amount of people from playing those games...

While I wouldn’t disagree that, yes, something being exclusive to a console
Limits it’s potential reach I feel the trade off in the quality of product we get is undeniable.

Do you really think we’d have The Last of Us (regardless of what people think of it or its sequel) or God of War (originals or reboot) Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon etc etc that hit the levels of polish and quality they do without sole dedication to one platform?

You could argue that we would. That a developer would have made these quality games regardless...hell we do have Rockstar and Bethesda (arguably) and it seems like CDPR is poised to join those ranks over the next decade if they keep up the good work they’ve done since Witcher 3.

I tend to feel we wouldn’t have the exclusives we have on Sony’s ecosystem without Sony funding them. The risk vs investment vs reward wouldn’t occur
Well From have worked with Japan Studio a lot and the first Souls game was funded and commissioned by PlayStation, so the history is there.

It's just a very expensive buy at over a billion but the rest could fit into Sony, since they have movie studios and can sell content to Disney and Netflix and adapt much of it into gaming and TV also.

Bethesda is the other option but I don't know if they are willing to sell.... might ask for a lot. Doom, Elderscrolls and Fallout are worth it though. ESO would fill that online niche they want too.... and Doom marine would be a mascot even bigger than Master Chief now.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Nope, Sony has the perfect balance of quantity and quality which is insane when you think about how thy had to further stretch their devs due to PSVR which also has some quality exclusives.

Sony akways gets my money bcus of what they offer.

Tschumi

Hehe, i can't really participate in this one, despite generally favouring Sony i can't really see the point in backslapping about that nice long list (question: does gravity rush really belong there?)

I absolutely think competition would push things further - surely Xbox og had some influence on ps2's later titles - but that's not what we're getting is it?

J____Av

So if XBox put in the work, they could get to 60 million or maybe even 70 million next gen.
Not going to happen. Even if they have a better product than this gen, the Xbox brand is the weakest its been in a long time. I would bet sales are down from this gen

Not going to happen. Even if they have a better product than this gen, the Xbox brand is the weakest its been in a long time. I would bet sales are down from this gen

Then how did the 360 get to nearly 100 million when the OG Xbox only had a userbase of 20 million?
How did the Switch take off after the WiiU?

MS has addressed pretty much all the issues from the 2013 launch. XSX/Lockhart will no doubt be far more sussessful than the XB1 for multiple reasons.

MS brings the games/hardware/services/price=brand strenghtens

Top Bottom