• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think companies are taking brand loyalty for granted nowadays?

vas

I am extremely disappointed that in recent past, companies with established user base, have exploited their "brand loyalty" through shabby quality control issues.

In my view, three biggest offenders (in no particular order):

1. MS with the recent overheating problems
2. Apple with poor quality components in ipod nanos
3. Sony with the psp dead pixel fiasco

What do you GAFers think?

vas

Dr_Cogent said:
Why would someone be loyal to a brand? I don't believe in buying product because of loyalty.
Some could be loyal due to positive experience in the past. That is one example.

Striek

What?
No.
These things happen, we don't know if there is a serious problem with X360 build quality yet (aka how widespread it is), the PSP 'dead pixel' was really a non-issue, a problem with all LCD screens, and uh, I don't know much about this Nano problem.

These companies haven't exploted any 'loyalty' from people who enjoy their products. Certainly didn't knowingly release defective products with the expectation that their usual customers will live with it.

vas

Striek said:
What?
No.
These things happen, we don't know if there is a serious problem with X360 build quality yet (aka how widespread it is), the PSP 'dead pixel' was really a non-issue, a problem with all LCD screens, and uh, I don't know much about this Nano problem.

These companies haven't exploted any 'loyalty' from people who enjoy their products. Certainly didn't knowingly release defective products with the expectation that their usual customers will live with it.
3 pixels that are defective on a high res (1280x1024) monitor is one thing while 3 or more (as much as 10) that are defective on a (relatively) low res psp screen is quite another.

Ipod nano class action suit: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1340

Striek

vas said:
3 pixels that are defective on a high res (1280x1024) monitor is one thing while 3 or more (as much as 10) that are defective on a (relatively) low res psp screen is quite another.
Its still well within normal range for a LCD screen though. 3 pixels, even if they had a 1:1 pixel/resolution ratio, thats 1 in 43,000 pixels (0.003%). Besides, Sony (in NA only I think) changed their policy and will replace a system with even one dead pixel.

As for the iPod Nano thing, from that link it looks pretty bad, but people tend to overreact and etc., I can't say for sure though.

Tiktaalik

Hasn't Apple said that there is zero difference between the finishes of the Nano and of the regular iPods?

I read a thread about it some apple site or maybe slashdot, I forget, and someone mentioned that since the Nano is so small and light, people probably aren't treating it like expensive hardware, opting to simply stuff it in their pants instead of buying a proper case etc. I would agree with that if Apple's claim that the finishes are the same is true.

Amir0x

Banned
What, there's brand new launch hardware that is failing? Color me shocked! This is what happens with all new hardware, that's the risk you take for being a first adopter. There are ways companies can make it better, but at first it's a matter of getting yields up so they can meet demand. I don't really think that's anyone taking advantage of their fanbase.

Ryck

My friend said he wouldn't buy an Xbox360 because he's more of playstation person, whatever that means.

(on topic) Yes I think to a degree all companies do ( popular ones anyway)

Top Bottom