• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think we'll see Megaman X Command Mission or Megaman X8 on PS4?

poodaddy

The recent discussion about Megaman X on here has got me replaying the series again for the.....well, some imperceptible number-th time and I've been thinking about Command Mission and X8 a lot.

Command Mission in particular is actually a very well made RPG, and although the story is kind of meh as far as the fact that it throws the lore of the series off a bit, it still manages to be a pretty decent self contained story in and of itself. Also, it was designed by the Breath of Fire 4 team so you know it can't really be bad, per say, even if it didn't really feel like a Megaman X game at the end of the day.

X8 is a different case; I really feel like this game got kind of a lukewarm reception that wasn't deserved. It's certainly not the best X game by a large stretch of the imagination, in fact it is definitely one of the worst, but that's the thing; the only truly bad MMX game is MMX 7 and although 8 may not be as good as the rest it was still a good game in its own right. The stages were well designed, the art was fine, it was pretty awesome to switch characters in the middle of levels, and the gameplay was pretty satisfying over all. I think that the game would of been more fairly reviewed and warmly received if it didn't follow the foil wrapped turd that is Megaman X7. That game is responsible for pretty much killing the franchise in my opinion. The story for 8 wasn't great and it's true that the series kind of lost its soul after 5 when Inafune wasn't on the team anymore, but X6 and X8 are still good games.
My point here is that it's kind of a shame that newer gamers and older gamers who've gone all digital can't, (legally), play these games as they're actually pretty legit; so I was wondering what the chances are that we'll see them announced for the PS2 classics on PS4. Do you think it'll happen or should we just start writing the obituary for these titles?

poodaddy

Command Mission was really cool. It was great getting an RPG like that out of the series. :)

Right? It's a good ass game, regardless of how it fits into the time line. Getting Zero in that was a revelation too. He's kinda OP.....but I loved it ;P

poodaddy

I got bored as hell in Command Mission. Nevver played X8 but from what Ive heard its good. Cant be any worse than X7 or even X6.

I disagree but I respect your opinion. On X8, it's a good game honestly, and hopefully it comes to PS4 so you can make your own judgement on it. I think it's a bit more fun than X6, but then again I actually do think X6 is an alright game so your barometer on that may be different than my own :/

I disagree but I respect your opinion. On X8, it's a good game honestly, and hopefully it comes to PS4 so you can make your own judgement on it. I think it's a bit more fun than X6, but then again I actually do think X6 is an alright game so your barometer on that may be different than my own :/

You disagree that I got bored when I played Command Mission?

Reset

I'm still waiting for a X collection on the current gen handhelds/consoles. Was hoping after the Legacy Collection they would release the X collection. If they don't do that, then I hope they at least port the PS2 collection,X8, and Command Mission on the PS4 with the "backwards compatibility.

Probably around when the next Mega Man IP revival comes around, like with the upcoming cartoon.

If Capcom does revive MegaMan, it'll probably be the classic series. Which is a shame because the X, Zero, and even ZX(even though this series had a shitty map system) were better than the classic series.

X > Zero > ZX > EXE > Classic / Starforce > Legends

Probably not. I think Capcom wants to pretend the post PS1 X games don't exist.

Honestly it's not a big loss. X7 is a horrible game, X8 is mediocre at best and Command Mission is pretty dull.

That said, I'd take just about any MegaMan collections we can get. An X collection, EXE collection, Legends Collection etc.

poodaddy

A complete X collection would be nice.

X1-8 (cut 6 and 7 if necessary)
Command Mission
Xtreme 1 & 2
Maverick Hunter X

Christ man this would be amazing. I mean I just don't see why they don't, ya know? Megaman X is legendary, it has a massive legion of fans that literally started their habit of gaming with Megaman X on SNES. It's just money. I mean at the very least releasing the PS2 titles on PS4 would be enough for me, but a complete collection would be amazing. Probably would be the best video game collection of all time to me.

Then leave em in!

You're weird.
lol.

Beatrix

Mega Man X1-8 on PS4 would be glorious. I hope they do something like that but considering Capcom I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also X6 wasn't that bad when compared to X7's mess. X8 was decent.

Holy shit!

More Command Mission fans?

*brofist*

I fucking LOVE that game. It's crazy to me it took so long to get a JRPG themed Mega Man game. I had so much fun with it!

Vex_

Banned
I'm still waiting for a X collection on the current gen handhelds/consoles. Was hoping after the Legacy Collection they would release the X collection. If they don't do that, then I hope they at least port the PS2 collection,X8, and Command Mission on the PS4 with the "backwards compatibility.

If Capcom does revive MegaMan, it'll probably be the classic series. Which is a shame because the X, Zero, and even ZX(even though this series had a shitty map system) were better than the classic series.

X > Zero > ZX > EXE > Classic / Starforce > Legends

Zero comes first. Zero ALWAYS comes first. So:
Zero > Legends > X > blablahblah doesn't matter.

SephLuis

I rented Command Mission so many years ago that I only remember that the game was very cool and very difficult. Should return to it someday.

I also like X8, but I played the PC version of it.

Would love for Capcom to make a new compilation.

poodaddy

You're WEIRD!

I LOVE Command Mission too! :D *brofist*

MMX Command Mission fan here too!! I love that game.
We should start the smallest community on Neogaf.
I rented Command Mission so many years ago that I only remember that the game was very cool and very difficult. Should return to it someday.

I also like X8, but I played the PC version of it.

Would love for Capcom to make a new compilation.
What's the PC version like? If it was ok then I don't really understand why Capcom doesn't just release it on Steam.

SephLuis

What's the PC version like? If it was ok then I don't really understand why Capcom doesn't just release it on Steam.

Honestly, I was around 14 at the time and didn't know much better the differences between versions. For me, I didn't had a PS2 so it was great just to be playing on PC.

I played X8 and DMC3 that way without any issues. If I remember correctly, the PC game had framedrops but nothing that would make me stop the game.

DMC3 PC is on Steam, no idea why X8 isn't. Perhaps the port isn't good by today standards.

Tizoc

On PS4 in particular? Maybe, you never know when it could be released on PS3 :p

So far this is the list of games Capcom could put up on US PSN
Megaman X6
Megaman Powered Up
Megaman Legends 2
The 2 games you mentioned
RE Survivor series

desmax

Yeah, guess they could release it as a PS2 Emulated game

Next year is Megaman 30th anniversary, right? They'll probably do stuff to celebrate, even if they're just re-releases

Right? It's a good ass game, regardless of how it fits into the time line. Getting Zero in that was a revelation too. He's kinda OP.....but I loved it ;P

I found X better than Zero because Zero really had gimped erosion points. X had it easy equipping the broke supra metal in the endgame while Zero had to sacrifice some metal slots to help fit it in or was a crazy high level, though they both had the most powerful ultimate form except X had some aoe to his ultimate attack. I think the cheesiest character in the game was Marino though, you can even beat Ninetails before he gets a turn in with her if you lead with her (since she is like the only person fast enough to go first against him) then just hyper form and wail on him, then use a item to restore hyper, so she always gets a turn. The fact that she can also get multiple turns made her the best "medic" too. Just pop hyper, heal party with energy tank, then end hyper and basically it's a heal without wasting a turn. Axl was also pretty broke, since he can taunt sub weapon and go invisible, basically being an invincible tank.

Capcom should consider releasing an Ultimate Mega Man compilation with X, Zero, Legends etc.

Though I have confidence that they're going to rerelease some of the games on PSN/VC/etc.

In fact, I wonder how Capcom is holding up with Legends 2.

poodaddy

On PS4 in particular? Maybe, you never know when it could be released on PS3 :p

So far this is the list of games Capcom could put up on US PSN
Megaman X6
Megaman Powered Up
Megaman Legends 2
The 2 games you mentioned
RE Survivor series
Yeah honestly all of this need to hit PSN, and hell why not Steam too? I mean I know that one probably won't happen but I bet a lot of PC gamers would love to have MMX in their collection. Seems silly not to do it.
I remember Command Mission having very boring level design but everything else was good to great. I'd pick it up on PS4 if they rereleased it.
Can't argue with that at all.
Capcom should consider releasing an Ultimate Mega Man compilation with X, Zero, Legends etc.

Though I have confidence that they're going to rerelease some of the games on PSN/VC/etc.

In fact, I wonder how Capcom is holding up with Legends 2.
I hope it's on the way. MMX6 and Legends 2 really need to be on my Vita right now. Replaying Legends 1 on the Vita has been absolutely excellent, perhaps even better than the first time I played it. Mega Man Powered Up really needs a Vita release as well; I let my daughter play the demo of Powered Up that's included on Maverick Hunter X and she absolutely fell in love. I feel like a dick now though, as she asks to play "cute Megaman" every day and all I have to let her play is one level....come on Capcom. If not for me then for the kids!!
I'm not above shameless plugs.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'd kill for a collection with dual audio. I finally got around to playing Rockman X4 a year or so ago and the voices are objectively better. I do like the nostalgically bad meme-worthy VA too, though, so being able to switch between them is an ideal that has yet to be realized.

Command Mission is a yes please. X8 is no big loss if we never get it, but it would be nice.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One issue with X8 is that the HUD is a garbled mess. Looks like all of the art assets are scaled improperly. Looks awful. Wonder if the Japanese version has the same issue?

poodaddy

One issue with X8 is that the HUD is a garbled mess. Looks like all of the art assets are scaled improperly. Looks awful. Wonder if the Japanese version has the same issue?

That's a good question. It's been quite some time, but I do remember the HUD being rather large.

poodaddy

Command Mission fan here.
Loved that game. Played it for tens of hours & unlocked every single thing.

I'd kill for a collection with dual audio. I finally got around to playing Rockman X4 a year or so ago and the voices are objectively better. I do like the nostalgically bad meme-worthy VA too, though, so being able to switch between them is an ideal that has yet to be realized.

Command Mission is a yes please. X8 is no big loss if we never get it, but it would be nice.

Well there's more Command Mission fans out here than I thought! Well that's cool man, I remember as a teenager being the only one of my friends playing the game, everyone else had moved on past the X series and didn't even bat an eye. Nice to see it got its appreciation, now let's bug Capcom to port this mother!
And X8 too....pretty please

EricB

Honestly, I was around 14 at the time and didn't know much better the differences between versions. For me, I didn't had a PS2 so it was great just to be playing on PC.

I played X8 and DMC3 that way without any issues. If I remember correctly, the PC game had framedrops but nothing that would make me stop the game.

DMC3 PC is on Steam, no idea why X8 isn't. Perhaps the port isn't good by today standards.

I have the PC version of X8 - the only physical PC game I own. It seems to look and play well enough, though I haven't spent much time with the PS2 version so have no basis of comparison. I can say that it definitely isn't shit like I've heard Devil May Cry 3 is. I've never encountered any problems getting it to run properly.

For those who really want to play the games, X8 and X6 are both available on Japanese PSN. X8 is only playable on PS3 as a classic.

entremet

Capcom has been good at releasing legacy MM titles of late.

Mostly, because there has been demand. Have you seen the eBay prices at MM games recently? Yikes!

Rymuth

There is only one reason I can explain the baffling love for Command Mission in this thread ~

These people have gone Maverick.

jdkluv

it was pretty awesome to switch characters in the middle of levels

Mega Man Xtreme 2 and X7 were the first ones to introduce the swap mechanic between characters, though. :v

X7 is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. I know it's bad, but I find it entertaining. It also has my favorite Sigma battle theme.

X8 is really good and the PC version is a lot better than the PS2 original. It was a very good X game, and certainly felt like a very fresh addition to the series. A shame it bombed, as I feel they could have perfected the formula with an X9 following in its footsteps. Everyone should play it.

Command Mission was a really fun game and I'd enjoy a sequel. It's simple, but fun, and kickass music as well, always gets me pumped. The Ninetails clan were a fun challenge.

poodaddy

I have the PC version of X8 - the only physical PC game I own. It seems to look and play well enough, though I haven't spent much time with the PS2 version so have no basis of comparison. I can say that it definitely isn't shit like I've heard Devil May Cry 3 is. I've never encountered any problems getting it to run properly.

For those who really want to play the games, X8 and X6 are both available on Japanese PSN. X8 is only playable on PS3 as a classic.
Is it a relatively simple process starting a Japanese PSN account? Also does the game have English subtitles?

Capcom has been good at releasing legacy MM titles of late.

Mostly, because there has been demand. Have you seen the eBay prices at MM games recently? Yikes!
Yeah the shits kind of absurd to be honest, and to think I was thinking of buying Tron Bonne on eBay when they announced it for PSN; Christ was I relieved man.
Mega Man Xtreme 2 and X7 were the first ones to introduce the swap mechanic between characters, though. :v

X7 is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. I know it's bad, but I find it entertaining. It also has my favorite Sigma battle theme.

X8 is really good and the PC version is a lot better than the PS2 original. It was a very good X game, and certainly felt like a very fresh addition to the series. A shame it bombed, as I feel they could have perfected the formula with an X9 following in its footsteps. Everyone should play it.

Command Mission was a really fun game and I'd enjoy a sequel. It's simple, but fun, and kickass music as well, always gets me pumped. The Ninetails clan were a fun challenge.
Shhhhh. Xtreme 2 and X 8 are the only ones.....
I know X7 had it but the games God awful so we don't talk about it. Think of X7 as that time you saw Daddy hitting Mommy but were too afraid to say anything about it at dinner the next day. It's evil, and best forgotten

Top Bottom