• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think we'll see Megaman X Command Mission or Megaman X8 on PS4?

EricB

Is it a relatively simple process starting a Japanese PSN account? Also does the game have English subtitles?

Setting up a Japanese PSN account is relatively simple. There are many written and video tutorials available for setting one up through a PS3, PS4, or Vita. Here is one from Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5982662/how-to-make-a-japanese-psn-account-on-the-new-psn-and-how-to-navigate-the-store

As for Rockman X8 language options, I am not sure. The version I have is the Korean PC version and it is multi-language. I've heard that the Japanese PC version is also dual language, but I've never played it or the PS2 version so I cannot verify. Even if it is only Japanese I don't imagine it would be difficult to play. If you have no other options, it would certainly be a fine way to play the game.

poodaddy

Setting up a Japanese PSN account is relatively simple. There are many written and video tutorials available for setting one up through a PS3, PS4, or Vita. Here is one from Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5982662/how-to-make-a-japanese-psn-account-on-the-new-psn-and-how-to-navigate-the-store

As for Rockman X8 language options, I am not sure. The version I have is the Korean PC version and it is multi-language. I've heard that the Japanese PC version is also dual language, but I've never played it or the PS2 version so I cannot verify. Even if it is only Japanese I don't imagine it would be difficult to play. If you have no other options, it would certainly be a fine way to play the game.

Huh, alright then; it all seems pretty well documented and doable. Hey thank you for this :)

poodaddy

CM is an awesome game, and X8 is a good game too. Give them to Blue Point and they will make great HD remasters.

I mean you're right, Blue Point is amazing, but somehow I think they're kind of too big a name for Megaman now haha. You don't go from porting the Nathan Drake Collection and The Last of Us to MMX games.....
this world is unfair.

The story for 8 wasn't great and it's true that the series kind of lost its soul after 5 when Inafune wasn't on the team anymore, but X6 and X8 are still good games.
I am with you on Command Mission and X8, but the bolded is crazy talk. X6 has a mechanically robust framework, inherited from the infinitely superior X4 and X5. Almost all of its original contributions are awful. The level and enemy design look like little thought went into it, and then had no QA pass. The Heatnix stage is worse than most X7 ones.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Command Mission was essentially Breath of Fire with Megaman X skin, and I enjoyed it!

The boss fights tend to be cheap unless you know what you're doing though.

I am with you on Command Mission and X8, but the bolded is crazy talk. X6 has a mechanically robust framework, inherited from the infinitely superior X4 and X5. Almost all of its original contributions are awful. The level and enemy design look like little thought went into it, and then had no QA pass. The Heatnix stage is worse than most X7 ones.

Maybe it's just me but I never had any problems with any of the X6 stages barring the "can't return anymore" part of Metal Shark Player's stage (and that's only if you accidentally get there).

poodaddy

Eh, I really can't argue you with you on it. I probably just find it fun because of the inherited framework from X4 and 5 to be honest. They could of given me anything that played with that mobility and speed and, to be quite honest, I probably still would of loved it. I agree that X6 is the second worst X game by a wide margin and that X8 is way better.....but I can't agree on X7 being better. That game is cancer. I admit to liking X6 more than it deserves though :/

Videoneon

NeoGAF is getting to the point recently where I feel like I am seeing more discussion/topics on Mega Man X compared to the other series. I haven't ventured into Gaming Community OT so I don't know what's going on here.

I love NeoGAF

Anyway I don't know how big of a hurdle the voice work would be for Command Mission and X8, seeing as it apparently was a problem for Legends. I'm not really sure it's all that likely, at least not any time soon. I'm not really sure what the demand is like for them. I'd buy them for sure though. Mega Man X is good.

As for the games themselves, Command Mission was unique relative to the rest of the Mega Man franchise and I'm glad it happened. As was mentioned the levels were mostly pretty boring from what I remember...except for the early parts of Silver Horn's dungeon...maybe the Ferham chapter? I really liked the first/second chapters and the Incentas chapters, because they really told a story (in the first two, you're thrown into this new world and you're separated from your comrades, and in the Incentas chapter/ending of Mach Jentra chapter Things Change.) Pretty interesting battle system. Mediocre soundtrack on the whole. Gave up on the Tails bosses after beating the first two

X8 doesn't get as much love as it deserves IMO and I feel that the ride chaser levels get slightly undue hate that color the game's experience, though to be fair Dynasty sucks. Some of the classic X games had shit levels too. Anyway, chip system, more interesting hidden collectibles/unlockables, special Axl weapons, and some good Maverick levels are what I like about the game. Soundtrack is actually a bit iffy to be honest...=(

I want a collection for PS4 so bad.

It's been a little while, but ranking from memory:

X1 > X4 > X2 > X3 > X5 > X6 > X8 > X7

Command Mission is somewhere in the middle. Simple, but still fun. I never really liked X5 all that much, but I put it over X6 because the latter had some bullshit level design. I remember thinking X8 was okay, but I don't think I beat it more than once or twice. X7 is awful shit. Blight on the entire series.

poodaddy

NeoGAF is getting to the point recently where I feel like I am seeing more discussion/topics on Mega Man X compared to the other series. I haven't ventured into Gaming Community OT so I don't know what's going on here.

=(
This is appropriate ;)

I want a collection for PS4 so bad.

It's been a little while, but ranking from memory:

X1 > X4 > X2 > X3 > X5 > X6 > X8 > X7

Command Mission is somewhere in the middle. Simple, but still fun. I never really liked X5 all that much, but I put it over X6 because the latter had some bullshit level design. I remember thinking X8 was okay, but I don't think I beat it more than once or twice. X7 is awful shit. Blight on the entire series.
I mostly agree with your ranking except for some minor stuff, but yeah X7 man. What the fuck were they thinking....or not thinking, as it were.

Reset

Nah, X4, X5, and X6 are more difficult than X1 and X2. X5 has the hardest boss in there series (Shadow Devil.) And X6 was just annoying. X3 might be the most difficult unless you decide to get the Zero Saber + Gold Armor.

Oh and if we're ranking the games
X5 > X1 > X4 > X2 > X3 = X8 > X:CM > X6 > X7

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My big problem with X5 is its presentation. The lack of anime cutscenes, the tacky font, the general UI, and the grainy art used for the boss selection portraits are probably the worst in the series. I would argue that it has the least memorable, most mundane soundtrack of the series as well. The story was great for a Mega Man game, though, and finally wrapped up the Zero story that the other games had been hinting at. The Maverick designs (hilariously bad Guns N' Roses names aside) are among the most unique in the series, too. The Skiver/Spiral Pegasus and Axl the Red/Spike Rosered are top tier designs.

Reset

Lack of the anime cutscenes is a con? Well that's the first time I've seen someone like the X4's cutscenes haha.

Also XvsZero and Dyanmo's theme mundane? :[

My big problem with X5 is its presentation. The lack of anime cutscenes, the tacky font, the general UI, and the grainy art used for the boss selection portraits are probably the worst in the series. I would argue that it has the least memorable, most mundane soundtrack of the series as well. The story was great for a Mega Man game, though, and finally wrapped up the Zero story that the other games had been hinting at. The Maverick designs (hilariously bad Guns N' Roses names aside) are among the most unique in the series, too. The Skiver/Spiral Pegasus and Axl the Red/Spike Rosered are top tier designs.

Nah X5 had great music. Much better than at least half the series.

aadiboy

X5 had some iffy level design...like that slow ass level where you have to follow a whale. It's a lot better than X6 though.

omg Command Mission!! I played it a long ass time ago but I got stuck in some boss or whatever. There was also a Megaman Network 2d platformer for the gamecube that was hard as fuck.

TreIII

Command Mission was essentially Breath of Fire with Megaman X skin, and I enjoyed it!

I remembered thinking that it was quite odd that Command Mission was more what I looking for from a BOF game than DQ was at the time. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the game. Absolute Zero was a fun thing to unlock.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Considering how Capcom loves the Nintendo Virtual Console and doing Mega Man theme sales on those platforms I wouldn't at all be surprised that if GCN VC ever happens Command Mission won't show up there.

mrmickfran

Nah man

https://youtu.be/PrBe5vCEbK4
https://youtu.be/g855vT8uMqE
https://youtu.be/8A3yJNbgGDY

poodaddy

I would love both of these but I think an X collection is more likely.
That would satisfy my lust for X busters and beam sabers just fine.
Considering how Capcom loves the Nintendo Virtual Console and doing Mega Man theme sales on those platforms I wouldn't at all be surprised that if GCN VC ever happens Command Mission won't show up there.

I don't know if that will happen out of the blue but fuck would I love it. I don't care what platform it comes to, I just want it digitally. Wii U pro is my favorite controller of this gen so here's hoping it hits Wii U, or at least NX.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nah, X4, X5, and X6 are more difficult than X1 and X2. X5 has the hardest boss in there series (Shadow Devil.) And X6 was just annoying. X3 might be the most difficult unless you decide to get the Zero Saber + Gold Armor.

Oh and if we're ranking the games
X5 > X1 > X4 > X2 > X3 = X8 > X:CM > X6 > X7

I actually thought X5 was pretty easy unless you went out of your way to make it hard, the only time it felt hard to me was the "rival" X/Zero fight.

Is Command Mission on PS2 the version with completely busted load times? I remember buying that one strictly for the demo of X8 that came with it.

I have both games sitting on my shelf for the next time I hook the PS2 up, but Command Mission especially would be great to see on PS4 with better load times.

poodaddy

Ill buy for $50!

Shit for a bundle of that scope I'd fork over a hundred bucks without thinking twice, but then I'm kind of obsessed with the series.

And since all the cool kids are doing it I guess I should rank the series too. It'll be a bit abnormal, but ah well. It's all just opinions.

X2>X1>X4>X5>X3>X8>X6
X7 doesn't even deserve a spot.
As far as Command Mission goes I'll rank it a bit differently....
BoF2>BoF3>Command Mission>BoF4>BoF

poodaddy

Guess my interest in Breath of Fire just shot up a bit. Off to the PSN I go.

Smart man. BoF 1 and 2 aren't on PSN unfortunately, just so ya know. They are on the Wii U e shop though as they were SNES games. BoF 2 is a true masterpiece so if you have a Wii U I can't recommend it enough. BoF 3 and 4 are also great and Bof is pretty good, but 2 is nearly on par with Chrono Trigger and FF6. Yeah, it's that good.

This thread has inspired another replay for me. Just beat X1. Still damn fine, really well put together. I like how I can remember the locations of all the heart/sub tanks and capsules to this day.

I fucked up Velguader with the Hadouken too.

poodaddy

This thread has inspired another replay for me. Just beat X1. Still damn fine, really well put together. I like how I can remember the locations of all the heart/sub tanks and capsules to this day.

I fucked up Velguader with the Hadouken too.

Haha awesome! I'm actually doing the same, just finished up MMX1, 2, and 4. Gonna move on to 3 and 5 today and tomorrow. These games just don't get old man. A true testament to their staying power and quality of design when you can play a 20 year old game and still remember all of the secrets.
Get that shoryuken in MMX2 man.....feels amazing to kill Agile in one hit

Servbot24

Banned
Command Mission was my intro to turn-based games. For some reason when I bought it I thought it was going to be a spiritual successor to Mega Man Legends. God damn was I bewildered and heartbroken.

Good game though.

I think x6 is better than x7 and x8
Fuck axl

No question.

Haha awesome! I'm actually doing the same, just finished up MMX1, 2, and 4. Gonna move on to 3 and 5 today and tomorrow. These games just don't get old man. A true testament to their staying power and quality of design when you can play a 20 year old game and still remember all of the secrets.
Get that shoryuken in MMX2 man.....feels amazing to kill Agile in one hit

Oh, I will. Any reason you played out of order?

Also, debating whether to play X4 twice. Hurm.

Those minibosses alone drag the whole game down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg71yIY1IPI

Celcius

°Temp. member
At this point they should just give the fans what they want and release an Ultimate Megaman Pack for PS4/XB1/Steam:

MM 1-10
MMX 1-8
MM Legends 1, 2 & Misadventures of Tronne Bonne
Megaman Zero 1-4
MM X Command Mission
Megaman Battle Network 1-6
Megaman ZX 1&2
MM Star Force (all games)
Megaman Soccer
Megaman The Power Battle 1 & 2
Rockman & Forte
Street Fighter X Megaman
Gallery mode featuring artwork and music form the entire series

All for $59.99 on a single disc. It's not like they're making Megaman games anymore anyway.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
At this point they should just give the fans what they want and release an Ultimate Megaman Pack for PS4/XB1/Steam:

MM 1-10
MMX 1-8
Megaman Zero 1-4
MM X Command Mission
Megaman ZX 1&2
Megaman Soccer
Rockman & Forte
Street Fighter X Megaman

All for $59.99 on a single disc. It's not like they're making Megaman games anymore anyway.
I'd buy the fuck out of this.

I hope they'd make a collector's edition too.

poodaddy

Oh, I will. Any reason you played out of order?

Also, debating whether to play X4 twice. Hurm.
No real reason to be honest. My daughter wanted to see Megaman games at different times and I kind of just played what she allowed me to play at any given moment lol. As for the bolded, I don't know that it's really necessary as it only changes one boss in the game and you may get a bit burnt out if you do that while playing through the whole series. Then again the game's super short so maybe it wouldn't affect you.

MM 1-10
MMX 1-8
Megaman Zero 1-4
MM X Command Mission
Megaman ZX 1&2
Megaman Soccer
Rockman & Forte
Street Fighter X Megaman

I.....I don't know if I could handle how happy that would make me. I literally think that would do the same thing to me as any drug/alcohol cocktail imaginable. I feel like I'd have to just tell my wife and daughter that Daddy's going away into TV land for the next two weeks to ceaselessly murder Wily's robots and maverick reploids and that I'll be back when the future is safe and peace is secured. That's the kind of collection that could end a marriage.

No real reason to be honest. My daughter wanted to see Megaman games at different times and I kind of just played what she allowed me to play at any given moment lol. As for the bolded, I don't know that it's really necessary as it only changes one boss in the game and you may get a bit burnt out if you do that while playing through the whole series. Then again the game's super short so maybe it wouldn't affect you.

Yeah, I'll see how I feel after a runthrough with X.

Done with X2. Still pretty great, but I think the simplicity of the first game elevates it over the second. It felt like I had to backtrack a ton in X2 to grab everything. Fucked up Agile, Wolverine Neo Sigma, and a couple clones with the Shoryuken. So beautiful.

poodaddy

Yeah, I'll see how I feel after a runthrough with X.

Done with X2. Still pretty great, but I think the simplicity of the first game elevates it over the second. It felt like I had to backtrack a ton in X2 to grab everything. Fucked up Agile, Wolverine Neo Sigma, and a couple clones with the Shoryuken. So beautiful.

Lol right? I always thought Sigmas design in that was a total Wolverine ode, especially since Capcom had a good working relationship with Marvel at the time, but now I wonder if it was more inspired by Vega. I noticed that his dive claw thing after he teleports is fairly similar to Vegas dive claw in pose and animation. I mean X is a shoto after all so....seems feasible lol. Ryu vs Vega/X vs Sigma? I don't know I'm probably just reaching, but Capcom loves their Easter eggs. And also, when ya think about it, Zero is basically a pissed off Ken.

Which makes Axl shit tier Dan.

Rambaldi

Command Mission is AWESOME.

It has to be included in a collection. I fully expect one to be released since we got Legacy Collection. Which means I'm also expecting Capcom to disappoint me.

poodaddy

Voice acting aside, the cutscenes themselves were good. Sigma VS Maverick Zero was amazing.

I've got a Zero save that's right before Sigma so I can see that shit anytime I want. Yes I know YouTube's a thing but it's not the same lol. Love that scene so much.

Top Bottom