• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOA producer Hayashi confirms they are making latest entry of DOAX

fertygo

I can believe the existence of god easily now.

Day 1 pre-order
Will double-dip when it ported to Steam
Will gift the game when the deals is on

Fredrik

I dont know why people complain about cosmetic dlc. Its not essential to the game, and its not like you have to buy everything. I wish my favorite games had tons of cosmetic dlc.
It's more fun and rewarding if you unlock the extra content by completing certain tasks and also increases the replayability. The cosmetic payed DLCs are just a way to cash in on their biggest fans. They should reward their fans instead, 50 hours playtime = 1 new costume set, started the game 10 times = 1 set, and the game could get updated with new gameplay challenges to get new costume sets.

xion4360

It's more fun and rewarding if you unlock the extra content by completing certain tasks and also increases the replayability. The cosmetic payed DLCs are just a way to cash in on their biggest fans. They should reward their fans instead, 50 hours playtime = 1 new costume set, started the game 10 times = 1 set, and the game could get updated with new gameplay challenges to get new costume sets.

thats a rather new concept to fighting games that Street Fighter V is doing. You cant blame DOA for not really doing that.

Pimpbaa

please fix the boob physics and minigames so it's more like the original DOAX and not the awful sequel.

Why would you want next to no boob physics? The boob physics from DOA5 LR will do just fine in this game.

I dont know why people complain about cosmetic dlc. Its not essential to the game, and its not like you have to buy everything. I wish my favorite games had tons of cosmetic dlc.

I guess because back in the days, most of that stuff was free via accomplishing some type of tasks. Cosmetic or not, some people probably feel like then are not getting the entire game. It would love to own 100% of the game, but since it's only cosmetic I won't lose sleep over it. Costumes are one thing, but DLC for extra characters, weapons, levels, etc that genuinely alter the game experience can definitely be disappointing to gamers who want the entire package.

synce

Fuck.... I might have to buy a PS4 for this. Hoping Tecmo continues with their PC support. Anyway can't wait to see those next gen ass physics.

Endo Punk

Purchasing dlc will really depend on how good NT are with unlockable content in the game. If i feel the game has a good amount then sure i'll purchase a few more to show support. I'm not against cosmetic dlc only if its not to the detriment of in-game content.

eMpTy23

Please come to PC and please have all features...

Day 1 if it comes to a platform I own no matter how bad the port may be.

Eolz

For the "this will be problematic"/press comments:

Venturebeat interview from 2014 with Tom Lee:

As a fighting game, our position on Dead or Alive is that we are creating female characters in an obvious fantasy setting where they compete with other male and female characters using extraordinary abilities. They are each strong and unique in their own individual way. And they are no less powerful than any of their male counterparts/opponents.

So, if we’re going to showcase strong female fighting characters in a game, why not make them look beautiful as well? Obviously, beauty is a subjective thing and everyone has their own opinions or interpretations of it. And that opinion of beauty also changes and varies from time to time and from culture to culture. We choose to represent our fantasy female characters in the manner in which we’ve become notable for.

But, we also don’t feel that we are demeaning women by doing so and we certainly don’t condone that type of attitude or behavior. We want to portray our female characters as strong, sexy, confident and attractive fighters.

Sure, some people may find our presentation of this notion in poor taste or even juvenile. Even within our own team, we have our differences in opinion about what is tasteful or appropriate. And we’re well aware of our critics who continue to accuse us of objectifying females.

However, we as well as most of our fans around the world don’t share the same sentiments as our critics. We are creating video game characters in a fantasy setting. Their actions, aesthetics and overall visual presentation is more than obviously set in a light-hearted, over-the-top, candy coated universe. The dissimilarity from REAL life women, situations and settings should be pretty apparent as soon as you start our game. And we feel most gamers in this day an age are sophisticated enough to make this distinction quite easily.

MCV interview with Yosuke Hayashi from 2012:

Has anything about the production or marketing of Dead or Alive 5 been changed in any way after the recent furore surrounding representations of women in games, considering that the franchise is known for its oversexualised female characters?

With the representation of female characters in the Dead or Alive franchise, we’ve always wanted to make the girls look as attractive as possible, and that’s something that’s not going to change for us at all.

We are a Japanese developer, and we’re making the female characters with our common sense and our creative sense. When you take that to countries outside of Japan, it tends to be very misinterpreted in some cases, people considering it sexist or derogatory etc.

For us, within our culture, we’re showing women like that, and we’re trying to make them look attractive. We can’t help if other cultures in other countries around the globe think that it’s a bad representation. Within our nationality and within our national borders, we obviously have morals that we create our female characters from, but within our Japanese sensibilities, we’ve made those characters the way they are and we’re not going to stop doing that.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Probably wanna put Marie Rose on the bench for this one.

A sizable portion of Japan's audience is probably clamoring for a new one because of Marie Rose, sadly.

Jintor

it's certainly a much better response than hayashi's "WE'RE JAPAN AND RAH RAH IMPLIED CULTURAL IMPERIALISM".

Parfait

Probably wanna put Marie Rose on the bench for this one.

A sizable portion of Japan's audience is probably clamoring for a new one because of Marie Rose, sadly.

Why you gotta discriminate against the 500 year old vampire just because she has small breasts

maybe you shouldn't body shame and

Mike Golf

Can't wait for this, was continously hoping we'd get another one. They need to make this an add on to LR, maybe around $30, so all costume DLC transfers between the two. Bikinis for the fight and for the beach, problem solved.

Really hoping they step up the model detail on both the characters and environments; the character models just beg for tesselation to enhance their features and adding in tressfx or some other form of hair physics would be fantastic. Hopefully tesselation and a greater poly count in general can iron out my only issue with the breast physics which is that when they bounce upward and the underside where they connect to the chest can be seen, it just doesn't look right. That along with stretching of the clothing or skin texture at that same point makes the illusion fall apart for me.

For anyone championing the old way we got costumes unlocked, DOA5 has and continues to do that with every release. There was a fine selection to unlock in the first release and more were added for each expansion. That hasn't gone away, we just now have more to choose from after unlocking the initial costumes via DLC. I'm not a usual champion of DLC due to the rampant ripping of release content then made into purchasable DLC by various publishers over the years but in DOA's case I see nothing wrong. The game has "$500 in DLC LOL" because it's been out for two to three years and has amassed that much, many of which has been added in when each expansion has come out.

Bring on more bikinis and cool outfits I say, my wallet is ready and not so ready for the beating every time. Although an approach like SFV would be a great alternative to be honest but I don't remember that reveal mentioning costumes, just characters.

Skilletor

Sad they're wasting time on this series, but maybe it'll show us what DoA6 character models are going to look like.

It isn't a new concept, most games used to have unlockables earned by playing the game.

And DoA5LR has more content on disc than any DoA ever has before. The last iteration of DoA5 had just a few outfits shy of DoA2U.

xion4360

It isn't a new concept, most games used to have unlockables earned by playing the game.

This is from the first D.O.A (1998): http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197064-dead-or-alive/cheats
Tekken 3: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/198900-tekken-3/cheats
etc.

we are talking about DLC costumes.. content that was designed and created months and years after the release of the title.. not in any way the same thing as unlockable content, which DOA5 had plenty of, and both DOA5U and DOA5LR had even more of.

I heard Street Fighter V is doing something where future DLC content can either be purchased traditionally or earned with in game currency, thats the new thing I was talking about for fighting games. Doa5 is an old game at this point so its not designed to support a system like that. DOAX has Zack Dollars already, maybe they can do an in-game currency thing there.

JordanN

Banned
It's gonna have VR innit

Summer Lesson competition.

UyM5rnF.jpg

Funny enough, it's made by the same Tekken team.

Great news. It took me about 3 years to unlock all the achievements for DoAX2. Hopefully the new game will offer a similar challenge. Fun volleyball, skimpy swimsuits and a PC release will make me buy this for sure.

MCD

I really hope they focus on the volleyball gameplay as much as they do with the sexy whatever stuff. we need a good volleyball game.

Cleve

Am I the only one who actually wish they'd focus more on the Jet Ski aspect than the volleyball one?

More like importing it for the super expensive collector edition

Will it have a boob mousepad or a pillow cover?

Uhh yeah!

The crazy thing is boobs are amazing, but somehow the idea of playing a new volleyball and jet ski game are equally as great.
Now somehow shoehorn snowboarding into it, then I can play all the cool sports games that nobody makes anymore.

Fuckin finally. Females only plz xD
Yes, developing male character models is too difficult.

They'd require new animations and voices, their anatomy is more complex, and Team Ninja simply lacks the manpower and production resources to devote even a moment's notice to the mysterious, occasionally off-putting, and demographically unpopular wang.

Top Bottom