• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DoA5: Last Round PC will launch without online, will be patched in within 3 months

ShinMaruku

"Eh, that's Ok for a first-time effort."

What? No, it's not.

Looking at history it is. You expect a Japanese studio to jump into steam and knock it out of the park? In a genre that even when done right has limited reach on pcs? It's shit that it's like that but like many things in life you have to live with it.

Nillansan

Dead or Alive more like Dead on Arrival.

Not really, no.

hyKRPEj.png

It has taken the seventh spot on the top sellers list, it doesn't seem like a bad start to me.

Looking at history it is. You expect a Japanese studio to jump into steam and knock it out of the park? In a genre that even when done right has limited reach on pcs? It's shit that it's like that but like many things in life you have to live with it.

How do you know? Mortal Kombat did quite well on Steam, also this is the first proper 3D fighter on Steam and with all those potential waifus, people will eat it up raw.

How stupid. But it's probably to test the online (if anything is changing) on the consoles first so that they have a better idea for PC. Which is still stupid.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"Eh, that's Ok for a first-time effort."

What? No, it's not.

While I get the outrage, I think it is fine insofar as them promising it within the three months. If it's four months later and they don't have the online? Rage, sure. But this is Tecmo/Team Ninja's first Steam/PC title. For all we know, they're scrapping the terrible network code on PSN/XBL's console versions and doing Steamworks, which seeing Capcom use... wasn't good. They may need that 3 months to not have a Ultra Street 4 Steamworks port situation. I'm fine with it.

TGMIII

While I get the outrage, I think it is fine insofar as them promising it within the three months. If it's four months later and they don't have the online? Rage, sure. But this is Tecmo/Team Ninja's first Steam/PC title. For all we know, they're scrapping the terrible network code on PSN/XBL's console versions and doing Steamworks, which seeing Capcom use... wasn't good. They may need that 3 months to not have a Ultra Street 4 Steamworks port situation. I'm fine with it.

If it's a genuine attempt at getting the netcode done correctly then I can deal with the delay. I just hope that this isn't foreshadowing a poor port in general.

Tecmo need to communicate with everyone and let us know now what features the game will or won't have. How they handle this could have huge implications for future titles of theirs on steam. A little courtesy goes a long way in an industry that almost seems like it's out to fuck every consumer it can.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If it's a genuine attempt at getting the netcode done correctly then I can deal with the delay. I just hope that this isn't foreshadowing a poor port in general.

That's what I'm saying. Wait until 4 months/the netcode is out before raging. The console netcode (especially the portable port/+!) was terrible. We dunno what they're doing, but if they're pulling a King of Fighters '13
which died in a week after the beta since most fighting players played on consoles for tournaments instead. *sigh*
netcode improvement deal, I'm fine with the delay.

They should really just delay the whole game. It's like they're doing this to fluff up their financials for a particular quarter or something.

E: Wow, that blurb is hidden at the very bottom of the description, after you click read more. For people assuming that this version will be better than the console version/have the same features...this will be a nasty surprise.

That no online at launch stipulation should be a NOTICE at the top of the page. Especially for a 2 year old $40 game.

Ketkat

Online play in fighters is generally inferior, dont really see the issue

I kind of agree, for those of us who don't really care about online play, we get to play the game 3 months earlier than the rest. I don't see why everyone is demanding for them to delay the game when you can just wait until the online patch comes out.

Card Boy

Banned
NEVER buy a game with the promise it will get patched later, its just asking for trouble when the devs bail out.

The Shatter devs promised the PS3 version would get the PC update stuff, it never happened. Capcom promised PS3 trophies for SSF2THDR, it never happended.

Only reason people will buy this game for the PC is for a perv factor with the incentive of nude mods, and other risque outfit mods. I predict this will not hurt their sales at all.

Draft

I get this impression Japanese developers think the PC audience is so desperate for games they'll accept inferior port jobs. Someone must be feeding this to them. Probably a little corporate espionage from Sony. Keeping the good stuff Playstation exclusive.

Let's be honest. You damn well know that Tecmo seen how SFxT and even Ultra turned out on PC. Especially SFxT. (Dead Online/No Online, but people still play it for the mods). You know most people are gunna be focusing on mods for the female characters in this game. So that will keep a decent amount of PC players good for a while. I'll wait for my Green Man Gaming VIP discount.

Melchior

How long after launch until people get the nude mods running. I give it a few hours max.

How is the combat in DoA anyway. It looks as if it would play like Soul Calibur so I might pick this up if it does.

I get this impression Japanese developers think the PC audience is so desperate for games they'll accept inferior port jobs. Someone must be feeding this to them. Probably a little corporate espionage from Sony. Keeping the good stuff Playstation exclusive.

This is their first attempt at a PC release. If people want more Dead or Alive on PC and want to see great PC versions of these games then they should bite the bullet and buy the game even without the online stuff. Imagine what would have happened had people seen the Dark Souls port with its 720p res and said "I'm not buying". Would we have ever gotten the much improved Dark Souls 2?

Obviously I'm not saying gamers should buy every incomplete or bad version that gets thrown their way. But we all know that for many Japanese developers PC gaming is uncharted territory. I think we can find it in our hearts to cut them some slack and support them until they find their bearings on the platform and provide us with the versions we want.

Pranay

hahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

I want it on PC but I am already kind of apprehensive buying the game a 3rd time, I guess this is a good enough reason to wait. No clue how good this netcode will be either.
Well, it's about the mods after all.

No it really isn't.

Only reason people will buy this game for the PC is for a perv factor with the incentive of nude mods, and other risque outfit mods. I predict this will not hurt their sales at all.

Did you ever think someone might just want a good recent 3D fighter on PC? Quit talking out of your ass.
I played the crap out of DoA 5 and DoA5U I want this game for a much a improved netcode on a platform I would prefer to play games on.
Mods are the thing am worried the least about. Nude models already exist on the internet as it is so quit thinking that's the only reason someone would play DoA for.

NEVER buy a game with the promise it will get patched later, its just asking for trouble when the devs bail out.

The Shatter devs promised the PS3 version would get the PC update stuff, it never happened. Capcom promised PS3 trophies for SSF2THDR, it never happended.

Never pay for potential

I get this impression Japanese developers think the PC audience is so desperate for games they'll accept inferior port jobs..

We are desperate for Japanese game ports. Although not as risky as it would have been before, the reason why they didn't port earlier games is because they didn't believe they would make their money back.
When they randomly ported DW8XL to PC almost a year later after the initial release, even though it was inferior to the PS4 version (well it had better framerate at least lol) it sold so well that we are now getting DW8E on PC at the exact same time as the release on previous consoles.

You are correct in not supporting a subpar port, but doing so can mean that we will hopefully get the next game released at the same time on PC and a (hopefully) better port. Like someone else pointed out above, we probably would not have gotten Dark Souls 2 if Dark Souls didn't sell well enough.

That being said you should still just wait if you care about the online. Just go play some other games and then read reviews of the online when it comes out and either laugh at the people who own the game or join them

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Well, that's when I'll get it then.

And when the mods are out.

zma1013

The modding community will probably have an online version working before they patch it in. What is going on? Stop releasing unfinished shit.

TomShoe

Banned
Absolutely disgusting. This is just a publisher rushing out a game so they can start making money ASAP. Buying this used, they won't get a cent from me.

AAK

How long after launch until people get the nude mods running. I give it a few hours max.

It shouldn't be that hard considering they're practically naked anyway.

How is the combat in DoA anyway. It looks as if it would play like Soul Calibur so I might pick this up if it does.

If you have a ps3, just do what I did and download the f2p version to try the game for yourself. I liked it and then bought the full thing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This is their first attempt at a PC release. If people want more Dead or Alive on PC and want to see great PC versions of these games then they should bite the bullet and buy the game even without the online stuff. Imagine what would have happened had people seen the Dark Souls port with its 720p res and said "I'm not buying". Would we have ever gotten the much improved Dark Souls 2?

Obviously I'm not saying gamers should buy every incomplete or bad version that gets thrown their way. But we all know that for many Japanese developers PC gaming is uncharted territory. I think we can find it in our hearts to cut them some slack and support them until they find their bearings on the platform and provide us with the versions we want.

This post is just a big pile of bullshit. This is the classic Capcom ransom reasoning and its garbage. I do not care if its your first or one hundredth PC port. You release a complete fucking product.

You mention Dark Souls. First one was a shit port fixed up by a member of the PC community. Namco STILL can't get the damn thing over to Steamworks. Dark Souls 2 being much improved? Lest you forget the graphical nonsense surrounding the release. Turns out, it was pretty much a beta test for the real version coming next year.

- Graphics and performance upgrades (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Improved online multiplayer (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Enemy and game design adjustments (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)

See this shit? The real meat? Have to buy the game again. Sorry about that. What bullshit.

How quickly we forget the fervor this forum was in over the mass of incomplete games released just in November and you still apologize for these products? I'm done "biting the bullet." We may as well rename it to "shoot yourself in the mouth."

its frustrating for sure, but Ill take the game minus netplay for 3 months over a delay of the whole game. It really should be there day and date with all releases

Im glad they are at least up front about it, and Ill be more mad if its a trend that continues

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Got this for $15 via RussiaGAF.

I don't understand people saying they should've just delayed it. I'd rather play the SP content and local MP while I wait than not have it at all for months.

And man, i really detest the idea that people only buy this for the waifus. It's such a solid fighting game with outstanding visuals. I've been a fan since DOA2 on the DC and always mained the bruce lee clone.

Not for $40

To take it even further: what if Dark Souls: PTD edition launched with competent graphics/resolution features, but without online/PVP features? We can't fix that. That would have absolutely killed the game's PC community from the get go.

This release is a feature incomplete port that will be inferior to both the last and current gen versions for an ambiguous amount of time on principal alone.

Do you know how many people were and still are upset about the steam release of BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, which was, at the time, an obsolete version of that game, that STILL to this day has no online play!?

SerTapTap

No, PC gaming is just a super minority in Japan and thus not a big deal to devs that barely focus on the west to begin with. Not like western devs are all super awesome with PC ports either.

"This post is just a big pile of bullshit. This is the classic Capcom ransom reasoning and its garbage. I do not care if its your first or one hundredth PC port. You release a complete fucking product. "

This. Koei Tecmo is a publisher and developer with dozens of titles released over the course of decades. There are developers out there releasing their very first game (at least, as a company) that come out fully featured (See: Skullgirls).

It being their first PC Port is not an excuse.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
No, PC gaming is just a super minority in Japan and thus not a big deal to devs that barely focus on the west to begin with. Not like western devs are all super awesome with PC ports either.

Man, if you think japanese devs by and large don't care about sales in the west you're dead wrong. It's a huge market for them.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man, if you think japanese devs by and large don't care about sales in the west you're dead wrong. It's a huge market for them.

They sure as heck act like it isn't half the time. People have eyes and can see that with the quality of products or even lack of releases, this is not the case.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
They sure as heck act like it isn't half the time. People have eyes and can see that with the quality of products or even lack of releases, this is not the case.

Well the Japanese console game market in general has taken a nose dive in the last 10 years, but that's a whole different topic.

Top Bottom