• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOA5:LR Community Soft-Bans 100+ Costumes from Tournaments

Come on when this

and this

Are the default outfits trying to eliminate the sexy costumes becomes laughable. If they want to just soft ban all dlc costumes as an excuse to save money from having to have every machine at tournaments have $100s of dollars in costume dlc for every character that's fine no one would complain about that rule change :p

Nimby

Banned
Who are the people who make these decisions? Did they honestly think it would just go unnoticed given all the shit going on now. Now all of this negative publicity for nothing and many people said they are still using the outfits they enjoy. Completely pointless.

Come on when this
and this
Are the default outfits trying to eliminate the sexy costumes becomes laughable. If they want to just soft ban all dlc costumes as an excuse to save money from having to have every machine at tournaments have $100s of dollars in costume dlc for every character that's fine no one would complain about that rule change :p
This is what makes it even more hilarious. The default outfits are super sexy which causes their reasoning to smell like complete bullshit.

well on the other hand, you have side boobs flipping around in doa. Different kind of distraction but still can be a distraction that is all in game. Fine by me. Are they going to ban taunting and teabagging too?

To be honest, I don't really care about any of that stuff if people taunt or teabag. On the costume side of things, if it effects the other person's ability to judge distance, that distraction is in it's own league of annoying. That's why Blanka's costume is really bad, it's a huge bunch of feathers, that make it harder to judge where the top of his hitbox is when you jump in on him and makes it much harder to judge the size of his rolls, since you can hit him out of it with correct spacing, but in that costume the roll looks much larger.

In this case where it's just someone's subjective taste instead of being the type of eyesore that would mess with your judgment of spacing, it's up to the TO. I'm usually for no censorship but when you go to the tournament it's the TO's rules and when you sign up you agree to them. So if the TO wants to enforce, it the players will have to play it as is. All they can do is try to carry a discussion but since it seems people are closing comments on FSD it's probably a shut case at this point.

Sophia

This is what makes it even more hilarious. The default outfits are super sexy which causes their reasoning to smell like complete bullshit.

I still find it hilarious that the only outfit of Marie's they banned is the only one which isn't gothic or fetish wear in some way. That alone should be enough justification for criticism, an it doesn't make any sense.

they banned some of the debut outfits

As far as I can tell from that list, none of the defaults are banned tho.

evangd007

No offense, but your word and the word of everyone else invoking, "But the series has TONS of female fans!!" is meaningless. There are either stats to back the claim up or you guys may as well be pulling it out of your ass.

Kayane, the most well-known female fighting game pro, first made a name for herself by taking second place at a DOA 2 tournament at the age of 9. Her handle is a combination of the names Kasumi and Ayane. She mains DOA and Soul Calibur.

Awful.

Maybe people should learn to take seriously as a game something that is sexy, instead of trying to change its identity.

Agreed. This is so sex-negative it hurts.

I've heard of games with costume selection banning skins because of hit box incosistencies and costume features hiding moves, but this is ridiculous.

I still find it hilarious that the only outfit of Marie's they banned is the only one which isn't gothic or fetish wear in some way. That alone should be enough justification for criticism, an it doesn't make any sense.

As far as I can tell from that list, none of the defaults are banned tho.

O you meant default. I read debut.

I love DoA, but watching people play without any of the games sex appeal present, is very boring.
I think if DoA had the high technical skill requirement that something like SF4 has in competitive play, it would be more popular.

ShinMaruku

I love DoA, but watching people play without any of the games sex appeal present, is very boring.
I think if DoA had the high technical skill requirement that something like SF4 has in competitive play, it would be more popular.

I suggest you watch Phase 4 matches. There is high skill requirement. And the games with the highest skill requirements are very small. (Tekken and VF)

cwistofu

I think your view of the series is exactly what this move is trying to correct. DOA5 is a very competent fighting game that people ignore because they can't see past the boobs flopping every which way.

And don't get me wrong, I've bought my fair share of bunny and school girl outfits, but if this community wants to be taken seriously, I think this is a very reasonable step in that direction.

antitrop

And don't get me wrong, I've bought my fair share of bunny and school girl outfits, but if this community wants to be taken seriously, I think this is a very reasonable step in that direction.
A reasonable step to being taken seriously would be to accept the game for what it is, or choose a different game to play.

I suggest you watch Phase 4 matches. There is high skill requirement. And the games with the highest skill requirements are very small. (Tekken and VF)

I use Phase 4 myself semi-regularly and dont find the timing on her combos/teleports very difficult..
I used to watch that Sako guy on youtube playing SF4 and he'd do his jhk>cr.hp>st.mp>c.mk>mk Cannon Drill combo with Cammy in high pressure situations and it was pretty amazing to watch. Thats the kind of technical skill requirement Im talking about and I dont think DoA has anything like it. Stuff like that is all through SF4 which is why I respect the technical skill and timing of those high level players.
From what I have seen of VF, the combat has no visual flair and is boring to watch, irrespective of the skill required to play it well. DoA has fast paced, stylish combat but not really anything I can look at and say "wow, I cant believe that guy pulled off that combo" - like SF4 does.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Heh.

It's like they're so hard in pretending to make DOA what it's not when the game itself being unapologetic about what it is.

Shame.

I think your view of the series is exactly what this move is trying to correct. DOA5 is a very competent fighting game that people ignore because they can't see past the boobs flopping every which way.

I agree with you that DoA is a very competent fighting game, but I think one of the reasons its less popular than something like SF4 is because (like I said above) it doesnt give the players opportunities to really show off high technical skills. In many cases, I think having only 1 punch and 1 kick button will make the game look very shallow to the average SF player straight away, when they are used to 3 punches and 3 kick attacks.
I think the T&A attracts players, rather than discourages them. Maybe not in public settings (like tournaments) but in overall numbers.

antitrop

Who ignores it?

If it's about viewer numbers, I feel like removing the sex appeal would have the opposite intended effect. Whose attention are they trying to get with this?

Is there a large group of competent DoA players that don't compete, because they are ashamed of the game's themes? It doesn't make any sense to me. All they're saying is "we don't like the titties in our titty game". Which is fine, they don't have to, but we're free to call them ridiculous for it.

cwistofu

A reasonable step to being taken seriously would be to accept the game for what it is, or choose a different game to play.

Maybe you don't know what 'reasonable' means, but 'stop playing the game seriously if you don't think skimpy costumes are necessary' is not reasonable.

Besides, who cares what the tourney scene does? I'm willing to bet most of the people complaining about this don't even care about the tourney scene and they're moaning about something that doesn't affect them at all. No one is stopping you from playing online with Momiji in a white T-shirt and panties with your curtains drawn and your pants off.

Dugna

Who ignores it?

If it's about viewer numbers, I feel like removing the sex appeal would have the opposite intended effect. Whose attention are they trying to get with this?

Is there a large group of competent DoA players that don't compete, because they are ashamed of the game's themes? It doesn't make any sense to me. All they're saying is "we don't like the titties in our titty game". Which is fine, they don't have to, but we're free to call them ridiculous for it.

Embrace the wacky and weird, Tekken fans do and it goes pretty fine there.

antitrop

Besides, who cares what the tourney scene does? I'm willing to bet most of the people complaining about this don't even care about the tourney scene and they're moaning about something that doesn't affect them at all. No one is stopping you from playing online with Momiji in a white T-shirt and panties with your curtains drawn and your pants off.

Isn't the entire point of this that they care what we think about them? The entire thing is posturing, in an attempt to legitimize/cover up a game that has always (and probably will always be) as much about bouncing jugs as it is about roundhouse kicks.

They're doing this precisely because they care so much about how they're perceived by the general public, as fans of the game. I think that's silly. It's immature.

cwistofu

Isn't the entire point of this that they care what we think about them? The entire thing is posturing, in an attempt to legitimize/cover up a game that has always (and probably will always be) as much about bouncing jugs as it is about roundhouse kicks.

People who enjoy the game for the sex appeal are not the target audience for this move. People looking for a legitimate fighting game who are pushed away from DOA5 because of sex appeal is the target audience. The community is trying to foster a more professional image to be taken more seriously by and attract more professional players.

I'm not really sure why that's so hard to comprehend. They're not saying 'HEY SCREW YOU IF YOU LIKE TITTIES IN YOUR FACE!'

EDIT: This shouldn't bother people and keep them from enjoying DOA5 in their own way, just like professional Smash doesn't prevent me from playing 4-player free-for-all with Pokeballs and Assist Trophies up on Max.

Who are the people who make these decisions? Did they honestly think it would just go unnoticed given all the shit going on now. Now all of this negative publicity for nothing and many people said they are still using the outfits they enjoy. Completely pointless.

The players themselves came up with the decision and are self-policing the rule through out this year's Battle Royal 2015. This has already been in effect since Winterbrawl... so all the people who are suddenly outraged the last day or two either don't participate in DOA tournaments, or don't watch DOA streams.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Meh.

All this ban does to me is make it obvious that they're ashamed of what the game is.

And that *does* make me take them even *less* seriously. Again, such a shame.

cwistofu

How is this not futile?

Futile or not, that's not the question. And if you want to go down the "why bother" line of questioning, why bother getting riled up over this if--again--it impacts you and your enjoyment of the game in absolutely no way whatsoever?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Also, it's funny that the intention behind this is to mask the "sexualization" and yet none of the males costumes are being banned.

"Hey, you can't sexualize the ladies, but the men? Go for it YEAHH!"

Heh.

The community is trying to foster a more professional image to be taken more seriously by and attract more professional players.
How does this serve to draw in more professional players? All this really amounts to is "ignoring" the sexy stuff. The sexy stuff is still there. A professional interested in a fighting game should have been able to look past the sexy stuff to begin with.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
This just seems pointless. 3D fighters (excluding Soul Calibur) all blend together in my head already but DOA at least has the sex appeal to help it stand out.

RM8

Also, it's funny that the intention behind this is to mask the "sexualization" and yet none of the males costumes are being banned.

"Hey, you can't sexualize the ladies, but the men? Go for it YEAHH!"

Heh.
Are there any male outfits that are basically nude except for the private parts? The MMA stuff is hardly lewd, lol.

antitrop

Futile or not, that's not the question. And if you want to go down the "why bother" line of questioning, why bother getting riled up over this if--again--it impacts you and your enjoyment of the game in absolutely no way whatsoever?

I'm not riled up, though. I just think they're being silly and actually detrimental to their own cause.

How does this serve to draw in more professional players? All this really amounts to is "ignoring" the sexy stuff. The sexy stuff is still there. A professional interested in a fighting game should have been able to look past the sexy stuff to begin with.

It's funny when DOA 5 launched the pros were interested in the game. If you go on youtube and watch the Canada Cup 2012 DOA 5 grand finals- it was Tokido vs Gamerbee.

DOA tournaments now just consist of the same 15-20 guys... and the only one known outside of DOA is Sonic Fox... nobody else wants to face the stigma surrounded by the game (not to mention the meager prize pool).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Are there any male outfits that are basically nude except for the private parts? The MMA stuff is hardly lewd, lol.

Well, the same criteria that are seemingly applied to the banned costumes would definitely make many of the costumes for men are banned as well if those criterias are applied to them *and* the men happens to be a female.

Clefargle

How prudish, and a little hypocritical. If you're going to play that game, at least admit that you're playing it and stop trying to self censor.

It's funny when DOA 5 launched the pros were interested in the game. If you go on youtube and watch the Canada Cup 2012 DOA 5 grand finals- it was Tokido vs Gamerbee.

DOA tournaments now just consist of the same 15-20 guys... and the only one known outside of DOA is Sonic Fox... nobody else wants to face the stigma surrounded by the game (not to mention the meager prize pool).

Are you really sure that they really stopped because it was sexualized? I remember watching streams of VF players playing and Momochi was also doing Akira combos but a lot of these guys migrate to whatever game they want to get competitive in. The likes of Tokido play basically every fighting game and Gamerbee is also really good at both Tekken and VF. Tekken has a lot of competitive events compared to DOA and VF still has Sega cup, so people still have to play and keep up to be competitive. DOA comparatively barely has anything, they basically are regulated to side tournaments and on to the secondary stream. The pros who used to play it and stop seem to have a pretty easy reason, it's competitive community isn't as big and there is less incentive to keep on playing, when they can practice and focus on things like winning 500k from the Capcom Cup circuit, especially since it's going to be really competitive just to make it this year.

Aselith

I don't mind the oversexualized outfits but I AM extremely annoyed that it doesn't seem to have a lot of unsexualized costumes.

Serious question. Who exactly decided the coustume ban? Is it this Highs guy, or your TO?

Hubbs and the 'community' did. Who hes referring to as 'community' I dont know. I dont even know if Eric knows anything about whats going on yet.

Direct quotes:

"..was discussed by several members of the community.."

"..Sex Appeal in the DOA franchise will never go away but we, the community, want people to take it seriously.."

But no names were given.

Dugna

Hubbs and the 'community' did. Who hes referring to as 'community' I dont know. I dont even know if Eric knows anything about whats going on yet.

Direct quotes:

"..was discussed by several members of the community.."

"..Sex Appeal in the DOA franchise will never go away but we, the community, want people to take it seriously.."

But no names were given.

Again it's Kotaku what do you expect?

Are you really sure that they really stopped because it was sexualized? I remember watching streams of VF players playing and Momochi was also doing Akira combos but a lot of these guys migrate to whatever game they want to get competitive in. The likes of Tokido play basically every fighting game and Gamerbee is also really good at both Tekken and VF. Tekken has a lot of competitive events compared to DOA and VF still has Sega cup, so people still have to play and keep up to be competitive. DOA comparatively barely has anything, they basically are regulated to side tournaments and on to the secondary stream. The pros who used to play it and stop seem to have a pretty easy reason, it's competitive community isn't as big and there is less incentive to keep on playing, when they can practice and focus on things like winning 500k from the Capcom Cup circuit, especially since it's going to be really competitive just to make it this year.

Funny how many pro Street Fighter and Marvel players also enter Xrd and UNIEL at tournaments...those are small pots and smaller communities. Canada Cup 2012 was the last time any known pros were seen entering DOA with the exception of Sonic Fox... and he mostly plays because of his brother Kwiggle.

Kinyou

If one of the girls would be in an MMA outfit like that it likely would be banned though. The bans seems to be purely based on how much skin is shown, and not actually how lewd the costume is. For example are the Nurse outfits apparently all still in.

Edit:Actually, compare these two.

What makes the bottom one more lewd than the other?

Funny how many pro Street Fighter and Marvel players also enter Xrd and UNIEL at tournaments...those are small pots and smaller communities. Canada Cup 2012 was the last time any known pros were seen entering DOA with the exception of Sonic Fox... and he mostly plays because of his brother Kwiggle.

It's also funny how many of them also drop other games. Tokido no longer plays Marvel, no one plays SFXT. Xrd and Uniel are much more recent than DOA and Xrd is actually pretty popular. It's not uncommon for people to scale back on the number of games they enter to focus on games they want to win. Gamerbee is really focused on SF now but you can find videos of him playing Julia in T6. Guys like Gamerbee and Tokido are multigame specialist, it's pretty common to see them hop around multiple games. A lot of players in general play a lot of different games, eventually they focus on a select few when it gets later in a games lifetime because you need to be more dedicated to win. And yet this trend does not indicate anything about people dropping it because of the stigma around the game, the honeymoon phase for the game is over, attendance will naturally drop over time.

Top Bottom