• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series Seven |OT| The Question You've Been Running From All Your Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
We all know that feel, bro. Absolutely dreadful.

It truly truly was. Amy bringing back the Doctor at the end of Big Bang was almost as bad, but thankfully its only like two minutes long, so I can just kind of mentally gloss over it and remember how completely awesome the rest of that finale was.

Quick

Banned
I was expecting this megaton finale, then all of a sudden, RESET BUTTON. I wasn't angry or annoyed or even disappointed on my first viewing, but I remember being dumbfounded by it.

Then we get "they used to call me the face of boe."

I'd quite like to see Captain Jack come back at some point, but part of me thinks his character does really belong in the previous series. Much more camp.

Diablos54

It truly truly was. Amy bringing back the Doctor at the end of Big Bang was almost as bad, but thankfully its only like two minutes long, so I can just kind of mentally gloss over it and remember how completely awesome the rest of that finale was.
At least that part made sense and was foreshadowed. Better than JESUS DOCTOR!! I hated that shit.

I've rewatched series 6 recently and it feels much better now that it has had time to sink in, there are quite a few bits that sit better the second time, especially Let's Kill Hitler. That episode really alarmed me when I was watching it the first time and thought they were forcing in a new character like that, but going back to it that feeling makes sense - it should be alarming when someone is just planted in your life like that.

The finale also feels nicer a second time even if it is still a bit rushed.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've rewatched series 6 recently and it feels much better now that it has had time to sink in, there are quite a few bits that sit better the second time, especially Let's Kill Hitler. That episode really alarmed me when I was watching it the first time and thought they were forcing in a new character like that, but going back to it that feeling makes sense - it should be alarming when someone is just planted in your life like that.

I'm truly honestly not trying to turn this into a "Technomancer Bitches about Who" thread but even on my third rewatch the series 6 finale was an incoherent mess of camera shots that were meant to look "awesome" and wasting the potential of the Silence after the absolutely amazing introduction in Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon

I think I'll sit this thread out for a bit now
Exactly. It worked in Big Bang because of the set up for it.
Its still bringing the Doctor back from death/oblivion by "believing in him"

Hey now!

At least that part made sense and was foreshadowed. Better than JESUS DOCTOR!! I hated that shit.

Exactly. It worked in Big Bang because of the set up for it. Where the bullshit with Last of the Time Lords was out of nowhere. And with Big Bang the threat had already been dissolved before Amy brought back the Doctor.

Grr! Getting mad all over again just thinking about the end of series 3.

Doctor (to Master): "I forgive you."
Me (to RTD): "I will never forgive you for this. I will find you and punish you for that atrocity. You task me! You task me, and I shall have you! I'll chase you round the Moons of Nibia, and round the Antares Maelstrom, and round Perdition's flames before I give you up!"

I love "Let's Kill Hitler." How can anyone possibly hate an episode that gives us this:
rory_punches_hitler___gif_by_veddabredda-d46tcon.gif

I really want to believe that this will be a return to form. I was really down on Series 6, but I'm hoping that Moffat can get back to writing something like The Empty Child and the overall quality will be a step up this year.

Alphahawk

Within the context of what was happening The Big Bang plot totally made sense though. The universe was crumbling and everything was in flux. I still think that it was brilliant.

The season 3 ending however was just terrible,

Why all the hate on Moffat and River? I love them, I love all the Doctors and companions (barring one who's fans drove me loathe her now), all the writers..

And I love everyone in this thread! /drunk confessions
Riversong’s ok for the most part but was grating in Let’s Kill Hitler; a character that worked better with the mystery.

I really would have liked it better had River regenerated into Romana or something =(

I would not want that at all. Romana is one of the best companions in the history of the show, and I wouldn't want her to be tarnished by being revealed to be a regeneration of one of the worst characters.

I'd kill for Romana to come back. Its possible, just have her start off older then regenerate later. Would be good. Richard Dawkin's married well!

ag-my001

So I guess we're going with "The Doctor lies" for his age of 1103? Looking forward to this next season, I think it will benefit the show to not have two-part episodes, if I remember reading that right. It should make the writing team focus a bit better. I liked last season's story arcs, but the number of episodes focused on Silence & River made the non-arc stories seem less important. That doesn't seem fair.

Subbed.

If we're talking Moffat successors, only Toby Whithouse will do. Being Human is godlike, and The God Complex was a classic.

I'd love for Whithouse to get the job. Being Human is one of my favorite shows on TV right now, and his Doctor Who scripts have all been pretty good so far. If Being Human has wrapped up by the time Moffat decides to move on, then I think Whithouse should be considered the favorite.

I'd like a few more episodes where time travel is a big plot point within the episode, not just a means to begin the epsiode. I loved the two parter ending to series 5 because it was mental in that regard. I mean who the fuck wasn't surprised when The Doctor materialised out of nowhere wearing a fez and carrying a broom?

EuroMIX

I actually wonder if it would be better if we had a team of writers rather than having a single show runner. I understand that the former could have its share of problems due to conflicting ideas and vision, but getting a bunch of talented writers together to share ideas and call each other out on areas that don't work would be handy. Then maybe we would have less endings like Series 3 and 6. I'd like to include Series 4 somewhat as well since the ending was probably the worst moment in an otherwise excellent series.

Edit: And can I add how utterly disappointed I was with Let's Kill Hitler as a missed opportunity for Who to cover Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act? I mean an episode where the Doctor has to keep one of, if not the, most hated people in history alive to ensure that time not be irreparably altered just seems like a better plot than... shoving him in a cupboard five minutes in and forgetting about him. Maybe an episode dealing with such questionable subject matter would be too edgy for a "family" show though.

I also rather hoped that River's hints to being put away for killing the greatest man she ever knew would mean that her last episode (the first from her point of view) would be her killing the Doctor and gifting him the rest of her regenerations as a way of ending her character arc and also solving the regenerations issue.

You may want to put in the OP that Netflix US has all the seasons including the last one. I'm on Season 4 trying to make my way through the entire series.

I'd love Neil Gaiman to be the brains behind the show for a while, with someone else actually handling the logistics of showrunning (because let's face it, he'd probably be naff at that).

Whitehouse seems more likely, though.

I'd keep Gaiman contributing an occasional script while producing his own amazing short fiction and novels rather than shackling him to Who.

I definitely think Whithouse is the natural successor to Moffat in the same way that Moffat was to RTD; a mixture of experience in showrunning critically acclaimed SFX-heavy drama and fan appeal.

Also, he can cast Aidan Turner as the Doctor, and we can all rejoice.

I wasn't even aware that Doctor Who was coming back.

Moffat era scheduling and all that shit has been awful.

Remember when spring came around and you knew that you were about to get 13 new episodes of Doctor Who. This 8 month long wait has been way too long. Even longer than the wait between Planet of the Dead and The Waters of Mars.

I actually wonder if it would be better if we had a team of writers rather than having a single show runner. I understand that the former could have its share of problems due to conflicting ideas and vision, but getting a bunch of talented writers together to share ideas and call each other out on areas that don't work would be handy. Then maybe we would have less endings like Series 3 and 6. I'd like to include Series 4 somewhat as well since the ending was probably the worst moment in an otherwise excellent series.

Edit: And can I add how utterly disappointed I was with Let's Kill Hitler as a missed opportunity for Who to cover Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act? I mean an episode where the Doctor has to keep one of, if not the, most hated people in history alive to ensure that time not be irreparably altered just seems like a better plot than... shoving him in a cupboard five minutes in and forgetting about him. Maybe an episode dealing with such questionable subject matter would be too edgy for a "family" show though.

I also rather hoped that River's hints to being put away for killing the greatest man she ever knew would mean that her last episode (the first from her point of view) would be her killing the Doctor and gifting him the rest of her regenerations as a way of ending her character arc and also solving the regenerations issue.
The problem about show runners is they can get too much power, someone really needed to suggest to Russell that making the Master eat people and wear a dress… was a bit too much.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The problem about show runners is they can get too much power, someone really needed to suggest to Russell that making the Master eat people and wear a dress… was a bit too much.

Wow, I so don't remember that.
Wait, was that when he took over a woman for his... ugh, Master race?
I'm convinced that pun was the whole reason that plan even exists.

Ok, so here's where I stand on Doctor Who.

Series six was a massive disappointment, I'm feeling like a minority when I say that I've grown tired of Moffat, it's just a constant buildup to a underwhelming finale. Series 5 was fantastic, it was a well paced, excellently timed arc. Series 6 was all over the place and had no consistent story.

I'm hoping to see an improvement for series seven. and less awful fanboy pandering by moffat.

I like Season 4. The finale was a bit of a lame duck (and FYI, Subliminal? THAT'S fanboy pandering. An original story that fails to nail the landing, not so much.) but it had enough great episodes, like Kuwabara said, to be worthwhile. Plus it introduced both of Tennant's best companions (BRING BACK WILF).

The "lowest of the low" would be The End Of Time.

JAGII

Neo Member
New thread! I've been lurking the other threads for a while, so I'll use this regeneration as an oppurtunity to start playing along with you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom