• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else ever think about eating whale?

Would you try whale? Just once?

• Total voters

iconmaster

Banned
I know it's taboo in the West, and I have a great affection for whales! But if there were an acceptable way to do it, I'd happily sink my teeth into some cetacean flesh just once.

Japanese-online-shopping--009.jpg

minke-whale-meat-big.jpg

Raw, fried or on a bun: the many ways Japanese eat whale

(Edit: thanks for moving to the correct forum, mods!)

Last edited:

Joho79

Is that afternoon or night? I’m enjoying a warm and light summer evening with some mosquitoes and beers. I’m in the mood where everybody is drunk!

Porcile

I've eaten whale. The taste is really bland. I've also had the chance to eat whale sperm sacks but my stomach wasn't quite up for that.

iconmaster

Banned
I've eaten whale. The taste is really bland. I've also had the chance to eat whale sperm sacks but my stomach wasn't quite up for that.

Thanks for sharing! I read up on it a bit and yeah, it does sound like it's a letdown. But anything is delicious fried.

Susurrus

While I lived in Japan I had whale bacon. Wasn't a fan tbh. Maybe didn't help it was served cold. I also tried packaged whale curry before (from Japan) but again wasn't a fan.

I honestly don't see the problem with eating whale as opposed to other creatures but not a fan of the taste.

I've also eaten horse in Luxembourg of it's of any meaning, but I did enjoy it as a steak.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I mean I ate shark and gator before. Unless it's a killer whale it won't be a manly meal.

I'm fine with eating whale. I once was in an izakaya in Japana and saw that the menu has whale bacon. I ordered it and tried it. not too bad to be honest. I'm more offended by those PETA/Green Peace/Sea Shepherd assholes than people eating whale.

iconmaster

Banned
While I lived in Japan I had whale bacon. Wasn't a fan tbh. Maybe didn't help it was served cold. I also tried packaged whale curry before (from Japan) but again wasn't a fan.

I honestly don't see the problem with eating whale as opposed to other creatures but not a fan of the taste.

I've also eaten horse in Luxembourg of it's of any meaning, but I did enjoy it as a steak.

I once was in an izakaya in Japana and saw that the menu has whale bacon. I ordered it and tried it. not too bad to be honest.

I envy you both.

And I’ve wondered about eating horse too.

lock2k

Banned
No. I think they are our relatives, in a way. they are more human like than apes in my opinion. The meat does look good though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck yeah I'd eat a whale. Japanese and Chinese people kill em all the time so why not?
I want to eat that endangered sea turtle. I mean they are all gonna die in 20 years why can't I eat one before then? Checkmate scientists.

DESTROYA

No.
There are plenty of other things to eat that I know taste good, not curious enough to try something that might be endangered.

Fuz

Banned
I'm firmly against whaling. But when I saw whale sashimi in a japenese menu I couldn't resist the temptation to try it.

Pointless cruelty. Doesn't taste that good (the fat is especially disgusting).

Also fugu is fucking overrated and overpriced. Bland and gummy.

I'll stick to my otoro.

Why do we have to eat everything, is my response.
Because I want to to know the taste of everything. I need panda fillet. And of course, we need to clone dinosaurs.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Aren't whales endangered or something?

There are plenty of cows, chickens and pigs that suffer for this shit already. We don't really need to travel in the middle of the ocean to hunt a bunch of whales.

Because I want to to know the taste of everything.
Are you that Chinese baby eater guy?

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I had whale sushi in Japan. I didn't like it. It was too chewy, but Japanese love chewy things I found that later on.

I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, as is my wife and most of both our families.

Honestly I quite often forget that most people eat animals at all, and when I'm inevitably reminded (as this thread title did) it's always incredibly weird to me.

So no, why would you want to eat a whale? Those guys are awesome.

thomaser

I'm Norwegian, and have eaten it (common minke whale, which is the only type that's legal to hunt here, and is not considered endangered). Bought some at a store, half-price because the use-by date was near. It's quite similar to beef, doesn't taste or feel like fish at all. Lean, with a nice, round taste.

The curious mind of a Weeb...

Not really interested in eating Whale Meat. Wouldn't mind eating a female Wales Pussy though.

I am a little sheepish though.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I'm Norwegian, and have eaten it (common minke whale, which is the only type that's legal to hunt here, and is not considered endangered). Bought some at a store, half-price because the use-by date was near. It's quite similar to beef, doesn't taste or feel like fish at all. Lean, with a nice, round taste.

Folks who keep bringing up the endangered species issue should look into the minke. “Least concern, population stable.”

The curious mind of a Weeb...

I enjoy Studio Ghibli films, that’s about as far as it goes.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I know it's taboo in the West, and I have a great affection for whales! But if there were an acceptable way to do it, I'd happily sink my teeth into some cetacean flesh just once.

Japanese-online-shopping--009.jpg

minke-whale-meat-big.jpg

Raw, fried or on a bun: the many ways Japanese eat whale

(Edit: thanks for moving to the correct forum, mods!)

You are missing an important vote. I've eaten it, and meh. I wouldn't go out of my way to have it, but I also wouldn't turn it down.

Top Bottom