• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else miss Team Fortress Classic?

resizedimage638358-images-when-tfc-meets-tf2-preview.jpg

During the early 2000's this was my absolute favorite game.
I think looking back over all the games I've played these years it still is.

However it's really heartbreaking how nowadays there is pretty much no one playing it anymore.

Yes there are a few servers that are populated BUT.......they are all just filled with fucking bots :(

2007 came around and Team Fortress 2 got released which killed TFC.
I've played TF2 a few times but I could just never get into it.

And then there's that mod Fortress Forever.
That showed a lot of promise and I actually really enjoyed it however it was finally released but something like a week before TF2. And then TF2 pulled this dick move that made the game available early so everyone played that and today FF is just as dead as TFC.

Anyone else miss the good old days of TFC?

TFC was dead way before TF2, I remember only two or three servers being populated and the rest of them being filled with bots and the player count lying. :(

I had a lot of fun with the game, but I jumped in way too late in summer 2007.

The puzzle maps were amazing.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
In my hundreds and hundreds of hours playing TFC and TF2 98.9% of that time was spent on 2fort. And I either played as an engie or spy most of that time.

I miss the old look of TFC but having never played any maps outside of 2fort my opinion on both games is probably inadequate.

Quake3Fortress was better. Since that's not around anymore, though: no, I don't miss TFC really. TF2 beats TFC, methinks.

Audioboxer

Probably my most played game ever. I started playing it when I had dialup! Everyone was big into CS, but TFC was my addiction. Was part of a genuine clan back then as well.

I've played a ton of TF2, but TFC will forever remain a classic for me.

Rivitur

Banned
I thought you could still get a game of tfc still? There should be 10+ servers still up last time I checked.

Bluth54

TF2 is my favorite and most played game of all time but I haven't played any TFC at all. I have watched a few videos of people playing it.

DINOSAURS

Neo Member
I loved TF2 a lot more personally, I don't play it now but I have about 500 hours on it... They injected a lot of character and personality into the game, I still love Quake but they really went crazy with TF2.

I do miss arena shooters though, I'd love to see Quake return with wall-running and more insane power-ups and weapons.

Spinoff90

I can never decide between TFC & Super Metroid as my favorite game ever. I always just end up saying Super Metroid is my favorite single player game while TFC is my favorite multiplayer game. In terms of play time no game even comes close to TFC for me though.

So yeah I miss it and also never got into TF2 anywhere near as much as I did TFC. Never liked the stuff they removed like grenades, a lot of the maps just didn't feel right and as primarily a sniper I never could adjust to it not just being the good ol' red dot of doom. Oh and the auto charging is beyond annoying. In Valves own admission they basically casualized the experience to make it more welcoming to newcomers. But in the process wrecked so much for me.

TF2 does have some charm but it just isn't the same while a lot of that charm doesn't even come from the game really. Stuff like the class videos is where Valve really delivered. But that just makes me wish they made an animated film instead of a game that let me down so much.

Top Bottom