• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else think that Mario just needs to shut the hell up?

LevityNYC

Banned
Playing through the 2nd half of Super 3D Mario Land and I am just sick of all of the "WA! Whoo hoos! and Wha Has!"

I just can't stand the sound of Mario's voice. Sure it was kinda neat 15 years ago in Super Mario 64, but its simply terrible now. Every single new Mario game has the same 10 vocal sound effects and they all drive me crazy. Why can't we just have the option for old school sound effects in newer Mario games?

(to a lesser extent, this bothers me in modern Zelda games as well).

WAHOO!!

42109808.jpg

It annoyed me a little in the 2D game remakes on the GBA (a lot in Yoshi's Island...), but not so much in the New SMB games. (F.Edit: Mario doesn't talk when he jumps in New SMB. That's probably why.)

I can see how some could find his voice a little annoying, but I don't. Maybe it seems much more natura for him to talk in a 3D game.

Codeblue

So now the Zelda fanbase is split between voice acting, no voice acting, and no voice.

Old school sounds is actually a really cool idea and wouldn't feel totally out of place in the New series.

Mario always sounded like a gruff Italian New Yorker in the Mario cartoons, commercials and the movie. That's the voice he should have, it would just sound so hilarious. When I heard him in Mario 64, I was like WHADDAFUCKIZDIS. His voice isn't cute or charming. I want to karate chop his trachea.

(overheard in a parallel universe in which Mario was never given a voice)

'Hey, does anyone else wish Mario would fucking say something?'

Honestly dude, it's not that big a deal. The platforming is so gloruous that it doesnt matter.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
YES YES YES. I'm okay with him making noises, but they need to be toned down and way less frequent. And not there at all in 2D Mario.

Link needs the same treatment.

Pollux

I wish I could put sounds in a GAF post. So whenever you opened this thread you would hear Mario's voice shouting "Waaaa Haaaa" at you.

The only time it really got on my nerves was in New Super Mario Bros Wii. The times I'd complete a level to hear him say "Oh yeah, is Mario time!" just sounded so groan worthy every time, it sounded so phoned in.

Let me in

SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE, WOO HOO!
SUPER MARIO GALAXYYYY!
SUPER MARIO GALAXY! HOO HOO!

I try to get through the menu screens as fast as possible so I don't have to hear this every time.

Super Mario 3D Land!!! Super Mario Galaxy!!!! That shit is too loud and annoying, and all I hear is Martinet in a recording booth, but most of the smaller grunt like sounds are alright, though I wouldn't mind them being toned down.

Link's YAHs are cool with me though.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
It didn't bother me before this thread but now I might end up paying attention to it next time I play a mario game. Hope I forget before NSMB2 comes out, haha.

Utako

Banned
Was fine in Mario 64.

Now he sounds like Mickey Mouse. I hate it. I hate all the Mario universe voices, for that matter.

Top Bottom