• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else think that Mario just needs to shut the hell up?

WillyFive

Nah, the Mario characters for the most part have great voices that sound good even with constant repetition. Taking them out would make the games seem very lifeless.

Flink

Mario doesn't bother me as much as Kirby's Epic Yarn. I couldn't play more than 30 minutes of that damn game because of the stupid voice.

PokéKong

Sorry, I will never get sick of Mario's happy yelling. I only wish they would give him more opportunities to speak full sentences, it almost feels weird how Mario is in a sense one of the least silent silent protagonists, like all his phrases and exclamations are just his equivalent to Link's "HHYAAA!!", like he still never actually converses with people.

Which is why it's a bit unsettling when hearing Mario speak relatively at length, such as in the ending of Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUxgHSBp-qY
And even more so in the obscure Mario's Game Gallery for PC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhrIvKDJoN0

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Haven't really been bothered by it.

When they put Link's OoT voice in to the GBA port of A Link to the Past though.. I almost wept. Then I got over it and eventually succumbed to the usage of it to the point of ignorance.

Yes. It made finishing a stage in SMG2 dreadful just hearing "WAHOOOOOOO!" all the time. SM3DLand is a lot of fun, but hearing him shout at the end of the stage is just as annoying. It would be fine if it were less frequent.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Some really bitter fucking people playing Mario games in here...

BlueMagic

There was a game, and I think it was the first M&L for GBA, where Mario would do an awesome sound when chatting with someone.
It was awesome. It went something like "otototate".

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I mean.. when was the first time we heard Mario? Super Mario 64, yeah?

I imagine the fact that the game had such a huge impact and influence upon many of us that it seemingly eroded whatever "nostalgic" thoughts we had at the time of Super Mario Bros. 1-3 & World.

Crying baby Mario needs to die though. I am sorry Yoshi's Island, but that is the one horrible aspect of your game, despite it being a helpful gameplay factor.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It doesn't even sound human.
Modern Mario is a super saccharine version of his former glory.
Complete caricature of the former 2D sprite.

I see but a glimpse of the old legend in the near dead eyes of the silent Paper Mario, and it makes me cry.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
speedpop said:
When they put Link's OoT voice in to the GBA port of A Link to the Past though.. I almost wept. Then I got over it and eventually succumbed to the usage of it to the point of ignorance.
That is the exact reason why I don't like playing the GBA port of ALttP at all. I can't do it.

Same goes for adding Yoshi's voice in the GBA Yoshi's Island port and removing his original sounds in favour for the voice. I was so disappointed in that.

stuminus3

What we need is more of Mario and Luigi's crazy pseudo-Italian psychobabble from the GBA/DS RPG games. They make no sense and are always hilarious. Especially when Luigi starts crying.

Kenaras

I couldn't stand it when it was introduced in Super Mario 64, and I still can't stand it now. The old-school boing sounds are fine, but the vocals are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Jumpman23

The sound goes a long way for me in making it a Mario experience. "It's a me, Mario" will forever be sacred to me. Long live Charles Martinet!

Mistle

SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE, WOO HOO!
SUPER MARIO GALAXYYYY!
SUPER MARIO GALAXY! HOO HOO!

I try to get through the menu screens as fast as possible so I don't have to hear this every time.
These are the only things that annoy me. In game voice is completely fine

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This makes me curious as to what the longest sentence that Mario has ever spoken is. I haven't played a Mario game for any significant length of time since Sunshine, so I don't know if he's ever advanced from (at best) three or four-word sentences.

I'm fine with the sounds that he makes, but the idea of him ever speaking like a normal human kind of weirds me out.

sazzy

Playing through the 2nd half of Super 3D Mario Land and I am just sick of all of the "WA! Whoo hoos! and Wha Has!"

I just can't stand the sound of Mario's voice. Sure it was kinda neat 15 years ago in Super Mario 64, but its simply terrible now. Every single new Mario game has the same 10 vocal sound effects and they all drive me crazy. Why can't we just have the option for old school sound effects in newer Mario games?

(to a lesser extent, this bothers me in modern Zelda games as well).

its endearing for kids.

the other day i was telling my 4 yr old niece the story of how mario saves the princess from bowser.

she was so thrilled she asked me to repeat it. 3 times.

Anth0ny

This makes me curious as to what the longest sentence that Mario has ever spoken is. I haven't played a Mario game for any significant length of time since Sunshine, so I don't know if he's ever advanced from (at best) three or four-word sentences.

I'm fine with the sounds that he makes, but the idea of him ever speaking like a normal human kind of weirds me out.

thank-a you so much-a for playing my game

There's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvWf6tsHalY

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
This makes me curious as to what the longest sentence that Mario has ever spoken is.

Does it have to be a game? Because when Martinet did those floating-head Mario chats at trade shows and such, he's a fuckin' chatterbox.

watershed

Banned

There's a 3ds tour video of mario explaining basically every feature of the hardware. Its bad. He's just talking way too much. The mario voice only works in short spurts.

Edit:beaten.

big_z

Mario should sound like he did in the cartoon but only when needing to talk. Stuff like jumping or getting a power up should be left as sound effects.

The current voice actor who does Mario and friends needs to be canned, he's made the voices so fruity and obnoxious Over the years.

I didn't mind his voice at all during the N64 and gamecube days but it started sounding weird to me in the Galaxy games.

like the voice actor was sick or something and it really bugged me.

I do kinda get embarassed when I start up SMG or SMG2 whenever my gf is at home as well, because of that damn voice going SUPER MARIO GALAXY WA HOOOOO.

She just stares at me with that look, you guys with gf's know which look I'm talking about.

No, I don't mind it at all. Games are just too fun while playing for me to even really notice.

HAVING SAID THAT

I would love the classic jump noises back instead. :D

Top Bottom