• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else think that Mario just needs to shut the hell up?

test_account

XP-39C²
I've noticed it too. I think i first started to notice it when watching videos from Super Mario 3D Land. I wonder how many times he says "wo" and "wa" through each level.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think Super Mario Advance give you the most bites for your money and you have four characters to choose from and every boss says something. It's Mario Madness!

I wonder if kids feel the same way about Mario that they do about Legos, and that's why he does talk more now than in the past. There was some kinda focus test for the Lego games and kids were wondering why the Lego people didn't talk, because in their imaginations they did talk. That's why Lego people talk now in the games.

So I wonder if something similar happened there.

Wait what? No
Its totally differnent. They decided to give him a voice because he is just like a classic cartoon character and cartoon characters need funny voices.
His not a mime, he needed a voice, full stop.
He doesnt even have real dialogs in the games.

Kids also always heard Mario with a full voice since the beggining, form the cartoon and mario bros super show, they new Mario didnt had a voice in the games because of limitations. When they decided to give him the Mickey Mouse treatment in Mario 64 (or in the mario typing game) and put Charles Martinet behind the voice, the majority of people and kids saw it normal.
Theres no talking more than in the past from Mario (im talking about the games here), is practically the same from all the Mario games since Mario 64.

And lego games are a totally different thing, apart from being actual dialogs in the new ones and not voices, something the other lego games already had, if they had decided from the start to give lego dialog no one would give a fuck, but Im sure it was starting to get a little difficult writing original stories with the lack of dialog, in the last games they were overusing the same mute jokes again and again, and apart from the focus group, it was starting to get stale.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I've always been fine with it. For whatever reason, the voice clips Nintendo chose for Mario are the sort you can hear endlessly and not get get annoyed.

Come to think of it, Nintendo's always been pretty good with that. Most game sounds in Mario games don't get annoying no matter how often you hear them - like the coin collecting noise, for example.

MisterHero

When Mario 64 booted up and out of the darkness said, "It's-a meee-a, Mario"

that was magical

I do agree that Mario and Peach's voices have gotten a bit high. Leslie Swan was the better Peach.

I don't mind his voice, and I have to admit its just part of him now -- but...

I grew up on Lou Albano and the Super Mario Bros Super Show... I could imagine a Mario cartoon / movie with the Brooklyn voice, but a movie with the potentially offensive cuddly Italian stereotype voice running throughout the entire thing? That would be hell. Some silly part of me would really like a Brad Bird quality Mario film too...

in terms of the games? It doesn't matter. His strenuous heaves, yelps and woohoos do kind of add something to his acrobatics in the 3D games... in the 2D ones, I could take or leave it. He definitely shouldn't have spoken in the Super Mario Advance games... WTF did they do that?

SykoTech

It's not that bad, but yeah.

It was more enjoyable to just hear the classic jump sound effect instead of a voiceover for every jump. Not even Sonic got annoying enough to scream "yeah" every jump.

Myriadis

I personally think the 3D Marios would really lack something if Mario wouldn't make sounds while jumping. Just imagine Super Mario 64 without that.

Yes, I hate Mario's voice, and a few others, too. Toad didn't used to bother me much when he sounded like a little boy mimicking a little girl, but his new Marge Simpson voice makes me want to kill something.

bj00rn_

Banned
Normally I'd be annoyed by this, but have not been with the Mario games for some reason. I only played the older ones up to SM64 though.

Wow. I've always hated Mario's voice. It feels so out of place to me. It's like he's have a great time jumping through life and death situations.

In the pre-64 Mario games it felt more tense and serious pretty much exactly for this reason.

Maybe it needs to be scaled back a tiiiny bit. Martinet does a genius job with it, for sure though. The only time it's been too much was Mario Advance.

Also an option for classic sounds in 2D games couldn't hurt at all and would probably take an hour of coding to implement.

Wow. I've always hated Mario's voice. It feels so out of place to me. It's like he's have a great time jumping through life and death situations.

In the pre-64 Mario games it felt more tense and serious pretty much exactly for this reason.

You really felt it was intense and serious to be an Italian plumber in a red jump suit and a cape riding a dinosaur?

You really felt it was intense and serious to be an Italian plumber in a red jump suit and a cape riding a dinosaur?

You don't quite understand what I mean.

The game feels a bit more tense, precision jumping across platforms and over bad guys, when the main character isn't going "woo hoo!", "yeah!", and "whee!" with every movement.

People slamming the voice of the Toads need to BACK OFF YEAH - y'get me!?

Toad Patrol was one of the best things about the SMG games <3 - they're also awesome in 3D land

They should bring back Toadsworth from Mario Sunshine too... Wot wot!

You don't quite understand what I mean.

The game feels a bit more tense, precision jumping across platforms and over bad guys, when the main character isn't going "woo hoo!", "yeah!", and "whee!" with every movement.

What I'm talking about is the game isn't meant to feel tense, it's meant to be fun and enjoyable. Even the toughest levels (sans Bowser stages maybe) have that green "faces on everything" aesthetic, and Mario's character design itself reflects that he's on a whimsical adventure.

What I'm talking about is the game isn't meant to feel tense, it's meant to be fun and enjoyable. Even the toughest levels (sans Bowser stages maybe) have that green "faces on everything" aesthetic, and Mario's character design itself reflects that he's on a whimsical adventure.

Well, maybe it's just a generational thing, but growing up with a silent Mario, it was more than a bit off-putting to start hearing him joyfully exclaim every movement.

I guess it's like Tom and Jerry, or the Pink Panther. They should never, ever talk.

I think they should give Mega Man a voice again just like in that flawless masterpiece, Mega Man 8.

In fact, they should make it so that every time he shoots, he shouts "YAH!!!!"

Just think of the hours of enjoyment.

A-V-B

did... did a guy really bump a 4 year old thread just to shit talk everyone in it?

i...

i don't know what to say

Top Bottom