• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else think that Mario just needs to shut the hell up?

The cynic in me says that it makes no sense for a forty-something Italian plumber from NY to make such noises. But I kinda like it when he falls off a cliff or completes a triple jump. So I'm okay with it either way. If a jump sound effect comes back, great. If not, that's fine too.

Yeah, that crap instantly turned me off during the NSMB U trailer. I don't mind it when it's somewhat sporadic, but it's so constant in the newer games that it gets really grating. At least let us disable it in the options menu.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This thread taught me one thing.

We are becoming nothing more than the older generation that never learned how to skateboard, how to dress beyond the 50s, and never understood the nuances behind the natural progression of language slang. We like to think that our clinging tendencies towards technology will save us but we were doomed from the start.

We are stuck in a generational change and we don't know what to do about it. All we can do is yell at clouds.

Anteo

I actually like it, though some times it gets annoying.

This thread taught me one thing.

We are becoming nothing more than the older generation that never learned how to skateboard, how to dress beyond the 50s, and never understood the nuances behind the natural progression of language slang. We like to think that our clinging tendencies towards technology will save us but we were doomed from the start.

We are stuck in a generational change and we don't know what to do about it. All we can do is yell at clouds.

=(

IrishNinja

weird to see this thread, does link bother you swinging at stuff? i guess it takes someone chatty like Pit to get my attention.

dopan

Neo Member
I've been fine with his voice in the newer mario games, but I just couldn't stand it in the Super Mario Advance series games. Charles Martinet does NOT belong in SMB3 or World.

CorvoSol

I've never been bugged by it.

I knew a guy who did a spot-on Luigi imitation all the time this semester, though. It was at least a good conversation starter.

It never bugged me, but now that you guys mention it, I prefer the old sound from the 8 bit games. What bothers me in the Mario games from the post N64 era is the music. It's just horrible. SMK and MK64 had great music, but now it's horrible. Mario Galaxy had a great soundtrack, but that's the exception, and it should be the rule :( That said, I'm fine with the idea that they spend more time tuning the gameplay than thinking about the music.

I'm trying to picture a Mario game without a voice, and I can't imagine it without coming off as incredibly dry and creepy, if not haunting. There's a certain annoying happy charm his voice adds to the game. Keep it forever.

Zelda however I think could use full VAs, at least the NPCs. Although that's for another thread.

jonezer4

It annoyed me when they inexplicably recycled a few of the Mario voice sounds for Luigi in the Galaxy games, but that's it.

crazybydefault

Neo Member
It's never annoyed me. But if someone played a constant stream of "HA! YAW-HOO!", I'd probably want to go all stabby-rip-stab-stab on my ears...

Cmagus

Yep it gets annoying in almost all Mario games. However I really hope Nintendo starts putting full voices in all their future games I am pretty tired of lousy sound effects every time someone says something especially in the Zelda titles.

zroid

Banned
However I really hope Nintendo starts putting full voices in all their future games I am pretty tired of lousy sound effects every time someone says something especially in the Zelda titles.

eewwwwwwww no

1 minute later edit: I AM STILL CRINGING FROM THE THOUGHT OF A MARIO GAME WITH FULL VOICE ACTING, ARE YOU HAPPY

3 more minutes later: still.

Yeah, his voice is annoying. I mean, I wouldn't mind it so much, but yeah, he talks way too damn much. Luigi is actually a lot more ridiculous sounding than Mario.

Soul_Pie

It was particularly annoying in Super Mario 64 Ds where it sounded like he was speaking through a walkie talkie.

I personally think Charles Martinet's mario voice has declined over time as well, doesn't sound nearly as spritely as it once did.

I'd like a return to the simple "spring" sound effect for the jumping personally but it's probably expected that Mario "speak" these days.

The only "voice" that I've really enjoyed in Nintendo games was adult link from OOT and Ganondorf, for the most part their silly little soundbites are really grating.

creid

I'm with you OP, I long for the day Charles Martinet is replaced by someone who isn't incredibly irritating.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
No, but he needs to lose some weight. Mario's a fat little fuck, so if he doesn't start slimming down, he'll die of a cardiac arrest before hitting 60 (there's only so much hopping and bopping a heart can take), and then there'll be no one to stop Bowser from pillaging the Mushroom Kingdom, since Luigi will be dead due to decades of malnourishment and anorexia.

Red UFO

Last night I dreamed that Mario was a General in an inter-dimensional war, where we used time-controlling cats to our advantage, Joel Kinnaman was also on our team, and so was Yosuke from Persona 4.

So no, he should not shut up, otherwise when this dream comes true we will all die.

gerudoman

What we need is more of Mario and Luigi's crazy pseudo-Italian psychobabble from the GBA/DS RPG games. They make no sense and are always hilarious. Especially when Luigi starts crying.

Oh yes. I've always wondered if what they say are actually italian expressions or words or just non sensical gibberish. But nothing will top the brilliant idea oh having an specific button to call Mario in an hilariously terrified voice in Luigi's Mansion.

Nope because Charles Martinet is awesome, and Mario's voice is classic cartoon awesomness.
853824-charles-martinet.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUjz942HGZM

Do you also hate Mickey Mouse, Donald or Goofy OP?

kevm3

Yoshi is the annoying one. Yoshi's sounds progressively get more annoying. A lot of times now he sounds like a grown man trying to sound like a baby.

SmithnCo

I don't mind Mario, Yoshi can be annoying though. They should have an option to turn off voices if you want to enjoy the music.

The voice is amazing, jumping off heights in Mario 64 wouldn't be half as fun without his scream of terror and the plain weird sounding noises he makes upon a brutal impact.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think you are a closet racist. what do you have against Italians? thats all they say and they accurately represent that in the game and all you can do is complain about how his voice sounds.

fuck off.

I wonder if kids feel the same way about Mario that they do about Legos, and that's why he does talk more now than in the past. There was some kinda focus test for the Lego games and kids were wondering why the Lego people didn't talk, because in their imaginations they did talk. That's why Lego people talk now in the games.

So I wonder if something similar happened there.

Oppo

I don't think he should be completely silent, but they definitely go way overboard with the frequency of the dumb little voice effects.

I never minded mario's who hahs

Link on the other hand, So bummed when they changed his whoosh sword sounds to the kid grunting noise in lttp for gba

Top Bottom