• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else think that Mario just needs to shut the hell up?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I love Mario's wahoos and yipees. It implies that he's having a goddamn blast doing what he's doing...just as I do when I play his games.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What a petty complaint. Honestly, it's on you if that's the problem.

I also say this to the TC and all those who agree with him.
Fours years tho. This thread was hidden in the darkest depths of GAF and you felt so strongly about Mario to search and bump it. First post too. ಠ_ಠ

The last time it has ever bothered me were in those terrible Super Mario Advance game where they ported old 2D Marios with annoying voices everytime they jump. Ugh.

Kyzer

Banned
You should probably not play kids games if you're the kind of guy to get irritated and think they should make a character shut the hell up lol

Edit: holy shit 4 years

I will legit cry when Charles Martinet retires from voice acting. Mario and the other mustachioed overall guys are a national treasure.

mavo

Banned
I will legit cry when Charles Martinet retires from voice acting. Mario and the other mustachioed overall guys are a national treasure.

Nintendo has recorded enough Mario voice clips that even if Charles retires they can make 250 mario games every year until 2052.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I want a game where Mario talks. Like, a Paper Luigi RPG where Luigi is all of a sudden silent and Mario is the talkative NPC. If Luigi can speak, his brother can too!

Kssio_Aug

I do kinda get embarassed when I start up SMG or SMG2 whenever my gf is at home as well, because of that damn voice going SUPER MARIO GALAXY WA HOOOOO.

She just stares at me with that look, you guys with gf's know which look I'm talking about.

My girlfriend when she hears it: *-*

I think Mario won his place as a popular fun game for all ages, and for that reason I see less prejudgements against it than I usually see for most of other games.

And his voice never really bothered me tbh. I wouldn't even think about it before this thread. lol

dh4niel

He doesn't really talk though. He just exclaims most of the time. The few times he does say a whole sentence is few and far between.

"THANK-A YOU SO MUCH FOR PLAYING MY GAME-A!"

Nintendo has recorded enough Mario voice clips that even if Charles retires they can make 250 mario games every year until 2052.

I wonder if they've pulled him into the recording studio to enthusiastically say a percentage of the words in the dictionary, just for possible future titles.

I mean, every number up to 100, for sure. "Mario Kart 17" etc.

I lost all interest in Mario Golf on 3DS after playing the demo and hearing every character repeat the same lines over and over while lining up a shot.

BumRush

Joined in February. Waited until July to post. First post was a 4 year bump to a dormant thread about Mario talking too much.

I feel like there's more going on here.

FDBK

I do. Very much.

Why isn't there yet an option to turn off voices in Mario games? Really, REALLY hope that the next main Mario title (on NX I'd guess) will have a "Voices? (yes/no)" selectable option in the options menu.

Kyzer

Banned
Joined in February. Waited until July to post. First post was a 4 year bump to a dormant thread about Mario talking too much.

I feel like there's more going on here.

It was the comment that drove him to create an account and he had it bookmarked for years lmao

duvjones

Banned
So to answer the OP... A resounding No.
It was the comment that drove him to create an account and he had it bookmarked for years lmao

You know, given what I have heard of some posters on GAF, that is not as far fetched as it sounds.

Nah, but Ratchet and Clank in the PS4 game on the other hand was annoying as heck.

Uh oh, more bad guys!

Let me spoil this puzzle after 1 minute of going at it.

There's a tresspasser terminal in this room

Oh no, more of them!

STFU

I have never liked his voice. Even as I stood, mind blown, playing Mario 64 for the first time, I remember thinking, "God, is that really his voice?" Much love to Martinet for working a good gig for years and years, but yeeeeesh.

Did you wait 4 years to get a gaf account just to post in this thread?

I'm going to leave this thread believing this now. You can't stop me, OP.

SOR5

Imagine a world where Mario's yahoo's and wahoo's are replaced with generic soldier grunting noises when he jumps

weirdly comedic

I lean more towards preferring a silent Mario, but the only time the voice ever really bothered me was in the GBA games.

OTOH, I love the gibberish voicework done in the Mario & Luigi games. Very endearing.

Top Bottom