• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone know what's going on with LA Noire? ^__^

Just paying that much for a game though is amazing. 10m is how much it cost to develop MGS2, and Sony is paying way more than that just to get a game. This game must be really something special.

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Just paying that much for a game though is amazing. 10m is how much it cost to develop MGS2, and Sony is paying way more than that just to get a game. This game must be really something special.

It'd better be, and I hope they show it soon, they've been so secretive about it, and about most of their games, we should really be hearing alot more about Resistance and Warhawk than what we're getting, or maybe the media just isn't trying to cover them? ~_~

element

SolidSnakex said:
$10m isn't a lot for a next-gen game at this point. LA Noire is like crazy money. Sony likes to spend money, God of War wasn't cheap either.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hasn't Lair already run up ~25m? Or projected to by the time it finishes? They do plan to amortise that cost by sharing tech with their next projects though, of course.

With that being the case, 25m is probably an easy/conservative guess for Noire, if it's on the high end.

element said:
$10m isn't a lot for a next-gen game at this point. LA Noire is like crazy money. Sony likes to spend money, God of War wasn't cheap either.

So you're talking about Sony giving them money to develop the game? I thought you meant how much they were paying just to get it exclusive.

Kittonwy

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Ha ha you didn't use a smiley there.

It was kind of hard to find the right smiley to go with that comment.
xmasavatar.jpg

Kittonwy

Banned
gofreak said:
Hasn't Lair already run up ~25m? Or projected to by the time it finishes? They do plan to amortise that cost by sharing tech with their next projects though, of course.

With that being the case, 25m is probably an easy/conservative guess for Noire, if it's on the high end.

I thought 25mil is for two games combined which Factor 5 has signed on to make on the PS3?

Elios83

I'm looking forward to see LA Noire,maybe it's something like Sin City.It's incredible how many PS3 titles are still under wraps :(
I hope to see much more at Playstation Meeting and TGS.

element

SolidSnakex said:
So you're talking about Sony giving them money to develop the game? I thought you meant how much they were paying just to get it exclusive.
yeah how much Team Bondi was asking publishers to fork over to make the team. Team Bondi was shopping the game around, and ended up signing with Sony.

I'm looking forward to see LA Noire,maybe it's something like Sin City.It's incredible how many PS3 titles are still under wraps :(
I was always under the impression that LA Noire is more like an action L.A. Confidential or The Black Dahlia. I would be in heaven, as L.A. Confidential is one of my favorite movies.

element said:
yeah how much Team Bondi was asking publishers to fork over to make the team. Team Bondi was shopping the game around, and ended up signing with Sony.

That's more understandable then. I know the lead designer of Mercenaries said he expects next gen games to range between 10 and 40m to develop. I guess LA Noire is closer to the 40m number.

RaijinFY

SolidSnakex said:
Other games Sony Europe should bring back are G Police, Colony Wars, and a proper Destruction Derby.

Colony Wars plz!!!!!

G-Police with a turned down difficulty I wouldnt mind too...

Elios83

element said:
I was always under the impression that LA Noire is more like an action L.A. Confidential or The Black Dahlia. I would be in heaven, as L.A. Confidential is one of my favorite movies.

I don't remember they have released details on the game except for what we can read on the website (which is next to nothing) but I would also love something like L.A Confindential,great movie :D
Sony show your precious jewels if you want gamers to spend 600$!!!

Trying to find out more about this game and ran across Glenn Fielders site. He apparently worked at Team Bondi for a few months and left the company to join...The Mercenaries team. Here's an interesting quote from him

We’re running on PC and PS3 at the moment, and the PS3 version is faster! Go cell

http://www.gaffer.org/archives/mercs2com-goes-live#comments

He never really mentioned anythign about LA Noire other than he was working on it.

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Trying to find out more about this game and ran across Glenn Fielders site. He apparently worked at Team Bondi for a few months and left the company to join...The Mercenaries team. Here's an interesting quote from him

http://www.gaffer.org/archives/mercs2com-goes-live#comments

He never really mentioned anythign about LA Noire other than he was working on it.

Damn the secrecy!!! Can't they show a couple of screenshots or something?
angry.gif

Agent X

SolidSnakex said:
I was talking about Eight Days, that's being developed by Sony London (along with PS3 Getaway and Singstar). They're great when it comes to graphics which is why I think atleast some of that ED trailer was real time. It does look like Sony's Euro studios are going to rise again after being down in the current gen.

I got that same impression after seeing their PSP output so far. Wipeout Pure is still one of the best PSP games, and Pursuit Force is very impressive, too. Now that they're starting to (successfully) resurrect some of the old Psygnosis series like Wipeout and Lemmings, I'd like to see them try their hand at some of the others (particularly Colony Wars).

Elios83

Since we're talking about Sony Europe there's still no sign of Studio Cambridge.
On PS2 they have made games with great graphics (Primal is still one of the best PS2 titles for graphics) but with outdated gameplay.I hope they do better with PS3.

Agent X said:
I got that same impression after seeing their PSP output so far. Wipeout Pure is still one of the best PSP games, and Pursuit Force is very impressive, too. Now that they're starting to (successfully) resurrect some of the old Psygnosis series like Wipeout and Lemmings, I'd like to see them try their hand at some of the others (particularly Colony Wars).

I think the general opinion was that last gen the best Sony developers were Sony Europe, this gen they went down in quality and Sony Japan and Sony America got alot better. But as you said, their European division seems to be getting alot better recently and that should be a good sign for what we can expect on the PS3. Having all 3 divisions in sync for once would be really good. Maybe the sharing of engines will help that along.

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I think the general opinion was that last gen the best Sony developers were Sony Europe, this gen they went down in quality and Sony Japan and Sony America got alot better. But as you said, their European division seems to be getting alot better recently and that should be a good sign for what we can expect on the PS3. Having all 3 divisions in sync for once would be really good. Maybe the sharing of engines will help that along.

Games like Primal could have benefited so much more from having even simple bump-mapping and self-shadowing that next-gen consoles can do with their eyes closed. I think Sony Europe's games kind of suffered because they were constrained by hardware.

Who's making this?

With this, Eight Days and The Getaway it seems that Sony is making a concentrated effort to have a bunch of GTA-ish games. Hope they turn out well, cause you can never have too many sandbox games :)

Edit: Team Bondi, WHOTF are they? New team?

Pedigree Chum said:
Edit: Team Bondi, WHOTF are they? New team?

Kind of. The person that formed it is Brendan McNamara who was ran Team Soho, they developed the Getaway. He left after the first Getaway was made and formed Team Bondi and they're now hiring for this game.

I don't really get the feeling that Eight Days is going to be like GTA. The trailer atleast didn't really strike me as them going for that type of game style. Getaway definetly will be like that, not sure about LA Noire. Brendan said he wanted it to be realistic so going around jacking cars isn't going to fly too well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kittonwy said:
Games like Primal could have benefited so much more from having even simple bump-mapping and self-shadowing that next-gen consoles can do with their eyes closed. I think Sony Europe's games kind of suffered because they were constrained by hardware.
I don't know... All the bumpmapping of this world wouldn't have saved the mediocrity that was Primal. The technology was the last thing to complain about with that game. It looked and sounded very nice, but played and controlled rather poorly. It was full of unengaging and uninspired gameplay :\

SolidSnakex said:
We’re running on PC and PS3 at the moment, and the PS3 version is faster! Go cell
That's a nice comment indeed. Should have said which PC is being compared against though, but game devs always work on something high end, so I'm guessing this is pretty good news.

Kittonwy

Banned
Marconelly said:
I don't know... All the bumpmapping of this world wouldn't have saved the mediocrity that was Primal. The technology was the last thing to complain about with that game. It looked and sounded very nice, but played and controlled rather poorly. It was full of unengaging and uninspired gameplay :\

That's a nice comment indeed. Should have said which PC is being compared against though, but game devs always work on something high end, so I'm guessing this is pretty good news.

I mean visually. Although with more powerful hardware maybe the gameplay could have been more ambitious and have much more interactivity?
gladtomeetya.gif

Kittonwy acts like a 12 year old in 90% of posts and then splurts out detailed analysis of Sony versus the World in the other 10%, come on man, show us your Sony money bag. It's a really annoying act, because 90% of your posts don't match at all with the other 10% (serious tone), and you seem to know way more than you are letting on.

As for this topic, Team Bondi has a ton of The Getaway team members, which is a good or bad thing depending on your opinion of that particular game. I am however a big fan of Aussie game developers, who seem to bring fresh things to games (go Gazunta)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
element said:
oh man! WAY WAY over that.

OH CRAP!!!!!!!!!

Are we talking about over $40 million Element? What do you personal think a good dev team could do with a $40 million budget?

Kittonwy

Banned
Pedigree Chum said:
Just like The Getaway?

Too much time on visuals, not enough time on gameplay, on the other hand, things should be a little easier this time, they shouldn't be struggling with the hardware, plus perhaps, they might have learned from their experience with teh Getaway.
bunny.gif

Pedigree Chum said:
Just like The Getaway?

I liked the Getaway (not Black Monday though). It had its flaws, but I like that despite being a free roaming game it wasn't trying to be GTA at all like pretty much every other GTA clone.

Striek

element said:
Isn't Gears of War 'only' $10M? And thats the most anticipated X360 game behind Halo 3. So its clear a huge budget isn't needed to make an anticipated title.

Back in 2004 Naughty Dog said there next PS3 project would have a budget of $25-30M and this has a huge budget so I wonder what is pushing these up so high.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Striek said:
Isn't Gears of War 'only' $10M? And thats the most anticipated X360 game behind Halo 3. So its clear a huge budget isn't needed to make an anticipated title.

Back in 2004 Naughty Dog said there next PS3 project would have a budget of $25-30M and this has a huge budget so I wonder what is pushing these up so high.

It's probably the research to make the engines. Keep in mind these studios are making Sony/in house only engines to build these games.

It's eye brow raising to ponder how far things have gone when $10 million is just considered about average-decent budget and not anywhere near crazy money any more.

mckmas8808 said:
It's probably the research to make the engines. Keep in mind these studios are making Sony/in house only engines to build these games.

Are any of Sony's in house studios licensing the UNREAL engine? So for it seems like all of them are designed from the ground up on the system instead a licensed engien. It seems like it'll stay like that until an in house Sony engine is done and they start sharing.

Zaptruder

Banned
Wafflecopter said:
I didn't know using multiple non-GAF smilies were allowed here. Or is this guy an exception because he's "special"?

He's the exception, because no one else can really be bothered typing in the ubbcode and the http links to smileys all the time.

In regards to L.A. Noir I saw a ton of stuff about it end of last year, sounds fairly interesting and was my biggest WTF in terms of sony not useing it for PS3 hype, pretty much everything in the game is scanned instead of traditional in computer development, so all characters are real actors who have been hired to play the roles, their costumes are real hand made costumes that have been scanned for 3d as have every inch of the actors themselves, also most props I believe.
Lots of motion capture is being used too, pretty much the main guy behind it has managed to invest in some very advanced 3d scanning and capture equipment, most advanced in Australia I believe.

All up it makes for alot of good press buzz words to be able to say things like "These are real people in a real cinema experience" crap like that which I thought would have been big for sony at their conference.

I think I still have some stuff around my room related to it, may scan it in if I get a chance.
The woman playing the lead role most Australians would recognise from I think the current foxtel ads or some crap, or it could be the century ads.

poppin fresh said:
In regards to L.A. Noir I saw a ton of stuff about it end of last year, sounds fairly interesting and was my biggest WTF in terms of sony not useing it for PS3 hype, pretty much everything in the game is scanned instead of traditional in computer development, so all characters are real actors who have been hired to play the roles, their costumes are real hand made costumes that have been scanned for 3d as have every inch of the actors themselves, also most props I believe.

The money Sony spent on this is started to make sense now. I hope Brendan was able to get Katie Ellwood to Team Bondi to write the script with him.

Top Bottom