• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Capcom's shift toward low-budget "safe" moves doom Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite?

Capcom has been a penny pinching, relatively safe company for most of its story and particularly for the past decade. I do indeed have doubts regarding MVCI: the exact same doubts I've had for every single Capcom product for at least that long. At the very least this seems a "safer" product with Marvel's backing and focus on the MCU, but it's not like Capcom isn't known for managing to occasionally screw up even the most seemingly unscrewable projects. I for one wouldn't dream of picking this up day one, and it's probably wise to wait until the inevitable Ultimate version (even if it's simply a GOTY edition with all DLC packed in).

compared to the MvC3 gameplay trailer which looks absolutely amazing despite amateurs playing thanks to the extremely coherent graphical style, sound effects and more.

I personally disagree, I've always loathed the shader used for characters in MVC3, and particularly how incoherent they look compared to the backgrounds. So if anything I see more coherence in MVCI, and I think it looks much better. People seem to be split 50/50 on this, though.

Syril

Marvel was more strict with Doctor Strange, to the point where they refused to let him have an air dash.
Yeah I remember reading how they were dictating his animations to make his hand gestures line up with the movie, which I guess was in preproduction at the time.

liquidtmd

Banned
$10 says if Resident Evil 7 was Resident Evil 6+ in style, OP would be saying it was Capcom playing it safe financially.

I get where you're going with MvC but am more than willing to get past the initial trailer to judge it.

I don't think the root of SFVs problems were Capcom being cheap, although the team probably being up against financial scrutiny continually wouldn't help.

Dead Rising 4 was indeed bobbins though.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Honestly I think things like MvC3's cinematics were significant contributors to Capcom's apparent money troubles now.

Cinematics like that don't come cheap and they made a bunch of them, all for a blip of extra hype from people largely already buying the game. If they had made a two or three minute intro cinematic and left it at that, the sales probably wouldn't have changed dramatically and they'd have kept a lot more money in their coffers.

Dahbomb

Marvel was more strict with Doctor Strange, to the point where they refused to let him have an air dash.
Need link on the air dash thing. I thought they didn't give Strange an air dash because he would be too good with it.

I do know that Magneto and Storm were given the new moves to make them play more like the actual character's abilities.

Nyoro SF

It's pretty rare of me to bump old threads like this, but I thought this was worth notching up again.

Which game is Capcom's next victim? Monster Hunter is one of their strongest pillars so that's likely not going to be affected, and Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 is likely handled by a separate small team that isn't affected by Capcom taking the scissors to their budgets. RE2 Remake?

Also all of you who posted in the thread that you prefer MvCI's art style to MvC3, I hope you enjoy meth Dante and Dr. Uncle Strange.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't honestly care. As long as they refrain from pay to win F2P bullshit microtransactional schemes, i'm fine with lower tier work from anybody. its a whole lot better than going to mobile forever. That's my approach to Japan development in general

A lot of the FGC folks I follow seem hot on the game, so weird look aside at least the actual gameplay looks like it will deliver. (Yes, that sounds a lot like SFV)

Jawmuncher

It's pretty rare of me to bump old threads like this, but I thought this was worth notching up again.

Which game is Capcom's next victim? Monster Hunter is one of their strongest pillars so that's likely not going to be affected, and Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 is likely handled by a separate small team that isn't affected by Capcom taking the scissors to their budgets. RE2 Remake?

Also all of you who posted in the thread that you prefer MvCI's art style to MvC3, I hope you enjoy meth Dante and Dr. Uncle Strange.

RE2make should be having a similar budget to RE7.
So I guess it depends on how they treat it.

Dahbomb

Most of the Marvel Infinite issues aren't exactly an issue of a lower budget but rather a lack of quality control and artistic talent/touch.

The technical graphics are fine but there is a huge gap in art between some characters. It's like they aren't even from the same game. Compare Nova to Chris or Captain Marvel to Chun Li.

The UI also is cell phone quality... that has hardly anything to do with budget and more to do with artistic talent.

This game should look a generation ahead of Marvel 3 but because of the style they have adopted, it's actually looking worse. You can probably change the lighting and the shaders in the game and it would look a generation ahead but Capcom has kinda stuck with that particular look.

Ferrio

Banned
It just looks low budget.

What does this even mean? The only thing not low budget on this game is what they're charging people for it.

If you're implying that this game isn't' being made on a budget and they're throwing a lot of money and development time on this game and THIS is the result, then that's worse.

What does this even mean? The only thing not low budget on this game is what they're charging people for it.

If you're implying that this game isn't' being made on a budget and they're throwing a lot of money and development time on this game and THIS is the result, then that's worse.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. On a purely technical level, it doesn't look bad ie. the detailing on some models like Strider look good. It's the artstyle that looks like I could have made it when I was 15 that makes it ugly as all hell.

Top Bottom