• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Jeremy Parish undermine Ziff Davis' credibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkman

Drinky Crow said:
1UP ain't a high bar, dode. Not sayin' you'll find good folks in here in the sticks of GAF, nor am I saying Parish sucks, but I can walk down the hall and find better writers than Parish without a whole lot of effort. I can certainly find a better writer than the uncreative and grammatically-challenged Milkman.

Now whether they'd want to work for 1UP and write about games is another story entirely.

How'd I get dragged into this? And to think I like Drinky Crow.

Reilly

Scoot said:
About the same as the odds of a thread on GAF about ZD or 1UP without Reilly whining.

I think you have me confused with someone else.

I only bash RE4, people who want change in their games and the 1up show

oh wait....

Milkman said:
How'd I get dragged into this? And to think I like Drinky Crow.
I don't think you're challenged... :(

I don't think people should be insult the majority of 1up writers when IGN is just a click away. Give me a few minutes so I can find some reviews of theirs to show you...

Odysseus

Banned
chespace said:
You should let me review Forza Motorsport 2.

At EGM, OPM, 1up, IGN, GameSpot, AND Game Informer.

Edit: How could I forget TeamXbox and OXM?

Edit 2: Why would OPM have a review of this game? I'm so fired from my make believe all-world EIC gig.

Robert Ashley said:
It always amazes me that people can get ANGRY and PISSED OFF about videogames. Have you guys seen the newspapers lately? Talk about immersive entertainment...

IAWTP

Odysseus said:
At EGM, OPM, 1up, IGN, GameSpot, AND Game Informer.

Edit: How could I forget TeamXbox and OXM?

but not Play - you'd hate to give it a lower score than it would have received otherwise.

Sallokin

I haven't really been following all this, but isn't this game getting universally bad reviews (at least in the JP press) not just from the ZD crew? If so then I'd say that Jeremy isn't the only one who hates the game.

Mmmkay

Sallokin said:
I haven't really been following all this, but isn't this game getting universally bad reviews (at least in the JP press) not just from the ZD crew? If so then I'd say that Jeremy isn't the only one who hates the game.
Famitsu:
Goku Makaimura: 9/8/8/9 (34/40)

Dengeki:
Goku Makaimura: 95 85 85 85

EDGE:
Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins PSP - 9

I'm callin' you -- Milkman -- out after your retort to Chris Buffa's "advice" article on GameDaily. Buffa's a ****in' idiot, but that blog post you made was a MESS -- it was barely coherent. I'm getting a little tired of the holier than thou blog shit I see ekeing out of videogaming's editorial elite these days, especially when it isn't backed up with any creativity or insight -- or even basic grammar. You moreso than any visible editor in videogaming have made a bit of a business of rolling your eyes at the rest of the gaming community.

I woulda called you out then, but Evilore was in a bad mood because I hang out with MAF or something and I had the banstick liberally applied to my backside.

Sallokin said:

it's more an issue of why he reviewed for 3 ZD publications rather than spreading out the review options.

NomarTyme

Sallokin said:

Edge give it 9/10.

Edit: Beaten.

Drinky Crow said:
Now whether they'd want to work for 1UP
I queried some ZD pub one time and they said that their freelancers have to live in San Fran. I think they're...unique in that respect. Is that still the policy, ZD guys?

To think GAF would get so worked up about a PSP game, I never thought I'd see the day. On this issue, I haven't played it yet, but I'll probably disagree, but I don't really think it's that big of a deal. I thought the goddamn 3.5 EGM gave Pursuit Force was downright embarrassing after I played the game, but hey life goes on.

Ravidrath

OK, I talked to Shane and he explained the actual situation. Maybe I read it too quickly, but I now feel that Duckroll left out some useful details in his initial post, misrepresenting the situation.

Um, yeah... there's really no case here. But if you wanna keep insisting there is because you like the game, go ahead - don't read the magazine(s) or visit the site or buy the action figures if you disagree with the reviews and move on.

You have your game, so enjoy it and don't worry about what other people think.

kenta

Has no PEINS
rastex said:
After the Team Ninja and especially the Q? Entertainment pieces, Milkman can do no wrong.
Don't you dare forget about the Team Ico piece for the SotC launch. That was excellent.

Sallokin

Clever Pun said:
it's more an issue of why he reviewed for 3 ZD publications rather than spreading out the review options.

Ah I see. After seeing the rest of the reviews, I think I'm caught up.

White Man

Kabuki Waq said:
for all the spin in this thread it just comes down to .."wah wah wah a game i like got bad review" :p

It's more like "This dude is reviewing a game for 2 too many different publications." For the 10th time.

Milkman

Drinky Crow said:
I'm callin' you -- Milkman -- out after your retort to Chris Buffa's "advice" article on GameDaily. Buffa's a ****in' idiot, but that blog post you made was a MESS -- it was barely coherent. I'm getting a little tired of the holier than thou blog shit I see ekeing out of videogaming's editorial elite these days, especially when it isn't backed up with any creativity or insight -- or even basic grammar.

I woulda called you out then, but Evilore was in a bad mood because I hang out with MAF or something and I had the banstick liberally applied to my backside.

Ironically, I was basically saying that we need to back off the 'games journalist' tag, because that very notion is pretty rich. I'm not a writer by trade, and it's not what I am. It's my job, nothing more, nothing less. When I settle down at the end of the day and evaluate what I am, I don't tell myself "I am a games journalist." And I'm not too concerned about the grammatical quality of my blog, since 1) it's a blog, 2) I wrote it in three minutes, 3) the whole point was that we're performing a service for people who want to read about games, we're not here to be Shakespeare. But when someone who isn't qualified to make sweeping, industry-wide judgements makes not one, but multiple passes at how to be a more better writar, or how to pick up PR chicks, well forgive me for writing what I felt on my personal blog. And you wanted my blog to be creative? I was pissed off because people were sending around that thread at work and I felt like venting. Next time I'll stop to come up with something a little more clever to suit your tastes.

But thanks for thinking that you're 'calling me out.' I'm walking away from this thinking you don't know how to read any better than any of the other fools flaming me on various message boards. Trust me when I say that I'll sleep OK tonight whether or not you've 'spared me.' But feel free to come discuss this with me in person at the Konami BBQ if you'd like. I'm open-minded. Or is a message board the only place you feel like a bad-ass?

Oh PLEASE. I've rawdogged folks for bashing games I've liked before -- especially Hoshigami and Romancing SaGa -- but even I acknowledge what egregious flaws those games have. UGnG has no significant flaw that isn't purely a matter of extreme personal preference. The day a preference for polygons versus sprites or a dislike for a long-established set of controls within the series causes a 55% ding in score is the day that all ****ing perspective is lost by the reviewer that assumes it as relevant.

Pachinko

I have to be honest here, this is the single most pathetic thread in GAF history(in in a forum filled with hentai appreciation and girlfriends creaming themselves on beds, that means something) and it makes me embarrased to ever mention these forums again. You people should be ashamed of yourselves for being this f.u.c.k.ing stupid.

Wah the game I want to buy got a poor review and do to various screwups was reviewed 3 times by the same person who happened to dislike it. So the f.u.c.k what! Seriously all you morons will buy it anyway and probally even love it.

Honestly I expect this level of brain damage on gamefaqs or IGN but gaf is supposed to be atleast a small babystep above this bullsh!t isn't it ?

I'll come at you when and where I please, comrade. If you want to butt chests and exchange blows, hey, I won't play that because I'm a 32 year old dude with dignity. If you want to yell at me in person, though, I'm always game, and I'll give you a ****in' earful right back.

vitaflo said:
This is also one of the reasons Game Rankings is destroying the entire gaming review system of every publication. Every person bitching about lopsided review scores and screwed up scoring systems can trace the problem right back to Game Rankings.

Why are games basically only given scores from 6-10? Game Rankings. Why are there no 5 star systems (with no half stars)? Game Rankings. It's the bane of the video game review score system.
That's not the case at all. My 3-star review of Jade Empire had negligible effect on the game's average, which I think ended up at 90%. They use way too many outlets for even three outliers to affect the average.

And the 7-9 rating system existed long before GameRankings did.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Kabuki Waq said:
for all the spin in this thread it just comes down to .."wah wah wah a game i like got bad review" :p
that's what it looks to me too, I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't UG&G or a hyped game in gaf for that matter no one here would have given a shit whether parish or some other dude gets to review a game in 3 different publications.

Milkman

Drinky Crow said:
I'll come at you when and where I please, comrade. If you want to butt chests and exchange blows, hey, I won't play that because I'm a 32 year old dude with dignity. If you want to yell at me in person, though, I'm always game, and I'll give you a ****in' earful right back.

When I look at your post count on this thread alone, you don't need to start staking claims to dignity, Doug. You just make yourself sound like a douchebag and a pussy more and more at every turn. Sure, so do I. But between you and me, you're the only one who cares.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
okay, this is getting embarassing for all parties involved.

best if this shit is locked now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pachinko said:
I have to be honest here, this is the single most pathetic thread in GAF history(in in a forum filled with hentai appreciation and girlfriends creaming themselves on beds, that means something) and it makes me embarrased to ever mention these forums again. You people should be ashamed of yourselves for being this f.u.c.k.ing stupid.

Wah the game I want to buy got a poor review and do to various screwups was reviewed 3 times by the same person who happened to dislike it. So the f.u.c.k what! Seriously all you morons will buy it anyway and probally even love it.

Honestly I expect this level of brain damage on gamefaqs or IGN but gaf is supposed to be atleast a small babystep above this bullsh!t isn't it ?

I don't think anything is going to touch Sales-Age.

snatches, apparently Mielke -- due to his lesser post count -- is above callout and criticism, or at least has made a more-dignified spectacle of himself. (The criteria for internet dignity are apparently different than what I recall -- last I checked, they had something pretty clear to say about physical throwdowns and their place in messageboard histrionics.)

That said, I really don't have a retort that wouldn't be better expressed as a series of OA-esque emoticons.

Zenith

Banned
Milkman said:
I'm not a writer by trade, and it's not what I am. It's my job, nothing more, nothing less. When I settle down at the end of the day and evaluate what I am, I don't tell myself "I am a games journalist."

If reviews are just a source of income to you and you don't attach any notion of journalistic integrity to your work then why should we ever take anything you write seriously ever again?

It's because of people like you saying video game reviewing isn't important enough to warrant good standards of journalism that we've reached the sorry ass situation we have today.

skip

Hero said:
Also, if it were me, after this incident I might go out and get a large dry erase board and every month for the games you're reviewing, you might want to write down the names of the writers you assign for each release.

this is the part where I say "**** you."

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Zenith said:
It's because of people like you saying video game reviewing isn't important enough to warrant good standards of journalism that we've reached the sorry ass situation we have today.
the ****? why do you people care so much about reviews anyway? when you need another person other than yourself to dictate what you like or don't like then you seriously have problems.

this thread is really sad.

shuri

Banned
This thread is pretty much a concentrated version of everything that is wrong with the gaming section of the forum.

Flynn

I like that our community gets so worked up and bent out of shape every so often.

It means that a lot of people care. Passion is a good thing. When people stop caring, that's when we need to start worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom