• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Nintendo Treehouse rely on memes too much? (Tri Force Heroes Localization)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You guys are complaining about this NOW?

Try 2005

mqdefault.jpg

Oh god, this was/is so wretched. I remember when people on gaf were actually impressed by this garbage.

The example in the op is pretty TRI-hard too, imo.

Eh?

EH?

Oh god, this was/is so wretched. I remember when people on gaf were actually impressed by this garbage.

The example in the op is pretty TRI-hard too, imo.

Eh?

EH?

To be fair for that example, that happened at a time many of us would be teens and were more naive, stupid and easily led compared to our current selves.

Although damn, that does put in perspective just how old that is.

Now I really want to see "ayy lmao" in a Nintendo game.

I have this thread to thank for that. I'm going to be disappointed if it doesn't eventually happen.

bon

It really sucks because their localizations are otherwise excellent. No idea why they feel the need to slip these lazy unfunny references in.

Like, they have the privilege of localizing a Zelda game, and they work really hard on the script, and then they're like "man we just HAVE to cram a joke about the internet dog in here"?

Nanashrew

Banned
So TBB says the game is full of memes, yet I've only heard two (and one of them barely counts as it predates the internet)

I get the feeling there's overreaction going on.

It's The BitBlock, this is all he does on Twitter but make a big deal about the tiniest things. He is a die-hard purest about some subjects.

Nintendo of America is terrible, surprise

Over a tiny handful of dialogue boxes and not present in a majority of their work?

It's The BitBlock, this is all he does on Twitter but make a big deal about the tiniest things. He is a die-hard purest about some subjects.

Over a tiny handful of dialogue boxes and not present in a majority of their work?

Over the last 30 years of treatment of their customers actually

jonjonaug

I'm fine with stuff like this in silly RPGs and Zelda spinoffs. But I'm kinda worried that this might extend to stuff like Xenoblade X. It's a Takahashi game and Takahashi loves his weird shit. I can see Treehouse going "yeah we're not leaving THAT in!" considering that one of them literally said something like that already during a Nintendo stream and we already know that several references to religious/philosophical things have already been slightly altered or removed. The term "Logos" was removed from one of the acronyms in the game for example, when from what I know about plot spoilers its actually kind of major foreshadowing. Like, imagine if the word "Monado" was taken out of the original Xenoblade because a localizer thought the audience wouldn't get it. I'm worried that content in the game might be altered/removed too given Nintendo's recent track record but that's another issue entirely.

Basically I'm fine with the examples here. But when a localization company is willing to change content for what they think is better it worries me that they might do so in cases where adherence to the original script, even if said script is dry or a little weird, actually matters for the overall package.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm fine with stuff like this in silly RPGs and Zelda spinoffs. But I'm kinda worried that this might extend to stuff like Xenoblade X. It's a Takahashi game and Takahashi loves his weird shit. I can see Treehouse going "yeah we're not leaving THAT in!" considering that one of them literally said something like that already during a Nintendo stream and we already know that several references to religious/philosophical things have already been slightly altered or removed. The term "Logos" was removed from one of the acronyms in the game for example, when from what I know about plot spoilers its actually kind of major foreshadowing. Like, imagine if the word "Monado" was taken out of the original Xenoblade because a localizer thought the audience wouldn't get it. I'm worried that content in the game might be altered/removed too given Nintendo's recent track record but that's another issue entirely.

Basically I'm fine with the examples here. But when a localization company is willing to change content for what they think is better it worries me that they might do so in cases where adherence to the original script, even if said script is dry or a little weird, actually matters for the overall package.

8-4 is handling localization. And I seriously doubt Treehouse would insert memes into a game that's as serious as Xenoblade X.

NoA will find a way.

Kamui: hey flora...what you smoking?

Flora: D:<

Kamui: ayy lmao

If there was ever a new Wario game, I could actually hear Wario saying aaayyyy.

dity

8-4 is handling localization. And I seriously doubt Treehouse would insert memes into a game that's as serious as Xenoblade X.

If there was ever a new Wario game, I could actually hear Wario saying aaayyyy.

"Mommy, Charlie bit Xenoblade!"

Do it, 8-4.

jonjonaug

I'm not worried about memes in Xenoblade's case, but I am worried about the practice of changing lines or game elements to fit the audience when we're talking about a Takahashi game.

Nanashrew

Banned
To be fair 8-4 has put memes into their games too from time to time. Usually not as egregious though.

True, John TV already mentioned a bit of that about Monster Hunter earlier in the thread and explained why it was done.

Localized your comment there. :)

Joking aside, that character was one of the most popular in the game, and said localization actually made sense with his back story, so I respectfully disagree with your assertion. We don't use memes for the sake of using memes, but in MH, there is a lot of wackiness in the Japanese that is sometimes suitable for this sort of treatment. That keikaku thing wasn't dropped in for a quick laugh, his entire character is based on him being from overseas and mixing native vocab into his lines. It was a pittari fit!

That said...you can't please everyone. There's always the Japanese version!

PS - I love adorbs, it makes sense in the context of TFH (which people should really play before criticizing the localization).

--

I'm not worried about memes in Xenoblade's case, but I am worried about the practice of changing lines or game elements to fit the audience when we're talking about a Takahashi game.

Ah, right that. That's always going to be difficult cause nothing is going to translate exact. Some are already angry just because B.L.A.D.E. name was altered slightly to better fit English because before it was a jumbled mess of words that make no sense.

Azure J

Now I really want to see "ayy lmao" in a Nintendo game.

I have this thread to thank for that. I'm going to be disappointed if it doesn't eventually happen.

There needs to be a robot alien boss in Star Fox Zero that fizzles out before dropping the ayy lmao on everyone.

There needs to be a robot alien boss in Star Fox Zero that fizzles out before dropping the ayy lmao on everyone.
That's why SF0 was delayed. That's Falco's new catchphrase too.

Fox: Status report
Slippy: Wow! We did it!
Peppy: Somehow we made it through!
Falco: ayy lmao

Nose Master

Memes have a shelf life of about three days. Writing them into anything that should stand the test of time is asking for cringe.

I feel like using memes is pretty low quality pandering and usually a sign of some poor writing. I could live with it though, and certainly have in some games I've played. On occasion they've actually even been funny. The biggest thing I'm not a fan of with memes is their short lifespan and that their insertion into scripts could cause them to be ridiculously dated.

I guess that doesn't matter with a game like TFH, but still.

Why does everyone freak out about memes in games? I hate memes and I don't care. Is it because people are into memes and when put in a game makes it uncool?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Please. I'm so glad we're finally free after so many years of 'moms', 'elevators' and 'yeehaws'. We now have a script that actually is in the English indicated by the Union Flag on language select screens.

Pic semi related:

GwlnPjN.jpg

I love how American English is (Simplified) :lol

Raynes

I hope the first time you under perform on a job you get fired too, they are generally pretty good at what they do.

That game is riddled with shit writing. And there are no shortage of amazing writers out there. Being a bad writer is not a simple case of "underperforming" as you so kindly put it, it is a lack of talent. Improving will take a lot of time, and using these games as practice is not acceptable.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Eh, I'd argue it is a meme.

People think "memes" originated from the internet when actually they've stemmed far back from graffiti art, play dialog and even literature.
I think this thread is roughly on the same page when it comes to what type of memes this is about. The term technically is extremely broad so asking for no memes at all in games would basically be impossible. The question mark block is a meme. Coins are a meme. Mushrooms are a meme. We have a collective understanding of what they mean just by seeing them.

That's why I think the problem here really is the just example in the OP and not much else (let's remember josh from blocks of bits isn't posting here so his overreaction has no reflection here).

So less of a case of 'no [internet] memes in games' and more 'doge is stupid I never want to see it again'.

Kanhir

To clarify regarding the NOE translation in the OP: I would like to see a bit more context. If they were trying to portray that particular character as a kind of stuffy academic that bores everyone else around, then OK I see what NOE was going for. But if that was just a baseline "normal" way of speaking in the NOE script... Ugh. I'd rather read an entire game written in nothing but doge speak.

The EU diaries strike me as being from the perspective of a pretentious wannabe writer (the diary writer, not the game writer):

Tri Force Heroes said:
I had been assigned to serve at the castle... It was a joyous occasion, but it would also mean giving up writing...
I decided to first embark on a tour of the Drablands, and write a book the likes of which have never been seen!
I took my pen and my camera, and set off for the Drablands. Thus began my beautiful and terrifying journey.
[...]
Then, one day, as I was on my last legs, covered in cuts and bruises, I beheld a solitary butterfly.
Witnessing such beauty among the savagery eased my worried mind and I could finally rest.
Wanting to keep it as an amulet, but knowing I couldn't... Thinking those thoughts, I pressed X.

So I think the text in the OP being dry and wordy is sort of the point - it's characterisation. None of the other characters in the game (the EU version, at least) talk like that.

Nanashrew

Banned
The EU diaries strike me as being from the perspective of a pretentious wannabe writer:

So I think the text in the OP is meant to be dry and wordy - it's the characterisation of the writer. None of the other characters in the game (the EU version, at least) talk like that.

This reminds me of something Caaaww said about the recent things we've gotten from Xenoblade X, in that the NA version so far sounds more accurate to the original JP while the EU localization is way too wordy like what I'm reading here in your example.

pastrami

I don't get the meddling experiments one from Fire Emblem... :(

This thread, by the way... HAHA

Scooby-Dooby Doo, where are you? It's the catch phrase of the villains in the show. "And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids."

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ayy lmao is the one phrase that I can't think of anything it would fit with

inb4 there's a Conquest plot summary and that's literally the only thing there

but there are no aliens in FE!

With that said Rosalina fits ayy lmao well. Imagine Mario squealing "ayy le-mao, it's-ah Rosalina!" with a thick stereotypical italian accent.

Is this a meme or just general leetspeak?

leetspeak is a meme

or was

plenty of things we thought aren't memes were memes too

Mr. Jimmy

Zelda discussion always brings the worst out of many people. It's just a silly line in a game that's meant to be fun. Sorry if a meme destroys your precious immersion, now you are just Cheerleader Link running as a totem.

Top Bottom